1.    #1  
    Folks,
    I'm evaluating whether to get the MemPlugMS for my VDx,
    or bite the bullet and get a Sony.

It appears the main difference between the N760C and the
    T615C is the MP3 player in the 760. I understand that the
    MP3 player may be added on to the T615C. Is that correct?
    If so, would this then make both of these units basically the
    same?

Finally, what is the meaning behind Sony's N,T, and S designators
    in the various lines, and what limitations does each line have
    relative to the others?

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry
    Originally posted by jmahone
    It appears the main difference between the N760C and the
    T615C is the MP3 player in the 760. I understand that the
    MP3 player may be added on to the T615C. Is that correct?
    If so, would this then make both of these units basically the
    same?
    Other main difference is that the T-615C has 16MB of memory; N760C has 8 MB (but, I believe, still comes with a free 8MB memory stick.) And, of course, the form factor.

T-series also has vibrating alarm and expanded alarm sound capability, and the ability to work as a universal remote control. (All sort of gadgetty extras.)

Finally, what is the meaning behind Sony's N,T, and S designators
    in the various lines, and what limitations does each line have
    relative to the others?
    In general, the S series is the cheaper, B&W (greyscale, actually) models; the N Series is color + MP3; T-Series is the new Visor-Edge-like form factor.

For the most part, the N and S series (I believe) share the same type of serial port, which means that accessories (like keyboards) that are built for one work for the other. The T-Series has a different type of serial port, so serial-port accessories built for the N or S series won't work with the T-series Clies.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Another difference has to do with the add on MP3 player for the T615. Because it uses the serial port, you cannot do anything else while listening to music. With the built in MP3 on the N760, you can listen to music AND check the datebook, address book, etc.

There are differences in the brilliance of the colors and the form factors that you really need to check out for yourself. The T series is obviously a smaller form factor but someone else on here said they felt the beveled edge of the N series was more comfortable in the hand.

I really do not like the buttons on my N series and they seem to be better on the T series but I hate the T series' up and down scroll toggle switch!

You gotta check them out for yourself and decide. Different strokes for different folks.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Isn't there a screen difference between the 760 & 615? There were some side by side comparison's between the 2 and doesn't the 615 have some red & blue colors being washed out a little, but the whites are more, well, white on the 615?

IMO, it comes down to, do you want built in MP3 or 16MB of RAM (internal)...for me I bought a 128MB MS for $60.00, + with a flash ROM utility, I can get my 760C up to about 10MB or internal memory + the 128MB of MS memory, that was good enough for me.

I would expect the 760C to go up to 16MB of internal RAM soon...doesn't every one else think so as well?
    Originally posted by dorelse
    Isn't there a screen difference between the 760 & 615? There were some side by side comparison's between the 2 and doesn't the 615 have some red & blue colors being washed out a little, but the whites are more, well, white on the 615?
    Yes, but as maddog says, you really have to compare them in person. It generally comes down (I think) to: N760: brighter red -> more accurate photo display / T615C: sharper/better constrast -> better readability for text. That's a simplification -- you need to compare in person, or via photos on the web.

I would expect the 760C to go up to 16MB of internal RAM soon...doesn't every one else think so as well?
    Actually, I don't. It's a possibility, but Sony is quicker than most companies in getting a model out there, and then abandoning it for the Next Thing.

According to the report from PalmSource, the "next thing" appears to be a very thin clamshell Clie with a keyboard. Not my thing, so I'm glad I've got a T615C.
    Jeff Meyer

Well, while I agree that new device looks promising...it won't be out tomorrow...probably OS5, unless it was just a form factor prototype...which is highly possible.

I was just thinking that at the rate Sony's been shoving new Clie's out, that a 16MB upgrade would only be natural to sustain their marketshare growth until OS5. After all OS5 won't be ready for sale until what late summer right? Sony could push out a couple new Clie's before then...doesn't matter to me, I love my 760C...but Sony will need to keep pushing to keep their momentum...that's all I was thinking.
    For comparing the T615C to the N760C, I'd recommend looking at a response Trotsky wrote up on a separate VC thread.

It's the best, most concise point-by-point comparison of the two models I've seen yet.
    Jeff Meyer

The 760 also has longer battery life than the 615, don't forget that.

As for adding MP3 capability to the 615, in addition to not being able to have it do background play it also does not have a hold button. That means you can't turn off the screen while listening to MP3s, the best you can do is turn off the backlight. Another downfall is that because the adapter uses the USB port, you can't charge the device while listening to music. So If you really want MP3 its probably better to either get the 760 or the 615 and a standalone player.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    Yes; in fact, I'd argue that that's become the Achilles Heel (i.e., weakest link) of the T615C -- at least compared to the N760C.

I've heard it argued that the battery life is approximately equivalent to the m505, but I can't speak to that.
    Jeff Meyer

Actually, with the backlight on the m505 gets a bit more than 1 hour more life than the T-615 on the lowest backlight setting.

However keep in mind that the T-615 on its lowest backlight setting is STILL brighter than the m505 with its non-adjustable light on.

-Trotsky

As for adding MP3 capability to the 615, in addition to not being able to have it do background play it also does not have a hold button. That means you can't turn off the screen while listening to MP3s, the best you can do is turn off the backlight. Another downfall is that because the adapter uses the USB port, you can't charge the device while listening to music. So If you really want MP3 its probably better to either get the 760 or the 615 and a standalone player.
    In regards to Charging the CLIE and listening to music, Sony has the following warning in the Read Me First Manual:

Page 22 | Section NOTES | Bullet Two:

Do not connect the headphones jack on your CLIE handheld with the LINE input connector while your CLIE handheld is being charged.

Are they saying not to charge the CLIE and have HeadPhones plugged in at the same time? That is how I took it initially, but now questions exactly what they are saying.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    . . . So If you really want MP3 its probably better to either get the 760 or the 615 and a standalone player.

Enter the i-Pod.

PS: Your avatar? any relation to Mojo jojo?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    PS: Your avatar? any relation to Mojo jojo?
    Ganja Jojo?

Or maybe Curious George Tries Silk Cuts.
    Jeff Meyer