1.    #1  
    Having been dissatisfied with my Palm Pre, I went to Best Buy and purchased an HTC Hero in order to test drive it. And I liked it. My intention, after test driving it for a week, was to go back to Best Buy & return it. Then go to Sprint to brow beat them into letting me swap my Pre for a Hero.

The plan worked great up until the last part. Despite having read of other people's success in doing so, Sprint would not let me swap the Pre for anything except a Pre. They acknowledged that all 4 of the Pre's that I had had problems. But they wouldn't let me switch.

They suggested that I call customer services. I'll try that, but I'm not willing to lie in order to get a new phone. And I suspect that they'll ask me (as they have before) if I'm willing to leave over it.

I guess I'll just live with the Pre until June 5 when my premier status will let me upgrade. Maybe 1.3.1 will make improvements.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I think lying in this situation is exceptable if you have had four bad phones and Sprint is jerking them along.
    I tried all of this, the Sprint store told me basically what they told you, and retentions can't do anything for anyone anymore, they said it's up to the stores own discretion. The store's shift manager told me to get this replacement Pre I have now, see if it works out, and if not, come back in the morning during the week and speak with the store manager, and see if he was willing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    H

They suggested that I call customer services. I'll try that, but I'm not willing to lie in order to get a new phone. And I suspect that they'll ask me (as they have before) if I'm willing to leave over it.

I guess I'll just live with the Pre until June 5 when my premier status will let me upgrade. Maybe 1.3.1 will make improvements.
    It's sucks your getting hard pressed by Sprint, but I commend you for not being dishonest.
    Customer dishonesty (lying) is only going to make things worse for all of us in the end. If your customers are trying to steal from you you're going to create more restrictive policies.

Buying a first gen device is always risky (same with automobiles generally). Sprint never made any promises about device swapping to different models and their 30 day return is one of the best in the business.

mclldavidson...go put your nose in the corner and count to 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    I think lying in this situation is exceptable if you have had four bad phones and Sprint is jerking them along.
    I do think it's very unfair of them to stick you with another Pre since you had multiple problems.

I think maybe speaking to a supervisor or someone in higher management may be in order. That's unacceptable IMO. Of course it would also help if they wouldn't keep handing you lemon replacements. I can see why you want to try another model after that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Customer dishonesty (lying) is only going to make things worse for all of us in the end. If your customers are trying to steal from you you're going to create more restrictive policies.

Buying a first gen device is always risky (same with automobiles generally). Sprint never made any promises about device swapping to different models and their 30 day return is one of the best in the business.

Lol Thats the 1st time I have seen somebody sent to time-out on here
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Buying a first gen device is always risky
    Agreed. Maybe that's the price of being an early adopter.
    Sprint never made any promises about device swapping to different models and their 30 day return is one of the best in the business.
    True. But sometimes it takes longer than 30 days to determine if the device is going to be a success. Of course, there's a lesson in this: being on the cutting edge does sometimes result in bleeding. I think I bought too much into:
    1. The fact that the iPhone had been a fantastic success
    2. The hype that the Pre was a legit iPhone competitor
    3. The reviews that suggested the hype was real

Lesson learned. I won't be doing that again.
    LOL!
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Hero. I have an Iphone 3GS, Pre and had the Hero also. The hero had some nice things going for it like widgets, but the overall lag on the phone kills any of the nice things. Iphone and Pre both have superior browsers and speed which made me drop the Hero. I just couldnt take the slowness of the Hero.
    The widgets are cool but that factor wears off quick.
    Too bad for the OP. The Pre is the worst of it, the Hero, and the iPhone 3gs. Maybe Palm will actually fix the bugs and get it up to spec before your contract ends.

Even in its current half-baked state, it is in the top four Sprint smartphones.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Hero. I have an Iphone 3GS, Pre and had the Hero also. The hero had some nice things going for it like widgets, but the overall lag on the phone kills any of the nice things. Iphone and Pre both have superior browsers and speed which made me drop the Hero. I just couldnt take the slowness of the Hero.
    The widgets are cool but that factor wears off quick.
    Thanks for your opinion. But in my testing the Hero lagged less than the Pre and more than the iPhone. There are a number of tradeoffs that I found with the Pre & Hero, but lagginess wasn't one of them.

I agree that the Pre's browser performs much better than the Hero's browser. But I think android on the Hero is overall less laggy than WebOS on the Pre.

YMMV.
    Thanks for your opinion. But in my testing the Hero lagged less than the Pre and more than the iPhone. There are a number of tradeoffs that I found with the Pre & Hero, but lagginess wasn't one of them.

I agree that the Pre's browser performs much better than the Hero's browser. But I think android on the Hero is overall less laggy than WebOS on the Pre.

YMMV.
    Try adding a bunch of widgets to the Hero and then get back to me on the lag.
  13.    #13  
    Sure. If you overburden the processor, you should expect poor performance. As for me I kept mostly program links on the home page. The widgets that I ran were:
    • Clock
    • Pandora
    • Handcent SMS
    • WIFI on/off
    • Silence on/off
    • Vibrate on/off
    • People
    • Calendar (month view)
    • Google search

The rest were Program links.
    I've had a Hero coming from the Pre since 10/11 and it doesn't lag at all. In fact my Pre used to lag a lot more than my Hero ever does. Also sometimes when my Hero is slightly slower it's because it's actually doing stuff in the background which makes sense like downloading podcasts, downloading apps, uploading photos, etc. Overall I can never have a phone without HTC Sense or at least widgets.

They are a game changer. I can now just turn on my Hero and the clock/weather widget on my Hero will tell me the current weather (forecast for that day) WHEREVER I am...this is amazing when you travel. I find widgets so useful I don't even have to launch most apps nowadays when I'm just consuming info. All new apps coming out (many existing ones) come with widgets too.

Everyone's entitled to their opinon but I had a Pre since it's launch and now Hero since it's launch. I'm 1000x happier with the Hero than I was with the Pre...partly because Android is coming of age. Photoshop Mobile was just released on Android today as was Slacker earlier. Tons of apps are coming. I'm loving it
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    ok... did it.

wheres the lag?

you fail
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination

YMMV.
    only until the update that's coming in like a week or so . If speed is what's in the next update that is!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    only until the update that's coming in like a week or so . If speed is what's in the next update that is!
    There's no way to distinguish between plausible rumor, wild speculation, and reality. Only when the release is out will we know how much performance improvement there will be, if any. I certainly hope the rumors are correct that GPU support is coming. And I further hope that GPU support will improve the lagginess issues. But to quote philosopher and renaissance man Jayne Cobb, "I smell a lot if coming off this plan".