Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well i now have both a Pre and a Hero. I originally bought 2 pre's with my lines just over 30 days ago. I had to trade my Pre in for the Hero. But my lady kept her Pre.

The main reason i had to leave the Pre is signal strength of calls. I really cant accept calls going straight to voicemail ever. With my Pre it was happening about 4-5 times per day. Now i dont live in the boonies. I live in an area that sprint and verizon have strong service. My phone is on the road with me all day long so the issue could not be resolved with airwave.

I really wanted to keep the pre because of the cards system. It really does become addictive. However after having the hero for about a week and coming from an iphone for the last 3 years i feel that i can make a fair comparison.

I loved the cards but i dont know if the gestures worked as much as i liked. I would swipe back many times and the phone wouldnt respond. maybe it was me. But i always wished it was a little more responsive. Overall though it is better than having to hit the home or back button on the hero.

The hero does obviously win hands down in apps. Even compared to the iPhones 85k apps they keep telling us about. The iphones apps were all pretty useless. The Hero has apps that are really nice. Look up iMusic and you will see.

The build quality of the hero so far seems to be better than the pre. My pre developed a slight oreo affect. The hero cant. However there is an issue going around the hero with people getting dust under the screen. My pre and my girlfriends pre's just feel like they are not well made.

Virtual vs physical keyboard. I love virtual. My girl loves physical. Its just a matter of preference. i think the iphone for 3 years has gotten me really good at virtual kb's. My girlfriend flat out refused to trade her pre for a hero for the reason of hating virtual keyboards. I dont think either can be considered better.

Battery life. Pre is awful stock. Hero has an issue with not sleeping enough. Overall the hero is a better battery. And they are working on an update to fix the sleepless problem.

3g speed. Not even close. My Pre was 2x faster on every download speed test that i tried. I would get speeds of 3.0mbs with the pre. With the hero i am at around 1.2mbs at best. I cant understand why the pre is awful at voice but excellent at data. The hero is the opposite. Well i should say opposite. 1.2mbs isnt bad. Just not great.

I really like both phones. I really like what HTC has done with SenseUI. And i love how smooth the WebOS system is. I just couldnt miss phone calls due to my profession. Do i regret trading to the Hero? No. I feel like we are all spoiled. We are all lucky to get to nit pick 2 amazing products. I remember when my old samsung t809 was new and cool.

Oh yea. 1 more area. Camera.... I prefer Pre's. Not due to flash. I actually always had flash off due to severe red eye. But the hero is awful at taking pictures of people unless they stand statue still. And movement at all kills the camera. Blurvision. Now this is something else that can be fixed with an update. But i have not heard if HTC cares enough to fix it. 5mp should be nice but blur is awful. So i give the advantage to Pre. (even with no camcorder)

I actually love both phones. I would have kept my pre is the call signal
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I have a Pre and tried out the HTC Hero for a few weeks. I think it's great that people who have tried both the Pre and Hero can post their experiences, as the Hero is a compelling device that has received great reviews. I ended up returning the Hero and keeping my Pre. I agree with the OP's opinion that the Pre is better than the HTC Hero, though I have some differing opinions why:

webOS vs Andriod v1.5/HTC Sense -- I don't think this is even much of a competition. I can't think of one thing Android does that webOS does not do. I have GMail and a .Mac account and both are pushed to my Pre (due to the Pre's support for IMAP Idle) Android 1.5 does not have a unified inbox and the standard IMAP email support (i.e everything besides GMail) is a poor substitute. HTC Sense does build very nice Facebook integration into the Hero, but the cost is that updates to the Hero will be delayed (as the Sense layer needs to be modified to work with the latest Android build) The Pre has better multitasking support (i.e. cards) and the multitouch features in the Pre's browser are superior to the Hero's (the Pre's pinch and pull gestures are smother than the same gestures on the Hero) The Flash support on the Hero is poor....don't expect to be streaming Hulu on the Hero. After using the Hero I am even more amazed that webOS has only been out for about 5 months. I think that Android 2.0 has some superior features to webOS, but not Android 1.5 (even with the HTC Sense layer). One final note is that the memory management in Android is poor. If you get Android, you need to get an AppManager from the Android Market because all performance (including that of the phone) will grind to a halt when there is too much running (there is no other across the board way to close an application than using an AppManager) Is the process of killing all processes when the phone runs slowly a huge deal....no. However, it's not as easy as the webOS method of closing a card. Also, there are a surprisingly large number of bugs in the HTC Sense . The 2 biggest ones were that option to search for apps didn't work (it activated the Google Voice Search) and the stock messaging app prevented the phone from sleeping (which killed battery life). I did love using the widgets that Android/HTC allows for.

Build Quality -- I have a newer Pre and I think the build quality is still not good (though it is acceptable) Also, I'm not a huge fan of the Pre's keyboard (though that is just my opinion) The HTC soft keyboard performs just ok when there is no lag...unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often. Also, whle the HTC Hero has very solid build quality, the fact that the menu/back/search buttons are flush to the phone caused issues for me. The talk and end buttons are only slightly elevated over the menu/back/search buttons which resulted in me hitting the search button when I was trying to hit the end call button. All in all, I'll take the slight twisting of the Pre's slider over the flush buttons on the Hero. I'll also take the smaller physical keyboard of the Pre over the Hero's soft keyboard that lags too easily.

Battery life was slightly better on the Hero, not drastically. Both the Pre and the Hero get me through the day, and both require me to charge nightly.
    Of course the Android market is way more developed than the Pre's. In fact, the slow progress in the Pre's AppMarket is my biggest concern with the Pre. Also, Google Voice is seamlessly integrated into the Hero, but the GDial Pro app is getting better and better (especially with the new patch that allows the GDial Pro to be used when calling from Contacts)

I think the bottom line with the Hero is that it's too underpowered to be able to take advantage of the impressive HTC Sense. It requires you to manage your own memory via an AppManager since applications don't close when you exit (wasn't that a big complaint of Windows Mobile ??)

Personally, I'll take a webOS device over an Android 1.5/1.6 device regardless of what is layered over the stock Android OS (i.e. Sense or Blur) Android 2.0 brings some very nice additions but if Palm keeps on improving webOS as the same pace as they are now, it won't be too long before webOS is superior to whatever Android build is out there. Also, I would be reluctant to stray away from a "Google Experience" phone with the stock Android OS because of the delay in getting OS updates and the fact that an additional layer on top of Android opens up the opportunities for more bugs; I think the concerns I have read about Android becoming fragmented are valid.

Because of the seamless Google Voice integration with Android, I'll always look at Android devices, but Android is just not there yet.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    OTOH, Palm's updates to date have mostly been bug fixes, not significant feature upgrades. Given Palm's small size, and it's struggles to get even the basic features of a phone OS released, I think your optimism about future WebOS improvements is just that: optimistic.

Finally, your criticism of those who are disatisfied with the Pre is off target, at least for me. I was too disapointed in the Pre to switch. I'm still using my Treo. So no, I won't be switching phones every 6 months to get the latest thing. If we're typcasting users, I'd say Pre users are mostly focused on having a "cool" phone that does social networking and other cool stuff, as opposed to Treo users, who were focused on being productive. Maybe that's why the older forum users are so disapointed, and all the relative noobs, with little prior smartphone experience, think the Pre is so great.
    The Pre was clearly rushed out the door to meet a release date that came just before the new iPhone 3GS. So it's not all that surprising that bug fixes would dominate the first few updates. It's still managed to add email search (albeit just subject and sender) and copy-and-paste support, which were big omissions. The iPhone has been out for more than 2 years and they have gotten very limited updates. It took them two years to add copy-and-paste, and MMS support. I think Pre owners need some perspective. I think Palm has done an admirable job with the updates and I have no doubt that they will continue to push out updates that will make webOS already better than it is.

Listen, this is all subjective obviously and just one man's opinion. I too could care less about Twitter. I have owned and used the following smarthphones as my primary device; a Windows Mobile phone (4 actually), an iPhone, a Blackberry, the Pre, and the Hero. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, well WinMo may only have weaknesses, but with the choices I have on Sprint I'm happy to be sticking with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    mu7efcer thank u. and it would be wifi or over usb and does it actually work?
    It works over USB. The only thing was I had difficulty during the installation. The software installs something on the PC side and on the phone. The PC side installed just fine, but I had to download the .apk for the phone through the web as instructed by question #7 in this FAQ.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    If you get Android, you need to get an AppManager from the Android Market because all performance (including that of the phone) will grind to a halt when there is too much running (there is no other across the board way to close an application than using an AppManager)
    This is simply not accurate. It is not necessary to use an app manager or task killer with Android. Android is designed to close apps itself when needed to free up resources. In fact, some task killer users have gone as far as to set up their managers to kill processes that are actually essential, causing the kind of lag and instability they were hoping to avoid in the first place.
    I can't think of one thing Android does that webOS does not do.
    Well, for starters, there's calendar search. Android has visual voicemail. And video recording. webOS has to be patched to provide LED notifications and text forwarding. Android has customizable home screens, widgets, and agenda views for the calendar. Android has a full slate of OS settings options; webOS "has a patch for that," if at all. webOS is a nice OS, with lots of potential. But it's just silly to say that webOS can do everything that Android can. It quite obviously cannot.