Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I went to the local bestbuy today to get the newest version of the Sprint HTC Hero and I stood in line for over an hour. In that hour I saw over 10 Droids being sold. The Verizon rep was there helping the Best Buy Mobile reps in getting everything up and running. They had 40 units and sold a quarter of them in one hour. This does not even include what verizon is doing. They opened at 6am.

Android is taking over and the buzz is out there. I saw moms and dads 40-50 year old people to teenagers buying the phone, some purchasing 2-3 units at once. I would guess most of them are clueless of the power of android. Android is getting more and more powerful each day.

The 12000 apps available will surely grow rapidly with all these new customers jumping over to android.

Where does this put palm in this game? I think multi task is great but is this going to be enough? The pre is going to verizon and with all the droid buzz I don't see the pre being a heavy hitter. The snapdragon coming to AT&T with a 1ghz processor running android and verizon to get another android phone by the end of the year. That makes 3 for verizon, 2 for sprint, and at&t to get atleast 2.

Oh just to add. I had and issue with my earpiece on my hero and got the newest stock hero with the google branding. This phone is even better than the first one and I thought the first one was terrific. HTC saw the problem and fixed all the issues within 20 days of release. Why hasn't palm done this when they clearly see all the issues with their build quality???
    That kb is crap. Screen is nice but the apps, including the core apps, aren't very polished yet. UI sucks.

Did i mention the screen is nice? It's downhill from there.
    I just wrote a bit about my buddies Droid in this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-phugly-3.html

The Droid is a nice phone.
    It Multitasks... He's playing slacker while looking for skins online to customize his phone or doing other stuff.

Google and HTC and Moto really came together pushing Android and kind of teaming up to build this momentum and come out with solid built feeling phones and playing with 2.0 its nice. they picked a perfect time where the 3GS is out for a while and nothing really new from them at this point. And winmo7 really isnt gonna be out for a while and Pre is really behind in everything and they have an Android in every price point to offer a better packaged phone then the Pre or Pixi. They are gonna give 3GS a good run too.

I think at this point Pre is somewhere in the back of the pack with Storm2. and if Verizon has a hit with Android and Droid and Eris, when they do get Pre, they will stuff it right next to the Storm2 (they really buried the Storm2 IMO... you dont see any push for it).
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That kb is crap. Screen is nice but the apps, including the core apps, aren't very polished yet. UI sucks.

My buddy says the kb will be weird too but we'll see over time.
    The screen is nice! Love glass. the rest of the phone is SOLID, metal and heavy. I like.
    It has a virtual keyboard and he seems to be flying with it.
    UI is subjective but I like what I see so far and he's downloading skins and customizing and looking to have fun. I'm hoping iPhone does a UI refresh soon. It's about time.
    I think it's overkill and too biased toward a big screen at the expense of a good keyboard.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

I think at this point Pre is somewhere in the back of the pack with Storm2. and if Verizon has a hit with Android and Droid and Eris, when they do get Pre, they will stuff it right next to the Storm2 (they really buried the Storm2 IMO... you dont see any push for it).
    I love that avatar...ha ha ha

The pre has really quieted down dramatically. I still have mine but really considering selling it this weekend. I don't think the new updates will do much to build momentum. I mean most people that wanted the phone have already purchased. They might get their numbers up when it hits verizon and maybe at&t. New consumers have so many options now that I don't see why they would choose the phone with less options over the others with all the options out of the box with no waiting. I saw the droid today and have to say it's not the sharpest looking phone to me but the power of google behind it will make it a top seller for sure.

Palm really needs to get their heads out of the sand and wake up. The build issues and software bugs are overwhelming. I have a bunch patches on mine and it still runs slow and even after the 4th pre I still have the oreo affect slightly but not as bad as some people. I thought I would wait to sell the phone after the next update but with no date in sight. I am not left with another option.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Blackberry Storm 2 is definitely being buried. RIM may have finally done it right, but it's a model year too late. Even to they are one of the dominant hardware companies, it's putting a big-time hurt on their stock price. It just goes to show that the market will not necessarily wait even a year for you to get your smartphone right.
    1+ it's more like 6 months. Competition is fierce. Maximizing profit has to be done right away. Hopefully Motorola won't have a long exclusive and maybe the Droid will come to sprint.
    +1 for Sprint Locutus.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Unfortunately for Palm, this is a minority opinion (which doesn't make it less valid, mind you. Just showing that the winds are shifting against them).

Boy Genius Report pretty much hates Palm for some odd reason and buries it every chance they get. PhoneDog now considers the Hero and Droid to be the number two and three smartphones behind the iPhone 3GS. They used to have the Pre at number two. Gizmodo says if you don't buy an iPhone, buy a Droid.

Palm HAS to get another device with an upgraded OS to market before June.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Unfortunately for Palm, this is a minority opinion (which doesn't make it less valid, mind you. Just showing that the winds are shifting against them).

Boy Genius Report pretty much hates Palm for some odd reason and buries it every chance they get. PhoneDog now considers the Hero and Droid to be the number two and three smartphones behind the iPhone 3GS. They used to have the Pre at number two. Gizmodo says if you don't buy an iPhone, buy a Droid.

Palm HAS to get another device with an upgraded OS to market before June.
    I agree. And this has more hype and more legs than Palm could ever give. And though the marketing is a bit geeky, it's not bizarre like Palm's.

Palm not only needs what you suggest but they need to fire the old marketing team and go from scratch. Thing is, there's a reason why people kept saying they don't have room for big mistakes. Palm is going through the cash.

The Droid would be nice without a kb..i'm not a fan of the landscape sliders. JMO. But then again, multitouch helps with virtual kbs which the droid umm..doesn't do.
    Wait, 40 of them and they sold 10 in an hour? Were you by chance at the Pre launch? Sprint definitely sold more than that an hour when I was there, and I went to a smaller store, the flagship store out here had even more customers, people crowding the store all day.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Wait, 40 of them and they sold 10 in an hour? Were you by chance at the Pre launch? Sprint definitely sold more than that an hour when I was there, and I went to a smaller store, the flagship store out here had even more customers, people crowding the store all day.
    I'm guessing you haven't bought a phone at bestbuy before when there busy. They take average 20 minute per customer and there was three people working. This phone is going to crush other phones. Period. Palm is not a player in the game.

Every website has clearly stated who the leaders are. IPhone and Android. With all the sales of the pre at the release, they could have taken advantage with a solid product out the box. They decided to copy the iPhone plan of less is more and its going to proove disastrous. Opinion not fact.
    The Droid is the first phone worth buying from Verizon in years. Of course it will sell. But like Elysian893 said, the Pre launch was the same, moving phones very quickly.

Let's see what kind of momentum it can carry.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    No multi-touch on the droid. I mean, come on its 2009. The keyboard is laughable. The point is that every device out there has a weakness or 2. There is no perfect smart phone. For me the Pre is the most complete package.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm locked in until June and I need to stick with Sprint for cost and corporate discount -- but the Pre and I are falling out of love. And why? I can't make phone calls from my own home, I have to go borrow my husband's Razr to call from my home. And basic phone calls are such a hassle on the Pre --- touchy dialpad, put it to my ear it dials three more digits, pick it up to answer it and disconnect the call (usually my husband who just hates this phone). Who thought I'd miss my rumor?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The Droid is the first phone worth buying from Verizon in years. Of course it will sell. But like Elysian893 said, the Pre launch was the same, moving phones very quickly.

Let's see what kind of momentum it can carry.
    Anybody who thinks that Android will not sustain this momentum is fooling themselves. If anything, Android is only going to accelerate further. This is a good thing.

What remains to be seen is what, if anything, Palm does in response. It doesn't look particularly good right now for WebOS since its two main rivals are far larger companies with an enormous advantage in resources. We'll see what happens.
    No EAS on the Droid. You have to use a separate motorola widget calendar for your Exchange calendar. 2 separate calanders.... Synergy on the Palm is so much better.

No universal inbox for separate gmail accounts.

Did I mention that 99% of the Android 3rd party apps wont run on the Droid until they are re-coded for 2.0? I could go on and on.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No EAS on the Droid. You have to use a separate motorola widget calendar for your Exchange calendar. 2 separate calanders.... Synergy on the Palm is so much better.

No universal inbox for separate gmail accounts.

Did I mention that 99% of the Android 3rd party apps wont run on the Droid until they are re-coded for 2.0? I could go on and on.
    Considering that the Pre's calendar is one of the most widely despised features of WebOS, I'm not sure if I would go around touting that one.

I had a G1 for a while, and using gmail on Android is so far ahead of any other platform it is simply not worth comparing it to anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Anybody who thinks that Android will not sustain this momentum is fooling themselves. If anything, Android is only going to accelerate further. This is a good thing.

What remains to be seen is what, if anything, Palm does in response. It doesn't look particularly good right now for WebOS since its two main rivals are far larger companies with an enormous advantage in resources. We'll see what happens.
    Android has google behind it, but i don't think they do near enough making that known to the masses. If "apple" sells iphones, then "google" would be selling those.

Where you have to be careful in your assumptions though is that the main reason the masses haven't flocked to smartphones is fear of the unknown. The iphone became the success because they marketed well and it's EASY to user.

This reason alone, and if Palm was anywhere near competent at making people aware of what webOS could do, I'd say Palm has good chances.

Also, apple on at&t and Droid on verizon mean squat to Palm for now. Palm's competition is on Sprint and trying to penetrate that carrier's users.
    Sorry for another post. But that is a really nice screen if i haven't mentioned it already. What's great is that this may inspire a new standard for smartphones. I can't see upgrading to another phone without this whether its a Palm, Apple, or whatever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast