1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I am with V and soon I will have a choice between Droid or pre. I woudl like some input from all of you, thanks and take care, Jay

PS I am now using my 4 palm product.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Simple: Droid.

Pre will not be as appealing on Verizon because it has no nfl, nav and tv apps but you will be getting free google nav with droid. And the big seller for me if I went over there is the hardware. Just so much better.

Also, Android 2.0 is on the Moto Droid which is way more developed than WebOS right now. Read some reviews on the Droid and see what you think of it. Gizmodo has both a phone review and and an 2.0 review which I find useful. Good luck in deciding.
    The Pre. Contrary to the first poster saying it won't have Nav. Verizon will make sure it makes use of the GPS Chip. Google said it is bringing its Google Nav to all smartphones with GPS and the google maps app. So it will also be available on the Pre. Android 2.0 is slightly more developed than WebOS 1.2.1 but not by much. By the time WebOS hits Verizon it will be 1.4 or 1.5 and will have a lot of new features/speed improvements. I am also confident it will release on Verizon with a 16 GB model. WebOS is growing so much faster than Android. Maybe not in user base (though the network is stifling that growth) but in development of the OS. Android recieved 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0 over the course of 13 months and these are fairly small updates adding only a little bit of new functionality/features. WebOS on the other hand only out about 5 months has added 6 updates with a 7th on the way and 2 of which added over 75 new features/improvements. In 1 year can you imagine?! Another big problem with Android is older devices begin to not end up being supported. Even though Android 2.0 is cool now the G1 isn't getting it and niether is the MyTouch. Not only that but every phone has a different version. The hero has 1.5 Mytouch/G1 have 1.6 Droid has 2.0 Eris has 1.5.... so you don't even know if yours will stay up to date or not without hacking/rooting/finding a way to add it yourself. Plus WebOS multitasking is so much better than Android multitasking which sometimes the cache fails on Android has it has to reload apps which is a pain...
    My only question is....in what ways has Verizon handicapped the Droid phone and in what ways would they handicap the PRE?

One reason why I dont like Verizon....they deliberately disable things in smartphones so the consumer has to use Verizon's product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post
    The Pre. Contrary to the first poster saying it won't have Nav. Verizon will make sure it makes use of the GPS Chip. Google said it is bringing its Google Nav to all smartphones with GPS and the google maps app. So it will also be available on the Pre. Android 2.0 is slightly more developed than WebOS 1.2.1 but not by much. By the time WebOS hits Verizon it will be 1.4 or 1.5 and will have a lot of new features/speed improvements. I am also confident it will release on Verizon with a 16 GB model. WebOS is growing so much faster than Android. Maybe not in user base (though the network is stifling that growth) but in development of the OS. Android recieved 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0 over the course of 13 months and these are fairly small updates adding only a little bit of new functionality/features. WebOS on the other hand only out about 5 months has added 6 updates with a 7th on the way and 2 of which added over 75 new features/improvements. In 1 year can you imagine?! Another big problem with Android is older devices begin to not end up being supported. Even though Android 2.0 is cool now the G1 isn't getting it and niether is the MyTouch. Not only that but every phone has a different version. The hero has 1.5 Mytouch/G1 have 1.6 Droid has 2.0 Eris has 1.5.... so you don't even know if yours will stay up to date or not without hacking/rooting/finding a way to add it yourself. Plus WebOS multitasking is so much better than Android multitasking which sometimes the cache fails on Android has it has to reload apps which is a pain...
    TRANSLATION: Choose the future, speculative, made-up-capability/specs Pre over the existing, already better Android phones.

...And hurry, before Palm goes out of business.
  6.    #7  
    Thanks & btt!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's too far away to choose. There's no Pre on V til we see it but even then I can't see buying a 7 months old + device that wouldn't be updated on that carrier for another year or so. Droid is an easy choice right now on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's too far away to choose. There's no Pre on V til we see it but even then I can't see buying a 7 months old + device that wouldn't be updated on that carrier for another year or so. Droid is an easy choice right now on Verizon.
    Yeah, there's no question. Droid...because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

You wanna wait on a Pre that'll come at...some point to Verizon that might have some of the current issues fixed, might have some updated specs and won't have free GPS out of the box...have at it. Waste of time and money.

Though I will say I played with a dummy Droid at Best Buy today, and I really, really, REALLY hope the real keyboard is better than what was on display. If that's what you get out the box, then I think the reviews haven't been harsh enough on what Motorola calls a hardware QWERTY.

Even with that problem, I'm sure it has a better cell radio than the atrocious one in the Pre. If you're going to pay all that money for Verizon service, you damn well better have a phone that can access that mighty network at full strength at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    My only question is....in what ways has Verizon handicapped the Droid phone and in what ways would they handicap the PRE?

One reason why I dont like Verizon....they deliberately disable things in smartphones so the consumer has to use Verizon's product.
    just like there is still the black cloud over Sprint's customer service, there is still this in regards to Verizon.

they haven't crippled their smartphones for years now, and they haven't laid a finger on the Droid. the only thing i can think of that is missing from is is multi-touch, but that may be more of a political move with Apple.
  10.    #11  
    The talk online is that the V version of the Pre, is only a few months away. It also looks as is V is going to charge you, for changing phones before your contract ends. Which means I will be stuck with the Droid phone, for at least a year! I will just wait until the Pre come out, (whichis likely to be the
    1st 1/4 of 2010. In terms of changing companies to get a better deal, I had Sprint for years and I got sick of their crudy serive in terms of spotty coverage in my area. (Sprint does not work in my house, no matter what phone you have). Before that I had At & T, which customer service is worse than Sprint's and that takes a lot to be worse than Sprints. V works in most rooms of my home. In addition my wonderful and fantasic g/f, (I thank G-D at least 200 times a day, for us meeting each other), works at Costco. We get a HUGE % off on all of our phones.

line 1 my g/f
    line 2 mine
    line 3 My Mother's
    line 4 my g/f's Mother
    line 5 my g/f's Father.

The discount is so steep that it is only $50 for both my Centro & my Mom's phone!
  11.    #12  
    I did forget one other thing. Cosnsumer reports states that smart phone based GPS "units with turn by turn directions are not nearly as good, as stand alone units". Since I have perhaps the world's worset sense of direction, I will continue to use my Garmin. So for me, a GPS turn by turn unit is not really an issue!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    the only thing i can think of that is missing from is is multi-touch, but that may be more of a political move with Apple.
    Phone has support but doesn't make use of it.. YET.

Verizon's Droid Points Out the Importance of Pinching - PC World
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I had Sprint for years and I got sick of their crudy serive in terms of spotty coverage in my area. (Sprint does not work in my house, no matter what phone you have). Before that I had At & T, which customer service is worse than Sprint's and that takes a lot to be worse than Sprints. V works in most rooms of my home.
    If coverage in your house is what matters to you, Sprint has the Airave. It installs a mini-cell tower in your house - called a femtocell. My coverage at home is now perfect because of the Airave. I even got Sprint to wave the monthly fee b/c the coverage at my house was so bad. Verizon has a femtocell, too.

My point is that if you're tempted to get the Pre, and you like Sprint's prices, and the only thing holding you back is coverage at your house, there's a way to fix that.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  14.    #15  
    I did just find this on the web, please read to the end:

The Droid you should be looking for
    A Consumer Tech Motorola Droid Review

Updated: Thursday, 05 Nov 2009, 2:22 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 05 Nov 2009, 10:25 AM EST

* By Matt Schuler, Technology Columnist

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (LIN) - At the outset, you should know that this is an in-depth review. I tried to cram as much information about the Droid as possible. I've bolded each section where there's a change in topic.

Verizon Wireless is widely regarded as having one of the best networks in the United States. In a recently launched series of commercials touting their network, Verizon was not shy about saying their network was the best . The Droid was announced with the "iDon't" commercial series , taking direct aim at competitor AT&T and the device exclusive to its network, the ubiquitous Apple iPhone. Credit the ad department, because another great commercial was yet to come. Stealth let everyone know the drop date for the Droid would be Friday, November 6th.

Forgive the Star Wars reference in the headline, but I saw this picture and had to share it. Credit to Stefan , who has a great series going on there that you should check out.

But back to the point, this is definitely the Droid you should be looking for. Forget R2 and C3, the Motorola Droid is the one. This is the most complete phone that I've seen since the iPhone. The Droid is by no means perfect, but it comes as close as any phone ever has to the "WOW!" factor that the iPhone gave me. I made a habit of telling my friends and coworkers that were Verizon customers that the Palm Pre was the device that they should be salivating over. As a Sprint user myself (I know some of you are gasping, but it's worked for me), I wrote a review of the device that I owned, and recommended the Palm Pre with great zeal.

I'm not telling my friends to wait anymore. There's a better device at their disposal, the Motorola Droid. It even had a few surprises packed inside.
    I know this is a rather old topic - but I would go with the iPhone in June on Verizon
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtalhelm View Post
    I know this is a rather old topic - but I would go with the iPhone in June on Verizon
    Thanks but not a chance, no way I would EVER get an Iphone! I am keyboard kind of guy! I also do not like the fact that you cannot multi task.