View Poll Results: Wait for Pre 2 or Droid Now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait for the Pre 2 with more User Memory

24 26.97%
  • I will switch to the DROID on Verizon, so long, Palm.

5 5.62%
  • I will wait for a better Android device on Sprint, Moment or Hero doesn't rock my world

10 11.24%
  • I am happy with the Pre and not going anywhere

45 50.56%
  • I am going to an Iphone

3 3.37%
  • I am going to a Windows Mobile phone

0 0%
  • I am getting a Pixi

1 1.12%
  • I am getting a Blackberry

1 1.12%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    Assuming you are would be willing to switch to Android from WebOS or Palm OS, what would you do?
    I'm in the process of switching from Pre to Hero. But I took at look at phonedog's unboxing of the Droid. It looks pretty spectacular. Still, there are two significant things that would keep me from going to it:
    1. Verizon is too expensive
    2. The battery is 1450mAh for a phone with a humongous screen. I strongly suspect battery issues, although only time will tell if that's the case.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    So right off the bat, you're injecting your own uninformed opinion on the subject. Having used the Moment, I can't agree with reviewers like Gizmodo who paint it as a piece of junk, it was a near seamless experience for me, I had none of the issues the Gizmodo reviewer had. The Engadget review seemed decent towards the phone. I may not like the Hero as much as the Moment, but it's also a good phone.
    My my, aren't we snarky today? That's right, my friend. I prefer a thinner device than the Moment, I have seen the dimension specs, comparison shots with other devices, and the videos. If you call that uniformed, so be it.
    My my, aren't we snarky today? That's right, my friend. I prefer a thinner device than the Moment, I have seen the dimension specs, comparison shots with other devices, and the videos. If you call that uniformed, so be it.
    I'm with you. I stopped by the Sprint store today and played with the moment. It didn't appeal to me. Coming from a long line of Palm devices, I thought I'd like the physical keyboard. But it's so much
    wider than any of the ones that I've used, I'm less accurate on it than I am on the Hero's virtual keyboard. Which was really surprising to me.

That, and I thought the Moment was a tad on the homely side. Just my $0.02.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Unburden yourself, Palm has no loyalties with you. Ending your loyalties will have no adverse effects. Choose the product you want.

But, I am also dealing with the possibility of severing long standing loyalties to Palm.
    Wait for a little while after Droid. I (of course) am biased, but Droid doesn't not seem that great of a phone. It looks like a good android phone and the nav software seems pretty awesome, but a lot of the other features look half baked. I am constantly glad to see reviewers of new phones and OSes compare the newest stuff that is coming out with the iPhone OS 3.0 and WebOS generally in the same sentence. The Pre has been out 5 months now and it still is pulling comparisons with the likes of the iPhone. Do you think the same will be said for Droid? That remains to be seen but it looks like every other phone out there (square, basic) and a new one will come out sooner with Android 2.1 that will trump it quickly enough. The WebOS software is progressing smoothly and wasn't completely half baked at launch. I say with Pre2 or whatever you will get everything you want but you can't expect it right away, the Pre is still in peoples minds.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    if you wait for a 'Pre 2', then there will always be another Iphone 5G or Storm 4 or Droid 3 competition out there to make you wonder, so I doubt your decision will ever get any easier. Jump in with something, and enjoy it until your next love is released.
    My point is, your poll is asking what others will do, yet you're injecting your own opinion in it, making the poll plainly invalid.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Do you hold on to your phones for the length of a 2-year contract? Or do you upgrade yearly? If you hold on to your device for 2 years, then I would say wait for the Pre2, if you do yearly, than get the Pre now. Whatever you do, don't switch to Verizon, it's not worth the cost. Just research their plans; what you would get for your money. Find out about all the fees that aren't advertised. You'll see that Sprint's plans can't be beat for the coverage that you're getting.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    first off, we dont know what the Pre2 will hold or upgrade on. So it wont make sense saying that they will defenetly buy the Pre2 over any other device, this is just powered by hope and i learned not to do that from my WinMo days.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    oops..didn't mean to post twice..was trying to get the poll in.
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.

I want a device that will keep me happy for the most part of 2 year contract without needing to buy out early or deal with selling on ebay to recoup costs if I don't end up wanting the device.
    you want to make a definitive decision about two devices that you have no actual hands on time with...going off of only what you've read....and if you go off of what you read, especially here, Palm won't even be around for much longer. Palm also hasn't said anything about a Pre2....they haven't launched their Pixi yet.....and they haven't done a cross platform launch of the Pre or Pixi yet....so i think it's safe to say that any Pre2 is a long ways off.

But, I am also dealing with the possibility of severing long standing loyalties to Palm.
    seriously? and what benefits are you reaping from this loyalty?

So, I am carefully considering the options of waiting for the Pre 2 or jumping ship. Yeah, I root for the underdog.
    if you want to root for the underdog, support them NOW instead of taking a chance on a phone that doesn't even exist yet, or may never will.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    My point is, your poll is asking what others will do, yet you're injecting your own opinion in it, making the poll plainly invalid.
    I see your point, but that fact I have a preference that does not line up with yours for the Moment, does not make the poll "plainly invalid." That's a silly leap, and ignores the 45 voters as of this writing that deemed it worthy of a response. I knew I'd probably take some flack from a fellow gadget nerd no matter how I dreamed up the specifics of the poll, but come on, lighten up, will ya? I am assuming then, you did not vote. I never claimed to be offering a unbiased scientific approach, it's just a quick OPINION poll on a nerdy gadget site. Sheesh.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    you want to make a definitive decision about two devices that you have no actual hands on time with...going off of only what you've read....and if you go off of what you read, especially here, Palm won't even be around for much longer. Palm also hasn't said anything about a Pre2....they haven't launched their Pixi yet.....and they haven't done a cross platform launch of the Pre or Pixi yet....so i think it's safe to say that any Pre2 is a long ways off.

seriously? and what benefits are you reaping from this loyalty?

if you want to root for the underdog, support them NOW instead of taking a chance on a phone that doesn't even exist yet, or may never will.
    That's exactly it! My fear is that the Pre 2 is a long way off. I would like to see Palm succeed in the future due to the years of productivity and enjoyment thier products have given me. However, the current Pre does not meet my needs. I am tired of carrying around two gadgets for all of my music and communication needs. I would LIKE to hold out for the Pre 2 if it is not going to be forever coming.

The benefits I reap from loyalty waiting for a Pre 2 are continued use of some programs I have already purchased and hopefully still will enjoy by using the Classic Palm OS emulator for Web OS, and contributing to Palms future success is a good feeling. If they can't come up with a timely Pre 2 to stay competitive, then it would be quite a shame. I really don't want to have to wait until next June or July with my Centro. The assumption here is obviously that Palm would not dare issue a Pre 2 without more user memory for fear of not being competitive.
    That's exactly it! My fear is that the Pre 2 is a long way off. I would like to see Palm succeed in the future due to the years of productivity and enjoyment thier products have given me. However, the current Pre does not meet my needs. I am tired of carrying around two gadgets for all of my music and communication needs. I would LIKE to hold out for the Pre 2 if it is not going to be forever coming.

The benefits I reap from loyalty waiting for a Pre 2 are continued use of some programs I have already purchased and hopefully still will enjoy by using the Classic Palm OS emulator for Web OS, and contributing to Palms future success is a good feeling. If they can't come up with a timely Pre 2 to stay competitive, then it would be quite a shame. I really don't want to have to wait until next June or July with my Centro. The assumption here is obviously that Palm would not dare issue a Pre 2 without more user memory for fear of not being competitive.
    i dont really know what to tell you. i understand where you're coming from as i was in the same boat last month trying to decide on leaving verizon or waiting or blah blah blah. in the end i just had to make an informed choice.

ive gotten the latest and greatest at launch time for about 8 years in a row now, and i really let my wallet decide this time with Sprint's cheaper plans.

hardware wise though, it's easy to always be chasing a unicorn.

the one thing i can confidently tell you though is....Android is certainly not going anywhere anytime soon, so if you get your hands on a working Droid to play with, and you like it, i wouldn't hesitate to make the switch.
    Jumping from carrier to carrier is stupid imo. I mean I guess if having the newest shinest toy is REALLY that important to you then sure. But now with WebOS and Android out. Don't expect to have the top phone for more then 4-5 months IF you are lucky. Count how many Android phones have been announced and released just since the debut of the Pre. Sprint will be the first to have their hands on a 4g phone early or in the middle of next year. You'll see the same R-tards switching back. I am not sure if everyone understands just what capabilities 4g can bring to a phone. Just my 2 cents.
    If I had been rocking a centro all this time and I was about to get a new phone I would get a droid (if size and cost were not a concern/pre smaller and cheaper)

...just to let android have an opportunity to steal me away from palm....if i found i didnt like it I know I can always come back to palm and be satisfied with my phone...
  17.    #37  
    After reading eveyone's responses thus far and seeing how many are satisfied with the current Pre in the poll{58%}, I decided I would buy a used Pre on Ebay so I wouldn't have to re-up my contract with Sprint. I paid only $60 more than the current contract price. I figured this way I could give WebOs a whirl without waiting for the Pre 2. I'll keep my trusty Centro as my backup phone if I lose or don't ultimately like WebOs or the Pre. If I really don't like the Pre experience I can switch carriers to the DROID or wait and see what next Android device turns up on Sprint without having to wait until the Pre 2 shows up or pay an early termination fee with Sprint.

This is a temporary solution because I really do want a modern device that also has enough user memory for all my music.

Plus IMO, for now, the Everything Data 450 plan on Sprint with unlimited data and messaging, and free carrier to carrier mobile calls cannot be beat on a good network like Sprint.

Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Keep us posted on what you think about WebOS!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Good Anwser... and if you dont like it, buy a new one whats $200.00 bucks -)
    A big factor against the Droid is Verizon's just announced hike (after the initial buzz) of early termination fees: $350. In a year the Droid will feel old but with those fees it will be hard to get out of the contract.

I kinda knew Verizon was going to stick it to users in some way, it was too good to be true.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12