Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All.

OK first things first, I bought my first Pda (a Handspring Visor Delux Blue) this same time a year ago.

I've been extremely happy with it, I never leave home with out it.

Unfortunately, its starting to feel its age - and I myself am feeling the need to move to a color device thats faster and has more onboard memory.

My dilema is, id like to go with Handspring again, but with the recent news about them ending their active participation in the PDA market im hesitant to buy a Prism. Currently though I have hardware for my Vdx that id hate to not use (8 meg flash module and stowaway that i just purchased in december).

But, if HS isnt going to support and improve on its PDA's...then im failing to see the sense in buying the Prism.

Currently im looking at the Sony Clie's. Very nice, very nice indeed.

Im not sure which model to buy though if i go that route, either the N750C or the T615C. I already have a standalone mp3 player....is that the only differnce between the two models?

Id be very much grateful for any comments and replies from current Clie users of either models.....i dont have much knowledge of Palm Inc, color devices...any input on relevant models from them would be appreciated too.

I wont get my next income tax return until mid February (income tax return = new pda every year), so I look forward to some replies.

Ill still use my vdx....its an extension to my brain...id be brain dead with out it.

Thanks,
    I'm waiting for the Color Handera to come out. I love my Handera 330 and it compliments my prism greatly. Once it does come out, I'll most likely be forsaking my handspring ways and getting the color handera.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Unique features of N760C:

- Built in MP3 Player and Remote
    - Comes with 8mb Memory Stick
    - Comes with 8mb Internal RAM
    - Hi-Resolution screen (320x320) with VERY good color saturation, but the whites are not so "white" (in other words, great for photos but not so great for text)
    - Battery life is very good for a color device. It lasts about 14-15 hours on the lowest backlight setting and about 6 hours on its highest backlight setting!
    - About the size of a Palm III or your current Visor DX. Plastic casing.

Unique points of the T-615:
    - No built-in MP3 player (but an add-on one exists)
    - Enhanced speaker can play converted MIDI files and WAV files. These can be used as your alarms. It sounds incredible and the volume is really loud.
    - Comes with 16mb Internal RAM! (also memstick expandable)
    - Hi-Resolution screen (320x320) with poor color saturation, but the whites are VERY "white" (in other words, great for text but not so great for photos)
    - Battery life is somewhat lacking. It lasts about 6 hours on the lowest backlight setting.
    - Extremely slim and compact form factor. All aluminum case.
    - T-615 is $50 cheaper (retail price) than the n760c
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Now of course some qualifications have to be made.

- The T-615's lowest backlight setting is about equivalent in brightness to the n760c's highest backlight setting. The screen is arguably the most readable of the color Clie series.

- Also the free 8mb memory stick isn't much of a feature anymore with 128mb memsticks costing only about $50-60 and the 64mb sticks for about $30-40.

- About the color saturation problem on the T-615; this is a little disappointing, BUT it can be overcome. Look for my post called "T-615: colors seem really washed out?" I have tips for overcoming that limitation.

- If durability is an issue, the T-615 comes out way ahead. I was originally going to get a n710c when it first came out but was quite disappointed in the softness of the plastic used in its casing. It scratches quite easily when rubbed with coins or keys.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In conclusion, the T-615 is better than the 760 in everything except for color saturation and battery life. The battery life issue can be QUITE a factor for some people so please consider how much you use your Visor per day currently.

I personlly have not had much of a problem with the battery life - I just cut down on some of my game playing (actually this has been a plus for my productivity! :P)

If battery life is important and size/internal memory/etc is not, consider the n760c. It has about 2.5x the battery life at it's lowest light setting. Even at its medium light setting the battery lasts about 8 hours. If for some reason you are unable to charge your PDA regularly, I think the n760c is excellent for you.

Hope that helped ( I hope I didn't miss anything, though I probably have... ^_^)

-Trotsky

ADDED:

You might want to check out the n610c instead of the n760c. The ONLY differences are that the n610c does not come with a built-in mp3 player or the 8mb memory stick. However you can find it nowadays for about $200-250, but you have to HURRY since they are discontinued.

Check your local CompUSA or BestBuy. After thinking about it, this may be your best bet.
    Last edited by Trotsky; 02/06/2002 at 07:50 PM.
    Since you have a stand alone mp3 player, you don't need it in your PDA.

Go for a N-610 or a T-615.

Handera is another good alternative as well.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys! Esp Trotsky.

I think ill definately pick up a T-615. Im a wicked power user..ive got 16 megs on my vdx right now...and ive only got 1.5 free of it.

Batteries are of lttl concern, as I replace my batteries daily anyway in my vdx (rechargable) and always carry two backup pairs somewhere in my jeep.

Im a High School student, so my pda is very important to my productivity (and show-off-ability )

The N-760 looked appealing due to its color saturation, but if that problem can be somewhat over comed with the T-615...then so be it!

mikedemo - your right, since i have an 80mb standalone mp3 player..the built in mp3 abilities are pointless to me.

Handera eh? anyone got any links to a nice color model so i can take a look at the specs?

Ill let you guys know what my ultimate purchase will be....sadly though...i hate to leave Handspring behind....but they asked for it.

Thanks again
  6.    #6  
    ok..reading the review on cnet for the 615.

whats jog dial ?

and what type of bats does the 615 take..."special" sony battery? or regular/rechargable aaa - oo wait...just answered that on my own...about how long does it take to recharge? does it recharge from the cradle?

cnet also mentions that the scroll button is "Unusable"

Processor is also 2x what my visor has

ok....and is the rom flashable? (please say yes, o please say yes)
  7.    #7  
    sorry...another bash of questions

what about compatability with apps due to the highres on the screen? like tealpaint or silver screen...just progs in general i guess

another thing, someone mentioned the palm m505 to me?

cnet comparisoncnet comparison of m505 and T-615C

the come really close in their specs...except for a few items...m505 only has 8mb on board vs T615C with 16mb (i need the more memory)
    m505 doesnt seem to have any "audio output"..and you mentioned that the T615C had some good audio output

t615c till looking good to me though.....
    I don't think you understand.... Battery life IS an issue. Unlike your Visor DX, all of the new color handhelds (almost all new handhelds actually) do NOT use replaceable batteries.

The m505, n760c, n610c, t615c, ALL use internal rechargeable lithium ion batteries. If the batteries go out in the middle of the day there is NO way to replace them. You MUST charge the PDA in the cradle or use a recharge power cable.

So it doesn't matter how many sets of batteries you carry around with you since you won't be able to use them.

-Trotsky
  9.    #9  
    Yes I know that now, ive been reading alot in the past hour.

In your experience, under heavy and/or normal use - how long have your batteries lasted?

whats the shortest time they have ever died on you?

im so excited guys...the T615C looks like the pda for me...and i really appreciate all your comments and help.
    Please note that there were "emergency" chargers available for the Prisms that were essentially AA battery packs that you clipped onto the hotsync port to recharge when you needed.

They, in essence, almost made the Prism powerable by AA's (I kept mine and a spare 4pack of AA NiMH with me when away from my 'puter for extended periods).

If they're not already in the works (or released, depending on your model), I'm sure something like this will be available for the newer devices. The downside being that they're another thing you have to carry along with you.
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    Originally posted by mavr1k west
    [...] Handera eh? anyone got any links to a nice color model so i can take a look at the specs? [...]
    They don't make a color model yet. I'm beginning to wonder considering PalmSource's timeframe for OS5, though, if Handera's not going to wait until summer and try to be one of the first out of the gate with it. I would think if anyone could engineer a killer OS5 machine it would be Handera.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    In your experience, under heavy and/or normal use - how long have your batteries lasted?
    That's a really subjective question, so I don't know how much use my answer will be... but here it is:

Most days, it's 1 hour of AvantGo use and 1/2 hour of Datebk4/WordSmith/HandyShopper (don't ask ) use, all with the backlight on at the highest setting. Battery power is usually at 90% full when I get home.

Days when I'm demoing the Clie to friends at work, it can get as low as 70-80%. I was walking a friend with a T415C through memory stick operations for an hour, and the T615C was down to 60% by the time I got home.

I don't play games much -- I suspect that (and memory stick operations) tend to take up more power.

----

There's also another thread at VC on this subject you might want to take a look at. However, I've yet to see a better, more concise N760 vs T615 summary than Trotsky's. That's a beaut -- I'd use that as your major signpost for what to get.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  13.    #13  
    Thanks, i am using his post as what im basing the majority of my descion on.

I probably should give you a more detailed description of what i do now on my visor.

Im a Junior in high school, so it gets alot of use during a school day.

First thing in the morning during english class while the teacher lectures i spend around 30-45 mins reading avant go, then maybe 5-15 mins of some game (at the moment, Ackeron)

Then, during my next class, i play a game through out the entire class (Ackeron or some card game that doesnt require constant attention).

During the next class (Pre-Calc), I use PowerOne Graph and play just a little bit of some games.

And of course, I take my notes in Wordsmith, and keep track of my assignments in ThinkDB.

Its a pretty heavy drain on my Visor's AAA batteries...usually down to 30% by the end of the day, but keep in mind my rechargables only charge up to about 77% anyway.

Is there a seperate portable power cord that I can purchase for the Clie? (or does it come with one i can lug around) Because I do have several times during the day when I can plug it in and leave it alone for about 45 mins.

With all the information you guys have provided me, I think I will be making a trip down to Staples, or Best Buy to purchase a T615 this weekend. Any particular accessories that you recommend I pick up with it?

Thank you very much guys, I highly appreciate your posts and replies.
    I probably should give you a more detailed description of what i do now on my visor...
    Y'know, as someone who had a Visor VDX with rechargable NiMH batteries, I'd say you're REALLY using a lot of juice on your PDA. Compared to me, anyway -- it used to take me, at minimum, 5 days to have to put in new batteries (and that was with AfterBurner setting the clock speed to 28/32Mhz).

Given that, and given that my use of my T615C is equivalent to what I did with my VDX, I think battery life is going to be an issue with you if you get the T615C.

There is an accessory from Sony -- a portable battery charger for $28. I don't know how easy it is for you to plug the Clie in at school for 15 minutes.

BTW, regarding playing games in class -- the speaker for the T615C is pretty loud. You may want to experiment with it a bit first.
    Jeff Meyer

15.    #15  
    Thanks, yes...i do go a bit heavy on my vdx ;-)

But I will definately purchase that accessory that you mentioned when I buy the T615.

Im really looking forward to it, as for the recharging at school, I have senior privledge anytime of the day I want (and im only a Junior), which means I could easily run down to the Tech Office when my battery gets low, plug it in and go back and get it later on during the day.

About how long (Typically) does it take you to charge the battery for its first charge?
    I just thought of a question, is there a stowaway keyboard for the T615? I remember reading that the T series uses a different form factor then all the others.
    Last edited by The Rambler; 02/08/2002 at 11:11 AM.
    Son mis dos centados!
    About how long (Typically) does it take you to charge the battery for its first charge?
    I just brought it home, plugged it in, and let it charge overnight. After reading several articles on the importance of charging it to full capacity after buying it, I was careful about this.

Thought it showed great self-control on my part.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by The Rambler
    I just thought of a question, is there a stowaway keyboard for the T615? I remember reading that the T series uses a different form factor then all the others.
    Absolutely correct -- the current Clie Stowaway keyboards only work for the N (and maybe S) series, not the T-series.

PalmInfoCenter said that ThinkOutside is planning to release one for the T-series near the end of the 2nd quarter, but I haven't seen anything official yet. Others have said ThinkOutside is waiting to "see what happens".

I loved my Stowaway for the VDX; I plan to buy one without any hesitation for the T-series as soon as it's available.
    Jeff Meyer

19.    #19  
    Originally posted by bookrats

I just brought it home, plugged it in, and let it charge overnight. After reading several articles on the importance of charging it to full capacity after buying it, I was careful about this.

Thought it showed great self-control on my part.
    oh yea, i think thats going to be the hardest part about buying the Clie.....im not sure if i have enough self-control to let it charge all the way ....hahaha....cant I just turn it on while its charging?

Anyway, as for the Stoway, im really sad that there isnt one for the T series, so, i think ill still carry around my vdx as well for my notes and stuff...and just beam em to the Clie after im done typing.
    Anyway, as for the Stoway, im really sad that there isnt one for the T series, so, i think ill still carry around my vdx as well for my notes and stuff...and just beam em to the Clie after im done typing.
    That'll definitely work.

Oh, I got a fast (and extremely friendly and pleasant) e-mail from Think Outside this morning re: the T-Series Stowaway. They said that they are "looking into a solution [for the T-series Clies] and making plans to support this product in the future."

They also put me on a mailing list, to let me know when it makes it out. If I hear something, I'll post it to VC.
    Jeff Meyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast