View Poll Results: Wait for Pre 2 or Droid Now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait for the Pre 2 with more User Memory

24 26.97%
  • I will switch to the DROID on Verizon, so long, Palm.

5 5.62%
  • I will wait for a better Android device on Sprint, Moment or Hero doesn't rock my world

10 11.24%
  • I am happy with the Pre and not going anywhere

45 50.56%
  • I am going to an Iphone

3 3.37%
  • I am going to a Windows Mobile phone

0 0%
  • I am getting a Pixi

1 1.12%
  • I am getting a Blackberry

1 1.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please forgive the unintentional repetitive thread, I included this info in my Poll Thread

I've been sitting on the sidelines since the Pre launched, disappointed over the 8gb user memory. A loyal Palm fan since my Treo 300, I vowed to wait until the Pre 2 launched with at least 16gb user memory or expansion so I could have all my music with me with room for more and movies, programs, etc. Plus, I have been with Sprint forever, and feel the current data plan pricing and free mobile to mobile calling can't be beat. The network is pretty good from my experience too. I am now off contract with Sprint and can go anywhere.

But, then here comes the Droid on Verizon with Android 2.0 and 16 Gb user SDHC card included...and I live by my Gmail account. Boy it has got me thinking. I have read all the Droid reviews, and it is a seemingly very good device on a solid network. I have been scouring the internet daily waiting for some whiff of news on the Pre 2, but man, am I tempted by Droid. The only sticking points for me are a somewhat more expensive basic plan on Verizon and no free mobile to mobile.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 11/03/2009 at 12:45 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I've been sitting on the sidelines since the Pre launched, disappointed over the 8gb user memory. A loyal Palm fan since my Treo 300, I vowed to wait until the Pre 2 launched with at least 16gb user memory or expansion so I could have all my music with me with room for more and movies, programs, etc. Plus, I have been with Sprint forever, and feel the current data plan pricing and free mobile to mobile calling can't be beat. The network is pretty good from my experience too. I am now off contract with Sprint and can go anywhere. I have had a Centro for 2 years.

But, then here comes the Droid on Verizon with Android 2.0 and 16 Gb user SDHC card included, expandable to 32GB ...and I live by my Gmail account. Boy it has got me thinking. I have read all the Droid reviews, and it is a seemingly very good device on a solid network. I have been scouring the internet daily waiting for some whiff of news on the Pre 2, but man, am I tempted by Droid. The only sticking points for me are a somewhat more expensive basic plan on Verizon and no free mobile to mobile.

Assuming you are would be willing to switch to Android from WebOS or Palm OS, what would you do?
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 11/03/2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Personally for me 8gb vs 16 gb isnt that big a deal. I have 6 gb of music on my phone right now and that is more than I would ever listen too in one sitting.

And there is always drop and drag...maybe a small inconvenience but do you really need 24 plus hours of music and video on a phone?
    buy a Droid
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    consider the total cost of ownership if it matters to you. Sprint's prices are much cheaper then verizons.

I was very tempted by the Droid.. until I listened to the engadget podcast talking about it.. even though they were talking very highly about it, it made me like my Pre that much more. (in their words, a much more polished oS)
    -m
    Seems you want to buy a Droid, so buy a Droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    I've been sitting on the sidelines since the Pre launched...
    Was this so important you had to ask it twice, and not even in the Cross Platform Chat?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Here are my thoughts. Since there is only speculation about the 2nd generation Pre (very little at that) we don't really know what we're waiting for. The Droid looks like a promising device, but the two things I would urge you to consider is the service provider and the operating system.

You mentioned being a long-time Sprint customer and their cheaper plans... This is a big plus. Ask yourself if Verizon would work for you in terms of rates and coverage. I can only speak for myself here, but after 3 years with VZW I was unhappy with my coverage for what I was paying, not to mention the fact that they crippled their versions of the Sprint equivalent HTC phones. The Droid doesn't seem to have suffered too much from their crippling policies.

The operating system is the second most important factor for me. I love WebOS and I think it is a very promising platform. I suggest you spend a lot of time with Android and WebOS then make your decision taking service provider into consideration.

Good luck!

BTW.. I'd say Pre 2 all the way!!!!
    I'm confused, you have the option for waiting for a better Android phone on Sprint, but you don't have the option to get the Moment or the Hero. I'm getting the Moment as soon as I can sell my Pre.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Was this so important you had to ask it twice, and not even in the Cross Platform Chat?
    oops..didn't mean to post twice..was trying to get the poll in.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I'm confused, you have the option for waiting for a better Android phone on Sprint, but you don't have the option to get the Moment or the Hero. I'm getting the Moment as soon as I can sell my Pre.
    I have read reviews on both the Moment and Hero, and neither rocked my world. If I were to go to Android, I would want Android 2.0 out of the box, and a thinner device than the moment with a QWERTY keyboard.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    The Moment seems like a better choice than the Droid, especially since it's already on the Sprint Network. Those are my 2 choices, right now (Pre vs Moment), but neither has CallBlock or Record, as good as the apps on the PalmOS; however, both are definitely a huge software and hardware upgrade, for me. I love my Centro but I'm tired of its limitations.
    I say single-handily help stimulate the economy and do both.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Oh, I agree the Moment is huge and 2.0 is almost as impressive as WebOS. I played with one last night and it seemed humongous. But I think I can live with that if I can make it function like I want. Plus, it's not as ugly in person, but it is a big phone, especially compared to the Pre (though even the Hero looked scrawny beside it).
    I'm not sure how this decision could require more then an hour to figure out. Go to store, look at and try these devices, ask questions, make determination. If your the kind of person who is obsessed with what is speculatively coming out in 6 months your never going to be happy with what is available now.

Buy what makes you horny today and move on when your contract is up for renewal.
  16.    #16  
    [QUOTE=diomark;2014130]consider the total cost of ownership if it matters to you. Sprint's prices are much cheaper then verizons.

Good point on TCO. Here's an analysis that shows what we all probably know, Pre on Sprint wins for costs over a 2 year contract.

hhttp://www.precentral.net/how-much-does-sprint-pre-save-you-lotttp://
  17.    #17  
    In response to Ryleyinstl: "'m not sure how this decision could require more then an hour to figure out. Go to store, look at and try these devices, ask questions, make determination. If your the kind of person who is obsessed with what is speculatively coming out in 6 months your never going to be happy with what is available now.

Buy what makes you horny today and move on when your contract is up for renewal. "

I want a device that will keep me happy for the most part of 2 year contract without needing to buy out early or deal with selling on ebay to recoup costs if I don't end up wanting the device. But, I am also dealing with the possibility of severing long standing loyalties to Palm. So, I am carefully considering the options of waiting for the Pre 2 or jumping ship. Yeah, I root for the underdog.
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    I have read reviews on both the Moment and Hero, and neither rocked my world. If I were to go to Android, I would want Android 2.0 out of the box, and a thinner device than the moment with a QWERTY keyboard.
    So right off the bat, you're injecting your own uninformed opinion on the subject. Having used the Moment, I can't agree with reviewers like Gizmodo who paint it as a piece of junk, it was a near seamless experience for me, I had none of the issues the Gizmodo reviewer had. The Engadget review seemed decent towards the phone. I may not like the Hero as much as the Moment, but it's also a good phone.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    consider the total cost of ownership if it matters to you. Sprint's prices are much cheaper then verizons.

I was very tempted by the Droid.. until I listened to the engadget podcast talking about it.. even though they were talking very highly about it, it made me like my Pre that much more. (in their words, a much more polished oS)
    -m
    What did it for me was Nilay saying that hte Pre was quite a bit better for web browsing. Thats why I bought the thing in the first place.

I installed the Android 2 emulator on my computer and I played with the browser at hte Droids resolution. Pages were not as well formatted as on the Pre, and navigation wasn't nearly as good.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyGirl View Post
    The Moment seems like a better choice than the Droid, especially since it's already on the Sprint Network. Those are my 2 choices, right now (Pre vs Moment), but neither has CallBlock or Record, as good as the apps on the PalmOS; however, both are definitely a huge software and hardware upgrade, for me. I love my Centro but I'm tired of its limitations.
    There is a patch to block certain callers on the Pre. YOu can also do it thorugh google voice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast