Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 120
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    I find this statement rather odd especially coming from someone that says they are thinking about switching to an iPhone. The reason I find it odd is because from what I have read, the iPhone and the Pre have basically the same hardware (CPU). Everything I have seen suggests that the iPhone and the Pre technically have the same specs/power (same architecture) albiet different brands. So...ya I am slightly confused about your comment.
    Let's not be daft:

    iPhone screen - Glass. Not easily scratched. Screams high quality.
    Pre screen - Plastic. EXTREMELY easy to scratch. Prone to blotches and dead pixels.

    iPhone charging - port at bottom of device. Easy to mount to cradles, car mounts, whatever. Open.
    Pre charging - Hard to open (with the device closed), yet flimsy door. Located on side, so doing car mounts and cradles is not easy. Prone to cracks. NOT open.

    iPhone overall feel - solid. Glass. Metal. Durable.
    Pre overall feel - plastic. Slick. Creaky keyboard. oreo slider. NOT durable.
  2. #42  
    I'd just like the apps that we *do* have on par with the same apps on other platforms. Just driving to a new location today, where I had to use my GPS, these two became real headaches:

    1) google maps: why is that huge search bar up over the map at all times? Put the thing in the menu where it belongs. Where is the directional arrow on my current location? Why can't I save favorites? Why *must* I pinch to zoom out, vs SOME form of single-handed interface?

    2) sprint navigation: Why is there no option to NOT use the A2DP profile when connected to my car? Now I either get the voice interrupting the music playing from the phone (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), or I never hear it at all if I'm listening to the radio on the car (that is a problem).

    Grrrr. Less apps isn't a problem. Lack of quality in the ones we do have, especially those shipped on the phone, most certainly is.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post

    And....are you psychic???? You know what is "coming in the pipeline"? Wow enlighten us all so we know what ot look for HEHE
    Oh, it's quite simple actually. With Palm's WebOS SDK, developers simply cannot create the sort of apps that are available on the iPhone/Android. So that about does it.

    We're stuck looking at barely glorified web "apps" on the Pre, quite unfortunately.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The G1 was a gen 1 phone that came out, and was great right out of the box, even without the app support. The iPhone was great when it was a gen 1 device. Blackberry's Storm is even better as a gen 1 device. Palm made a big mistake pairing their new OS with such poor hardware. Gen 1 device or not, there are better options out there.
    I hate to bring up an older post in the thread but I couldn't help it.

    The G1 was great right out of the box? lol Uh, no. Almost no apps, basic webmail services only, horrible hardware design. No, no, no.

    The Blackberry Storm was an ever better gen 1 device? lolololol.

    You have no credibility left at all.

    I see the point in comparing gen 1 phones theoretically, but it is really irrelevant. How good is the phone compared to all the current competition? That is what matters. The Moto Star Tac was a great gen 1 flip phone. But would you compare it to a gen 1 Palm Pre?

    Things change and you compete against current products.

    So while you make a good point that gen 1 or not there are other good options out there, your facts to back it up or silly at best.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
  5. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Let's not be daft:
    Hey good idea. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

    His statement "Palm made a big mistake pairing their new OS with such poor hardware." New OS with poor hardware. To me, hardware refers to the core arcitecture as in the CPU/GPU. There are not very many posts about "build quality" compaired to performance. Spec for spec, the Pre and iPhone are very similar.
  6. omardd98's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #46  
    RKKELLEr I agree with you 100% Sprint plans are much better than ATT. A friend pays about 68.00more than I do. I love the apps of the iphone and I hope Pre gets close to some of the cool stuff they have.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Hey good idea. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

    His statement "Palm made a big mistake pairing their new OS with such poor hardware." New OS with poor hardware. To me, hardware refers to the core arcitecture as in the CPU/GPU. There are not very many posts about "build quality" compaired to performance. Spec for spec, the Pre and iPhone are very similar.
    The screen isn't part of the hardware? Or the charging port? Good to know that Palm can upgrade those with an OTA release. Maybe 2.0?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    To me, hardware refers to the core arcitecture as in the CPU/GPU. There are not very many posts about "build quality" compaired to performance. Spec for spec, the Pre and iPhone are very similar.
    This is a good point. Folks should probably be a little bit more careful with terms. There is nothing wrong with the Pre's hardware. Build quality / form factor (glass vs. plastic) might be another matter.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    This is a good point. Folks should probably be a little bit more careful with terms. There is nothing wrong with the Pre's hardware. Build quality / form factor (glass vs. plastic) might be another matter.
    Even in this semantic rut, the Pre is lacking because it doesn't actually use parts of its hardware. In effect, they are disabled until Palm gets its act together.
  10. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Ok, Doc. It appears you are the psychic one.

    His point is that historical context and what might come years down the line is meaningless to what he needs today. It's kinda amazing you believe the Pre will go from 350 or so apps to 100,000 in the next eleven months, tho.
    No not psychic, just think thats where it will go.

    And i don't recall mentioning the time line of 11 months???? iPhone has been out much longer than 11 months, thus had lots more time to develope apps for it.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    And i don't recall mentioning the time line of 11 months???? iPhone has been out much longer than 11 months, thus had lots more time to develope apps for it.
    iPhone app store was released roughly 16-17 months ago. 11 months from now, Palm's App Catalog will have been available for the same time. If Palm reaches even one tenth of the current iPhone app tally number by then, I will be amazed.

    You said they'd be equivalent.
  12. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    This is a good point. Folks should probably be a little bit more careful with terms. There is nothing wrong with the Pre's hardware. Build quality / form factor (glass vs. plastic) might be another matter.
    Agreed. I do feel there are some aspects of the build quality and build decisions that should have been revisited. The USB port, dumbest idea ever! Honeslty though, aside from that, I think the rest of the build quality is ok. Everyone speaks of oreo effect and then compair to an iphone that doesn't have a physical keyboard. Thats funny to me. Also what is funny is that every slide out keyboard has some degree of oreo. My Pre has very little and far less then the last HTC Touch Pro I had.

    I don't get the big deal between glass vs plastic though. No matter what my phone has for screen material, I always get a screen protector. Thats just me of course. As long as the screen works like it is supposed to, I am fine.

    @ Mikah912
    Oh and lets get one thing straight. The iPhone has it's own fair share of short comings. You can spout off all day long what the Pre lack and the iPhone has better but I bet if you go troll the iPhone forums, you will find very similar posts bashing on the iPhone. Get used to the fact that no matter what phone you have, it will always have some degree of issues. For me, the Pre has been the best Phone I have ever had. It's not perfect but it has given me far less issues, and cost me far less in service (Sprint service) then any other phone I have had or will.
  13. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I'd just like the apps that we *do* have on par with the same apps on other platforms. Just driving to a new location today, where I had to use my GPS, these two became real headaches:

    1) google maps: why is that huge search bar up over the map at all times? Put the thing in the menu where it belongs. Where is the directional arrow on my current location? Why can't I save favorites? Why *must* I pinch to zoom out, vs SOME form of single-handed interface?

    2) sprint navigation: Why is there no option to NOT use the A2DP profile when connected to my car? Now I either get the voice interrupting the music playing from the phone (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), or I never hear it at all if I'm listening to the radio on the car (that is a problem).

    Grrrr. Less apps isn't a problem. Lack of quality in the ones we do have, especially those shipped on the phone, most certainly is.
    Maybe this is off topic a bit but here goes...

    You have to remember with apps like Sprint NAV, no phone will ever be able to be as acurate as a dedicated GPS system. A phone can not (at least at this point) have room to fit in your pocket ,as we all want, and still have the high quality GPS reciever, antenna, and associated hardware required for Quality and Dead on acurracy.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Even in this semantic rut, the Pre is lacking because it doesn't actually use parts of its hardware. In effect, they are disabled until Palm gets its act together.
    Oh, sure. That's a software problem, though -- thanks for the crippled OS/SDK, Palm!
  15. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The screen isn't part of the hardware? Or the charging port? Good to know that Palm can upgrade those with an OTA release. Maybe 2.0?
    Last time i checked the screen and charging port...yep they are HARDWARE......

    I coulod be wrong maybe I better go back to school and brush up on my tech....


    HEHE
  16. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Even in this semantic rut, the Pre is lacking because it doesn't actually use parts of its hardware. In effect, they are disabled until Palm gets its act together.

    UH did iPhone use 100% of its hardware on its roll out debut?
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    UH did iPhone use 100% of its hardware on its roll out debut?
    Yep.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Oh, sure. That's a software problem, though -- thanks for the crippled OS/SDK, Palm!
    Righto. But I'm not some lone nut calling issues with the screen, casing, port, etc. "hardware" problems. That's the industry standard, so I'm not sure where you three are getting this "Hardware is the internal chipset tech only" thing from:

    Check Endgadget's review of the Pre:

    Palm Pre review, part 1: Hardware, webOS, user interface -- Engadget

    Big heading that says "The Hadrware". The section is nine paragraphs long. ONE paragraph talks about the processor guts. The rest is all "This port is here. This feels X. This flap snapped off."

    Same for Gizmodo's:

    Palm Pre Review - Palm pre review - Gizmodo

    I could point to other sites, but I think you get the point.
  19. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Agreed. I do feel there are some aspects of the build quality and build decisions that should have been revisited. The USB port, dumbest idea ever! Honeslty though, aside from that, I think the rest of the build quality is ok. Everyone speaks of oreo effect and then compair to an iphone that doesn't have a physical keyboard. Thats funny to me. Also what is funny is that every slide out keyboard has some degree of oreo. My Pre has very little and far less then the last HTC Touch Pro I had.

    I don't get the big deal between glass vs plastic though. No matter what my phone has for screen material, I always get a screen protector. Thats just me of course. As long as the screen works like it is supposed to, I am fine.

    @ Mikah912
    Oh and lets get one thing straight. The iPhone has it's own fair share of short comings. You can spout off all day long what the Pre lack and the iPhone has better but I bet if you go troll the iPhone forums, you will find very similar posts bashing on the iPhone. Get used to the fact that no matter what phone you have, it will always have some degree of issues. For me, the Pre has been the best Phone I have ever had. It's not perfect but it has given me far less issues, and cost me far less in service (Sprint service) then any other phone I have had or will.
    Hey i have a GREAT IDEA....

    If your phone isnt what you want....and you cant find a phone that has what you want, or think it should have....


    Get about 40-100 million dollars together, go hire some crack engineers, programers and the like.

    Do all the R&D and develope a phone and OS that fits your needs 100%.

    If everyone just did this simple little thing everyone would be happy

    (for those of you that didn't notice...that was sarcasim)
  20. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Yep.
    Sorry I have to disagree with ya.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions