View Poll Results: What is your stance on the Pre and WebOS in general???

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Have a Pre anfd will stick with WebOS regardless!!!

53 56.99%
  • I have a Pre and am looking at other options ATM...

18 19.35%
  • I jumped ship to another platform and never coming back!!!

8 8.60%
  • I jumped ship to another platform till the next gen Pre is announced

4 4.30%
  • Other (please specify)

10 10.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see a lot of new devices making people want to jump boat if not done it already and TONS of ''im leaving threads'' that obviously provokes a confrontation between the Pre supporters and nay-sayers. Bringing up very valid points on both ends, so im starting a poll on the current stance of the members of the forum when it comes to sticking with Palm regardless of the current issues and limitations till they get their act together, jump ship to another platform (Android, WM, iPhone, Maemo5, etc.) permanently or till the next gen Palm flagship device drops???

Lets get our vote on....
    Last edited by Mike20PR; 11/07/2009 at 12:57 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I voted other. I have a Pre, but bought it from a third party without extending my contract. This allows me to change if I want to, but what I hope happens is Palm/Sprint come out with a Pre2 in the summer, improved over the current from a hardware and software perspective and 4G capable. So, not really looking, just feel better atm as a free agent.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I was so excited when I got my Pre, but within a few months I was being lured in by all the flashy new phones coming out sporting Android. So I made the rounds and played with some phones to see what goodness I'd been missing. Well, apparently I haven't been missing much. This is 100% opinion, so take it as that, but I just really don't care for Android. I guess the grass always seems greener on the other side... Anyhow, now I'm all excited about my Pre all over again.
    One reason not to jump ship is that you often find the new device has some other unadvertised fatal flaw. I've become very skeptical of claims and flashy demos of this or that gimmick.

My beef with Palm is two fold. First, I have memories of the Treo 650 which was extremely unreliable with Palm barely moving to address issues. The Centro was a great improvement over the 650, so I had some hopes when the Pre came out but I'm still weary of the old Palm way of doing things.

Second, some of my frustration with Palm is actually related to Apple, which I see as dumbing down a product category that was very close to fulfilling its potential. The pressure to emulate Apple is great, and Palm's management is full of ex-Apple employees. This could be a good thing, but giving business users the finger and dumbing down is vintage Apple management.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I voted 'other'

I'm interested in WebOS. I just can't justify giving up my favorite treo.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    One reason not to jump ship is that you often find the new device has some other unadvertised fatal flaw. I've become very skeptical of claims and flashy demos of this or that gimmick.
    Of course, you're right. But there are ways to deal with that and make a more informed decision. For example, I went to Best Buy, and bought a new HTC Hero on a new line and played with it for a while before the 30 days was up. At which point, I returned it to Best Buy, got my money back and got rid of the new line with no ETF.

What did I discover from this? That there are things I'd miss from the Pre, but there are *more* things I'd miss from the Hero. Now if only I could convince Sprint to let me switch.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I have a Pre and will stick with WebOS as long as it meets my needs.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I bought a launch day Pre and returned it within a couple days. For a long time I remained content with my LG Lotus (my second best phone next to my old Sammy A900 Blade). Then in September it was time for me to renew my contract so I decided to give the Pre another chance. I've hung on to my second Pre but just purchased a Hero (which hasn't arrived yet) because in my opinion Palm is not delivering the goods and I don't foresee them getting their act together anytime soon. Yes webOS is a great concept, but it's just too half-baked for my tastes. I'm boxing up my Pre, three Touchstones, and all the other stuff I bought from Palm. In a few months I'll reopen the box, update to the latest software version, and make a final decision whether or not to toss everything on eBay.

No phone can be everything to everyone but I've got to tell you - the Pre has turned in to a major letdown for me.

- Tate
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I've checked out the Droid recently and am not impressed. I'm sticking with my Pre and WebOS.
    I'm standing right here in the office at work right now .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I voted "Other" as well for a few reasons.

I'm mostly happy with the platform. It'd be nice to have 3D games, and a literal ***** ton of apps, but then again those things eat away at battery life and power users already have issues keeping the phone running an entire day. I drive hours each day from site to site so for me it's less of an issue but when I have stuck at a single facility for a whole day my pre is blinking at me after just a few hours.

The build quality is going to have to improve. No if, ands, or buts about it. My HTC Touch was reliable as hell and made it through many drops, smashes, etc and kept on ticking. I gave it to my daughter when I got my pre and she still uses it. I have spiderweb cracks in both lower corners and one at the usb port. Sprint says I've caused the damage thus it will have to be replaced via the insurance. Insurance says they cant guarantee I'll get the same device so i might get stuck with a Centro, or (God forbid) a Blackberry.

I love the concept of the device, and for the last 8 years I've loved Sprint as my carrier, but man... Something has got to give here. I fear it'll be my patience with the situation though.
    I just got my Pre and got it activated, but I must say that for all the cool things the device can do, and for how pretty it is, it seems to be missing way too many basic features.

I was trying to download some images directly into it for a wallpaper by searching Pre wallpapers on Google. I couldn't save the images; a web search showed me that the Pre is missing this feature? What the heck...? That's as basic as it gets!

There is also no way to connect to a PC besides the USB port from what I understand unless I get down and dirty downloading a few extra non-Palm apps. There's no simple, factory designed way to use the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to exchange files with a PC, only the crappy USB door which feels extremely flimsy, which is why I got the Touchstone charger as I don't want to be opening that door at all (and the Missing Sync is not an option because it costs $39.95 to get the PC side of it - nice bait and switch; download the Pre side for free and then find out you need to pay for the PC side).

I was also surprised that the email app takes you back to the list of messages when you delete one. Is there a way to have it so when you delete the message it immediately opens up the next one? So you can just keep deleting messages as you go, rather than back to the message list. If that's not there, it's another glaring omission. As it stands, I can only wonder what other missing things I find...
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    I just got my Pre and got it activated, but I must say that for all the cool things the device can do, and for how pretty it is, it seems to be missing way too many basic features.

I was trying to download some images directly into it for a wallpaper by searching Pre wallpapers on Google. I couldn't save the images; a web search showed me that the Pre is missing this feature? What the heck...? That's as basic as it gets!

There is also no way to connect to a PC besides the USB port from what I understand unless I get down and dirty downloading a few extra non-Palm apps. There's no simple, factory designed way to use the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to exchange files with a PC, only the crappy USB door which feels extremely flimsy, which is why I got the Touchstone charger as I don't want to be opening that door at all (and the Missing Sync is not an option because it costs $39.95 to get the PC side of it - nice bait and switch; download the Pre side for free and then find out you need to pay for the PC side).

I was also surprised that the email app takes you back to the list of messages when you delete one. Is there a way to have it so when you delete the message it immediately opens up the next one? So you can just keep deleting messages as you go, rather than back to the message list. If that's not there, it's another glaring omission. As it stands, I can only wonder what other missing things I find...
    you can save images:
    orange + click > copy to photos

to delete emails quickly:
    go to list view and side swipe them off the list
    I bought a Hero for my son and evaluated it for a week.

It was fairly impressive. The Pre has it strengths but there are just far too many things missing from it and Palm's time is running out. They have weeks/months to get this straightned out imo. They are already behind the rest of the market overall and unless they make serious strides within the next 3-5 months, they will be looked over and an afterthought to most.

I will be getting my daughter a phone in January and she likes the Pre (thinks it's cute).
    I will likely give her mine and purchase myself a new phone (possibly a Hero or maybe Moment).

I really liked the Hero. SenseUI is pretty impressive and the Android market makes you really realize what you are missing from Palm's. Also, you can do some pretty impressive things with Android with rooting and custom rom's. It is just a much better phone (build quality, battery life and signal reception) and a MUCH more polished OS that has multitasking as well. Despite having a slower CPU the OS is much more responsive overall.

Hopefully Palm gets there someday. I just can't wait for them much longer. I have already been waiting for 10 months (I was getting a new phone last Feb and decided to wait for the Pre).
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Of course, you're right. But there are ways to deal with that and make a more informed decision. For example, I went to Best Buy, and bought a new HTC Hero on a new line and played with it for a while before the 30 days was up. At which point, I returned it to Best Buy, got my money back and got rid of the new line with no ETF.

What did I discover from this? That there are things I'd miss from the Pre, but there are *more* things I'd miss from the Hero. Now if only I could convince Sprint to let me switch.
    This is my exact same feeling. The more and more I used the Hero, the more I liked it. The Pre is having the opposite effect on me.

BTW: 56% approval rating has to be pretty concerning considering this is a precentral poll. Especially when you consider a good portion of people on precentral are getting more out of thier phones (homebrews, tweaks, etc.) than the average end user.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Pre/WebOS is awesome and I am really excited to see where its going; but, I get bored really easily and I am going to try out the Touch Pro 2 for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    Pre/WebOS is awesome and I am really excited to see where its going; but, I get bored really easily and I am going to try out the Touch Pro 2 for fun.
    Okay. You crapped in every thread about missing features and now it turns out that you don't really care about any webOS features in particular.

I think this applies to a lot here that are just excited or charmed by webOS regardless of any particular needs it serves. Palm may be doing well with this type of user, but it's also the type that will leave for the latest and greatest.
    Last edited by sivan; 11/21/2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Okay. You crapped in every thread about missing features and now it turns out that you don't really care about any webOS features in particular.

I think this applies to a lot here that are just excited or charmed by webOS regardless of any particular needs it serves.
    Let me guess, you use a dictionary with pictures.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Let me guess, you use a dictionary with pictures.

LOL I don't even know what you are talking about brah. I like WebOS. I have my whole life put on this phone and use it exclusively for work and it suits my purpose suberbly. I am going to get the Touch Pro 2 just because I would like to see what it has to offer. IMO they are the best two phones out for me. I already know that I would miss web browsing on the Pre and I am sure that would miss other things; regardless, I am going to get it because I just want to try it out for fun (like I said initally).

edit: the title of this thread is where do you stand on webOS in general.... so i generalized how i felt about it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast