Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...Because I've really enjoyed the phone from the day I bought it in June.

iPhone vs. BlackBerry vs. Droid vs. Pre: Smackdown!
    Galen Gruman, InfoWorld
    Nov 14, 2009

[excerpts]

The Palm Pre claims to support Exchange, but it supports only a few ActiveSync policies and thus can access only low-security Exchange servers.

Apps for the Pre have largely stalled, though the early ones showed promise.

The Palm Pre and the two Droids have limited copy-and-paste capabilities.

The Pre, Droid, and Droid Eris have limited security capabilities (the Pre has the most and the Droid Eris the least) and no management tools.

The Palm Pre's UI is clunkier than either the iPhone's or the Droids'. It shares many of the same principles, but is less consistent in, for example, its use of scrolling and menu access. Also, the separate swipe area for some gestures is confusing, as it's hard to remember which swipes work where on the split screen.

The Palm Pre's keyboard is similar to the BlackBerry Bold's, but the glossy keys and red-on-black print make it harder to use, especially when you're hunting for a symbol.

The Palm Pre feels the cheapest of the bunch in terms of finish and materials quality, and its fuzzy screen is an issue.

iPhone vs. BlackBerry vs. Droid vs. Pre: Smackdown! - PC World
    The Palm Pre's UI is clunkier than either the iPhone's or the Droids'. It shares many of the same principles, but is less consistent in, for example, its use of scrolling and menu access. Also, the separate swipe area for some gestures is confusing, as it's hard to remember which swipes work where on the split screen.
    Has this kid even touched a Pre before? And it isn't a split screen. The touchscreen and the gesture area are one and the same!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Fuzzy screen? Puh-leeze. Why do some people insist on discrediting everything they say with easily refuted untruths?
    if you really enjoyed the Pre since it came out in June then it doesn't matter.
    Don't feed the TROLLS!!!!
    different strokes for ugly f-a-n-b-o-y-s
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    fuzzy screen? CNETs review says the Pre screen is crisper than the iPhone...
    It is crisper because same density as iPhone but in smaller package. That person just needs to get their eyes checked.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Article is very bias for iphone.

As for his comments on webos, if he doesn't remember which swipes work where, he's hardly used webos enough to accurately rate it. There are only a few gestures and all simple one swipes.
    Yeah, this guy really doesn't have any business reviewing smartphones. Yes, the Pre's build quality is spotty at best, which we all know, but pretty much every reviewer of note has praised the Pre's brilliant screen and consistent, intuitive, multi-tasking OS.

Major fail going on here, folks.

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    Another iPhone user review that starts with the pretense that the only thing acceptable is the iPhone. If it doesn't work exactly like a iPhone, it's junk. If it works like an iPhone, it's an inferior copycat. To say that the Pre's interface is below the iPhone is silly. The iPhone is a great game changing device, but it's boring page after page of icons interface looks dated when compared to Android and WebOS. Another thing, Apples been pumping out apps for the store at a prodigious rate, just so they can get their friendly reviewers to crow about the absurdly large 100k+ apps available. Doesn't matter that 98% are pure crap. As soon as I see a phone review that waxes poetic on that app store, I'm out of there! That reviewer is part of the Steve Jobs reality distortion field and offers me nothing of value.
    100% Windows Mobile free!
    In the Samsung Moment while the wife rocks out the Palm Pre.
    ^^So True. And once he said 'fuzzy screen' on the Pre that's a dead giveaway this is just a hack job.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Maybe he got a defective Pre with the screen haze/distortion/discoloration some people here have seen.
    Criticizing the Blackberry for "lack of respect for usability", when he was probably referring to aesthetics of the UI...that guy is just a bad writer.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    "The one common Web technology in which the iPhone OS is at a disadvantage is Flash Player support -- it doesn't have it. Neither do the Droids. The other devices can display Flash video. All but the BlackBerrys can display QuickTime Video, though there's a third-party app that lets the BlackBerry view QuickTime videos."

There are four lights.
    He has a few good points as far as the exchange servers, the poor build quality and the app catalog has been **** poor with not much promise and to say that 98% of apples apps are crap is true but 98% of the pre apps are crap too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    He has a few good points as far as the exchange servers, the poor build quality and the app catalog has been **** poor with not much promise and to say that 98% of apples apps are crap is true but 98% of the pre apps are crap too.

he goes on to say that the droid eris (hero) won't even connect to exchange.

I think that the biggest defect he illuminates in the article is his ability to do a review.
    There are four lights.
    Yes, he obviously has zip experience with anything but the iPhone.
    Gave him the big thumbs down.
    Lol DAMN this is nearly as bad as Gizmodo's apple hugging nutfest article's. Their is a reason why PCWorld stopped printing their magazine. No one bought their P.O.S magazine with craptastic articles like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
    Another iPhone user review that starts with the pretense that the only thing acceptable is the iPhone. If it doesn't work exactly like a iPhone, it's junk. If it works like an iPhone, it's an inferior copycat. To say that the Pre's interface is below the iPhone is silly. The iPhone is a great game changing device, but it's boring page after page of icons interface looks dated when compared to Android and WebOS. Another thing, Apples been pumping out apps for the store at a prodigious rate, just so they can get their friendly reviewers to crow about the absurdly large 100k+ apps available. Doesn't matter that 98% are pure crap. As soon as I see a phone review that waxes poetic on that app store, I'm out of there! That reviewer is part of the Steve Jobs reality distortion field and offers me nothing of value.
    Funny and true.

Didn't the Iphone just get copy and paste in June or July, about 2 years after the introduction of Iphone? Also, the reviewer complains about the physical buttons on the Pre, but the virtual keyboard I've seen on the Youtube vids look like the color of the physical buttons won't be an issue.
    Even "I" have to admit the OP doesnt seem to ever have actually used a pre. Check my post i absolutley loathe the pre. But i do own one. I have to say i dont agree with most of the OP's complaints.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast