Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    ^^ Hey your right thank goodness for homebrew but take away homebrew and what do you have. Thats my argument, had it not been for preware I would have chunked this phone long time ago. No where did they have a disclaimer about the lack of video recording, forward text, led notification, etc, and we can all agree basic functionality on a phone. if people at webos internalz and homebrewers can release such fairly quickly whats palms issue?
    I was so happy with the new update because I can now forward texts and set a ringtone for my text. See they do listen and are updating.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I'm going to say it again: the 'if you don't like the pre, get out' type of talk only qualifies if the phone--right now--does not fit someone's needs OR if they find out (somehow) that it will not in the future. If someone makes a thread saying 'man this calendar sucks I can't do crap why did I buy this phone I still have 30 days to return it should I say' then by all means, tell them to go.

But that does not work in threads like this at all.

This whole WebOS thing is uncharted territory and the question is about the rate of developmental accomplishment vs cost of the wait-it's not about 'this phone sucks oh man I made a wrong decision ohhhh man' and people treating it as such are really missing the point.

If the GPU gets working and well integrated, dev's get access to linux, hardware gets better overall, flash comes out and actually works well--if palm demonstrates that they are actually closing in on these goals that we ALL share, realists and fanatics and newbies alike, then it means that investing in the phone by buying costly accessories and a bevy applications is not throwing money down the toilet.

It is a valid discussion worth having, and those who somehow think they are doing a service to themselves or others by continually shooting down threads discussing the possible future of Palm and WebOS are completely in the wrong.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    These continued arguments are ridulious. Some have their opinions of why they don't care for the Pre and the direction or lack there of it is going. Some have their opinions why they like the Pre and the way it is going. Neither is right or wrong. On one hand you have people defending it to the end because they believe in Palm and the Pre and almost take it personally when someone has negative opinions torwards it. Conversly you have the people who are upset with the nature of the Pre currently telling people they should not like it for what it is. It is only a phone...nothing more. Is it really worth these arguments over a cell phone? Now with that, I have both the Pre and the Hero. I like aspects of both of them. I do like the Pre and webos but need more in features. I am still confident that Palm will make the Pre the phone we are all looking for. I also like Android....does that make me wrong? Maybe with Palm seeing all the unhappy people and what they want that will motivate Palm in to improving webos. I think people expressing their concerns will do nothing more than help improve our Pre's. Maybe everyone can try to work together as we all want the same thing, for Palm to continue improving the phone we all like, but wish to be improved.

end of rant.......
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I was so happy with the new update because I can now forward texts and set a ringtone for my text. See they do listen and are updating.
    Ironically these have been the 2 most complained about issues over the last 3 months. Now I would imagine that if everybody was not "whining" or "complaining" that these issues may not have been on top aft palms agenda.

Point is palm does not know what we want if they do not hear it from us, if you disagree so be it do not partake but do not tell me or anybody else what or how to live their life just because you do not agree!

"If you don't like the phone return it"
    that is a fair opinion

"if you don't like these types of threads, than do not read them"
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I have posted many positive posts but clearly unlike yourself I am more concerned with the negative issues that need to be brought to light so palm can see what the consumers feel is important. (no my posts alone will not change this but clearly palm will address the issues they see the most complaints on first)
    If you say so, but I was only quoting you, that's not quite what you said...

Quite simply this is america and more importantly there are no rules on this forum that you can only post about how great the pre is!
    Are you sure this is "America"? Some folks on here are in Canada (North America granted, but most folks mean the US when they say "America"...); but possibly the server is elsewhere. Do you know?

so simply if somebodys posts bother you hit the ignore poster button and you will never see another post from this person. One thing that is not permitted on this site is trolling the forums looking to stir up trouble
    I don't want to ignore the poster, nor do I want to "stir up trouble", and finally, I'm not particularly "bothered" by your posts. However, the possible result of someone reading misleading information (and yes, even misleading opinions) does bother me. I can't post my contrary opinion if I have you on ignore, so that would be counter-productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    These continued arguments are ridulious. Some have their opinions of why they don't care for the Pre and the direction or lack there of it is going. Some have their opinions why they like the Pre and the way it is going. Neither is right or wrong. On one hand you have people defending it to the end because they believe in Palm and the Pre and almost take it personally when someone has negative opinions torwards it. Conversly you have the people who are upset with the nature of the Pre currently telling people they should not like it for what it is. It is only a phone...nothing more. Is it really worth these arguments over a cell phone? Now with that, I have both the Pre and the Hero. I like aspects of both of them. I do like the Pre and webos but need more in features. I am still confident that Palm will make the Pre the phone we are all looking for. I also like Android....does that make me wrong? Maybe with Palm seeing all the unhappy people and what they want that will motivate Palm in to improving webos. I think people expressing their concerns will do nothing more than help improve our Pre's. Maybe everyone can try to work together as we all want the same thing, for Palm to continue improving the phone we all like, but wish to be improved.

end of rant.......
    +1,000
    well said!!!!!!

to each his own!!!!!

but sadly it is the pre fanatics who blow these threads out of proportion, you do not see people going to I love my pre threads and quoting someones post and saying "your wrong all you do is troll this site ranting and raving about the pre" "go get another pre if you like it so much" "blah blah blah blah"

People need to stick to their own types of threads!!!! if you cross threads to quote somebody and tell them how their opinion is wrong that is trolling it goes both ways people.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    And honestly, when it comes to extra functions coming to a phone, like flash, tom is 100% correct in assuming it is going to come later rather than sooner. That doesn't make Adobe or Palm the 'bad guys' and it's not negative thinking: it's just the realistic.

It doesn't matter what type of phone you've owned, it's the same case with any software. Companies give themselves a lot of wiggle room because things take time, which is completely understandable--as such, it is best if the consumer assumes that the software will be released toward the end of it's expected due-date-window.

It's not 'negative' thinking, it's just realistic, and it saves everyone a lot of headache in the end.

If we all got in the mindset that flash would be on our phones by june, then we wouldnt have to worry about 'when do you think flash is going to appear on the phone' threads as june approaches would we?

When it comes to software you plan for the worst and hope for the best. 'Hope' is something anyone can do at any time, but you need actual information to plan, and the planning is what saves you some major headaches down the line.
    (sigh) BAER
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    +1,000
    well said!!!!!!

to each his own!!!!!

but sadly it is the pre fanatics who blow these threads out of proportion, you do not see people going to I love my pre threads and quoting someones post and saying "your wrong all you do is troll this site ranting and raving about the pre" "go get another pre if you like it so much" "blah blah blah blah"

People need to stick to their own types of threads!!!! if you cross threads to quote somebody and tell them how their opinion is wrong that is trolling it goes both ways people.
    Agreed!!!
    I hope the Pre will get sorted, maybe all this carrier chasing and Pixi BS is now done and Palm can actually finish this device.

Even if not, I'd still be tempted to stay just to witness hparsons switching to something else.
    ill have my pre for at least a year. then ill get into an android phone or maybe the palm pre 2nd edition?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I hope the Pre will get sorted, maybe all this carrier chasing and Pixi BS is now done and Palm can actually finish this device.

Even if not, I'd still be tempted to stay just to witness hparsons switching to something else.
    LMAO

I believe him when he says he'll go quietly :-)
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    The pre was a good phone at the beginning, until all the hardware issues and lack of features. I can say that I stood by pre waiting for it too Excel as a solid phone, pre just didn't feel the same way about as I did. A lot of people won't admit that without feeling like they got screwed out of a phone that's not so smart after all...!
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    These ultimatums are nothing more than pointless whinefests. If you're that disgruntled with the phone now, get rid of it now. Don't wait three months.. don't pony up some bogus list of demands that Palm or app developers have to meet to satisfy you. Pull out your credit card, go to carrier XYZ and buy whatever shiny new god device you're threatening to switch to and hope you don't wind up in some other forum in three months *****ing about everything that's wrong with your new toy.

Do some Googling. None of these other devices you people are touting here are bug/glitch/annoyance free. Droid has a couple nice ones.. iPhone users have their complaints too. No device is perfect. No carrier is perfect. Once the honeymoon period is over, you're bound to notice things you don't like about ANY phone.
    This is true... however, the Pre has some major shortcomings when compared to the current marketplace. The dilema (to me) for many is that Palm has historically been at the top of the line as a PIM. The Pre lacks significantly in this department (PIM).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    And honestly, when it comes to extra functions coming to a phone, like flash, tom is 100% correct in assuming it is going to come later rather than sooner. That doesn't make Adobe or Palm the 'bad guys' and it's not negative thinking: it's just the realistic.
    Sorry, but based on what?? It's not Palm that's promising it "first half of 2010", it's Adobe. What's their track record? I honestly don't know (which is exactly why I'm not going to make a prediction).

It doesn't matter what type of phone you've owned, it's the same case with any software. Companies give themselves a lot of wiggle room because things take time, which is completely understandable--as such, it is best if the consumer assumes that the software will be released toward the end of it's expected due-date-window.

It's not 'negative' thinking, it's just realistic, and it saves everyone a lot of headache in the end.
    But they base that on multiple factors; among them, how soon can it be if things go right, and how long if they go wrong. Adobe (not Palm, Adobe) has already adjusted once (originally, it was going to be 2009, but then Adobe doesn't make many announcements like this overall).

It's not the "prediction", it's the blind negativism based on nothing except dislike for the platform. That is evident in his postings.

When it comes to software you plan for the worst and hope for the best. 'Hope' is something anyone can do at any time, but you need actual information to plan, and the planning is what saves you some major headaches down the line.
    Actual information... now there's a concept.
    Last edited by hparsons; 11/17/2009 at 07:29 PM.

I don't quite understand that... I've had almost as many non Palm devices as I've had Palm (since I got my first). They were all Palm OS based, but I had no company loyalty, I just liked the devices. I was prepared to jump to BB (most likely) when the Pre was announced.

OK, I was wrong, I went back and counted. 11 Palm devices (10 if you don't count the two 755Ps), 2 Handera, and one Sony. But I almost bought that ugly Erickson thing...

1998 Palm III
    2001 Palm IIIx
    2001 TRG Pro
    2002 Handera 330
    2003 Sony Clie NX
    2003 Treo 270
    2003 Treo 300
    2003 Treo 600
    2003 Treo 650
    2006 Treo 700p
    2007 Treo 755p
    2007 Centro
    2008 Treo 755p
    2009 Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, but based on what?? It's not Palm that's promising it "first half of 2010", it's Adobe. What's their track record? I honestly don't know (which is exactly why I'm not going to make a prediction).

But they base that on multiple factors; among them, how soon can it be if things go right, and how long if they go wrong. Adobe (not Palm, Adobe) has already adjusted once (originally, it was going to be 2009, but then Adobe doesn't make many announcements like this overall).

It's not the "prediction", it's the blind negativism based on nothing except dislike for the platform. That is evident in his postings.

Actual information... now there's a concept.
    Umm... you are correct but I think proving his point?
    It seems you are focusing on some type of implied "blame" directed at Palm for the delays/timeline rather than the entire statement of opinion?

Adobe has to finish it and release it first. Then it will take some time for Palm to test it and implement it?

I have been in IT for 14+ years and I think his outlook is pretty realistic. Someone stated in another thread that they expected to have video recording, mic in the sdk and flash within 10 weeks.

I would be amazed. I mean truly amazed if we see those in the next 10 weeks (maybe even 20 weeks).
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Pre is the best phone I've ever had. I use it for more things than I've ever used a phone for before. It keeps getting even better. At this point, I don't see a reason to complain.

Yeah some of my friend's phones can do things that my Pre can't. But my Pre does a whole lot more than those phone. IMO the tradeoff is in my favor.
    +1

I'll use my Pre as long as I can.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast