1.    #1  
    Cnets latest top 5 Palm OS devices as of 2/08/02 states:

1. Samsung SPH-I300 PDA/phone
    2. Sony CLIE PEG-N610CV
    3. Sony CLIE PEG-S320
    4. Sony CLIE PEG-T615C
    5. Handspring Visor Deluxe (Graphite)

Heres the question? Are you surprised that not one Palm device is on this list? I'm not. The other is point is Sony is becoming this 500lb, uh lemme rephrase that, Sony is becoming a 500 ton Godzilla in the PDA market and is trouncing the competitionwith its fast turnaround on its steadily improved devices. Sony is not exactly eating into PPC sales but they are erroding Palm branded devices sales. In the end is this truly good? Maybe Palm should follow the microsoft model and stick with the OS development. Drop hardware all together.

PS. Notice Handspring is still on the list. (still sentimental to HS)**sniff sniff
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    mikedemo, your posts are nearly all "Yay Sony, can you believe how incredible this company is?" Aren't you tired of tooting that horn?

Fine, they're great and all, but I don't see them running the table in terms of market share. For me, the choice between a 615 and a M505 is a toss-up. The m505 feels smaller and feels, well, like a Palm. That feel is important to a lot of execs, and I don't think Sony has come up with something to compete with that.

Has palm got the latest and the greatest? Nope. But don't discount Mothra. he can surprise you
    I tend to agree with both of you. While I love my CLIE, I consider myself to be the informed consumer. Just as I would consider most people who visit this board and the many PDA boards. I would also consider the people who rank PDA's to be well informed, or they should seek other employment. The point is, all of us view it from a very different point of view than the average consumer.

I agree with Mike, that Sony is making huge market gains inside of the Palm Market. Constant updating of their products and design changes has certainly kept them in the news. While it gives the user plenty of great options in virtually every price level, that means almost nothing to the average consumer.

This is where I agree with Dietrich. There will always be those people who will never buy anything that does not have the Palm, Inc. Logo on it. There are many different reasons for this. Long time Palm users may stick with what they know. First time buyers often purchase what those around them have. Many consumers, despite the Sony and Handspring products, have no idea that either is compatible with Palm, Inc. devices.

I was in BestBuy a few weeks back and I was looking at the PDA's. There was a lady there getting ready to make her first PDA purchase. She was looking at the M505, because the people in her office had them and she wanted to be able to exchange data with their Palms. Since the BestBuy Associate could not be found, I began to talk with her. I explained to her about Palm, HandSpring, and Sony all running PalmOS and that all devices were compatible. I showed her the Sony T415, S320, and Palm M500, all monochrome and all cheaper. I also showed her the Sony 610, another cheaper model.

Through all this, she never would fully believe that all were compatible with one another. She left with the M505, a Stowaway, and WriteRights. While her purchase is a good one, it also explains the mentality of most average consumers.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Sony is not exactly eating into PPC sales but they are erroding Palm branded devices sales.
    It's doubtful Sony (or any PalmOS vendor) will erode PocketPC marketshare because each platform has a different philosophy that neither can fully compete with. As prices come down, PPC marketshare will continue to increase incrementally. The biggest victims of Sony's presence are Palm and Handspring...especially Handspring. Look at the data from last year's sales. Sony doubled it's share, Compaq doubled it's share, and Handspring grew by less than 1%.

My guess is that Palm and Sony will continue to fight it out in the low and mid-range, while PocketPC dominates the high-end, slowly making its way to the mid-range.

PalmOS will continue to lead the consumer market, while PocketPC leads the enterprise.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    . . . Has palm got the latest and the greatest? Nope. But don't discount Mothra. he can surprise you
    I wasn't trying to put boost Sony. I am concerened about the Palm Platform as a whole, which I love. The reson I got hooked on the Sony was the fact that they were trying to move forward and add multimedia. Palm keeps telling to us what we should want. Now hear this!! Multimedia is inevitable. Let me repeat. Inevitable!!! PC sales went through the roof because of it back in the mid 90's. The same will hold true for PDA's. PPC's growth is the indicator.

Palm started at one end which was price and basic functionality. (great in the beginning, lowered cost). PPC makers started by putting in too much too soon (made them expensive). But because of the closing gap in prices for example, the Palm M505 started at a price of $499, which is low-end PPC territory!! And we all know that Palm is not even close to the capabilities of PPC multimedia. I fear I am almost certain that I'll be on a PPC next year. Sony this go around with their T-615, which is a M505 with a hires-screen, better audio, etc . . ) started at $399. Heck I got mine for $379.99. The other Palm makers are holding the fort for Palm. Palm has not truly made a real step since the Palm V and they tried milking it way too long. Heck even Apple realized when they needed to put out a new iMac. notice iMac is a big departure from original. Lets not talk about the M505 which I still think should have been called a Palm Vc or Palm VSE (SE= Special edition).

So I meant not to push Sony, Sony, Sony. But to say what is really happening in the Palm paltform? There seems to be a lot lost oppurtunities on Palm's part. Handspring, Handera and Sony seem to be making the right moves, but they can only go so far since the OS is owned by Palm.
    -Mikedemo
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    I . . . Through all this, she never would fully believe that all were compatible with one another. She left with the M505, a Stowaway, and WriteRights. While her purchase is a good one, it also explains the mentality of most average consumers.
    She'll learn soon enough. She'll at some point meat a Clie or Handspring user and compare. Once she really depends on her PDA, she'll want more. That seems to be the trend. And most hardcore PDA users get weened off a Palm Brand device to Handspring, Handera, Sony or even to the PPC arena.

Y'know how many Palm users jaw drop when they look at my T-615 in action. Heck I converted many to Handspring when I Had my VDX then my Prism. Just by using my device like I normally do.
    -Mikedemo
    Foo Double or no double...10% market share is nothing. Palm INc seem to be the one losing the most marketshare to everyone.

The real questions should be how long the Palm Platform with last without profits. No one in the Palm Economy is making money -- not Sony, not Handspring, not Palm..don't know about Handera. I suspect that Sony will eventually ease out of the Palm PDA space and jump on the PPC bandwagon. They aint going to keep making their PDA at a loss just to please us.
    GSR13 is spot on the money, as usual. We Are Not Average Buyers -- nor are the features most Visor Central want ones the general public is (yet) interested in.

We've had the initiative and interest to actually spend free time asking questions, downloading software, and discussing the features of these things. The average PDA user doesn't. It's a tool. They buy it like a calculator or a cell phone.

I develop software and hardware for a large company; the one thing I've found, time and again, is that when we're doing customer/market research, you cannot CANNOT CANNOT imprint your own opinions or ideas onto the customers. You gotta ask them, and then you gotta listen.

Most of them have no idea that anyone makes Palm PDAs besides Palm, and are naturally suspicious of "knock-offs". They don't understand that it's the OS that makes the unit work with everything.

God knows I love what Sony and Handspring have done, and I wish more people would Grok it. But wishing ain't a-gonna make it happen.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."