Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    Bought my pre off contract so I am up for an update in exactly 3 months and if palm does not make some significant advances I will most definately jump ship. I love the pre for its potential but it is not being utilized right now, right now I have a gpu chip in my pre that I paid for that has been doing nothing for 4 months now.

Smartphones have so much more potential than a web browser and a calendar which are generally offered in the app store which I am disappointed to say we still do not have yet, not to mention developers are starting to lose interest in web os and focusing on droid and apple. The pre was released early to save palm by beating the iphone 3gs to the market by 2 weeks, which 4 months later it is now becoming evident that palm released the phone far earlier than most had expected. This hurt the consumers because if you take time to play with an iphone or a hero you would see how much the pre is lacking right now.
    don't hold your breath waiting on flash, early next year means anywhere from jan. 1 till june 15. Even more importantly this is when adobe said it will be available for web os whether or not web os will be ready for it is a different subject. In my opinion I would lean towards may or june which is much longer than 3 months, this is generally how things work early 2010 sounds better than may 2010 just like gas for 2.49 and 9/10ths a gallon sounds better than 2.50 a gallon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I wouldn't trust your opinion about webos if you paid me to, tomh1102. You seem really negative on the pre anyways. Very lopsided. Besides, you admit that the phone does not have the tools you needed anyways, so trusting a guy who bought the wrong cellphone from the start about cellphones seems a bit like a mistake itself.....

I'll be here, looking forward to webos 1.7!

my first 2 posts on the thread and your first post.

seriously mrloser! I answered the ops question somebody commented on flash I simply stated MY OPINION and you followed by attacking my opinion for no reason I am not sure what else to call that.

All of my posts start out with me simply pointing out the negatives that I se in the pre, never stating that I hate the pre. Just like anybody else once i am attacked than yes I will fire back!
    Another thing, I now have access to yahoo,im,6 months later. But i cant use it,because i've had yahoo messenger since it came out.And I dont want tons of more people forced into my contacts. So that nice bone they threw us, is useless to me. And really,after typing that, I am going to start looking at other options.
    Some unfortunate Pixi owners might still be trying to download 1.3.1 in 3 months http://www.precentral.net/cant-updat...might-be-blame
    I'll still have my Pre. No question about it.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I'll be programming robots to paint the Chevy Volt!
    These ultimatums are nothing more than pointless whinefests. If you're that disgruntled with the phone now, get rid of it now. Don't wait three months.. don't pony up some bogus list of demands that Palm or app developers have to meet to satisfy you. Pull out your credit card, go to carrier XYZ and buy whatever shiny new god device you're threatening to switch to and hope you don't wind up in some other forum in three months *****ing about everything that's wrong with your new toy.

Do some Googling. None of these other devices you people are touting here are bug/glitch/annoyance free. Droid has a couple nice ones.. iPhone users have their complaints too. No device is perfect. No carrier is perfect. Once the honeymoon period is over, you're bound to notice things you don't like about ANY phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    These ultimatums are nothing more than pointless whinefests. If you're that disgruntled with the phone now, get rid of it now. Don't wait three months.. don't pony up some bogus list of demands that Palm or app developers have to meet to satisfy you. Pull out your credit card, go to carrier XYZ and buy whatever shiny new god device you're threatening to switch to and hope you don't wind up in some other forum in three months *****ing about everything that's wrong with your new toy..

Bravo!!!!! Very well said! And well oh so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll still have my Palm. I'm curiously watching the progression of Android, but like cowgirlupkelly I don't like the Droid (UGLY). Blackberries are not my thing, but the new ones might be better. Not an iPhone fan either (although they are good). I am not a long standing Palm fan. This is the first device I've bought... However, compared to what was out there for Bell in Canada? It rocks. Looks good, does more, and has a real keyboard (a must for me). So in 3 months, I'll still be on the Pre. Period. A year from now? Who knows... Pre 2? Android based phone? Maybe.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quite honestly palm has really disappointed with the release of this device. People can come hollaring back with well then return it argument. But my thing is this, yes this is a 1.0 phone but the developers had plenty of time and examples to get certain things worked out. If they even browsed one web forum, they would have seen what we all complained and wanted, almost the same application and functionality in a phone. I can't believe what 5months later we are now just getting the ability to forward text? Seriously *** and still no LED notification? If not for Preware I swear I woulda chunked this phone and spit on it.
    The fan boys on this site who call everybody trolls are in reality the trolls on the site, everybody else is just discussing the issues that the phone has and get attacked by a bunch of trolls for having an opinion.
    I think it's the continued use of "probably" that tends to put folks off. You have no real history with Palm, with the device, with development for it, and freely admit you're not a tech person. I don't think you much in the way of qualifications to make "probable" predictions.

However, stating your opinion - certainly have a right to do so. Just have others have a right to point out your "creds".
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Some unfortunate Pixi owners might still be trying to download 1.3.1 in 3 months http://www.precentral.net/cant-updat...might-be-blame
    it looks like palms development team has screwed up again this is what concerns me I know 1st gen devices are gonna have a few glitches but it just seems like a lot to me (once again this is just my opinion...lol...put your guns away pre fanatics) its almost as if palm is rushing these phones to the market quantity over quality. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    I agree with tom. And another thing,if we just sit wayside and not bring up it's shortcomings,then theres no pressure on them to change anything. Here we are 6 months later, with a "smart phone" that has noway to sort my contacts correctly. I am stuck with work,family,friends,and everyone i ever email from ebay to craigslist jumbled up in my contacts. I am already looking at google phones,and sad as it is,i miss my crappy mogul all the time. I wasn't heavily disappointed at launch, I complained about basic things it was lacking, but 6 months later, I am very disappointed.
    I said in another post about palm losing it's customer base,and was countered with sales are good. What I meant was, its new and current base, not returning. I've had several palms, this may be my last. I dont want to buy the pre2, to have basic tools and functions this pre was capable of. By doing that, I will feel "scamed''.
    Except this isn't Palm's forum.
    If you'd like some advice on how to "sort" contacts "correctly", ask. There are ways to achieve what you want (hint, list what you want, not how you want to get there - I can type "family" into my Pre, and it shows me all of my family members.)
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think it's the continued use of "probably" that tends to put folks off. You have no real history with Palm, with the device, with development for it, and freely admit you're not a tech person. I don't think you much in the way of qualifications to make "probable" predictions.

However, stating your opinion - certainly have a right to do so. Just have others have a right to point out your "creds".
    So one must have some sort of credibilty to voice theirr opinions or frustrations with a converged device? Seriously thats a bunch of bull. My wife that has no knowledge of such at least knows that basic smart phones should have basic functions like forward text, led notification, video recording, voice memo etc.."

Why it's taking palm this long to basically mimick my Treo 700P is beyond me

Hey I agree with you here I do not have many credentials therefore I am not telling people "DO NOT BUY A PRE" but it is my understanding that a large majority of palm consumers are people like me who have no credentials or tech background, therefore some of these people may be interested in hearing my opinion as well as yours.
    All of my posts start out with me simply pointing out the negatives that I se in the pre, never stating that I hate the pre. Just like anybody else once i am attacked than yes I will fire back!
    'Zactly!!!!
    Do you ever posts about the positives?
    Do you care about the positives, or is it simply your goal to present the device in the most negative light possible?
    Do you ever post to help someone with a specific problem (other than suggesting they wait on a HeroiAndroidPhone16gsNextDeviceThatWillFullFillAllYourDreams...)
    Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    So one must have some sort of credibilty to voice theirr opinions or frustrations with a converged device?
    Absolutely not! However, he's not just saying "I don't like it", he's making predictions on what Adobe and Palm are "probably" going to do. Yes, to do that, you need some credibility.

"Probably" based on what? His pathological hatred for the device? Sorry, if that's the reason (and it appears to be), then someone is doing readers a favor by pointing it out.
    To answer the OP, in three months, I'll probably still be using my Pre. If/when I see the level of updates that I've seen on other Palm devices in the past, I will probably start looking at other devices (for other vendors) by that time. If the Pre continues along the path I've seen so far, I will probably be looking at keeping the Pre, or what their next device is capable of.
    I have to say, with no qualms or reservations, that I will still be loving my Pre.

No, it's not perfect. It has shortcomings and failings. *shrugs* I wasn't expecting a god device, and for the things that it did fall short on for me, the Homebrew community has stepped up in a most astounding and amazing manner. The work they put in has made this device even better than I ever imagined.

It's this simple, really. I think a lot of people read a fraction of the information that came out before the Pre launched, and formed some serious misconceptions of what this device could do. So, launch day, or sometime following, they went out, and bought a device that could never live up to the expectations they had formed - hell, NO device could live up to some of the expectations I've seen. So, understandably, these people were disappointed, and they're voicing that. Nothing wrong with that. However, I have to agree with the people who, in many forums, have said "If you dislike the Pre so much, go back to or go get XYZ device you keep drooling for and comparing the Pre to, and STFU." If the only thing a user has to say about their Pre is how much they hate it, over and over again, thread after thread after thread, then why do you still have a Pre? Sprint has a 30-day guarantee on new phones. Don't like it? Take it back. They credit your account. For those who bought off-contract, go back to your old phone, and again, you still have, even off contract, a 30-day return policy. Take the money you got back for your Pre and buy whatever phone gets your rocks off. If you waited past the 30 days, well, suck it up buttercup. You chose to stay with it, chose to do what you can to make it as pleasant an experience as you can.

I have, time and again, told people to go Homebrew. It isn't hard to do. You don't have to root your Pre. Can you install a program on your computer? Then you can install WOSQI, Preware, or Filecoaster. If you're looking for nothing more than apps, go Filecoaster. If you want apps, patches, themes, optware, all that other fun stuff, go Preware. We have one of the strongest user communities here, and how can you NOT be happy with DIRECT ACCESS TO THE DEVS OF YOUR TWEAKS for problems? 99% of the people developing for this platform will go to ridiculous lengths to help people that are having problems with their product. How many other devices do you get direct support for free from the developer? Most of the common complaints people have about functionality on the Pre have been solved in Homebrew. Seriously folks. People happily will do all kinds of insanity to their iPhones to get them working how they want. Why not do it to your Pre? Palm knows about Homebrew and the WebOS Internals folks. It doesn't void your warranty, and I can personally attest to the fact that if it does, for some reason, brick or kill your phone, Sprint will replace it under your 1-year-warranty with Palm. *shrugs* What do you have to lose?

Pre users right now, all of us, are early adopters. Every last one of us. That comes with a lot of bumps in the road. If you don't know what early adopter means, go look it up on Wikipedia. This is a growing software, and hardware, platform that has potential to become one of the most amazing devices on the market. Palm is a company of only some 1000 employees, give or take. That is TINY, and look at what that tiny company has churned out. We've had numerous OTA updates. We've had a second model on the same OS come out targeted for a whole new demographic. Apple, RIM, Google- they've all got millions of employees and much more money to devote to research, development, and product improvement. Give Palm some time to catch up. They're working with far less resources than the other companies, and giving us everything they can. No, it's not perfect, and in some ways, yes, as the original innovator of the PDA/Smart Phone, they really dropped the ball on some basic functionality, but they're working on it and trying to improve it. In the meantime, again, we have Homebrew.

OK, I'm going to step down off my soapbox now. Sorry if I've hijacked the thread.

~Kelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Why it's taking palm this long to basically mimick my Treo 700P is beyond me
    Finally, I think you might be beginning to the see the point:

The don't want to mimick your Treo 700P
    They wanted something new. From the ground up.

Had they mimicked the 700P, they certainly would have gotten me as a customer, I already had a 750P that worked as well as they could...
    'Zactly!!!!
    Do you ever posts about the positives?
    Do you care about the positives, or is it simply your goal to present the device in the most negative light possible?
    Do you ever post to help someone with a specific problem (other than suggesting they wait on a HeroiAndroidPhone16gsNextDeviceThatWillFullFillAllYourDreams...)
    Just sayin'
    I have posted many positive posts but clearly unlike yourself I am more concerned with the negative issues that need to be brought to light so palm can see what the consumers feel is important. (no my posts alone will not change this but clearly palm will address the issues they see the most complaints on first)

Quite simply this is america and more importantly there are no rules on this forum that you can only post about how great the pre is!

so simply if somebodys posts bother you hit the ignore poster button and you will never see another post from this person. One thing that is not permitted on this site is trolling the forums looking to stir up trouble
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast