Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    +1,000
    well said!!!!!!

to each his own!!!!!

but sadly it is the pre fanatics who blow these threads out of proportion, you do not see people going to I love my pre threads and quoting someones post and saying "your wrong all you do is troll this site ranting and raving about the pre" "go get another pre if you like it so much" "blah blah blah blah"

People need to stick to their own types of threads!!!! if you cross threads to quote somebody and tell them how their opinion is wrong that is trolling it goes both ways people.
    I don't mean to attack but I am getting tired of people posting threads over and over crying about battery life, smiley faces and applications that make fart noises. I do understand that some people are experiencing hardware issues which are all covered under the warranty and the protection plan but lets not keep complaining about it over and over. If you don't like the phone than get rid of it nobody here cares so don't post a thread about it. Everybody is looking for different features in a phone, mine is I need the ability to quickly access several web pages at once and the pre is the best for that. Blackberrys are great in their own way and if that is what you need than go for it but please stop bashing my phone.
    Gee Tom, Which way will the wind be blowing tomorrow? Are you always so wishy washy about stuff? BTW I stand corrected, you have a few positive posts, you even seem to have the opinion that if you dont like the Pre don't post here....I'm not attacking your opinion for no reason Tom, I'm saying your opinion isnt worth much because it will change next week for no reason it seems.....

In sales I encounter people who really experiance "buyers remorse" It happens. I think and this is just my opinion, but if the grass is greener Tom....why not how did you put it? "If you don't like the phone than get rid of it nobody here cares so don't post a thread about it"
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 11/17/2009 at 08:43 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Gee Tom, Which way will the wind be blowing tomorrow? Are you always so wishy washy about stuff? BTW I stand corrected, you have a few positive posts, you even seem to have the opinion that if you dont like the Pre don't post here....I'm not attacking your opinion for no reason Tom, I'm saying your opinion isnt worth much because it will change next week for no reason it seems.....

In sales I encounter people who really experiance "buyers remorse" It happens. I think and this is just my opinion, but if the grass is greener Tom....why not how did you put it? "If you don't like the phone than get rid of it nobody here cares so don't post a thread about it"
    quote first off that statement is pulled away out of context from a thread 4 months ago when yes complaining after 1 months release is a little much 5 months now is the time to start complaining.
    Bought my pre off contract so I am up for an update in exactly 3 months and if palm does not make some significant advances I will most definately jump ship. I love the pre for its potential but it is not being utilized right now, right now I have a gpu chip in my pre that I paid for that has been doing nothing for 4 months now.

Smartphones have so much more potential than a web browser and a calendar which are generally offered in the app store which I am disappointed to say we still do not have yet, not to mention developers are starting to lose interest in web os and focusing on droid and apple. The pre was released early to save palm by beating the iphone 3gs to the market by 2 weeks, which 4 months later it is now becoming evident that palm released the phone far earlier than most had expected. This hurt the consumers because if you take time to play with an iphone or a hero you would see how much the pre is lacking right now.
    don't hold your breath waiting on flash, early next year means anywhere from jan. 1 till june 15. Even more importantly this is when adobe said it will be available for web os whether or not web os will be ready for it is a different subject. In my opinion I would lean towards may or june which is much longer than 3 months, this is generally how things work early 2010 sounds better than may 2010 just like gas for 2.49 and 9/10ths a gallon sounds better than 2.50 a gallon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I wouldn't trust your opinion about webos if you paid me to, tomh1102. You seem really negative on the pre anyways. Very lopsided. Besides, you admit that the phone does not have the tools you needed anyways, so trusting a guy who bought the wrong cellphone from the start about cellphones seems a bit like a mistake itself.....

I'll be here, looking forward to webos 1.7!
    now let me say this again my first two posts
    1) answered the OPs question
    2) somebody mentioned flash and I stated my opinion

Losers first post
    1) direct attack geared towards an individual using their name

as far as trolling goes yes it is against the rules to refer to someone as a troll, It is also against the rules to troll the forums looking to stir up trouble.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except this isn't Palm's forum.
    If you'd like some advice on how to "sort" contacts "correctly", ask. There are ways to achieve what you want (hint, list what you want, not how you want to get there - I can type "family" into my Pre, and it shows me all of my family members.)
    what's is this you speak of? how do i do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except this isn't Palm's forum.
    If you'd like some advice on how to "sort" contacts "correctly", ask. There are ways to achieve what you want (hint, list what you want, not how you want to get there - I can type "family" into my Pre, and it shows me all of my family members.)
    Thank you for the advice on the work around,but it's just that,a poor work around. The contacts issue was one of the biggest complaints at the official palm forum when it launched. You have to know, that it is pretty unreasonable to have to sort your contacts that way. And it's even more unreasonable to have everyone from your email and im accounts crammed down your address book's throat. But I do appreciate your tip on it.
  6.    #66  
    I'm speaking mostly for myself here, (my OP)... but also for people who say they are considering a new phone and getting attacked for it. Pointing out shortcomings in a phone that you own is not whining. What do you think happens at company board meetings? They sit around a table and discuss what they could be doing better... whats working and whats not... alternate methods of practice, or production... and most importantly, what is the competition doing. I didn't know this website forum was only for people who are happy with their phone. And I'm not saying I'm not happy with it, I'm just saying that people who are putting their own phones under a microscope don't deserve to have other people telling them that if they're not happy with their phones, they should take a hike. Advances in the world didn't come along because people sat around and accepted what they had as what it was, rather they looked at what was lacking, and how they could make it better. That applies to smartphones too. Where else but a hugely populated, informative, and helpful website like precentral.net should you discuss issues, good and bad, about an investment you have made?

(I hope people don't see this as a negative post intended to stir things up... as you can see, my last thread was an attempt to help people having patch issues before updating to 1.3.1. I just like to hear the good, the bad, and the alternative to ensure I have made the right decision. Everyone should do this in life, it helps to broaden your horizons)
    I will be using my pre still!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    In three months time, I will still be using my pre - I find it a joy to use EVEN with 1.1.3 firmware (please can the UK have 1.3.1 Palm!!!) In a year from now, I will stick with WebOS unless WM7 has something real special about it or Android has matured and become slicker and easier to use (Like Web OS). The other factor will be industrial design - I had not intended to buy a Pre - I was enquiring about an HTC HD2 - just picking the Pre up out of idle curiosity in the O2 shop sold it to me - whatever comes next will need to beat the Pre for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    This is true... however, the Pre has some major shortcomings when compared to the current marketplace. The dilema (to me) for many is that Palm has historically been at the top of the line as a PIM. The Pre lacks significantly in this department (PIM).
    Palm's downgrade of there PIM applications is THE REASON why a day before the release of the Pre I decided not to get it. After reading about all the hardware problems, I'm glad I did not get the Pre.

Now, I got the Hero and I'm happy with it. I don't have any major problems with the phone and it does everything I need. One of my last two must have apps just got released to the Android Market, OliveTree BibleReader. The other must have app, Evernote, has a real nice web app optimized for Android. This will do until they release there native application for Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    I'm speaking mostly for myself here, (my OP)... but also for people who say they are considering a new phone and getting attacked for it. Pointing out shortcomings in a phone that you own is not whining. ... And I'm not saying I'm not happy with it, I'm just saying that people who are putting their own phones under a microscope don't deserve to have other people telling them that if they're not happy with their phones, they should take a hike. Advances in the world didn't come along because people sat around and accepted what they had as what it was, rather they looked at what was lacking, and how they could make it better. That applies to smartphones too. Where else but a hugely populated, informative, and helpful website like precentral.net should you discuss issues, good and bad, about an investment you have made?

(I hope people don't see this as a negative post intended to stir things up... as you can see, my last thread was an attempt to help people having patch issues before updating to 1.3.1. I just like to hear the good, the bad, and the alternative to ensure I have made the right decision. Everyone should do this in life, it helps to broaden your horizons)

I don't at all think that you're trying to stir things up, but I'd like to point out that while you are dead on, 100% correct, the majority of us who end up saying things like "You don't like it, take a hike" are saying it to people who aren't constructively pointing out shortcomings in the device, but rather persistently whinging and *****ing uselessly about how horrid it is, how much it sucks, and how much they hate the phone. I think what gets most of us is that for 80 - 90% of the problems that are brought up, there are fixes for. It's not that people CANNOT do anything to remedy the problem they have with their device, but that they utterly and completely REFUSE to even ATTEMPT the fix. For me, that's a bit like not voting on an issue that personally affects you, like a smoking ban or the right to wear orange on Thursdays, and then griping about how unfair it is when the measure passes against you.

You are entirely correct, again. The only way things change is if people stand up and say, "Hey, this isn't good enough. This is not acceptable, we expect more." However, there is a significant and clear difference betwixt constructive criticism and whinging, and I think most of us are tired of hearing the whinging at this point. I welcome people who have a problem: I may be having the same one, I may have the same shortcoming with my Pre. Even better, posting that here may find me the solution to it. I fail however, to see how personal attacks, whinge-fests, temper-tantrums, and one-ups-manship is going to help, fix, or solve anything whatsoever.

No, this device is not all roses and cherries. FAR from it. It is, none-the-less, the device we've all chosen to use and stick with past the 30 day blanket "It-looked-at-me-funny" return period. The vast majority of the changes to this device have been made at the user-community's behest and prodding. Change is good. WE affect those changes. But they do not happen overnight.

Kudos to all who are willing to step up and say, "Hey, I'm not liking x. Q isn't working. What can be done about this?" Bring it on. That makes the device and user experience better for us all. That aside, I really don't care if you (the collective whole) have a personal issue with so-and-so user. Take it off boards. Don't be a troll, and don't feed them. Be the freaking adult, and walk the hell away from it. If the playground bullies don't get attention, they will slowly stop the bullying.

Apologies, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant... Just voicing my opinion that I think is more common than just in my own head.

This thread is a really great concept, BTW, Ant. It gave a really constructive way to air some of the frustrations and concerns on the device. Thanks to all who took it that way and did so.
    Last edited by rykatemom; 11/18/2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: punctuation and syntax errors

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    This thread is a really great concept, BTW, Ant. It gave a really constructive way to air some of the frustrations and concerns on the device. Thanks to all who took it that way and did so.
    Thank you Kelly. And just for the record... and to answer my own question, I will still have my Pre in Feb. You're right, most of the patches/fixes have supplemented most of what I'm looking for, less a few glaring absentees such as video record, which I really hope is addressed soon, even if its in a new hardware form. As a consumer, I just wanted to hear what else is out there in terms of competition without having to go store by store, or even other websites, because I trust the opinions of members on here more. I was heavily interested in the HTC Touch Pro 2 before the Pre came out and I've still never had the chance to hold one or even see it in person. I figured some of our savvy, weathered phone experts in here could shed some light on if that phone lived up to the hype or not. And what other phones are killing it right now. Just to see where I stand in the competition as a Pre owner. I love my Pre, and have personalized it as much as possible to make it my own. I think something that people don't talk about is the fact that we have an entire screen to put whatever picture we want on and not have it obstructed by widgets, clocks and icons... like most every other phone I've ever used, seen. If Palm stays on track with their OTA updates, I think we'll have some nice new features in 3 months time.
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    You're right, most of the patches/fixes have supplemented most of what I'm looking for, less a few glaring absentees such as video record, which I really hope is addressed soon, even if its in a new hardware form.
    In the Palmcast chat last night, Rod Whitby, developer of Preware, mentioned that Video Recording would have a patch (I'm near positive he said patch, but it may have been app) in Preware in the near future. He and the rest of the WebOS Internals folks are apparently working out the final kinks and bugs before bringing it live. Cross your fingers, I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit myself!

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    In the Palmcast chat last night, Rod Whitby, developer of Preware, mentioned that Video Recording would have a patch (I'm near positive he said patch, but it may have been app) in Preware in the near future. He and the rest of the WebOS Internals folks are apparently working out the final kinks and bugs before bringing it live. Cross your fingers, I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit myself!
    If they offer video recording before Palm. What does that say about Palm and its ability to deliver for webOS?

I'm not asking this as a troll/flame... It's a honest question. So much of what makes the Pre serviceable is coming from the community rather than Palm.
    If they offer video recording before Palm. What does that say about Palm and its ability to deliver for webOS?

I'm not asking this as a troll/flame... It's a honest question. So much of what makes the Pre serviceable is coming from the community rather than Palm.
    I sure hope the guys are getting some serious kick backs from palm for all of their hard work. That would be outrageous for palm to ride on the backs of the webos crew for this long and not give them anything in appreciation for making their phone competitive in the market while they focus on making money!

You've got a valid point. Not being a Palm employee, I can't really say where they allocate their funds and time, but I think it's as much a case of lack of resources as laziness. We're about the most active and vocal Pre community, and I am sure Palm keeps at least a passing eye on the activity here, both in the forums and in development, so I'm also fairly comfortable positing that they know that the "power-users" of the device, (both Pre and Pixi), the ones most likely to make the biggest fuss, have (for the most part) happily started HomeBrewing and Patching, so I think they are somewhat resting on their laurels there.

On the other hand, (I think I put this in another post too, somewhere, LOL) Palm is a TINY company as far as mobile device makers go. Last I knew, even with the new hires, they're still sitting at around 1000 employees. With all the devices Palm still supports, that's a pretty heavy workload, especially with the financial straits Palm is in.

*shrugs* It's really a toss-up as to what each person wants/chooses to believe, I think. Me personally, I prefer to believe the latter. I cannot discount the former as a likely scenario, but that only stresses me out and ****es me off, and with a special needs child, an overscheduled neuro-typical child, a HEAVY classload in pursuit of my degree (which includes Honours classes), a husband and a home.... I have enough stress. Thus far, this device, my Pre, has made a NOTICEABLE impact in easing some of that stress and making my information easier to work with, use, and access. For me, with that personal experience, along with the exemplary customer care I've gotten from both Palm and Sprint (prolly because I'm a ***** and don't take the bull**** they try to feed people; I think intelligent customers scare most companies, and that is most of the people here ) , I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I also realise, just from reading these forums, that my experience is not the average user one, so I count myself lucky, and try to help where I can.

Now, with my verbose reply done, LOL, I will return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

~Kelly

You've got a valid point. Not being a Palm employee, I can't really say where they allocate their funds and time, but I think it's as much a case of lack of resources as laziness.
    I'm not sure it matters. I certainly do not think Palm is a lazy company. They can not afford to be. I'm sure it is a resource issue or development plan issue (not on their current product/dev path). Still either way (or for any reason) it has to be very concerning that people are hacking/developing from the outside more effectively and rapidly than Palm themselves (they did design the OS/Device/UI). Certainly this happens for other devices (phone market or not) but when it does it is usually a very good indicator about the resources and ability for the company to support their device. And it usually is not this early in the product cycle with features that have been announced for months.

For more than a few weeks I have just resigned myself to having a nice phone/hockey puck with a few nice features. Purchasing a Hero for my son brought me out of that resignation.

My daughter wants a Pre for Xmas (she thinks it's cute~) so perhaps I will wait a month or so and if the Pre still hasn't made progress I will pass it on to her and purchase myself a new phone.

I want the Pre to be "the" phone for me... unfortunately at this point it is not (again barely serviceable)... I've basically been banking on the Pre for 9 months now... In today's market I will not wait much longer and it appears many others feel the same way. Sprint has many competitive offerings now (they really did not before). There is not much reason to simply "cling onto hope".

BTW that Hero has tethering out of the box... another critical feature. Pre has is thanks to homebrew but it was broken by 1.3.1. It's partially working again at this point, I beleive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    ^^ Hey your right thank goodness for homebrew but take away homebrew and what do you have. Thats my argument, had it not been for preware I would have chunked this phone long time ago. No where did they have a disclaimer about the lack of video recording, forward text, led notification, etc, and we can all agree basic functionality on a phone. if people at webos internalz and homebrewers can release such fairly quickly whats palms issue?
    I agree. The best thing about the pre/webOS is the homebrew community (SO THANKS, GUYS!). There are entirely reasonable features (turning off dial pad sounds? LED alerts?) that aren't available without sort-of-rooting your phone.

If they do not fix the 1.3.1 security certificate problem some users are having with IMAP and POP email servers then I will be using a Hero or a Moment in a lot less than 3 months. I have 10 or so days left to return the pre. I love the form factor, the hardware, and how the OS is set up but as of 1.3.1 it can't talk to my email which is 25% of the purpose of this device.
    Last edited by eightdrunkengods; 11/18/2009 at 09:52 PM.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by eightdrunkengods View Post
    I have 10 or so days left to return the pre. I love the form factor, the hardware, and how the OS is set up but as of 1.3.1 it can't talk to my email which is 25% of the purpose of this device.
    I was having trouble getting my email after 1.3.1 also. I took the battery out and let it sit for 10 minutes last night. Works perfectly now. If you haven't tried this yet, I'd give it a whirl... see if that helps.
    Nokia N900 in hand with a $79.00 + 13% off unlimited T-Mobile plan.

Im not going to rant on the Pre. The issues with webOS and the Pre are well documented. Its only up to the user to recognize or ignore them.

Audi 5000 Palm!

Ya know, with "default" app settings its looking like palm isn't gonna care which app people use. why take the teams focus off to design these things when others can do it for you. kinda like with every treo I've had. I like the fact that I'm not going to be limited to what palm can manage.....maybe in three months I can play flash games on an opera browser!
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 11/19/2009 at 01:08 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast