Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, I use the Hero on Sprint and have the same 3G coverage and low plan prices Pre users have.
    And you still come to Precentral.net every day because?

I think its great that you enjoy the Hero (I personally can't stand it) and I am also happy that the OP chose an iPhone. Why not go to the respective forums for your phones and discuss them there?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    And you still come to Precentral.net every day because?
    1. I want Palm to succeed, and I like to keep up with WebOS' progress. It's fully feasible that I could switch back to WebOS on different hardware and with a more mature app catalog.
    2. I bought the Pre and used it extensively just like the rest of you, and I more than have the right to come here to weigh in on these topics.
    3. It's a very nice community, and I like it here.
    1. I want Palm to succeed, and I like to keep up with WebOS' progress. It's fully feasible that I could switch back to WebOS on different hardware and with a more mature app catalog.
    2. I bought the Pre and used it extensively just like the rest of you, and I more than have the right to come here to weigh in on these topics.
    3. It's a very nice community, and I like it here.
    4. You're addicted the the drama, just like the rest of us.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Compared to how it was before the Pre actually released, I think it's a LOT less dramatic. Seemed like the front page had no less than 6-7 100+ post threads each day.
    I'm always flabbergasted when I read something like this. The largesse of the iPhone App Store is what one would call a good problem to have.

There's a HUGE difference between only using 3-4 apps regularly because you've filtered down through tens of thousands of choices and have the absolute best for your needs and only using 3-4 apps regularly because...well, there are only really 3-4 apps good for you in the current puny App Catalog.

I'll take the choices. So will most people. Hence Apple (and to a lesser degree, Android) running away with this competitive advantage.

I loved Pandora when I was using the Pre, but damn, it's nice to now be able to choose from Pandora, Slacker, last.fm, iMusic, and several other choices on iPhone and Android. (For the record, Slacker rules them all). Rhapsody is already on iPhone and will be on Android in the next 30-45 days.

That's why a robust app store matters.
    Hm, so its not valid to point out that most of my friends with iPhone now hate going into the app store because of its largesse? They pretty much don't go there unless someone tells them about a specific app to take a look at, and spending your life filtering through 10s of thousands of apps for 3-4 useful/fun ones doens't sound that great to me. I'm not knocking the iPhone. I'd probably have gotten one if it were not on AT&T. I'm just saying like others have, there are great phone choices out there and you have to make a decision based on your needs. Besides, I use Pandora, Shoutcast, Accuradio, and Net2Streams. How are those not decent streaming radio services since you are comparing to what you are now using on the iPhone?
    I remember at the time of CES and afterwards. Mcnamee was saying how easily apps could be ported over. Facebook shared the stage with them so people assumed great things from facebook and palm. They wow'ed everyone it seemed.

I even remember Palm being a little hyped up saying why shouldn't they charge more than the iphone if they have something better? (or something to that effect..)

The iphone 3GS didn't do much at all to hurt Palm. Palm hurt Palm.

Some examples:

OS with growing pains? No problem. Make a form factor that is solid, high quality, and specced out. Didn't do that.

Great OS with potential? Market that sucker. Show it off. Umm..nope..insert some bizarre woman commericals instead while sprint does mindless commericals for the ADD crowd.

Focus on the Pre and webOS? Let it incubate at Sprint and realize its potential? Nope..let's do an even cheaper lowend Pixi, make webOS development that much more complex and waste limited resources. Who cares if the Pre's graphics aren't being used.

Work with big name developers to get some app anchors in the store? Nope. Let's start and end with Pandora which took all of 30mins to develop on a napkin supposedly. In 6 months we can throw in a barebones facebook app (who if you remember, shared the stage with Palm at CES).

Develop your own desktop sync solution that provides a full backup? Nope..let's be sneaky and pretend we're an ipod. Use itunes instead

Develop a Pixi? Worst decision ever. It deserves mentioning again.

Have free sprint nav? Let's forget about car mount solutions.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    How about doing what I've done...Go and buy an iPod touch, download all of the useless and useful apps and, still retain your Palm Pre! I actually got my iPod touch from ebay for less than $125 used! Compare that with having to pay an additional $50 a month (here in the states) for the next 2 years and you can see why this is the best alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeester68 View Post
    Hm, so its not valid to point out that most of my friends with iPhone now hate going into the app store because of its largesse? They pretty much don't go there unless someone tells them about a specific app to take a look at, and spending your life filtering through 10s of thousands of apps for 3-4 useful/fun ones doens't sound that great to me. I'm not knocking the iPhone. I'd probably have gotten one if it were not on AT&T. I'm just saying like others have, there are great phone choices out there and you have to make a decision based on your needs. Besides, I use Pandora, Shoutcast, Accuradio, and Net2Streams. How are those not decent streaming radio services since you are comparing to what you are now using on the iPhone?
    I didn't say anything about validity. What I said was that while the App Store scope and volume may be a problem, it's a good problem to have because it denotes that you are at the top of your class and have the power strictly in your hands - in the form of making a more effective interface - to solve this problem.

Whereas Palm's problem is a bad problem to have because it denotes that you are at the very bottom, have little leverage to sway major developers to your side with, and that solving this problem is NOT within your power to control. You must - so to speak - depend on the kindness of strangers.

Also, as I already said...I use a HTC Hero, not an iPhone. But there's a difference between just accessing streaming radio (e.g. Shoutcast, Net2Streams), using streaming radio that works off your recommendations and that you can fast forward past (e.g. Pandora, Slacker), and being able to access any music, anywhere, at any time while having to host it on your device (e.g. Rhapsody).

The Pre does just fine in the first category, doesn't have the leading apps in the second, and has nothing to offer in the third whatsoever. I'm hopeful that will change, but there are no indications that will happen any time soon.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pmckean View Post
    Applications. +100 for the iPhone. Yep, it's all about the apps. Smartphones are applications platforms at heart and the iPhone is peerless in this regard. The phenomenal number of apps, both good and bad, blows away anything WebOS has, or has coming in the pipeline.
    Ah just curious......but did you take into account that in the iPhone's beginning it didnt have all the apps that are out there now? Remember ...the iPhone is much older and been around for alot more than the 5 months Pre has been out.

It takes time to develope apps.

I would bet when the Pre (and WebOS) are out for as long as the iPhone, that there will be just as many apps or more available.

And....are you psychic???? You know what is "coming in the pipeline"? Wow enlighten us all so we know what ot look for HEHE
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Have free sprint nav? Let's forget about car mount solutions.
    +1,000,000 on all your other points, but I think this one is not just Palm's fault. Sprint doesn't highlight this value add on any device, and the only device they have that could really use this is the HTC Hero. Unlike the idiotic charging situation on the Pre, the Hero not only has the USB power port open and at the bottom of the device, but it also runs Sprint Nav easily in landscape and portrait.
    We will have to see how flash performs on the Pre in comparison to other hardware. So far we haven't seen any graphical applications, and this is hurting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    pmckean, in the UK are the plans for the iPhone so outrageously more expensive than the plans for the Pre?
    The 3GS and the Pre have exactly the same plans on 02. Other networks are selling the 3G cheaper than the Pre (and 3GS obviously.)

Hope this helps
    Vas
    Great OS with potential? Market that sucker. Show it off. Umm..nope..insert some bizarre woman commericals instead while sprint does mindless commericals for the ADD crowd.
    Undoubtedly, if Palm has done anything wrong, they have certainly failed to market the phone properly. There are still lots of normal every day people who don't know what the Pre is or only know because they happened to see a poster in Best Buy. Sprint's commercials were about Sprint, not the Pre--they only included the Pre as bolstering Sprint. Sprint did not at all market the Pre. Nothing like the marketed the Instinct. Perhaps they over-reacted to the backlash from the Instinct marketing campaign.

Palm at least produced some commercials for the Pre, but they were just too odd, and you saw a lot more washed-out Tamara Hope than Pre--plus they probably didn't get enough play time due to low budgets on Palm's side.

Pre I has likely missed it's window for a big ad push, though Verizon could do something with it if they get some revisions to the Pre (a 16GB version is a no-brainer).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=cardfan;2048748]

Some examples:

OS with growing pains? No problem. Make a form factor that is solid, high quality, and specced out. Didn't do that.[QUOTE]

Uh....was the iPhone flawless when it was first released? Don't know about your, but the one my daughter bought on day one, was totally messed up, and she had software issues through 4 phones....eventually switching to Sprint and a Treo.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Palm made a big mistake pairing their new OS with such poor hardware.
    I find this statement rather odd especially coming from someone that says they are thinking about switching to an iPhone. The reason I find it odd is because from what I have read, the iPhone and the Pre have basically the same hardware (CPU). Everything I have seen suggests that the iPhone and the Pre technically have the same specs/power (same architecture) albiet different brands. So...ya I am slightly confused about your comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    And....are you psychic???? You know what is "coming in the pipeline"? Wow enlighten us all so we know what ot look for HEHE
    I would bet when the Pre (and WebOS) are out for as long as the iPhone, that there will be just as many apps or more available.
    Ok, Doc. It appears you are the psychic one.

His point is that historical context and what might come years down the line is meaningless to what he needs today. It's kinda amazing you believe the Pre will go from 350 or so apps to 100,000 in the next eleven months, tho.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Kindle
    Slingbox
    decent facebook
    pockettunes
    navigation with maps
    direct tv
    ebay
    paypal
    wsj app
    banking apps
    any game on the level of bejeweled
    shazam
    office

The list goes on..
    Let's be fair here. I see Kindle, Slingbox, Facebook, shazam and office as real shortcomings of Pre. But ebay, paypal, wsj app, are not that important. A mobile website could handle them well.

Banking is an interesting one, because I can see the potential of them as apps and make life a lot easier, but on the other hand, I have see bad banking apps before. I will check them out on my wife's iphone.

As for gaming, Pre is behind. But that's all up to taste.

Pocket tunes, direct TV and navigation all have equivalent on Pre. Yes, Sprint navigation requires data connection, but for most of the users, that's not a problem. If you really plan to hike out in the wild, you better take a special rugged GPS device that works all the time and use as little battery as possible. Maybe for AT&T with so little 3G coverage, it is a big problem, but Sprint, I don't see that.

Overall, I don't worry about the exact number of apps on Pre. But the willingness of banks, new papers and etc. willing to create their own apps for iPhone is a big advantage for it. That's hard to overcome with a small market. So I think it would be wise for Palm to dedicate a team to create such apps and go to these big guys and offer to create apps for them. Banking is a good one, stock trading is another. Both I think are very doable, but Pre needs to work out with the companies to make sure they are comfortable with the level of security in those apps.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sprint's commercials were about Sprint, not the Pre--they only included the Pre as bolstering Sprint. Sprint did not at all market the Pre. Nothing like the marketed the Instinct. Perhaps they over-reacted to the backlash from the Instinct marketing campaign.
    Not the Facebook commercial. They ran that a lot at the beginning, and it was about the Pre, not the Now Network. Oh, and the Sprint/Palm Pre Donuts in Space ad? Also, very well seen.

Palm at least produced some commercials for the Pre, but they were just too odd, and you saw a lot more washed-out Tamara Hope than Pre--plus they probably didn't get enough play time due to low budgets on Palm's side.
    Not the case at all. I see 15-second versions of the Tamara Hope ads STILL running incessantly on Food Network, Top Chef, and now during AMC's The PRisoner remake. Almost six months later, they STILL haven't gotten the message quickly enough.

Pre I has likely missed it's window for a big ad push, though Verizon could do something with it if they get some revisions to the Pre (a 16GB version is a no-brainer).
    Nope. Only one chance to make a first impression. Palm made it. It sucked.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    If the main reason for picking the iPhone 3GS is apps, then why not just get an iTouch and forgo the monthly plan? I wouldn't mind a WebOS non-phone PDA someday. I might just go back to a dumbphone and a PDA; being always connected is like being addicted to a drug! My family would appreciate me not having email at every waking moment.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    [QUOTE=DocHemi;2048800][QUOTE=cardfan;2048748]

Some examples:

OS with growing pains? No problem. Make a form factor that is solid, high quality, and specced out. Didn't do that.

Uh....was the iPhone flawless when it was first released? Don't know about your, but the one my daughter bought on day one, was totally messed up, and she had software issues through 4 phones....eventually switching to Sprint and a Treo.
    The iphone came with a glass screen, was solid. And in 2007 made the other form factors look bad. Yep, iphone had software problems and lacked apps but the eye candy and quality of hardware made it tolerable. I took it back and used the Centro because it wasn't tolerable enough.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast