Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What I don't understand is why Sony, or some other consumer electronics company, doesn't create a hard drive based MP3 player with PalmOS/PIM built-in. Instead of combing MP3 with a PDA, merge a PDA with an MP3 player. It certainly wouldn't ad much cost beyond the LCD. The device wouldn't even require RAM or an expansion slot, since it has a hard drive. This would be a killer device for the youth market. Can you imagine an iPod with a full size display that could switch between the default media interface and PalmOS at the touch of a button?

Come on Sony...
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    What I don't understand is why Sony, or some other consumer electronics company, doesn't create a hard drive based MP3 player with PalmOS/PIM built-in. Instead of combing MP3 with a PDA, merge a PDA with an MP3 player. It certainly wouldn't ad much cost beyond the LCD. The device wouldn't even require RAM or an expansion slot, since it has a hard drive...
    Well, the LCD/touchscreen is a major cost item. Plus you still need RAM (a hard drive is sequential storage, not random-access memory - software cannot execute from a disk). You also need a second CPU since the DSP in an MP3 player won't run PalmOS and the Dragonball isn't really suited to MP3 decoding. Throw in the cost of licensing PalmOS and you're looking at one very expensive MP3 player.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    Originally posted by dkessler

Throw in the cost of licensing PalmOS and you're looking at one very expensive MP3 player.
    Guess I answered my own question. Thanks.

On the issue of multimedia in a PDA...I am very much in favor of it. It is a natural evolution of the PDA as a platform. Real Networks is releasing a version of RealPlayer for PocketPC. I don't believe that a PDA can replace a dedicated MP3 player, especially when Flash memory based MP3 devices seem to be headed for obsolescence. And I certainly wouldn't trade in an iPod for an iPaq. But a PDA can offer a decent digital experience that combines audio, video, information, and wireless connectivity all in one package...something an MP3 player will never do.

Palm and Handspring have held to an aging philosophy of mobile computing where the PDA is essentially an electronic organizer. The paths that each company is taking to get away from that market is marginal at best. Handspring is betting on the cell phone market, while Palm is betting on the always on e-mail (Blackberry) market. Neither one is going to really succeed. Handspring is jumping into the Smartphone market just in time for its product to look obsolete. Cell phones are already slowly moving away from the monochrome voice appliance era and into the digital age. More and more mobile phones sport color displays...video capability...digital audio...wireless web/e-mail...interface customization...the times they are a changin'. Nokia, Samsung, and Sony-Ericsson are going to be unstoppable in the mobile wireless market. The Treo is going to look very uncompetitive very quickly, especially given its high price tag.
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by foo fighter

It is a natural evolution of the PDA as a platform.
    I disagree. Graphics on a 2" screen, regardless of the resolution, sucks. And unless you have expensive earphones and boatloads of memory, sound sucks, too. I do think it's going to sell more units in the short term (whiz-bang and all), but I think a pda's power is going to come more from it's ability to be connected wirelessly to a more powerful computer nearby (300 yds for 802.11b, but hopefully something with greater range while still being omnidirectional). Watching tv or dvd's on a pda is ridiculous, IYAM. Getting movie times, dictionary definitions, email, remote control use, home thermostat, library books, the daily paper, etc. makes more sense.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    [...] Getting movie times, dictionary definitions, email, remote control use, home thermostat, library books, the daily paper, etc. makes more sense.
    I'd go as far as saying that getting the daily paper and library books on a 2" screen doesn't make much sense either. AvavtGo is a decent supplement for snippets for me, but I'd never rely on it (or something like it) for heavy reading.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'd go as far as saying that getting the daily paper and library books on a 2" screen doesn't make much sense either. AvavtGo is a decent supplement for snippets for me, but I'd never rely on it (or something like it) for heavy reading.
    My wife (a librarian) is of the same opinion, whereas I like having a good selection of books I enjoy on one device with a backlight.
    -Joshua
  7.    #27  
    Infatuation being what it is, I thought I'd update. I am completely satisfied. It's not flashy. I haven't made a lot of converts. I use my pda a lot more than anyone I know, simply because it works. The li-ion battery is worth the money. Avantgo seems to be displaying much better since migrating back to windows. It still has a few display anomolies.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 04/06/2002 at 04:58 PM.
    -Joshua
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12