1.    #1  
    Hello all -

I've browsed this forum a lot over the years, and have found it to be the most informative Palm site.

With that said, I just upgraded from my Palm V to a new CLIE 615, and have a couple of questions for you pros:

1. Battery life seems horrible. I'm using it more then my old Palm V, and notice that the battery drops from 100% in the beginning of the day to about 30% by the end. I'm not using it heavily either (at least I don't think I am), maybe a couple hours total at a time. I'm also using it with the backlight on, so that may be expected. Although, if I don't use the backlight I find the screen very dim and unreadable. I can't find a contrast setting anywhere to help with this, so I'm back to the light. With the light, the screen is awesome.

I also played with the CLIE before the battery was done charging for the first 4 hours. The instructions didn't say it was bad to do this though, but I've read here that it may be. I left the unit in the cradle charging while using it though, and only took it off the cradle after a full nights charging. (In other words, I wanted to look at the screen and start moving stuff over right away).

Do I have a bad CLIE, or is it average to burn the batteries so quickly with the light on? If so, and there is no contrast, this may not be the unit for me.

2. I'm not sure if I should even ask this here, but is there a dedicated CLIE site anywhere, or one that lists all the hi-res programs for it?

3. When is the new Palm OS V coming out. While the CLIE is great, I'm wondering if I should wait. I haven't seen any previews of the next great Palm though. What exactly is it. Is it another evolutionary upgrade, or something more in line with the Windows PalmPCs?

4. Any fonts I can use to force older, non-high resolution programs to look better? I love BalanceLog and ThinkDB (awesome DB I've found), but they'd be so much better if I could see more, like Wordsmith.

Thanks.
    Scott
    I will try to answer as many as I can. My personal experience is with my 760 but here goes.

1. Battery life has been an issue from the beginning. While some users have reported they cannot tolerate it, others have reported it is fine. Here is a link to PocketGizmos, they have done several PDA battery tests, including the T615. Take a look and compare your results with theirs.

2. There are a couple of resources. The Yahoo Groups offer some pretty good information but may not be what you are looking for. They are:

nXt's CLIE Club

CLIE_Users_Group

A pretty good site that is continually growing is:

CLIESource

3. My opinion, OS 5 is at least 18Months away. I would also say it is going to be pretty different from the current OS. Considering the acquisition of BeOS, OS 5 is probably going to have more multimedia components. In addition, it will run on StrongARM processors, like the PocketPC's. All of this is based purely on rumors, as I have obtained no information that I consider solid.

I would say, keep the T615 and enjoy it. If it is 12 to 18 Months away, you should be able to get a lot of use out of it by then. If you do upgrade to OS 5, you will have one heck of a remote control.

4. To my knowledge, they only Font options you have are Hacks that can be installed. Here is a link to one such page:

CLIE Fonts

To use these, you would need a program like HackMaster or X-Master to run your Hacks and you would also need FontHack.

I have never used any type of Hack on my CLIE and have little experience with them. You might go to one of the above mentioned sites and do some research before installing.

Good luck and enjoy your CLIE. I love my 760.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for all the information.

PocketGizmo's tests seem fairly accurate, if not disappointing. I'm experiencing about the same duration for the Palm. What amazes me is that my CLIE may actually be worse then some of the PalmPCs, and a lot worse then the 760. One of the reasons I've loved the Palm platform is the battery life.

PocketGizmo's runs the test with the backlight on multiple settings. I just looked briefly through the manual again and couldn't find any information on adjusting the backlight. Is there another hack for this?

The fonts look interesting, I may have to give them a try.
    Check the bottom left corner of the graffiti rectangle. There is a little "sun" icon. That is the backlight brightness control. FWIW, it is described on page 18 of the manual.

HTH!

I had the backlight off today while reading Lord of the Rings on my T-615 (I was in a brightly lit area). After about 4 hours of use the battery meter was still at 100% After the fifth hour it went to 94% After only 30 minutes of having the backlight on, the battery meter went to 87%!!!

I'm worried about what'll happen with the Stowaway is released for this thing.... I wonder how long I'll be able to type...

-Trotsky
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    Check the bottom left corner of the graffiti rectangle. There is a little "sun" icon. That is the backlight brightness control. FWIW, it is described on page 18 of the manual.

HTH!

I had the backlight off today while reading Lord of the Rings on my T-615 (I was in a brightly lit area). After about 4 hours of use the battery meter was still at 100% After the fifth hour it went to 94% After only 30 minutes of having the backlight on, the battery meter went to 87%!!!

I'm worried about what'll happen with the Stowaway is released for this thing.... I wonder how long I'll be able to type...

-Trotsky
    I use the Stowaway on my 760 and on my Deluxe and really do not notice a difference. I never really type for a great deal of time, but it does not cause the battery meter to drop.

Of course, if you are going to write a novel, I could see how that would be a problem.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Well, this is just one person's experience with a T615C: It definitely has a short battery life, but not short enough that it causes problems for me.

Basically, I hotsync mine in the morning, read AvantGo for 1/2 in the vanpool, use it on-and-off for about 1/2 hour during the day (Datebk4, WordSmith to view documents), another 1/2 hour on reading AvantGo on the way home. Backlight is on at all times.

By the time I get home, depending on how much use I've gotten out of it, it's down to about 70-80% full. I've gotten it down to 60%, but that's about it.

Obviously, if I plan to go on the road for a while, I'm going to need a remote charger. But for my stay-at-home lifestyle, this is OK.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."