Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this article, can't say that I disagree with his points, I feel that WebOS has lost some of its initial momentum and needs more apps soon or it will fall far behind Android and the iPhone. What does everyone think?

    Iím Putting my Palm Pre on Notice
  2. #2  
    It really doesnt matter to me to be honest with you..I couldnt care less what other people think about it..right now Im happy with the Pre and when Im not I'll get something else.
  3. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #3  
    The grass is always greener.

    I'm very happy with Sprint, Palm, WebOS, PreCentral, and my wife's cooking.
  4. #4  
    Falling behind? That's impossible as they were ahead for all of a week or two before iPhone 3GS hit with similar specs and way better apps and performance.

    But I will say that as critical as I have been of the Pre, I think we need to see where Palm is at the end of this generation to make the definitive assessment. Right now, there are a lot of balls in the air with promised updates, impending Verizon launch and the app store supposedly to come out of beta.

    If somehow, miraculously, all of these things go aces, it would be a new ballgame. I don't know for how long until the competition sucks all of the air out of the room again.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Falling behind? That's impossible as they were ahead for all of a week or two before iPhone 3GS hit with similar specs and way better apps and performance.
    Good point, perhaps I should have rephrased my post as "Is WebOS falling too far behind?" I also agree with you that waiting a bit is the best course of action, maybe Palm will have some announcements early next year to bring the platform to the forefront once again.
  6. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    The grass is always greener.

    I'm very happy with Sprint, Palm, WebOS, PreCentral, and my wife's cooking.
    So true. I think people just want apps because they see the "50,000 apps for iPhone" posts. I wonder how many people actually have a list of apps they really need.

    It's still a phone. You don't need apps like you do on a computer. People don't talk about a specific app, they just want apps... Not that I wouldn't welcome a couple of good apps, but I think the apps thing is currently blow out of proportions.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    So true. I think people just want apps because they see the "50,000 apps for iPhone" posts. I wonder how many people actually have a list of apps they really need.

    It's still a phone. You don't need apps like you do on a computer. People don't talk about a specific app, they just want apps... Not that I wouldn't welcome a couple of good apps, but I think the apps thing is currently blow out of proportions.
    If you don't think apps are that important for a smartphone, why have a smartphone at all? Most feature phones these days can duplicate the non-thrid party app functions just dandy (e.g. mail, messaging, web browsing, music playing). Surely that would be all you "need"?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    It's still a phone. You don't need apps like you do on a computer. People don't talk about a specific app, they just want apps... Not that I wouldn't welcome a couple of good apps, but I think the apps thing is currently blow out of proportions.
    Bruba, I too am happy with my Pre, however, I want the platform to succeed, hence the reason I bring up the post.
  9. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you don't think apps are that important for a smartphone, why have a smartphone at all? Most feature phones these days can duplicate the non-thrid party app functions just dandy (e.g. mail, messaging, web browsing, music playing). Surely that would be all you "need"?
    I like apps, but it's just all apps, apps, apps now, because they see big numbers elsewhere. As I said, it's blow out of proportions right now. Give it a rest.

    Besides apps, I couldn't 'live without' a good browser on a touch screen, multitasking, synergy messaging, google maps, a full qwerty keyboard. If you can name one feature phone that does what webOS does minus the apps, please let me know..
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    So true. I think people just want apps because they see the "50,000 apps for iPhone" posts. I wonder how many people actually have a list of apps they really need.

    It's still a phone. You don't need apps like you do on a computer. People don't talk about a specific app, they just want apps... Not that I wouldn't welcome a couple of good apps, but I think the apps thing is currently blow out of proportions.
    I wrote the article in question and I actually DO mention specific apps I need to use on a daily basis with my iPhone 3GS. I also stated that it's not about having 100,000 apps, it's about having the ones that I need.
  11. Mitalis's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    #11  
    Yes I think Web O/S is falling behind. When I buy a phone out of the box, I expect basic functionality being available out of the box like being able to forward text messages, and being able set my own alert tones for text/MMS/email messages.

    Web O/S is now 6 months old I find it pretty sad that I have to resort to using unofficial patches to add these basic features. Palm really needs to get on the ball here and start providing feedback back to their community.. You can go to Palm's official forums, and see that the majority of posts from palm are people who copy/paste a templated message saying something like "Palm has logged this in its software issue tracking system."

    And don't even get me started on the application install limitations.. That's another story.

    Sorry just venting here.. >_<;;
  12. #12  
    It does kinda irritate me sometimes that I don't have any mindless apps on my Pre. However, I would hardly say that WebOs is behind the curve as an cell phone OS.

    As long as there are things that WebOs does better, WebOs is not behind. The Pre may not have many apps, but the OS is fairly sound and improvements have come at a brisk pace. No need for worry here.

    As for hardware, why do you think that Apple puts out a new Iphone each year? It's because Apple knows that if they do not, they will get left behind.

    The Pre will give way to the Pre 2. Such is the natural order of things. Concerns about WebOs falling behind are premature at best, and foolish at their core. If 2010 goes by without a hardware update for WebOs, then worry. Otherwise, keep your shirt on.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It does kinda irritate me sometimes that I don't have any mindless apps on my Pre. However, I would hardly say that WebOs is behind the curve as an cell phone OS.

    As long as there are things that WebOs does better, WebOs is not behind. The Pre may not have many apps, but the OS is fairly sound and improvements have come at a brisk pace. No need for worry here.

    As for hardware, why do you think that Apple puts out a new Iphone each year? It's because Apple knows that if they do not, they will get left behind.

    The Pre will give way to the Pre 2. Such is the natural order of things. Concerns about WebOs falling behind are premature at best, and foolish at their core. If 2010 goes by without a hardware update for WebOs, then worry. Otherwise, keep your shirt on.
    [sarcasm]Well according to sivan, the Pre is a bug ridden OS!! They should fix it NOW!! How dare they release a 1.0 OS with so many bugs![/sarcasm]
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  14. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    So true. I think people just want apps because they see the "50,000 apps for iPhone" posts. I wonder how many people actually have a list of apps they really need.

    It's still a phone. You don't need apps like you do on a computer. People don't talk about a specific app, they just want apps... Not that I wouldn't welcome a couple of good apps, but I think the apps thing is currently blow out of proportions.
    Not everybody is into apps, but I think there is general acknowledgement that the whole mobile space is moving in that direction, with more and more computing happening on your device. What we're seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg. Going forward, app variety and sophistication will likely define platforms. From that standpoint, it's very important.
  15. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinCTofel View Post
    I wrote the article in question and I actually DO mention specific apps I need to use on a daily basis with my iPhone 3GS. I also stated that it's not about having 100,000 apps, it's about having the ones that I need.
    Sure, I understand you need a couple of apps. I wouldn't mind a decent photo editing program myself. I'm just saying people (I wasn't talking you specifically) scream apps! video! etc!, but in the end I wonder how many are really using that video recorder. And that's not to say I wouldn't mind having a video recorder. It's just not as important as people make it out to be.

    Maybe it's the hardcore, that need something new every day. That's certainly easier when you have a list of new apps to scroll through. Maybe it's Apple apps ads that convinced people, I just think it's too early to write the Pre off because of its apps. It's the best multitasking, messaging, email and browser phone I've ever had. Not much has changed about that since it launched. Android might've gotten a little better, but the iPhone OS is still the non-multitasking, qwerty-hating beast it was.
  16. #16  
    Apps noawadays are different than shareware we used to have on the old Palm OS. Remember the origin, it's Apple's iTunes model of downloading $1 tracks. Apps are throwaway infotainment pieces to relieve boredom.

    Now, if people say they need to do this particular thing or another, but they can't, we can reason about what they need and which phone lets them do it. But if they just scream about apps or lack thereof, that seems to me like demanding to be entertained by their device. I'd add as well, that the iPhone UI is built to be playful on purpose.

    We don't need another Apple wannabe. It's easy to just buy an iPhone. Palm's is essentially saying they don't have a vision and it's better to let developers decide what its products are good for.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    The grass is always greener.

    I'm very happy with Sprint, Palm, WebOS, PreCentral, and my wife's cooking.
    Your wife reads these threads, huh?
  18. #18  
    I still love the phone but I am getting impatient. Nowhere near ditching the phone nervous, but definitely impatient. I stopped showing the phone off because it seems to constantly get slower and slower, even after multiple reboots. I didn't expect it to take this long to get the video recorder out, something that would be handy for my 1 year old's antics. I certainly didn't buy the phone specifically for games, but I had hoped for a few fun games like Jelly Car and Pocket Tanks from the iPhone to show up on the Pre. But any developer would be insane to program a game with animation on the Pre cause its constant lag.

    The browser seems to get worse with every release. I seem to constantly be bumping links I didn't mean to now when scrolling, didn't seem that bad at first. There are days I just throw the phone down out of frustration.

    And as was mentioned, the application space issue not being addressed yet is mind boggling. For us precentralers its an easy fix...but average users have to be furious. I am starting to get a little nervous now that webOS may be in trouble.
  19. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jalapeno View Post
    Just saw this article, can't say that I disagree with his points, I feel that WebOS has lost some of its initial momentum and needs more apps soon or it will fall far behind Android and the iPhone. What does everyone think?

    In terms of momentum then to the rest of the industry then the Pre has come and gone. For a while they had an incredible amount of mindshare, but due to confusing pricing, poor apps, sprint exclusivity, QC issues and a featureless updates then there is absolutely nothing to talk about anymore. The press is even so bored that they don't even bother giving the iTunes/Pre war anything more than a mention.

    Yes, the Pre is a fantastic phone and WebOS is ahead of the curve in many aspects. BUT the problem is that the Pre at launch isn't any different than the one right now. That's good enough for current users but for those on the fence then what exactly is motivating someone to switch to a platform that looks pretty stagnant.
  20. #20  
    Either the Pre will survive, or it won't. I love my Pre right now and plan to use it for my full three year (hello Bell Canada!) contract. In three years, the game space will have changed so much it will probably make every hot phone now look like a children's toy. So then I can get into another round of debates on why the Goggle Tobor is better or worse than the Morotrola Vanity and plan my purchases accordingly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions