Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Falling behind?

    Didn't WebOS Start from behind?

    They have a painful up-climb, and at certain moments it may appear there is some back sliding.

    <<moved to correct forum - WebOS platform compared to [platform]>>
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #22  
    Yes yes its so far behinde....But lets fail to list the following...

    1) This is a FIRST GEN device/OS...
    2) Lets not talk about how Palm has made the phone OS faster and more reliable. (GREAT updates & fixes)
    3) I know this isnt a selling point of the device but Palm WANTS you to try out homebrew apps. Play with the phone settings! I dont know of any other company to have said this.
    4) Palms app store is still in beta...Yes it sucks but its in beta. So not every publisher is out making apps for the Pre. Im sure when its done with its beta trial it will open the flood gates to all major apps being ported to the device.

    There are more I can list but right now Im sorta at work. If people dont like WebOS then get a new phone! I for one am happy with my phone. It does what I want it to do. Plus the apps will come in time. I know that much!
  3. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Yes yes its so far behinde....But lets fail to list the following...

    1) This is a FIRST GEN device/OS...
    2) Lets not talk about how Palm has made the phone OS faster and more reliable. (GREAT updates & fixes)
    3) I know this isnt a selling point of the device but Palm WANTS you to try out homebrew apps. Play with the phone settings! I dont know of any other company to have said this.
    4) Palms app store is still in beta...Yes it sucks but its in beta. So not every publisher is out making apps for the Pre. Im sure when its done with its beta trial it will open the flood gates to all major apps being ported to the device.

    There are more I can list but right now Im sorta at work. If people dont like WebOS then get a new phone! I for one am happy with my phone. It does what I want it to do. Plus the apps will come in time. I know that much!
    1. Motorolla just showed off its first gen android device. It's called the Droid. Pretty cool for first gen huh?

    2. Haven't seen that yet. Faster and more reliable?

    3. If Palm wanted people to play with Homebrew apps or patches, they'd mention it on their website. Or put filecoaster or preware in the app catalog.

    4. You are correct that Palm claims their app catalog is beta. But hey, they are selling paid apps. Why sell paid apps if you're throwing a beta tag on them?
  4. #25  
    1. Motorolla just showed off its first gen android device. It's called the Droid. Pretty cool for first gen huh?

    Actually the droid is first gen device with 2nd gen software. The software is the key part even if the os looks quite plain.
  5. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Falling behind?

    Didn't WebOS Start from behind?

    They have a painful up-climb, and at certain moments it may appear there is some back sliding.

    <<moved to correct forum - WebOS platform compared to [platform]>>
    This pretty much sums it up better than almost everything else I've seen.
  6. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    1. Motorolla just showed off its first gen android device. It's called the Droid. Pretty cool for first gen huh?

    Actually the droid is first gen device with 2nd gen software. The software is the key part even if the os looks quite plain.
    Point is...this is their first smartphone. They hit it out of the park. Not my favorite form factor but seems to be popular enough. Has the kb, big screen, metal casing, card slot, 5mp camera (though i don't care about 5mp), etc.

    Moto wasn't doing well. They chose android. They chose to go high end. They ACT like a company that knows it needed to make its first attempt count.
  7. #28  
    Motorola has a long history of giving top notch radio reception.

    One thing that still puzzles me to no end is the lack of phone quality (reception and call clarity) with SmartPhones. PDA Phones all too often seem lacking in this area.

    Prolly for another thread; but I'll be curious to see how Moto does with this.
    The Q9h was the most amazing phone. The PDA features lacked luster, but the Phone was superb.
    Just call me Berd.
  8. #29  
    my buddy has the droid and speakerphone is LOUD and clear. he was also surprised that regular call quality was very good. i dont know how good bb pearl was but that was his last phone and said sound was better. this is in south florida.

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Motorola has a long history of giving top notch radio reception.

    One thing that still puzzles me to no end is the lack of phone quality (reception and call clarity) with SmartPhones. PDA Phones all too often seem lacking in this area.

    Prolly for another thread; but I'll be curious to see how Moto does with this.
    The Q9h was the most amazing phone. The PDA features lacked luster, but the Phone was superb.
  9. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    my buddy has the droid and speakerphone is LOUD and clear. he was also surprised that regular call quality was very good. i dont know how good bb pearl was but that was his last phone and said sound was better. this is in south florida.
    BB also have a good rep for good reception.
    Better than BB is really good news.
    But that's kinda what I have grown to expect from Moto.

    Thanks for your buddies experience.
    Just call me Berd.
  10. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Point is...this is their first smartphone. They hit it out of the park. Not my favorite form factor but seems to be popular enough. Has the kb, big screen, metal casing, card slot, 5mp camera (though i don't care about 5mp), etc.

    Moto wasn't doing well. They chose android. They chose to go high end. They ACT like a company that knows it needed to make its first attempt count.

    Not Motorola's first smartphone nor is it their first Android device.

    Motorola had the Cliq out before they had the Droid. And they've had a pretty long history of smartphones as well, the most recent of which is the Q series (Q, Q9, Q9c, Q9h, Q9m). They also had Symbian phones in addition to the WM stuff.

    This isn't their first attempt by any means.
  11. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not Motorola's first smartphone nor is it their first Android device.

    Motorola had the Cliq out before they had the Droid. And they've had a pretty long history of smartphones as well, the most recent of which is the Q series (Q, Q9, Q9c, Q9h, Q9m). They also had Symbian phones in addition to the WM stuff.

    This isn't their first attempt by any means.
    My mistake. Not too familiar with any of them. Thought they did dumbphones.
  12. #33  
    I agree wholeheartedly. Ive been with palm since the handspring visor. I had a treo 600. 650, 700p, 755p, centro, and now pre. thats a lot of history with this company. i loved the palm os. it was simple and extremely reliable. i could easlily back up all my information with a usb cable. take pics and video. and had thousands of apps. i even saw one that let your treo open magnetic doors like somethingg from a james bond film.
    so when the pre came out i was like "oh yeah. linux based too. this thing is going to destroy the iphone."

    so the first day it came out i drove 2 hours and went and got one. i was bragging about it for a week before i got it to my buddy with an iphone. when i got it he was like cool you got your phone what can it do. i was like ummm.... he was like oh can you change your message tone? i was like ummm no but it has this bell tone that i can barley here when its in my pocket. Then he was like hey check out this warcraft app i got on my phone. you should see if they have it for yours. nope didnt have that either.

    the truth is the phone was rushed and lacks basic features that are available on even the cheapest prepaid phones. i dont want to sync with google. i want cool apps and reliablity. the phone sucks and im tired of being loyal and missing out on all the cool things going on in the tech phone world. while waiting for palm to make their phone suitable for consumer use. which is it is not in its current state. imo
  13. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    just read this article and i was thinking. maybe when palm kicks the bucket it can sell web os to apple to be integrated into the iphone and survive to fight another day.
  14. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    Riiiiiiight.... these two things you should have known FAR FAR FAR in advance before buying a new phone that promoted google sunc for months and months and months.....

    You clearly should have bought an iphone. Stop talking and just jump already.... or do you need someone here to push you?

    first off ive been a loyal palm customer for along time and have every right to complain about a 600 dollar phones obvious short comings. synergy is fine. and google sync is a nice option for someone who wants it. but why couldnt they have added both. also lack of exchange server access for my mail was also a big problem for me at work.


    *on a personal note*
    If your happy with your pre good for you. But i see no need for hostility towards someone for expressing their own personal frustrations. I may well "jump" to an Iphone. But I apologize if my personal opinions offended you.
  15. Ecode's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugluv67 View Post
    first off ive been a loyal palm customer for along time and have every right to complain about a 600 dollar phones obvious short comings. synergy is fine. and google sync is a nice option for someone who wants it. but why couldnt they have added both. also lack of exchange server access for my mail was also a big problem for me at work.


    *on a personal note*
    If your happy with your pre good for you. But i see no need for hostility towards someone for expressing their own personal frustrations. I may well "jump" to an Iphone. But I apologize if my personal opinions offended you.
    I'm not the offended one (referenced by my deleted pos)... I am just reminding you that these shortcomings wern't something that came out of the woodwork after the phone was released. Going into it, we all knew google syncing played a huge role in the device. And we all knew it would take time before Palm released the API's to allow cool apps. I'm just one of the many people who are happy, and most people on the board are as well - so don't expect a lot of sympathy, and jump ship if you have/want to. Brand dis-loyalty isn't the end of the world. Plus I'm sure you could find someone to buy your Pre to recoup some costs.

    Besides, that voice activated searching/GPS, turn by turn nav thing on the droid is killer.

    Also, there's got to be some way to get your Pre to sync with exchange... unless your IT people won't help, or your work has an older exchange server/software. I feel for you on that one, as I LOVE my exchange sync now that I got it to work.
  16. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    I am just reminding you that these shortcomings wern't something that came out of the woodwork after the phone was released.

    Going into it, we all knew google syncing played a huge role in the device.

    so don't expect a lot of sympathy, and jump ship if you have/want to. Brand dis-loyalty isn't the end of the world.

    Besides, that voice activated searching/GPS, turn by turn nav thing on the droid is killer.
    1. those short comings should have been worked out in beta testing. isnt that what its for? Oh wait palm didnt really dont much testing. they announced the phone and shipped it 6 months later. Although im sure it was due to financial problems.

    2. couldnt that statement be reversed to palm. saying dont expect a lot of sympathy because your phone doesnt do what its supposed to do. Customer dis-loyalty isnt the end of the world.

    3. and yes your last statment might be true. But it is not the promised iphone killer.

    i have been a loyal palm user for over 10 years. I laughed when all these other phones started coming out with mp3 and video players. i was like ha my treo has been doing that for years.

    Palm at one time was way ahead of the curve and practically invented the smart phone. But when they got on top they rested on their laurels and didnt do anything to keep raising the bar. palm os had no real upgrades for years. the treo handsets were great but really not much difference from the treo 600 to the 755p other than a few small tweaks upgrades here and there. basically the same os. which was very simple and bullet proof.

    They tried something new with the centro which was virtually unusable by any male with normal to large sized hands because of the verysmall rubber keyboard. That phone had minimal success. Then there was the treo pro which from what i understand is not really a good choice for a win moble smart phone. (although i admit i have never used one so i cant really say for sure one way or the other.)

    Then they tried to innovate again out of shear desperation from bankruptcy. They didnt take the time to develop the phone as it should have been. instead they created a lot of hype and rushed a half finished product out the door. charged a premium price for it and is now playing catch up on the development to make the phone work like its supposed to do on MY TIME. The phone lacks basic features that are available on the most simplistic prepaid phones. So i think the term "customer dis-loyalty" is valid.

    i have owned and touted and bragged about every palm phone from the treo 600 to the 755p and centro. (palm os only, not windows).

    Think about it if they could dissapoint a longtime customer and palm advocate like myself. What about the average person who just got the phone because it was the hottest new thing.
  17. #38  
    I would say WebOS is far from falling behind. Considering they started with nothing 5 months ago you would have to expect an initial spike and then a decline followed by a leveling off in popularity.

    None of the smart phones out there are perfect.

    Palm has alot going for themselves with webOS and the Pre
    -The best UI of any of the smartphones
    -Easiest OS to develop for, patch, and hack
    -Best form factor combining a large screen with a physical vertical keyboard.
    -Best implementation of synergy. (Have you tried using exchange on a droid?)
    -Best notification system of any smartphone
    -Flash, Open GL, and Video right around the corner.

    Sure there are a couple of shortcomings but they can all be fixed.

    For all those that think WebOS is falling behind, I encourage you to spend a day using a BlackBerry, iPhone, Windows Phone or Android device and then come back here and say that. You will see that all these devices have the good points and bad points. For me WebOS has far less downsides than anything else currently out there and its only going to get better.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  18. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    -Easiest OS to develop for, patch, and hack
    -Best form factor combining a large screen with a physical vertical keyboard.
    -Best implementation of synergy. (Have you tried using exchange on a droid?)
    -Best notification system of any smartphone
    -Flash, Open GL, and Video right around the corner.

    Sure there are a couple of shortcomings but they can all be fixed.

    1. Then what are they waiting for?
    2. Debatable. Small centro like buttons, phone is very top heavy while typing, and the lip is so sharp you can slice cheese with it. really i saw a video of a guy slicing cheese with his pre on youtube.
    3.have you tried Exchange on pre? It is not very reliable and while there are solutions to make it work. it is not seemless and usually requires an IT to make specific changes so that your pre will work with your companys exchange server.
    4.thats a joke right? Then why cant ichange my alert tone to something i want instead of a barley audible tone. i cant tell you haow many messages i have missed because of this.
    5. I'll beleive it when i see it.

    Ifound most of your statement to be based on opinion and not very factual. IMO with all due respect.
  19. #40  
    Good point.
    which only strengthens my argument about the average consumer who picks up a pre because its the hottes thing sprints got going right now.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions