Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    UH ok...I asked what facts you were citing...you didnt reply; so I assume again this is an OPINION not a fact.

The 2.5g had many functionalities that were not available, be them hardware or software....go look at the iphone pages on the net. There are many cracks that either fix or correct issues of non-functionality in the phone.

A crack signifies something being opened up or made functional that was either disabled or not being utilized.

If everything was being used 100%, then there would be no reason for a CRACK.

Let's leave it at this....you comment that the iphoney (lol had to say that), is and was 100% functioning and using all its hardware from day one is a bit inacurate to say the least, and I cant think of ANY phone that is 100% as you put it on day 1, and some phones never make it to that point. The reason being....the engineers and designers design in upgrade ability for future developement.

I think someone mentioned it before, in not so many words; why beat a dead horse? if ya dont like the Pre fine...move on get yourself your DREAM PERFECT phone. Nothing myself or anyone here says will sway your view point of how 100% and superior the iPhoney is to the Pre.

BTW: read my post a few up and you can have that perfect phone.

I checked before i hit the Submit button
    All that to say you couldn't name one piece of the iPhone hardware it wasn't using on day one?

"I can't." is a lot shorter, for future reference.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Actually, it only takes 3 days to develop an app for WebOS. Remember that one from CES?

What it really takes is developers. Do we actually know that there are a lot of major developers coming on board or is that just wishful thinking?
    Hmmm ok good point.
    I wouldn't say we know, but an educated guess would be that there are going to be more in the future.

From Palms stand point it is an educated gamble that this will happen, just as was the case for the advent and roll out of the iphoney(im liking that term these days).

Remember in the beginning the iphoney was slow to have lots of apps, useable or not. I think we will see the same with the Pre.

On that poing and to go along with yours though, I would have to say that if Palm, and to some extent Sprint, were to more agressively and positivly market and promote the Pre, we would see more rapid developement of apps for the WebOS platform.

I might note as well, that Apple had way more resources and capital to put into their deveolpement than Palm has had.

But even so, with WebOS being open source, i think that will make it much easier to expand on the apps base, and make it more appealing to developers.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All that to say you couldn't name one piece of the iPhone hardware it wasn't using on day one?

"I can't." is a lot shorter, for future reference.

Uh i did in not so many words....I could have gone and pasted tons of links here...but im not...

The horse is dead I'm going to leave it alone.

You and others have your opinion and myself and others have ours...enough said.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    But even so, with WebOS being open source, i think that will make it much easier to expand on the apps base, and make it more appealing to developers.
    Open source is fine but if they do not release a proper SDK and or allow unofficial functions to be used, we will never see the same caliber of apps that are on Android or iPhones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Obviously you were not sincere about moving on....

Seriously?? I was combining your "missing features, apps and options" to simply "problems and issues". I didn't realize this would cause further debate.
    That's what you don't get. There's no debate.

When I said that the Pre is "missing a LOT of features, apps, and options that competing platforms have." That's fact. It's not an "issue" or a "problem" or an opinion.

It's simple.

"Hey, my car doesn't run as smoothly as I think it should, and definitely not as smoothly as that Dodge Charger Hemi down the block" = arguable, subjective opinion.
    "Hey, my car doesn't have the Microsoft Sync voice-activated computer control that the Ford Taurus down the block has" = objective, inarguable fact.

There's nothing to debate. So again, for the cheap seats, Pre is missing a LOT of features, apps, and options that completing platforms have. Each platform is missing some things that others have. The Pre is missing more than their competitors. If you want me to draw up a list, fine, but let's move that to a new thread in the Cross-Platform Chat forum.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Open source is fine but if they do not release a proper SDK and or allow unofficial functions to be used, we will never see the same caliber of apps that are on Android or iPhones.
    Maybe so, but i think we will see that change....maybe not.

To be honest I would like to see Nokia acquire Palm and let Palm operate as their own entity; and with the influx of cash and resources, be able to excellerate the needed developement.

Not to mention my palm stock going way up
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    but let's move that to a new thread in the Cross-Platform Chat forum.
    All I can say is to your entire post above with the exception of the quoted content. This topic has drifted beyond recognition.
    +1000 without the sdk apps like shazaam etc arent possible... which is my only problem..
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Pre is missing a LOT of features, apps, and options that completing platforms have. Each platform is missing some things that others have. The Pre is missing more than their competitors. If you want me to draw up a list, fine, but let's move that to a new thread in the Cross-Platform Chat forum.
    OK....but is there any phone that in its infancy (under six months out) that has not been missing something the others have?

Thats marketing and free enterprise...you try to do something the other guy hasn't, maybe it will catch on and be accepted as better and we will make money on it.

If all phones were the same (apps, harware, abilty) we wouldnt need all the choices we have, and we would all have the same phones.

The same is said for different phones for different people. To me the pre is great; to you it isnt. I dont care about movies, graphics, games on my phone. You seem too.

This being the fact, you will never make everyone happy with 1 phone. Its the olde "grass is allways greener" thing.

This thread here is becoming more and more objective as it goes....all of us included.

Lets leave it at we have all stated our points. agree or not.

And face facts, undoubtedly one of us here will want to continue it on (not me).

And just for the record I have 2 iphoneys here in the desk drawer, ya want em I will sell em cheap. We didnt like them and quit using them..they were replaced by Palm phones (mine now a Pre) and my wife went to an Instinct, and both got Zunes.

IM OUTTA HERE
    And just for the record I have 2 iphoneys here in the desk drawer, ya want em I will sell em cheap. We didnt like them and quit using them..they were replaced by Palm phones (mine now a Pre) and my wife went to an Instinct, and both got Zunes.

IM OUTTA HERE
    Ohhhhh, did you get Zune HD's? How do you like them so far? I'm thinking of getting one instead of an iPod Touch.
    DocHemi, pm me...if the price is right, I will take the iphones..

my dad is looking for one
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeester68 View Post
    Ohhhhh, did you get Zune HD's? How do you like them so far? I'm thinking of getting one instead of an iPod Touch.
    We love our zunes.

My wife has the HD and likes it...mine is just a basic 80GB model.

But I like them, and bettert that the iPhoneys we had, and any iPods
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    DocHemi, pm me...if the price is right, I will take the iphones..

my dad is looking for one
    Sorry Man....with 1/2 hour after that post, I was PM'd and they went out the door for $200 for both with all the accessories.
    We love our zunes.

My wife has the HD and likes it...mine is just a basic 80GB model.

But I like them, and bettert that the iPhoneys we had, and any iPods
    I LOVE my Zune HD. I have the 32gb version. I do not listen to music on any phone, except for the internet radio - phones do not have the space for my CD collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The scoring system was for the OP's needs, and as such is fine. Folks with different needs for apps, and/or different priorities, will score differently. That's why options are great!
    And why all opinions (which are unique and subjective) are VALID.

Can't really flame the OP; he made his case and it is what works for him.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    When the iPhone came out there were functions and abilities that were not enabled..thus it is not using 100% of its available hardware and resources.
    All the upgrades to the first-gen iPhone after release were software features. The hardware was fully utilized from the get-go, including the GPU (which sits idle in the Pre).
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Ah just curious......but did you take into account that in the iPhone's beginning it didnt have all the apps that are out there now? Remember ...the iPhone is much older and been around for alot more than the 5 months Pre has been out.

It takes time to develope apps.

I would bet when the Pre (and WebOS) are out for as long as the iPhone, that there will be just as many apps or more available.
    It is a big mistake to try to equate progress of both platforms on the same time scale. The iPhone had a sophisticated native SDK from day one, 12+ months before Apple even released it to third party developers. When it went third party, the SDK was extensive with great documentation. The iPhone used its GPU from day one, with extensive use of OpenGL throughout the OS, making the user experience very good and improving power efficiency (=better battery life). When developers showed up, they had a robust OpenGL implementation for 2D and 3D graphics.

There are many more legitimate reasons like these that helped the iPhone app market explode like it did, and time was simply how you could measure the progress. The Pre is lacking these particular strengths I cited, and many, many more. That is why the Pre app market is limping along right now, and growing so slowly. The SDK is simply not sophisticated enough to drive the kind of app explosion we saw on the iPhone. The sooner people educate themselves about this and adjust their expectations, the better off we'll be. You simply cannot compare these two platforms on the same time scale; it's a night and day difference.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    it is a big mistake to try to equate progress of both platforms on the same time scale. The iphone had a sophisticated native sdk from day one, 12+ months before apple even released it to third party developers. When it went third party, the sdk was extensive with great documentation. The iphone used its gpu from day one, with extensive use of opengl throughout the os, making the user experience very good and improving power efficiency (=better battery life). When developers showed up, they had a robust opengl implementation for 2d and 3d graphics.

There are many more legitimate reasons like these that helped the iphone app market explode like it did, and time was simply how you could measure the progress. The pre is lacking these particular strengths i cited, and many, many more. That is why the pre app market is limping along right now, and growing so slowly. The sdk is simply not sophisticated enough to drive the kind of app explosion we saw on the iphone. The sooner people educate themselves about this and adjust their expectations, the better off we'll be. You simply cannot compare these two platforms on the same time scale; it's a night and day difference.
    point well made
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I LOVE my Zune HD. I have the 32gb version. I do not listen to music on any phone, except for the internet radio - phones do not have the space for my CD collection.
    There are several 32GB phones available - just like your Zune.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    its a gen 1 phone, iphone is gen 3.. apples->oranges
    What does 1st gen vs. 3rd gen have to do with build quality?
    It's not like Palm has never made a mobile device before. In fact, I believe they have been making hand held devices (of some sort) longer than Apple.
    The certainly are not new to this arena.

I have no issues running multiple apps
    This all depends on the Apps you are running.

its a gen 1 phone... the sony playstation 3 doesnt even have games yet that fully utilize its hardware yet... it takes time
    I would agree with this to an extent. This will take some time.

used based outcome... my battery lasts 1.5 days without a charge
    I'm not sure how your stock battery is lasting 36 hours. Unless you just let it sit on the dresser and never use it. My wife's barely lasts that if she leaves it sitting at her desk at work or under her seat in the car and never uses i! Trust me... she has tested this theory numerous times..

There is no denying that stock battery life is horrid.

dont really have a comment for that other than the Pre's is sharper
    lol. OK.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast