Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Ok everyone, I have to say, I went to go see the Droid and used it for a while. First thing, I HAVE TO RANT ABOUT IS...

Form factor. This thing is just so uncomfortable in the hand. There is nothing like the feel of the Pre. The pre is small, very smooth and does not feel so rough in the hands.

I was trying to play with the droid at the store and it's just not that appealing. If I understand this right, it suppose to be for consumers not business? To me, as a consumer I can't stand the way it looks. I was trying to use one hand to move around the droid menu and wow... I am so glad I have the Pre. The Pre is extremely smooth compared to the droid. The droid "jitters" when scrolling. Which I was suprised. It does look like a big brick though, feel like it could be a lethal weapon :P

Anyway, It is so huge that I cannot use it in one hand, and that's what I love about the pre.

Ok but I have to say, the Droid Docking station, that is really awesome. Does anyone know if something like that is coming out for the Pre? I am not a touchstone fanatic, but the docking station for me would be excellent accessory. I actually get home sometimes and connect it to my surround sound system so I can hear some music through it. I hate having to have to connect the power cable then the audio cable. I would love to just have a cradle I could dock and it works. Any Word?

Thanks... My rant mode is now off
    I am a Droid owner. I was planning on waiting for a Verizon Palm Pre, but as a developer, I rather write java apps than web apps. Plus, I am a huge supporter of open source software, so I was pretty excited for Android 2.0.

Since I bought the phone, I have been trying my absolute hardest to find something wrong with it. Although there are things I would improve, there is nothing that I have found that is seriously wrong with it.

1.) I like how heavy the phone is. Seriously, why have I heard so many people say "the phone is too heavy, I am not going to get it"? Yeah it is heavy for a phone, but it is not heavy compared to things you probably lift every day. As long as it doesn't pull my pants down, this is a non-issue. The quality of the phone seems awesome. It feels so well built, in part because it is so heavy.

2.) I was really concerned about the form factor, but I have no problem carrying the phone in any of my pants pockets. I just don't like big phones, but I do not mind the size of the Droid at all.

3.) The battery life is amazing! I was doing heavy web browsing, sent several text messages and e-mails, took about a dozen photos, made a few phone calls, and used the GPS for almost 2.5 hours. At the end of the day, I still had 10% battery left. Mind you, the GPS prevents the screen from sleeping, so the 2.5 hours I had the GPS on, the screen was on 100% brightness.

To comment on a couple of things you wrote:
    The Pre is extremely smooth compared to the droid. The droid "jitters" when scrolling.
    The one thing that pretty much every one of my friends has told me is, "that thing is so fast!" (Even my friends who are diehard apple fan boys have told me the phone is really fast) What app were you using that made the scrolling "jitter"? The scrolling on the web browser can be "jittery" (if you want to call it that?) until the page fully loads. Once the page loads 100%, the scrolling is incredible.

I was trying to use one hand to move around the droid menu and wow... I am so glad I have the Pre.
    Maybe you just weren't used to the Droid. I have absolutely no problem using one hand while navigating the menus. I usually use two hands when navigating, but for instance, there have been several times where I have wanted to send a quick text message out to a friend. I usually 1.) Find the messaging app, which doesn't even require going through the menu because you have 3 "desktops", 2.) find his name in the list (this only requires the use of one hand), 3.) select his name and bring up the virtual keyboard. It is incredibly easy to use this phone with one hand (at least I think so).
    My biggest gripe was not being able to operate the Droid with one hand.

Pretty much a deal breaker for me as no patching or hacking can reduce the size of the phone. :-)

Otherwise, I didn't have any other issues that didn't seem like they couldn't be resolved by becoming accustomed to a new phone.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    My wife has a Droid and there are a few things I really like about it. Voice commands work well and voice navigation is great, something most dumb phones have these days and we don't have on our Pre's. The abundance of Apps is nice- but that's and Android vs WebOS issue, not a Droid thing.

The Droid is heavy. Is it too heavy? Its a preference thing. To me the weight makes it feel like a good solid device. The build quality seems much better than the Pre. The HUGE glass screen is nicer than the Pre.

The Keyboard is ok. Nothing to rave about, but neither is the Pre's. Both have their flaws. The on screen keyboard on the Droid is MUCH better than the hacked one we have (no offense to those incredible people who make it even possible on the pre).

I find the Droid about the same as the Pre for one handed operation. The bigger screen makes some things a reach with one hand, but that's a fair trade. The better onscreen keyboard makes up for it too.

Yes, the battery life on the Droid is much better.

All in all the Droid is a tough competitor for the Pre. Form factor is a very user preference driven thing. The industrial design of the droid is attractive in a very different way than the sleek Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    My biggest gripe was not being able to operate the Droid with one hand.
    What do you mean by operate it with one hand?

Seriously, I feel like I am going crazy, because in no way do i find it difficult to operate with one hand. Yeah, you are not going to type on the physical keyboard with one hand, but so what? You always have the virtual keyboard if you just want to do something quickly (I hate virtual keyboards but the one on the Droid is pretty good).

So can someone please explain to me what they are finding they cannot do on the Droid with one hand? When you say this, do you really mean "I cannot operate the Droid's physical keyboard with one hand?"

I just tested out doing all of the following using 1 hand, and have no problems at all: 1.) Browsing the web, 2.) Checking my e-mail, 3.) sending a text message, 4.) checking the weather, 5.) checking twitter, 6.) checking facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    What do you mean by operate it with one hand?

Seriously, I feel like I am going crazy, because in no way do i find it difficult to operate with one hand. Yeah, you are not going to type on the physical keyboard with one hand, but so what? You always have the virtual keyboard if you just want to do something quickly (I hate virtual keyboards but the one on the Droid is pretty good).

So can someone please explain to me what they are finding they cannot do on the Droid with one hand? When you say this, do you really mean "I cannot operate the Droid's physical keyboard with one hand?"

I just tested out doing all of the following using 1 hand, and have no problems at all: 1.) Browsing the web, 2.) Checking my e-mail, 3.) sending a text message, 4.) checking the weather, 5.) checking twitter, 6.) checking facebook
    Essentially, I can't hold the phone in one hand and reach any point comfortably on the touchscreen with my thumb without repositioning the phone. Reaching the corners both closest at the bottom of the screen and furthest and the top of the screen in relation to the thumb are really awkward.

Also, it's impossible to operate the physical keyboard one-handed fluidly. Like I said, this is the way I personally use my phone. It's perfectly reasonable that another's usage style is uninhibited.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Does anyone else find the asymmetric nature of the keyboard incredibly awkward? Because of the D-Pad (why in the world it needs a D-Pad in that location (or at all) bewilders me..) AND the small "chin" thing on the right side, I find my right thumb having to reach way across the device to hit they keys. I have a co-worker with a Droid and so I've spent quite a bit of time trying to type on it. (more than just 1 minute in a Verizon store, in other words) Try as I might, I just can't type on the thing.

Admittedly I have small hands, so maybe that's the problem. But any thought I had of switching has been dashed by the keyboard. It's too bad, because other than I think it's a really nice device.
    ^^Yeah they could have done a better job in the tactile area but, honestly, as much I wanted to have a phone with a physical keyboard, I find myself using the onscreen more. And it seems many other users are doing the same. I also agree with your comment regarding the dpad. Had it not been there, the keyboard would be easier to use. I think they'll probably get rid of it in the next version as many have complained.. The rest of the phone more than makes up for this shortfall though.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid