Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm suprised no one's mentioned this yet!

Certainly would be nice to see OS5 devices by Q3!
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    I don't wanna be negative but, I'll believe it when I see it.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Yesterday, CESD on his pimlicodatebk group on Yahoo made it sound like he has already been testing his newest version of Datebk (Datebk5) with PalmOS 5.
    Originally posted by na2rboy
    Yesterday, CESD on his pimlicodatebk group on Yahoo made it sound like he has already been testing his newest version of Datebk (Datebk5) with PalmOS 5.
    He has. All of Palm's high end developers are given the opportunity to test early builds of the OS. Devs like CESD and the folks at Iambic have already seen the new OS. PalmSource is really more of an official "coming out" party, but the OS is still very much in beta and won't go Gold until summer.

Don't expect to see next generation ARM/OS 5 hardware until very late Q4 or early next year.
    Originally posted by na2rboy
    FWIW, I understoood CESD to mean that the newest version will be DateBK4 v5. I.e. the product is still called DateBK4 and the newest version is v5
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    We'll have to see...don't believe any rumors, least from Palm, lol. I hope that at PalmSource the developers get to give suggestions and comments on the new OS, and see what improvements they can add in. Palm BETTER get it right this time...or they may end up losing their PalmOS...

If it takes longer to develop a better OS, so be it. I'd rather wait for it, then get a "OS 4.5" in the new OS 5 devices. It sounds good though: multimedia, high-res, faster. Though that's already been done, can't Palm think up of something by themselves???
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Looks like the Hi-res standard is gonna be 320x320. Heheh, I knew Sony would win that one.

Well for Palm OS 5 to win me over, it better have those feature they claim will be in it. Hell, if Palm were smart they'd ask apple to develop a Quicktime player for the OS 5 devices. Imagine smooth 320x320 video running on your PDA. It won't be the sharpest but I can see some serious uses for it in the office as well as personal use.

Think different!! Camcorder to i-Movie to PDA

But you all gotta admit the the real challange for a multimedia device is memory and storage. If Palm can provide a good amount of ram in the device plus 1 to 5 gig of storage solution internal/external (like an I-pod) I think they may have a winner.

We may pay a price in form factor though.

PS: Palm should also consider firewire support along with USB/USB2
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    All the juice: http://www.palmoswerks.com

They demo'ed OS 5 on Intel and Motorolla boards. News today is making me reconsider jumping at the 66Mhz DB and waiting all the way till OS 5.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Looks like the Hi-res standard is gonna be 320x320. Heheh, I knew Sony would win that one. [...]
    How do you take a maximum supported resolution of 320x320 to mean that 320x320 will be _the_ 'standard'? Epson's recent release about Handera mentions a maximum supported resolution of 320x320 also, but that doesn't mean Handera's going the Sony route.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Looks like the Hi-res standard is gonna be 320x320.
    Does that mean there STILL won't be a soft-grafitti area?

Ugh.

While a faster processor and OS are always nice, I'm still not sold on the fact that 'multimedia' will be that much of a selling point for these things.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    While a faster processor and OS are always nice, I'm still not sold on the fact that 'multimedia' will be that much of a selling point for these things.
    That's because you're thinking with your head and not your heart. Multimedia is ultimately a "nice to have as long as it doesn't cost too much extra" thing for the general public, in my observations. There will always be the technogeeks who say that X product _has_ to support it to succeed, but technogeeks make up a small portion of the market. If Palm can cram all that functionality into OS5 where their hardware licensees can sell it for less than $500 and still make money _and_ keep the current ease of use, I'll be impressed. As it is, I consider the touted features of OS5 to be 'me too'ing Microsoft's marketing campaigns.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    has anybody else notice this lack: Multitasking?
    Is OS5 BeOS?
    -David Byrne
    Sounds like Palm OS 5 will be released much earlier than anticipated. David Nagel of PalmSource said the Golden Master software would be released by this Spring.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by homer
    Is OS5 BeOS?
    Nope. BeOS was bought too late to be integrated into OS5.
    Posted by Homer:

Is OS5 BeOS?
    No. OS 5 is merely a port of OS 4 for ARM. Palm has stated they will gradually roll technologies from BeOS into the Palm platform. But OS 5 will "look" like OS 4, and the PIM applications will remain unchanged as well.

Posted by Bookrats:

Sounds like Palm OS 5 will be released much earlier than anticipated. David Nagel of PalmSource said the Golden Master software would be released by this Spring.
    Not quite. The release date is "late Spring". That suggests to me we are looking at late June/early July. But we won't see actual devices running OS 5/ARM until much later in the year. Late Q4 is my guess.
    Funny, I haven't seen developer support for OS4.

Regarding hi-res: OS 1-4 had a "max resolution" of 160x160, remember? I'd think the name of the game for pda's would be readability - IOW increasing screen real estate and increasing resolution and visibility in all lighting conditions. As always, the best may not be adopted by consumers. It'd be too bad. Handera has a much more functional, albeit uglier, unit.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I forgot to mention OS 5 is 32bit native, and has a new kernel. That's something.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    [...] Handera has a much more functional, albeit uglier, unit.
    Yeah, it looks like my old Casio E-11 (although it feels less brick-like due to better rounded edges). I must reiterate, though, that it looks less bad in person, IMO, than I originally thought. A black faceplate and 4MB of ROM would have been killer.
    So...why DID Palm buy BeOS? Isn't BeOS already a viable internet appliance OS?
    -David Byrne
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast