1.    #1  
    So I've owned a Pre since day 1. I've been a supporter of Palm for many years now. My last phone was the 755p. Just because I like Palm doesn't mean that I'm blind to whats going on around the marketplace. I can only wait so long for basic features. When you bring this up the average WebOS ****** says that WebOS is still in 1.x. That the iPhone also took a long time to get an app store going, basic features implemented, etc. Here are my responses to those arguments.

The competitive landscape has changed. The iphone was able to get away without an App store for a year and basic features because it basically had zero competition. People didn't really have a choice. If you wanted a touchscreen phone...you had to get an iPhone. It basically created the market.

Now we have the Palm Pre. It lacks many big features like not having the ability to use the GPU currently (so no games and choppy performance overall), a handful of amateur hour apps (sorry but its true), no video recording (supposedly its coming in 6 months..too little too late), no expandable storage, horrible build quality, etc.

So the plan is to hopefully convince people that WebOS is new and they should wait for basic features when they not only can get the iphone but now they can get the Droid which many Verizon customers will upgrade to, Samsung moment, HTC hero, HD2, and on and on and on.

That plan worked for the iphone. It won't work for WebOS. Too much competition that makes the Pre look bad. Beat my argument.
    +1
    my answers

yes
    no
    perhaps but only if they can derive a cause
    it can happen, time is an element but not the element
    I dressed up as a cowboy

I think that sums it up, unless I misread the original question
  4.    #4  
    You know..I was looking at my thread title...and maybe it should be more like, "Beat my argument". Whatever.
    You're right on every point. See my sig. I've been with Palm since the very beginning. The Pre and webOS are destined to be a grad school MBA case study subject in the same vein as the Betamax and the Tucker automobile.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    [QUOTE=doublebullout;2013665]You're right on every point. See my sig. I've been with Palm since the very beginning. The Pre and webOS are destined to be a grad school MBA case study subject in the same vein as the Betamax and the Tucker automobile.[/QUO

Coming soon to a mgmt textbook near you..
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    First, I, too, am a long time Palm user - starting with the Palm V, Kyocera phone, Treo 300, Treo 600 and Treo 755.

I like the form factor of the Pre. I like the way it fits in my hand. I like the slide out keyboard. I've gotten pretty good at typing one handed. I like the screen.

I primarily got the Pre for Synergy since I use Google calendar and Gmail as my primary business PIMs (don't use tasks or memos much).

I really like the calendar and email on the Pre (not perfect, but works for me). The calendar seems to work well. Haven't had a problem syncing Google and the Pre. I have 5 calendars on Google that work great with the Pre. Very acceptable 1-2 second lag going from day to day. Now that I use Agenda Quick Event, I am a happy camper. My only gripes about the calendar are the bug involving the last day of a repeating event and the date picker.

I use Gmail for business and AOL for personal stuff. My mail arrives on my Pre before it arrives on my desktop. Now that we have email search I am happy.

I use Google Maps all the time and it works great. I am on the road a lot and use Sprint Nav a lot. Some concern about not getting GPS fix, but now I reboot before using it and it works very well.

I text a fair amount but not a lot. Messaging works fine for me.

I also use Launchpoint for speed dial and it works great, Music Player (Remix) to listen to audio books, and FriendsFlow to keep up with Facebook.

Video would be nice, but not a big deal for me. One thing I am waiting for is an Audible app. Remix works but it's not as easy.

I've looked at the apps in Iphone and Android and most of them I would never use. There are a couple that I'd like, but they aren't necessary.

So, I am very happy with my Pre. Does that answer your question?
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    First, I, too, am a long time Palm user - starting with the Palm V, Kyocera phone, Treo 300, Treo 600 and Treo 755.

I like the form factor of the Pre. I like the way it fits in my hand. I like the slide out keyboard. I've gotten pretty good at typing one handed. I like the screen.

I primarily got the Pre for Synergy since I use Google calendar and Gmail as my primary business PIMs (don't use tasks or memos much).

I really like the calendar and email on the Pre (not perfect, but works for me). The calendar seems to work well. Haven't had a problem syncing Google and the Pre. I have 5 calendars on Google that work great with the Pre. Very acceptable 1-2 second lag going from day to day. Now that I use Agenda Quick Event, I am a happy camper. My only gripes about the calendar are the bug involving the last day of a repeating event and the date picker.

I use Gmail for business and AOL for personal stuff. My mail arrives on my Pre before it arrives on my desktop. Now that we have email search I am happy.

I use Google Maps all the time and it works great. I am on the road a lot and use Sprint Nav a lot. Some concern about not getting GPS fix, but now I reboot before using it and it works very well.

I text a fair amount but not a lot. Messaging works fine for me.

I also use Launchpoint for speed dial and it works great, Music Player (Remix) to listen to audio books, and FriendsFlow to keep up with Facebook.

Video would be nice, but not a big deal for me. One thing I am waiting for is an Audible app. Remix works but it's not as easy.

I've looked at the apps in Iphone and Android and most of them I would never use. There are a couple that I'd like, but they aren't necessary.

So, I am very happy with my Pre. Does that answer your question?
    +1 ... Don't forget that web browsing is top notch on here too, especially compared to my treos (from 600 through 755p). Do I miss some capabilities from my 755p? Absolutely... Can I ever go back? Never! To me, that tells me that this phone,even in its current state, is a great phone. I just hope Palm stays on top of the updates and gets some major functionality added quickly