View Poll Results: Do you want a scroll wheel on the next Pre?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please, can I have some more!

15 39.47%
  • Don't know yet?

5 13.16%
  • NO! I hate scroll wheels because I'm a dirt bag :-(

18 47.37%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I agree with @likeobama. It is way harder than it could have been. I too often feel that I'm flipping a coin as to whether or not I'm going to get the cursor where I want it. I've had a Pre since release day and I have not gotten used to it, despite moderate -> heavy daily use.

Frankly, I find a lot of the Pre's gestures to be better describes as "guesstures" in that you've got a fairly high probability that your guess at where you were supposed to execute that thing was wrong. The ones that work well are the onscreen swipe up (e.g. to close a card) and the side to side swipe (to switch apps in card view or switch days in the calendar). But I'm extremely frustrated with the menu, back, & cursor position gestures. They have a frustratingly high error rate.
    just remember half swipe to go back ,its really not hard to have a 99 % success rate in doing this lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Screw that. I effing hate trackballs. The single biggest thing I hate about the majority of blackberrys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    just remember half swipe to go back ,its really not hard to have a 99 % success rate in doing this lol
    I know about the half swipe. It's primarily what I use. And while my success rate is certainly better than the stupid !@#$ menu guessture, it's not 99%. And compared to a dedicated menu and back button, even 1% error rate is ridiculously high, IMHO.

That said, I have to concede that part of the problem may not be the success/error rate of executing the gesture. It may be that WebOS is too slow to handle it. There are plenty of times where I'll tap on the phone, the OS will acknowledge the tap by showing the ripple effect, but the action associated with the tap won't happen. I wonder how much of my error rate with other gestures is really not an error in executing the gesture, but rather that WebOS is just to slow. Perhaps enabling the GPU will free up the CPU enough to dramatically improve the gesture success rate.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    oh shhhht i didnt know about the hold SHIFT (orange)+ DRAG.. it works like a charm. THis gave me hope on the Palm.
    Is this new? or im just stupid
    a track ball would be HEAVEN I enjoy the center button because I don't go into card view by mistake. It would make scrolling an ease because rt now it below par. In addition everyone has failed to realize that these touch sensitive devices are winter nightmares. A trackball means I can use it during the winter with my gloves on. I hate feeling helpless during the winter with my itouch. The ideal track ball would be the same as the current center button mayb just rubber or something grippy. Ppl who don't like trackballs just don't use it
    i SEE HIS POINT AND AGREE I MISS THE 5 WAY BUTTON FROM MY TREO A LOT. I COULD NAVIGATE THE ENTIRE PHONE WITH ONE BUTTON. A TRACKBALL WOULD BE A NICE UPGRADE.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I disagree for myself and I'm pretty sure whenever that WebOS version of Docstogo comes out others will agree and realize editing text on a Pre is not as easy as it could have been. I mean you basically have to pray that you tap the right portion of a word or sentence for your editing needs. I immediately realized this coming from a Centro.

Its not a huge issue but to me its something I have noticed on daily basis. I mean I would have been cool with a mini directional key on the keyboard if Palm knew a slick way to implement it.

That's what I'm saying. What does that center button really do? Nothing serious. You click it to get out of apps but it would be a whole lot more useful if it doubled as a scroll wheel making the Pre have the best of both worlds. I find it strange more people don't think so.
    I couldn't agree more. I get so frustrated at times trying to copy/paste or edit text with accraucy...
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I know about the half swipe. It's primarily what I use. And while my success rate is certainly better than the stupid !@#$ menu guessture, it's not 99%. And compared to a dedicated menu and back button, even 1% error rate is ridiculously high, IMHO.

That said, I have to concede that part of the problem may not be the success/error rate of executing the gesture. It may be that WebOS is too slow to handle it. There are plenty of times where I'll tap on the phone, the OS will acknowledge the tap by showing the ripple effect, but the action associated with the tap won't happen. I wonder how much of my error rate with other gestures is really not an error in executing the gesture, but rather that WebOS is just to slow. Perhaps enabling the GPU will free up the CPU enough to dramatically improve the gesture success rate.
    I agreee with this also. People complain about lag on other phones when compared to the Pre. I'm not sure what phones they are using but the Pre is right up there with any phone I have ever owned with regards to lagging at times. I have been using smartphones for at least 6-7 years.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12