1.    #1  
    For those of you that are interested, I finally managed to finish my review
    of the Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D. Sorry it took so long, but hopefully some will
    think it was worth the wait

http://kopsisengineering.com/zaurus_...us_review.html

Questions/comments are always welcome
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    wow. I mean really, wow. If I were in IT, I would get one in a split second.

very nice review, BTW, I've already forwarded it to my techie pals.
    That really is a great view. Thanks for taking the time to write it and post the link here.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Wow! Excellent review Dkessler! Very detailed.

I haven't seen a Zaurus up close in person, but I have serious doubts this product...or any Linux device will ever really take off. If consumers want a high-powered device, they will most likely opt for a PocketPC. Microsoft has more familiarity than Linux.

Still a great device though.
    Excellent review, hopefully they'll fix that battery thing. They were right not to include the command line tool by default, but I'm sure command line nuts will be happy...

Best Zaurus review yet

The pictures were so cool I wanted to pull it off my screen...
    Yeah great review and the ability to remove the battery is great!
    Infinity is not a number.
    Thanks for the review Dave.

On the subject of the battery, that is one of the reasons I have not rushed out to buy the Visor Pro, the integrated battery. I plan on keeping my Platinum for a long time, and would concider buying a Pro and using it for a long time, but at what point will the battery start giving you problems? I like the idea of removable battery packs.
    Great review. I've been scouring the internet for information about the Zaurus and this is the best piece so far. Particularly good news about the Hancom spreadsheet and word processor. Dave, have you heard any rumors about a database program? Also, any update on when Sharp is going to start selling these? Thanks
    Another question: is the design of the Zaurus such that it can be fitted with a Stowaway keyboard? While it sounds like the on-board keyboard may be faster than Graffiti, there's no way that it could be faster than entering data with a Stowaway. My guess is that if the design permits and if there is sufficient demand, the developer of the Stowaway would make a keyboard for the Zaurus.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by BillC
    Great review. I've been scouring the internet for information about the Zaurus and this is the best piece so far. Particularly good news about the Hancom spreadsheet and word processor. Dave, have you heard any rumors about a database program?
    I don't expect Sharp to include one but a couple of third-party database solutions are rumored to be in development. Sharp is anticipating significant third-party support for the Zaurus and is partnering with Handango to provide a convenient channel for third-party app distribution. That roll-out is slated for Feb 25th so I expect quite a few third-party apps to premier then.

Also, any update on when Sharp is going to start selling these? Thanks
    Sharp has made it pretty clear that they're shooting for March ... but they've also made it pretty clear that they aren't committing to that date. Sharp's QA people have a lot of authority and they don't want to ship a product that isn't ready.
    Originally posted by dkessler
    Sharp has made it pretty clear that they're shooting for March ... but they've also made it pretty clear that they aren't committing to that date. Sharp's QA people have a lot of authority and they don't want to ship a product that isn't ready.
    3rd party support AND great QA? This si shaping up to be the next big thing!
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by BillC
    Another question: is the design of the Zaurus such that it can be fitted with a Stowaway keyboard? While it sounds like the on-board keyboard may be faster than Graffiti, there's no way that it could be faster than entering data with a Stowaway. My guess is that if the design permits and if there is sufficient demand, the developer of the Stowaway would make a keyboard for the Zaurus.
    The I/O connector supports a full 6-wire RS-232 interface in addition to the USB lines so keyboard makers should be able to come up with a design that works with it.

Of course if you're near a PC (with the Zaurus USB drivers), you can just fire up a VNC server on the Zaurus and a VNC client on the PC and type directly into the Zaurus using your PC's keyboard
    Fantastic review! Like others have said, I, too, have been searching the net for info since I first learned about this little beauty in November or so. Your review provides more info in one place than I've been able to find anywhere. I'll definitely be buying one of these devices (as soon, that is, as I get a salary that's a little bigger than my current "starving grad student" salary)

Also, for anybody who's curious, it seems that Hancom has broken the link that Dave provided for their MobileOffice suite. Here's another: http://www.hancom.com/en/products/ha...ileoffice.html
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Does anyone know or care to speculate on wireless connections or integration of cell phone capabilities like the Visor phone module did for the Visors.

I'd still like an all in one device and with the treo I lose the springboard modules I already own and its monochrome for nearly the same price. Yes I know 399 isn't the same as 550 but its in the same zone. More then a casual buy (at least for me) but not so much that if I was buying something high end that it would shift me from the better product.

ONE more question: I clicked on the link above for Hancom Office and in the picture, it appears to be add on to the Zaurus that includes an antenae. Who, what, where, when?
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by Les Spicy
    Does anyone know or care to speculate on wireless connections or integration of cell phone capabilities like the Visor phone module did for the Visors.
    I've heard rumors that someone has created Zaurus software that works in conjunction with a GSM CF card to let you use the Zaurus as a mobile phone, but I don't have any specifics. Sharp has also shown "mock-ups" of a Treo style Zaurus at some trade shows, but such products are probably not "just around the corner".
    A couple suggestions on how to improve the Zaurus:

1. Longer battery life
    2. USB 2.0 HotSync
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    A couple suggestions on how to improve the Zaurus:

1. Longer battery life
    2. USB 2.0 HotSync
    3. Drop the price down. Overpriced at $500. This goes also to the Pocket PCs and Palms in this price range.
    However, I'm not privy to a cost analysis to understand the pricing. My sweet spot is $250.

That said. I really like the Zaurus. Even though I use Windows at work and home, using Linux on a PDA is of no major concern. And programming for it would be no problem since I have used Visual C++.
    I've surfed around the Trolltech site and am impressed with their development offerings. Especially the free compiler. Any programs developed then become "open sourced". This is only fair.

Then there is the Office package being developed that interfaces with Microsoft office.

All in all, when I need to replace my Visor, this would be the one I would choose if the price comes down.

Thanks Dave for your excellent review. Will be looking for more of your insightful comments.