Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Finally. I think I'm done buying/replacing PalmPilots for a while. I'm not going to organize this nicely, forgive me. AvantGo has some display issues when scaled to fill the screen. Nothing serious enough to warrant a change to 160x160, but surprising, nonetheless. From what [very] little I know about programming, I was under the impression that it was fairly easy to port to handera resolution (easier than for Sony's - though Sony has a nicer fall-back than handera). BugMe! works, though I don't get any more drawing area with the grafitti area collapsed. car works with some display anomolies (specifically, the grafitti area looks...goofy - though I the app itself displays quite well). Card House looked like crap and had to go into 160x160. Easy Calc worked beautifully. Expence, Filez, Hearts, HotTime all worked well. PocketRogue had irritating display habits, and so is running at 160x160. PocketSynth and PrefEd work fine. OmniRemote and WordSmith support hi-res. Whatzup works fine. Going to give QuickSheet a shot, and haven't been able to expand backgammon from the .zip file (could I but find a .sit file for stuffit, I'd be splendid).

I got the E&B slipper case for it and it's incredible. Quite a few ideas were borrowed from Vaja and implemented into a case that costs 1/2 -2/3 of the price. Very soft and easily synced in the case - and all the holes line up! Battery life is incredible, though I expect that to change with the addition of an 802.11b wireless module. Thank Deity#1 for the well-thought out implementation for the li-ion batt-pack. I was able to get a new stowaway for $50, so I've been less disgruntled at the slow sync time than I would've been otherwise. That, too, will change with the addition of the 802.11b wireless CF card.

The most irritating thing: dual booting between Windows and Linux. Damn MS ubiquity to hell.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I'm very curious to know what you think of the voice recording feature.

My dream setup: hit "record" at the beginning of a 2.5 hour class. Take no notes during the class. After class, at my leisure, listen to the class and type up notes on a stowaway.

How's the weight with all that battery power?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I'm in love, and a lot safer on the road.

My dream setup: hit "record" at the beginning of a 2.5 hour class. Take no notes during the class. After class, at my leisure, listen to the class and type up notes on a stowaway.
    Sit up front with full batteries and loads of memory (everything is saved as a .wav file) and you should be fine. You only have to hold down the 'escape/record' button continuously if that's how you started recording. You can start the app itself and press the 'record' button from within.

Not too shabby. I didn't notice an increase until you mentioned it.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Not too shabby. I didn't notice an increase until you mentioned it.
    sorry.

WRT voice recording: WAV, huh. That's a lotta memory and probably a lotta battery power... looks like the springboard solutions can't hack a full 2.5 hour session either. Looks like I'm going to want a non-PDA solution here.

ah, well.
    WRT voice recording: WAV, huh.
    Yeah, but it's only 8-bit mono, so it could be worse.
    That's a lotta memory and probably a lotta battery power...
    The first can be remedied by the fact that it can record to either of the expansion cards. The second can be remedied by a nearby outlet (since the Handera can run off of AC).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    [...] From what [very] little I know about programming, I was under the impression that it was fairly easy to port to handera resolution (easier than for Sony's - though Sony has a nicer fall-back than handera). [...]
    From what I understand, it should be just a matter of having another resource file available that understands 240x240 or 240x320. Evidently AvantGo hasn't been motivated enough to do that.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    Update: bugme was incredibly slow. DiddleBug is more than adequate. Plucker doesn't display much better than AvantGo, but works better from linux. Linux compatibility has become more of a concern since Windows went down (very ignobly, I might add). I could probably coddle it back to function (actually, a scanreg would probably do the trick), but I decided if it didn't want to run, I wasn't going to make it. It's not as crippling as I was expecting. Everyday another problem is felled or feature added. Still haven't tackled DVD, TV, or mp3 ripping, but the ability will be there soon. Everything else is covered at this point. Including conduit hotsyncing (mail, datebook, etc.).

Anyway, back to the handera, Omniremote works as well as the m500, backup is worth its code in gold, WordSmith is everything it promised and more, and the device feels faster than the edge.
    -Joshua

Hehe, I do that already, though my classes aren't that long. Using a crappy tape recorder, which works well, if you use your head and organize it. Waiting for new Total Recall to come in, the one I got is defective, been wanting a digital voice recorder. Hehe, maybe someone will FINALLY add voice recording to PalmOS other than HandEra...*hint hint* Sony...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD

...*hint hint* Sony...
    And if they also add collapsible grafitti, dual standard expansion, and the ability to power an honest-to-God CF card, they might have something. When you pare it down, the only thing that distinguishes them from the rest of the pack is their implementation of hi-res. Palm has a thin unit with powerful IR, Handspring has many springboards out that offer more 'expansion' than Sony, Handera has the features mentioned above...

Oh yeah, they are cheap.
    -Joshua
    When you pare it down, the only thing that distinguishes them from the rest of the pack is their implementation of hi-res.
    Well, that and on-board mp3. Also, they're the only company (besides Handera) to integrate all their flashy features into one single PDA, instead of spreading them out.
  11.    #11  

Well, that and on-board mp3. Also, they're the only company (besides Handera) to integrate all their flashy features into one single PDA, instead of spreading them out.
    I thought about mp3, but that's only on the one high end model (unless I'm mistaken). Otherwise you need to purchase something extra - same as Palm et al.
    -Joshua
    Well, that and on-board mp3. [...]
    I'm sure I'm just being obtuse here, but am I the only person who has no desire to have an mp3 player (of any stripe nevertheless built into a PDA)?
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm sure I'm just being obtuse here, but am I the only person who has no desire to have an mp3 player (of any stripe nevertheless built into a PDA)?
    Nope, seems a bit clunky to me, and with the advent of the high cap. models (like my iPod) a memory card MP3 player just doesn't appeal to me.
    Originally posted by Toby
    nah. It has its bonuses, though, for those who require music. One Less Gadget.
    nah. It has its bonuses, though, for those who require music. One Less Gadget.
    Perhaps, but CDs are already barely within my acceptable aural limits, so I've not found MP3s up to snuff. Besides, the times that I'm listening to music, I always have a CD player handy.
    Hehe, it's just "nice" to have, one more thing to show off. And for those times when you don't have your stand-alone, it's nice to use it. Or when your too lazy to take another thing along with you. ya knoe?
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Hehe, it's just "nice" to have, one more thing to show off. And for those times when you don't have your stand-alone, it's nice to use it. Or when your too lazy to take another thing along with you. ya knoe?
    Maybe it's a rural vs. city thing. Whenever I go somewhere, I'm in my truck (or my wife's Montero), and there's a CD player built in. There's no extra thing to take along. At the office, I have two CD capable drives in my computer, and at home, I've got a plethora of CD capable drives (the changer in the living room can serve the whole house, though).
    Yea, I guess it is. I don't drive, so, hehe. I listen at school, when I'm bored, between periods, or after school waiting for my mom. Also throughout the day when I'm sitting around. I got activities all over, so lot of travel time. My mom controls the radio, ahhhh! Yea, at home I got my stereo system plugged into my computer, no worries there! I guess it depends on your situation, but IT IS a nice add-on, just to know its there, and you can use it.
    nelson.hsieh
    I used to think this was a cool feature, but now I'm not so sure. I purchased the SoundGood module for my Prism, but I rarely use it in the Prism. Instead, it's usually in the Energy Clip, so not that different than a stand-alone. My main use for an MP3 player is when I work out, and I simply don't want to sweat all over my Prism.
    Originally posted by VTL
    I used to think this was a cool feature, but now I'm not so sure. I purchased the SoundGood module for my Prism, but I rarely use it in the Prism. Instead, it's usually in the Energy Clip, so not that different than a stand-alone. My main use for an MP3 player is when I work out, and I simply don't want to sweat all over my Prism.
    Yea, it just depends on your situation and how you use your PDA within your lifestyle. Many people would be far better off with a stand alone, and many will be good with both, using either during the appropiate time. Though maybe the SoundsGood isn't bad for you, you can use the energy clip when you work out, and the Prism at all other times. Depends on the person...though being able to carry MP3s with you everywhere is pretty cool. Sometimes you just don't wanna read AvantGo or play games...
    nelson.hsieh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast