Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've been a happy Pre owner for several months now. Sure there are some things that need improvement (slight lag, a real music player; music player remix is the fix, true email search, more advanced sound profiles, etc.), but all and all it's an amazing device that I have loved.

But that didn't stop my curiosity with the Android based HTC Hero. So I bought a used one off of eBay, thinking that if I didn't like it I could always resell it. Well, let me be of service to those that also have this curiosity: don't waste your time! In my opinion the Pre is the superior phone of the two and I won't hesitate to sell the Hero and keep the Pre.

Here are my reasons.

1.) Physical keyboard. I used to own an iPhone too before moving to Sprint, and since I've used a Blackberry I have sworn that I'll never go back to a virtual keyboard. The Hero did little to change my mind. The Pre's hardware keyboard is far and away the way to be. I can bang out texts and emails much faster. It's also so much nicer having the full real estate of the screen while you type on the Pre, where as the stupid virtual keyboard of the Hero covers so much of the screen as you type. This is a huge thing.

2.) Aesthetics. Sure this is subjective, but the Pre's interface is far prettier and aesthetically pleasing than Android's. The Hero uses Android 1.5, but it really makes me feel like I'm just using a glorified Windows mobile device. The menus are these ugly black and white list menus. The Pre's custom made font is much more appealing than the Hero's font, which in some circumstances doesn't even appear to be anti-aliased (cleartype).

3.) Gestures and Navigation. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, but I wasn't comfortable with navigating the Hero. I feel like the Pre does a tremendous job minimizing the number of hardware buttons you need to press to navigate your phone. I love the gestures (and feel there's potential to add many more gesture based commands and navigation), and the use of the touch screen to navigate is well done.

4.) Community. Between homebrewn apps and the amount of patches available for the Pre, there's a real "underground" following that cannot be beat. With webos-internals and precentral, there will never be a shortage of community driven ingenuity and progression.

5.) Multitasking. This isn't a big one, but I really do think the use of the cards and multitasking on the Pre is rather creative and borderline ingenious. Some people may prefer the "behind-the-scenes" task management of Android, but you cannot deny that it's far more convenient with the cards to see your active apps and to switch between one and the other. It's annoying to have to go to some task manager or "re-open" the apps on the Android. All and all, this is just one example of the creativity of WebOS which I believe to be superior.

Sure the Hero has widgets. But at least for me this isn't too big. Again, it appears to be a glorified Windows Mobile today screen. That does little to make up for its other shortcomings compared to the Pre. It's also worth mentioning that the Pre also has a flash for taking pictures in the dark which came in handy on Halloween night.

The reality is, both webOS and Android are in their infancy. They will only get better, but with webOS having the clear head start, I'm sticking with the Pre for the long haul....that is unless Android makes a huge leap over webOS in the future.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    webos having a clear head start over Android? what?

if you don't actually know anything about the devices you are comparing then the 'comparison' becomes worthless
    Thanks for the report. I've not used an Android device in person, but all the videos I've seen really do look like a gussied up Windows Mobile. And I'm just not sure what's so great about widgets vs. full blown apps, considering that WebOS makes every app so easily accessible. And, there's already at least one "home page" app for WebOS that provides widget-like functionality, and I'm sure that could be expanded, for those who just have to have their widget fix.

You also reminded me of the gesture area as a unique WebOS feature. It seems simplistic on its face, but that along with the physical keyboard really does allow full and largely unobstructed use of the Pre's screen. It's one of the "little" things about the Pre that's become so second nature and that I miss immediately when I try another device (e.g., a coworker's iPhone).

Thanks for the report!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post

if you don't actually know anything about the devices you are comparing then the 'comparison' becomes worthless
    Perhaps he meant "head start" in terms of functionality, etc., and not in terms of timing?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post

Well I own both devices, so I'd hope that qualifies as knowing something about the two devices. For the reasons I stated and others, I feel webOS is superior to Android in their current versions. I enjoy using my Pre over the Hero by far, so to me webOS has a head start over Android IMHO, which are both relatively new smartphone OSes.

The comparisons between the Hero and the Pre are only natural, so I wanted to share my perspective with others. I really hope Palm continues to create webOS based devices for other carriers and continues to grow, because I think they have an amazing product. It would be a shame if they got lost in the shuffle (with Blackberry, iPhone, and Android).
    Enjoyed the read. I cant really comment on the Hero, since ive only used it for 15 minutes or so at sprint, but i couldnt help but notice that navigating the UI on the pre was so much easier for me. Granted, that could be because i just havent played with the Hero long enough to get used to it, but i did catch myself trying to swipe the bottom of the screen (i do the same thing on my itouch occasionally)

I agree that they both are in their "infancy" stages, but i dont think webOS has a head start on android. Google has a much larger development team, and android has been on the market a good deal longer than webOS. Android 2.0 looks pretty slick on the Droid, and has a lot of features that appeal to alot of folks. Plus, motorola hasnt hasnt put a fancy UI skin over 2.0 like HTC tends to do with its devices. Im interested to see what HTC does with 2.0. things like this are interesting. HTC’s “Virtual Book” UI Patent Could Be Sense UI’s Successor - Virtual book ui - Gizmodo

One thing i tend to do more often on the pre is using the cards to relay info from one app to another. example: say i have an all number wifi passcode saved in my memos and there is no way ill remember all of it. I open the wifi app and the memo app. maximize the memo app and remember a few numbers, then switch to wifi app to input the numbers, and repeat till i finish. Its kind of a weird thing to like about the pre, but its something ive never been able to do with any other phone ive used.
    u know what guys? funny story i went in to a AT&T store as soon as they saw my palm pre they throwed my out typicall. in the other hand i was very surprised from verizon i went in a store and everybody in verizon wanted to play and see the pre could it be that verizon is getting really good when it comes to sprint and other phones? i know they dissed AT&T just recently in commericals but actually never sprint.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Man you are entitled to your opinion but the Hero is a far better phone IMHO. After 1 month of use, I DO NOT miss the keyboard. I DO agree with you about the Gestures. I still have my Pre hoping the 1.3 release finally brings it up to par.. If not, I officially give up on Palm.. To many dissapointments over the years. They seem to be working on something special with the hiring of the AMD/ATI Engineer... So the GPU development should gain some mometum... 1.3 better improve things or Palm is through.. To many new phones that are so much more appealing coming out.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Also.. HTC confirmed that there will be a Android 2 update for the HERO..
    dont forget full flash is coming soon to the pre not half baked like on the hero its full but i dont think the hero is bad at all. still the open platform and patches and all do amazing thinks the pre does because of webos is really greta no other phone has that open and freely way of making apps and patching and all those things well the pixi will as well
    Quote Originally Posted by apcmiami View Post
    Man you are entitled to your opinion but the Hero is a far better phone IMHO. After 1 month of use, I DO NOT miss the keyboard. I DO agree with you about the Gestures. I still have my Pre hoping the 1.3 release finally brings it up to par.. If not, I officially give up on Palm.. To many dissapointments over the years. They seem to be working on something special with the hiring of the AMD/ATI Engineer... So the GPU development should gain some mometum... 1.3 better improve things or Palm is through.. To many new phones that are so much more appealing coming out.
    Totally Agree!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I agree that they both are in their "infancy" stages, but i dont think webOS has a head start on android. Google has a much larger development team, and android has been on the market a good deal longer than webOS.
    I agree that Google has all of the resources to make Android an amazing OS. Most of their other products are well done, so I have no doubt that that Android will be the same. But as it is now, I believe webOS to be superior to Android (in other words, has a head start). It wouldn't surprise me if Android does leap frog past webOS, but that just isn't the case today.

I guess I don't understand what's so disappointing about the Pre. Most of the people I know that own one love it. It's a great device. There will always be those people that are never pleased. They're just looking for the next fix. The Pre's been out for less than 5 months and people give up on it because it hasn't added Video Recording for instance. The funny thing is that those same people will be over the Hero in a few months and want something else to fill their never satiated needs. Android has been out even longer and it hasn't exactly made any quantum leaps. To me the Hero, and Android, is a disappointment when stacked up against the Pre. Again, I think it'll only get better. But so will webOS, and it's pretty much in spitting distance of being virtually perfect.
    I think that this is an interesting review. There are parts that I agree with and parts that I disagree with. I have a hard time getting to the point that one has a clear advantage. They're both really interesting phones, each with strengths and weaknesses and it's more of a function of which set of weaknesses you can live with. Because, like every other piece of technology, and almost every user, you're more than likely to take the strengths for granted and focus only on the negatives.

And for the most part, I think your review is in pretty safe ground saying that those things are the things that work for you. But there's one area that I don't really understand and it's this one:

3.) Gestures and Navigation

I find the use of the back gesture on the Pre and the gesture to activate the menu infuriating. About 90% of the time, I get the gesture right. The other 10% of the time, I intend to execute the gesture (either menu or back) but I did it slightly wrong and the phone doesn't know. When I compare this to how often I miss hitting a simple "back" and "menu" button on the Hero, I think there's absolutely no comparison. I almost *never* do those inputs incorrectly. Compared to that 10% is outrageously bad. The part I don't get is how you think this is a positive for the Pre. It is one of the single most frustrating things that I experience using the phone.

As for me, I think of this in terms of what I'll miss most if I choose the Pre and what I'll miss most if I choose the Hero. I currently have both. I'm going to have to decide which one I keep. Here are the lists that I've come up with:

If I choose to stick with the Pre, I'll miss the following from the Hero:
    1. Hero’s 1500mAh battery.
    2. Android’s ability to completely swap dialer, sms and other standard apps.
    3. Widgets
    4. TONS of apps in Android Market
    5. Hero’s much faster calendar
    6. Hero’s Voice Google search
    7. Astrid – a significantly better Tasks application, that syncs with Remember The Milk.
    8. Notes - a better memos app that includes categorization and backup
    9. Visual Voicemail
    10. The definitive nature of the “back” and “menu” operations on the Hero. (As mentioned above)
    11. Hero’s much more solid hardware build vs. Pre’s fragile slider. (I am, afterall on Pre #4)
    12. Video
    13. MicroSD slot
    14. The Trackball as a much more precise way to go backwards and correct a typo as compared to Pre's holding the orange key, and gesturing.
    15. The cool stuff in Android 2.0, especially google's turn by turn navigation

On the other hand, if I were to choose the Hero, here's what I'd miss from the Pre:
    1. Pre's physical keyboard that I’m much better at compared to Hero’s virtual keyboard.
    2. The significantly better Twitter apps (Twee and Tweed) that are available for the Pre
    3. Pregame's LED Flashlight which isn't even possible on the Hero since it doesn't have an LED.
    4. The Pre's NFL & NASCAR apps are able to stream audio while the screen is off. The Hero versions cut the audio as soon as the screen blanks.
    5. Synergy’s more accurate and flexible ability to link multiple accounts into a single contact entry. The Hero has something like it, but it is rudimentary by comparison.
    6. Pre's support for IMAP IDLE enabling real time push email while conserving battery. The Hero can only poll on specified intervals.
    7. Pre's full HTML rendering in email vs Hero's not.
    8. Pre's browser starting up at bookmarks instead of Hero's requirement that I open a homepage that I didn't want to open.
    9. The sheer potential of WebOS

All told, I don't think it's an easy decision, but I'm leaning towards the Hero.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 11/04/2009 at 01:42 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    I agree that Google has all of the resources to make Android an amazing OS. Most of their other products are well done, so I have no doubt that that Android will be the same. But as it is now, I believe webOS to be superior to Android (in other words, has a head start). It wouldn't surprise me if Android does leap frog past webOS, but that just isn't the case today.

I guess I don't understand what's so disappointing about the Pre. Most of the people I know that own one love it. It's a great device. There will always be those people that are never pleased. They're just looking for the next fix. The Pre's been out for less than 5 months and people give up on it because it hasn't added Video Recording for instance. The funny thing is that those same people will be over the Hero in a few months and want something else to fill their never satiated needs. Android has been out even longer and it hasn't exactly made any quantum leaps. To me the Hero, and Android, is a disappointment when stacked up against the Pre. Again, I think it'll only get better. But so will webOS, and it's pretty much in spitting distance of being virtually perfect.

i will agree with u i am not dissing the hero in anyway it a good device and some people just like the touch screen only way better whats cool. i just think the webos because of the open app devolpment and patching and all those things it will be just better u can say if the pre doesnt has something a costumer is missing well there is a patch for that like no yahoo messenger well i have that on mine because through patching so there just so much possibilities on the webos and every other os is just more limited but i still think the hero is a good phone and even the motorola moment will a good phone as well just webos is special.
    @onlinespending for how much do u wanna sell ur hero and does it can be used for tehtering?
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    @onlinespending for how much do u wanna sell ur hero and does it can be used for tehtering?
    There's a 3rd party app that can be installed for tethering called PDANet.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    mu7efcer thank u. and it would be wifi or over usb and does it actually work?
    I was able to play with the Hero for about a half hour the other day and I have to say the Hero is a well built phone. The scroll wheel was smooth and very useful something I would love and pay extra to have on a future Pre. Its thinner than the Pre and it feels like a phone is supposed to. The OS is another story (I think its an amazing redesign of WinMo; it might work for some but not me).

For people that never had a Pre I would recommend the Hero for the simple fact they never had to get used to the ease of gesturing and multitasking on a "not yet finished" Pre. For current owners I recommend you stick with your Pre.

Reason? Well Even though I wish I first purchased a Hero, Palm has got me addicted to its multitasking and gesturing. While playing with the Hero, I kept trying to swipe the bottom of the phone, kept trying to multitask back to a recently opened page or app, kept trying to go backwards. It could be done just not the Pre way.

This addiction has not only clouded my phone choices, it has also had an affect on the types of electronics I choose. I went to Best Buy trying to check out the new iPod Nano, and its scroll ticked me off, Anchros 5 Andriod tablet ticked me off too. There was no way to navigate or multitask the easier way. The Zune HD was cool though.lol
    someone should start a thread based on, ( have you left the pre for another phone , and hate yourself for it ? ) this. It would be interesting to see how many people have left and come back. For me I would be lost without gestures on my phone ,so I geuss I'm stuck with my pre! And I'm happy with that .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    To each his own, but there are a couple of things in the OPs summation which with I have to disagree.

First, I consider all the patches available for the Pre to be a negative. They need to be removed every time Palm sends out an update (and if you're not paying attention, and don't remove them, they can break the update). Many of the patches themselves break after an OS update, so you have to hope the developer is still around to update them. Patches simply illustrate how lacking WebOS really is. They should not need to exist at all.
    To some extent, homebrew is the same: it points out just how weak the official app catalog is, and how few serious apps exist for the Pre. Homebrew is fine, but most of these apps aren't exactly category killers, nor do they provide capabilities that are unique to the Pre. And there are many thousands more apps available for Andriod than for Pre.

Aside from that, the Android developer and "hacking" community is second to none. You can get complete, packaged ROMs from the Android's equivilent of the homebrew community. Want a feature on your Hero that's only normally found on another Android phone? Someone's probably already ported it. Android is every bit as open as the Pre, and the community supporting it far larger. Win: Android

The WebOS multitasking interface is brilliant, no question. It's just too bad there aren't more useful apps to multi-task with. Although if there were, you couldn't install more than a few of them thanks to Palm's idiotic app memory limit. Yes, I know there's a "patch." See above.

WebOS ahead of Android? Maybe in terms of multi-tasking, but that's about it. While Palm struggles to get 1.3 out the door, Andriod 1.5 has far more features and capabilities built in, and 2.0 has been released to manufacturers. And there's a ton of innovation being built on top of Android by companies like HTC, Motorola and Samsung.

I not arguing against your opinion. Everyone's entitled to pick the device they like best. But to criticise the Android UI without spending time to learn and get used to it is hardly fair. That's like going from and old DOS computer to a Mac and complaining it's confusing. You had to learn and adapt to WebOS, too, I suspect. And don't base your opinion on half the facts. Spend as much time on the Android forums as you do here, and you might be surprised by what you're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    If video recording was all it was missing, I wouldn't care. But it's incapable of doing dozens of things my ancient Palm Treo can do, the customization options are virtually non-existent, and the calendar program is inadequate for my needs, with no third party option to replace it. I couldn't care less about Facebook integration or twitter. I use my Smartphone as a device to organize my life, and the PIM apps on the Pre are pretty pathetic. Palm did better 10 years ago with the P-OS PIM apps. And 5 months isn't exactly a weekend. No one but Palm seems to find video recording particularly difficult.

And I'd disagree with your assessment that Android hasn't made any major leaps. Each point release of Android adds real features and capabilities, and 2.0 is a significant upgrade (with gestures, btw, although only in Europe for some reason--but give the Android community a few months, and you'll probably be able to add the gestures to a US 2.0 phone). OTOH, Palm's updates to date have mostly been bug fixes, not significant feature upgrades. Given Palm's small size, and it's struggles to get even the basic features of a phone OS released, I think your optimism about future WebOS improvements is just that: optimistic.

Finally, your criticism of those who are disatisfied with the Pre is off target, at least for me. I was too disapointed in the Pre to switch. I'm still using my Treo. So no, I won't be switching phones every 6 months to get the latest thing. If we're typcasting users, I'd say Pre users are mostly focused on having a "cool" phone that does social networking and other cool stuff, as opposed to Treo users, who were focused on being productive. Maybe that's why the older forum users are so disapointed, and all the relative noobs, with little prior smartphone experience, think the Pre is so great.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 11/04/2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast