Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    if the hardware actually supports multitouch then how come the browser doesnt respond to it you have to use the focus buttons.

Because Google has a deal with Apple that the built-in apps won't do multi-touch in the U.S.

European models will have multitouch in the built-in apps. 3rd party apps can use it both places. Why did they make the deal? You'll have to talk to Google and Apple folks about that (hint, some folks are on the boards of both).
    Checked out both the Droid and Droid Eris (and Storm 2, while I was at it) on Friday at the Verizon store on 57th St. and 6th Ave. in Manhattan. There was an HTC rep there for the Droid Eris, but nobody from Motorola.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed with the Droid. I think it's one of the best phone on Verizon, but it won't be a game changer that the iPhone was. I don't find Android that easy to use and navigate and the camera wasn't so good and I thought the phone was a little clunky and slow overall. Didn't like the physical keyboard either, but their virtual keyboard was good.

Actually, I was more impressed with the Eris and if I was a Verizon customer, I would have walked away with that phone instead. The HTC rep there told me that it was going to upgrade to Android 2 in a few months. The Eris' virtual keyboard was better than the Droid's and I liked the pinch zoom.

I asked one of the Verizon reps there why the US version of the Droid didn't have multitouch, but the European one did. He said he didn't know the answer, but he agreed that the Droid was missing out by not having it.

Overall, the store was crowded, but it wasn't it was overflowing nor was there a huge line up to test the phone out. Most people there seemed to be existing Verizon customers. I overheard a few people speaking there saying that they had the iPhone and that they loved it, but they hated AT&T. As bad as AT&T's network is, I don't think the Droid is the device that will have iPhone customers switch. The HTC rep there was very friendly and answered all my questions. He said the Hero was the same as the Eris and he made a snipe at Verizon for being so expensive. He couldn't understand how they had such customer loyalty considering how much more expensive they are and attributed it to good marketing.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Long time palm user here and not really happy I'm writing this. I like the Pre and think it is an excellent device. I just got my wife a Droid-- here are my impressions.

Overall though, the Droid is superior in a few ways. (I have a Pre - got a Droid for my wife).
    1- Although many complaints about the Droid keyboard are around, it is still better than the Pre's.
    2- Navigation is amazing.
    3- Speed and smoothness of the OS are better than the Pre.
    4- The app catalogue is superior (yeah-- I am willing to give palm dev's some more time)
    5- Voice activated- nuff said.
    6- Screen is huge and gorgeous.

The browsers are comparable, battery life is typical smartphone battery for both. I like the feel of the device shape of the Pre better. Multitasking on the Pre is superior by far and the UI is prettier on the palm.

IMO the real issue for Palm is APPS. I immediately found what I wanted and needed for the Droid (for my wife). A few of these don't exist at all for the Pre. I love the shape and feel and the UI (although it gets laggy sometimes). I really hope development shifts into high gear soon for the WebOS or Palm is in deep trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    My only complaint when comes to Droid and Verizon, you're a Day Late and Dollar Short. Verizon has been stagnet for a long while, and I like many were hopeful for products like the Storm or otherwise that never quite made it. The Pre and Sprint have been cooking for a while and simply getting better every day.

Droid doesn't come close to the Pre when it comes to interface (no multitouch, huh???), half baked multitasking, and misc problems still needing ironing out. The Basher will chime in shortly to inform me the Pre is no way perfect, but then what is and I'll take all of Palm Pres shortcomings over a device missing things I've come to expect with my Beloved Pre.
    What is "half baked" about the multitasking on Android? Hold down the trackball/optical pad(for Moment) button, and it brings up all the opened apps. I don't see the problem there.
    Its funny how every smartphone gets parsed to death, and we get all worked about the ins and outs and comparisons.

Here's an article that I found interesting... Surprise! The Droid Eris is a better smartphone than the Droid
    I'm torn between loving a large screen and having to carry it around. I think a Treo format is as big as I would like, but with the smaller Pre, I like it better. The iPhone is too big for me and the Droid is the same.

The screen on the Droid is nice. The landscape slider has always felt like more work than the short movements allowed by the portrait keyboard (slider or not.)

I love the fact that we have enough good smart phones coming out that the things that differentiate them or often preferences of the user.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Someone brough in his droid today at work and I was blown away with some of the apps!

Bar Code scanner integrated with weight watchers, just scan the box and add it to your points for the day.

The phone can listen to music using the micropone and identify the song.

Voice activated google search (Also available on Blackberry)

The UI was snappy
    I did not like the slideout keyboard. The keys are flat which makes it not so easy to use. On screen is keyboard is probably easier to use. I still prefer the smaller palm keyboard with the raised keys.

Anyway, this is my first reaction to the Droid. I am still happy with my Palm.

I still like the look and feel of the pre, and am a long time palm user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    Do we have to go through this again? Android 2.0 DOES IN FACT support mutlitouch, it is just not implemented in any apps as of now. This "no multitouch" thing is getting so annoying.
    Boy, a little sensitive, eh? Just keep clicking your heels and saying "my Droid has multitouch, my Droid has multitouch......" Feeling better already I bet!
    US Droid has Multi-touch is the same as saying the Pre has Flash.

Both support it. But neither HAS it. So will Droid get multi-touch before the Pre gets flash?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    Looks like we do have to go over it again. Everyone knows that multitouch is "supported" in 2.0 but can you actually use it throughout the phone's UI? Unfortunately, the answer is no. And until you can, that argument is going to continue to come up.
    Not in the US version, but in the Euro version, yes it's enabled. I think Verizon may have requested it disabled, bonehead move if so.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Because Google has a deal with Apple that the built-in apps won't do multi-touch in the U.S.

European models will have multitouch in the built-in apps. 3rd party apps can use it both places. Why did they make the deal? You'll have to talk to Google and Apple folks about that (hint, some folks are on the boards of both).
    Oh is that the reason? I thought it may have been Verizon crippling to avoid a lawsuit with Apple.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    apparently android 2.0 has numerous glitches and will have fixes rolled out to take care of them before there is an up swelling of resentment (sound familiar?)

among the issues:camera focus, phone locks up, media player, bluetooth, etc.....(too many to mention)

Just goes to show that even if you're the big boy on the block, there's ALWAYS going to be room for improvement.
    2.1 was in the works even before 2.0 even dropped. Google is on top of things. They are working fast. I think the hero would already have 2.0 if it weren't for sense UI.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    2.1 was in the works even before 2.0 even dropped. Google is on top of things. They are working fast. I think the hero would already have 2.0 if it weren't for sense UI.
    they better work fast, smartphone geeks want instant gratification, (does google also have ver 2.2 in the works before 2.1 drops? )
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40 View Post
    Boy, a little sensitive, eh? Just keep clicking your heels and saying "my Droid has multitouch, my Droid has multitouch......" Feeling better already I bet!
    If by sensitive you mean "annoyed at people that believe false things", then yes, I am sensitive.

Seriously though, this has been covered on almost EVERY tech blog in the past few weeks. The Droid DOES SUPPORT multitouch, however, the Droid UI does not implement it.

In Other News...

I just showed one of my professors my Droid today and he said he is planning on dropping his current plan (on T-Mobile) and getting a Droid. He was blown away by the screen and the overall snappyness of the device.

My only complaint is that the camera could be better. However, I use my phone for calling people, e-mail, calendar, and web-browsing. My last phone, which I had for 2 years, probably had a total of 12 pictures on it that I took.
    Why can't we all just get along?

Entelligence: Heads I win, tails so do you
    I spoke to a friend about the Droid and she remarked how she loved it. The big reason is the keyboard supports females with longer fingernails. It's a softer touch. That alone is a big win for the women. The voice recognition is pretty big in my opinion. I'll stick with the Pre for the time being as I have confidence that the WebOS is a platform for the future.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I spoke to a friend about the Droid and she remarked how she loved it. The big reason is the keyboard supports females with longer fingernails. It's a softer touch. That alone is a big win for the women. The voice recognition is pretty big in my opinion. I'll stick with the Pre for the time being as I have confidence that the WebOS is a platform for the future.
    funny, I asked many of my female coworkers what they thought of the droid and they 100% thought it was ugly and reminded them of the old brick like cell phones, (go figure). For what it's worth they own pre's and love the design and not one of them mentioned anything about performance? (again go figure?)
    Quote Originally Posted by rnash2 View Post
    Bar Code scanner integrated with weight watchers, just scan the box and add it to your points for the day.
    Only an engineer would design something like this. A healthy diet should minimize processed foods in the first place.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    US Droid has Multi-touch is the same as saying the Pre has Flash.

Both support it. But neither HAS it. So will Droid get multi-touch before the Pre gets flash?
    Actually the Droid-multitouch argument reminds me of the iPhone-multitask argument. It can, but won't.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast