1.    #1  
    Hi-res. Jog-wheel. MP3 playback. Sound output. Memory Stick. Sony.

Sounds familiar?

I too am tempted by the damned Sony Clie... but I REFUSE to go to the dark side... I dunno why, but I just refuse to!

My deluxe is dead... and I'm surviving on an IBM Workpad c3... I can't wait to get another Visor and a Soundsgood and FlashPlus

Who else is tempted????

Cheers.
    :menu:andre
    :shortcut: my little webby
    I still love my Visor Prism
    I just purchased the T615C and just LOVE IT. I can honestly say I will never go back to Black and White and probably will never go back to low res. The screen is just awesome. Now if I can only figure out how to keep the thing away from my wife all will ge good. I may have to fork over another $400 and get her one.

By the way I have a year and a half old Deluxe that I can sell you if you are interested in sticking with what you had. I can tell you it looks brand new and I even have a year and a half left on the Best Buy extended policy I can transfer to the new owner.
    Originally posted by Zip-Zilla

Who else is tempted????

Cheers.
    :menu:andre
    Not me, man. OS5 devices are coming out later this year (hopefully) - these puppies will be cheap then, they are already discounting the Edge! (Time to get one to play with...and it's gonna be summer soon - maybe static electricity won't be the death of it)
    I was. Almost did it this week.

I feel ashamed.:-)

Gonna wait till the color treo before I replace my prism.

I want to buy a treo and probably will, but by the time it comes out I'm sure there will be other choices. A lot more choices.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The Clie PEG-T415 is calling my name. Or the T615C. I must admit. I am looking around for a new PDA. Doubt I'll get a Handspring.
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Never thought I would say it, but I am looking real serious at the 615. My only problem is I would like to hold one (Best Buy feels the need to clamp everything down) and I would like to see it outside.

I may get one in the next couple of days. I am going to offer my Prism to my wife, but if she does not want it, I am going to sell it.
    Howard
    I was also pretty intrigued by the idea of the 615, mainly because of its small size, hi-res, expandability, etc., but also because the screen is using a new type of technology. It's called transflective, and it's evidently a combination of reflective and backlit (i.e. like the Prism) as it allows the backlight to come through the LCD, but it also reflects the ambient light.

I was attracted by this since every reflective screen I've ever used or looked at has given me severe eyestrain, so I was hoping this would be different!

I spent about 10 minutes with it in the store today, and, happily, no eyestrain!! I say "happily" since it means I may be able to get a usable (for me) color screen in the future, however, I don't think it's gonna be the 615.

Here's what I didn't like about it:
    - It is light, but it's not really that thin or tiny - I think it's a lot like the other Clies, with rounded corners, and somewhat thinner.
    - The jogdial, which I had heard someone say was extremely usable, I found to be a little awkward to use - the unit is so light that it makes the jogdial somewhat hard to use easily. I think it could use to be a little looser, and to be sticking out a bit more from the side.
    - I really don't like the Sony fonts! Sure, the program called Thin Font Fix (or something like that) will help, but I just can't get past the funny Japanese-english styling of the fonts. Plus, the bad spacing relative to punctuation is really annoying.

Pros are that it seems nice and fast, and nice and bright, and the colors, while definitely being a bit poor in the reds, are probably livable.

I'm sticking with my fantastic VDx for now!!!
    I'm also waiting till later this year to upgrade. I'm hoping for big things from OS 5. What if OS 5 and the early devices that run it are just ho-hum? I'll pick up a by then discounted T-series. It's a win-win situation. Actually its win-win-win, because I just bought the new Palm 5-series hardcase to hold me over!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    I'm also waiting till later this year to upgrade. I'm hoping for big things from OS 5. What if OS 5 and the early devices that run it are just ho-hum? I'll pick up a by then discounted T-series. It's a win-win situation. Actually its win-win-win, because I just bought the new Palm 5-series hardcase to hold me over!

He's starting to give in . I think?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by harrisupstate
    Here's what I didn't like about it:
    [...]
    - I really don't like the Sony fonts! Sure, the program called Thin Font Fix (or something like that) will help, but I just can't get past the funny Japanese-english styling of the fonts. Plus, the bad spacing relative to punctuation is really annoying.
    I used ThinFontFix for a while with my T615C, and that definitely made things readable for me. (I agree with you about the fonts -- that's one of the things that made me return the N710C.)

But then I tried a free Hack, FontHack123 4.0c (Hi-Res beta), with a series of different hi-res fonts, this weekend...

Oh, man, is this nice. Several people have put out free Hi-Res fonts, and I'm just loving it. At the moment, I'm using a bold Handera font as my default font -- and it looks just great. No spacing problems whatsoever. Extremely readable.

The only thing more readable is WordSmith with a couple of TrueType fonts converted to FineType -- now that's impressive.

But to each his own. I'm really glad I got the T615C -- this one will do just what I want for several years.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Im tempted to go for a sony but dont know much about its capability and compatability of using it for wireless surfing and email using a gsm phone with IR modem.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I like my visor but its a little slow and only OS 3.1. I feel left behind ;-(
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by donnan
    Im tempted to go for a sony but dont know much about its capability and compatability of using it for wireless surfing and email using a gsm phone with IR modem.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I like my visor but its a little slow and only OS 3.1. I feel left behind ;-(
    Well, in what way cant your Visor access the internet using a gsm mobile with an IR modem?

Who says you cant? :P
    :shortcut: my little webby
    I still love my Visor Prism
    I was not saying that my visor cant access the net using an IR modem on a gsm phone. Infact it can, its just very slow. it takes nearly 1 min 30 secs to send one email via IR.

what I was questioning was if the Sony Clie 425/415 can connect to the internet using an IR modem on a gsm phone.

I would like to upgrade to the sony but Im not sure if it can do the above.

Do you have a Visor, Clie 415/425 or do you have both?

I shall have to wait a few weeks to upgrade. Here in the UK the Clie 425 is just coming on to the market and does not appear that readily available.