1.    #1  
    I’m tied to the sprint network so my choice of phones HAS to be within Sprint, the benfit being a family member of an employee so I get a great deal.

Background:
    LONG time Pac Bell to Cingular to ATT customer. Had a 1G iPhone and loved it, best phone ever made. Had the phone for nearly a year and hacked the crud out of it. Then had the opportunity to move to Sprint which would save my wife and me big bucks at the expense of a crappy phone. Prudence took over much to my kicking and screaming and I went with Sprint and an HTC touch (v1)… UGGGGGHHHH… iPhone to Windows mobile was horrid. Like an abused wife, I was sad, beaten down, and finally surrendered only to find myself being “ok” with my capture. Thank goodness for devs out there who made Windows Mobile hacks or allowed me to upgrade to 6.1, 6.5, etc.

The Pre???
    Word of the Pre came along, WOW, something like the iPhone on Sprint and it’s got great hype. I’d owned a Treo waaaay back in the day, I was happy with it so cool, Palm may come back. I knew employees and friends would not be able to get it until 3 months, so I waited.
    As the time got closer, I started to research the Pre more, see how much I could play with it.

Ran across this forum, did some research… oh no… looks like a lot of build issues, lot’s of problems and haters already, not a good sign so early. Granted iPhone had the SAME issues, in fact they were hostile to hackers versus Palms blind and yet granting eye for devs. Regardless, here were Palm diehards lambasting the product.

A Hero to Save the Day?
    What’s this I hear of? A hero to save my day? HTC? Well they sure can take a piece of **** and make it pretty so why not wait and learn more. So I waited and the first reviews came in, cool but SLOW…. Ahhh man that makes the choice harder. Finally new reviews come in, phone is faster and looks good, even this forum is talking about HERO vs PRE… worth waiting to compare the two and more than likely not, a HERO is in my future.

The Comparison!
    Finally the time comes to head down to the store to try the HERO and PRE. I must admit, at this point I am leaning towards the HERO, in fact I’m nearly ready to buy one but I thought I would be prudent and try the PRE out regardless. I’m never happy in a purchase decision unless I research a lot.
    HOLY COW, the HERO has been speed up? I would hate to see this thing “slow!” My HTC touch (v1) ran faster than this thing. Is or was the HERO a bad product? No. I can really see the potential but geez… just try changing the keyboard from normal to landscape mode… needless to say you have plenty of time to go “landscape” your garden while you wait for the keyboard to appear.

I decided that it must be that the phones had been messed with by so many people in store and that I should do a reset of both phones for a fair comparison, but first I will try the PRE. Wow, a few lags here and there but overall pretty snappy and that physical keyboard I hadn’t used in eons… I MISS IT! So I reset both phones, HERO first and then hop on over to the PRE which took me a minute or two to figure out how to restart the phone. So I wait, and wait, and wait…. Geez these both lag. Finally the PRE comes online followed a few seconds afterwards by the HERO. I would say the HERO took about 3 minutes to reset, the PRE 2… both bad but wow, more proof the HERO is a laggard.

So I pay around some more and to my surprise, the PRE is just so much more natural in many ways. The finger zooming brought me back to ye olden iPhone days of yore, and the speed was good. Form factor was better and more in tune with what I had been used to with the touch. HERO, still lagging in every way. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t horrible, just annoying. Let’s put it this way… my wife WAS dead set on buying the HERO, after trying them out, she said no way. She is waiting to compare the PRE and the PIXI.

Why I love the PRE and am Happy in my Decision.

• Great developer support and a sanctioned and blessed (in many ways) community to make this product great. (Let’s be honest here and from an iPhone lover who still likes iPhones… Apple is hostile and only friendly if they can make a buck. They are so fortunate that they had a great phone because they treated the most diehard fans like crud… bricking a phone!!! Regardless, I wish and hope the Droid steals their talent, they deserve it for being such jerks… but I digress…)
    • Small form factor
    • Great screen resolution
    • Pretty snappy and will only improve overtime
    • NO OREO effect or any other early adopter issues (build date of 10/8/09) So QC is improving apparently
    • Multitasking!
    • Slide-out keyboard that is small but EASY to use and manageable with one hand
    • You’re helping an underdog, the classic American story 
    • Synergy
    • Touchstone Charger, so cool
    • So much more small stuff, too much to mention

Summary

Fear not the reviews and negative stuff here, after all, people are more likely to voice frustration over satisfaction. Also, a forum is a place to get together and discuss and vent issues anonymously, take it for what it’s worth. Just go down to a store, try one out, you will not be sorry as I am not. I’m so glad I found the PRE, I hope WebOS succeeds and if not, at least it has succeeded in making me happy for a year until something better has come out (which something better always will) and thank you Palm PRE for making the market more competitive and being so hacker/ Dev friendly!
    that is a long post
    This signature for rent
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    that is a long post
    Indeed, but I will say it has been an even LONGER day at work
    I read it all, not too bad of a read :P

I think you will be happy in your decision. You seem to like to hack things up so customization through preware is definitely something for you. Have fun and enjoy until a better webOS phone comes out.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Wow that was a good book. Can't wait til they make a movie. Palm Pre #1 at box office 2 wks
    It was nice to read something positive, and not a rant on what they hate about the phone.
    I enjoyed the post and your thoughts, congrats!

Keep us updated about the pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryprod View Post
    just try changing the keyboard from normal to landscape mode… needless to say you have plenty of time to go “landscape” your garden while you wait for the keyboard to appear.
    There's a tool in the Android Market called "Spare Parts". And it turns on an animation when switching from landscape to portrait and back again. You'd be surprised at how the animation alone makes the transition feel a *lot* faster. I've never timed it, but I suspect that the Pre's animation does a lot to make the orientation switch feel faster. I wish I could do a timing comparison, now.
    So I reset both phones, HERO first and then hop on over to the PRE which took me a minute or two to figure out how to restart the phone. So I wait, and wait, and wait…. Geez these both lag. Finally the PRE comes online followed a few seconds afterwards by the HERO.
    Really? Wow. Something is wrong with that Hero. Because on my Hero I could fully reboot and restart it 2-3 times in the amount of time it takes to reboot the Pre. I have not seen a single instance of rebooting the Hero that took longer than rebooting the Pre. Not anywhere close.
    • NO OREO effect or any other early adopter issues (build date of 10/8/09) So QC is improving apparently
    I'm not sure I think that this is fair to give as a point to the Pre. Oreo effect is impossible on the Hero
    • Multitasking!
    Hero multitasks, too. And I think that it's more advanced multitasking than Pre. Pre forces you to manage resources by deciding which cards to keep and which to dispose of. And gives you an error when you've done it wrong. Hero manages starting and stopping tasks for you. Just my $0.02.
    • Synergy
    • Touchstone Charger, so cool
    I gotta agree on these two. Hero has contact linking ala Synergy, but it's rudimentary compared to what can be done w/Synergy. And there's simply nothing that the Hero has that compares to the Touchstone.
    Just go down to a store, try one out, you will not be sorry as I am not.
    I currently own a Pre - have since release day. But I'd recommend that you consider re-evaluating the Hero. And I'd recommend that you do more than just go to the store. I bought one from BestBuy and put it on my plan - which I can effectively do for 30 days for free. I returned it before the 30 days were up. I really don't think you can get a good sense of how well either of the phones perform until you depend on them for everything. Then you really learn the quirks.

After I did that, I came away preferring the Hero. But that's only because I have a set of preferences for performance that the Pre doesn't meet. YMMV.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  9.    #9  
    mu7efcer -

Thanks for your well thought out response in support of the Hero. Overall, I don't think the Hero is a bad device at all, otherwise it would have never garnered serious attention by me nor a long thought out post but it is indeed laggy at times and a few friends I know who have one will attest to that. It's not androids fault, just slightly older hardware for a newer OS. Granted the Pre can lag as well, but overall it seems a bit snappier.

As far as the Oreo effect not applying to the Hero, yes you are correct obviously but my list of reasons I love the Pre was not exclusive to it's comparison strictly with the Hero, but rather a comparison to some of the things I had read on this forum that pushed me into the Hero camp initially. I suppose my title is a bit device comparison oriented but it's meant to be both device and forum related. In fact, even knowing after an hour of messing with the two phones, that I'd prefer the Pre... I was STILL skeptical and expected that once I received my phone, I would find something wrong such as the oreo effect or perhaps light bleed. I found none and therefore build quality worries expected from posts here (rightfully so) were cast aside as quality seems to have improved.

As far as multitasking, I think the Pre wins but it's really a personal preference. I don't mind managing my cards anymore than my windows on my PC. I'm well aware, bugs aside, that every device is limited in its resources and therefore I cannot have a trillion cards open, but I prefer it to remain my choice.

No device is perfect, and no device fits everyone perfectly. It becomes a matter of finding which features are the most important and which you do not care about, triage I suppose. For me, the Pre offered so many more features and just felt more natural in its navigation. I beleive the android OS will grow, mature and more than likely overtake unless Apple responds with something, which they will. Regardless, I would be happy with either the Hero or the Pre compared to my WinMo phone, but the Pre & WebOS marriage is just better excuted comp[ared to the HTC/ android OS in my opinion.
    I also have both and I feel between both I have what I call the perfect device the pre does some things real good and so does the hero I seem to luv both devices
    Fred
    For those reading this and considering a Hero or a Pre, don't forget to check out the Moment too!
    Hero all the way. Let's hope after a few months you don't need a cup of milk with your oreo. Playing. Anyways I don't know what hero you used because mine is very quick. Htc has newer versions out that are faster and I have one. The first one I got on the 9th was slower and had slight build quality issues. This new one is flawless. Unless you own both I think reviewing a phone you played with at the store is unfair.

The issue with boot time is because of sense UI. Stock android boots in under a minute.

Good luck with your choice.