Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Generally good points, Tcub, but your first argument assumes that the only company that will be actively trying to improve its product is Palm.
    "Was Palm too late?"
    I would say 'No'. The iPhone is at ver 3.x, Android is at ver 2.0, and WinMo... 6.5... webOS? 1.x and despite this it still has all the features found in the more mature platforms and then some. For instance, no phone does multitasking like webOS. It has it's shortcomings now but so did iPhone OS at 1.x and Android at 1.x and certainly WinMo at 1.x... People saying they were "too late" aren't forward thinkers. This platform has a future and it will grow. Look what webOS started with and just imagine what 2.x and even 3.x will have.
    By the time webOS hits 2.0, both iPhone OS and Android could very well be at 4.0 and 3.0 respectively. Neither Apple nor Google are going to just sit still, waiting for Palm to catch up with basic features that should have been part of webOS before launch.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Since when did a Treo 680 with PalmOS do multi-tasking?
    ALL P-OS devices do multi-tasking. They do what's called cooperative multi-tasking, not pre-emptive like the Pre, and it's far more limited, but I can listen to music in the background. I can start typing an email, switch to the browser, then go back and pick up right where I was in the email. I can talk on the phone while reading an email, or looking up something in contacts.

I can't talk on the phone while surfing in the browser, though. Oh, wait, the Pre on Sprint won't do that either.

No one's going to claim a Treo can multi-task as well as the Pre, but it does multitask, and has since day 1. And it let's me choose from thousands upon thousands of applications to switch between, unlike the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Generally good points, Tcub, but your first argument assumes that the only company that will be actively trying to improve its product is Palm.By the time webOS hits 2.0, both iPhone OS and Android could very well be at 4.0 and 3.0 respectively. Neither Apple nor Google are going to just sit still, waiting for Palm to catch up with basic features that should have been part of webOS before launch.
    Aside from that, Palm seems to be struggling to get meaningful updates to 1.x out the door, much less 2.0. Where's video recording? Where is real customization? Where's a decent media player (don't point me to third party software or "patches" that break with every point release of the OS--these capabilities should be supplied by Palm.) Where's a fix to the app memory limit?

Palm needs still needs to prove it can get 1.x right, before I'm going to bank on 2.x.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    The Droid won't be anything special in 4-5 months tops. It definetly won't be as big as everyone think it will be IMO. Don't get me wrong I think the specs on the thing are effing sexy. Only the real tech junkies will get this though. The iphone is king because of how it is viewed by people. It is advertised as a cool hip phone and they dominate that demographic. That will never change and their will never be an iphone killer because of that. I think the iphone is an over-hyped expensive p.o.s personally but I know that the iphone will be around for a LONG time and the Droid in the long run will just be another (iphone killer). If the Droid would have come with a front facing camera for video conferencing , 4g radio, and OLED screen then maybe it could be considered a TRUE iphone killer.
    LOL. If what you say is true of the Droid, where does that leave the Pre, which is well behind the Droid in terms of features, capabilities, performance, and applications, and also doesn't have a front facing video camera, 4g, or OLED? And is not seen as a "cool hip" phone. The Pre is at the end of the 4-5 month period you give the Droid, so I guess it's already "nothing special."
    Last edited by meyerweb; 11/03/2009 at 07:41 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Generally good points, Tcub, but your first argument assumes that the only company that will be actively trying to improve its product is Palm.By the time webOS hits 2.0, both iPhone OS and Android could very well be at 4.0 and 3.0 respectively. Neither Apple nor Google are going to just sit still, waiting for Palm to catch up with basic features that should have been part of webOS before launch.
    Android news has been swamping the internet and I'm worried about Palm's webOS clear market future. Now this might sound totally crazy, but, I'm wondering if Palm could/would incorporate webOS intergration with the Android platform...say, best of both worlds. Anyone have any idea if that's programable possible or would such a move seal webOS fate as an OS that cant stand on its own? Wishful thinking?
    Palm could probably build the WebOS interface, or something close to it, as a skin on top of Android, but then it's just another Andriod device, albeit one with a nice interface. But if Palm is to make it, they need to put serious resources into getting caught up with the feature set of other phones. Taking resources away from that, at this point, to focus on Android would kill them. By the time they got it done, the market would have left them behind. Might happen anyway, but it's way too late for Palm to change direction. MHO.
    Bob Meyer
    Want a Droid for Work E-mail? It'll Cost You Extra (pcworld article, can't post a URL) 15$/mo extra for exchange!?!?
    I know this is more of a carrier thing, but ick.. I'm happily using exchange without a hiccup for $60/mo (15% employee discount). Perhaps it is time to re-run those TCO figures for Droid vs Pre vs iPhone (with gps nav & exchange).
    Sprint + Pre is such a bargain, I only use minutes calling voicemail since any-mobile went into effect.
    Sprint is dead! Long live Sprint!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Since when did a Treo 680 with PalmOS do multi-tasking?
    i was running TealOS on my centro...could multitask just like the pre.
    it as OS overlay that mimics WebOS

it was pretty slick..i don't think its available anymore
    google search "TealOS" there is a good writeup on engadgets about it.

in my opinion it was worth the $14.95 or whatever they charged for it

personally i wouldn't have bought it cause i was fine with normal palmOS, but i got mine free & gave it a try
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    Just a tidbit. All the Apps are avail OTA, and your paid apps get re-downloaded when you re-enter your palm profile ID and pass.

Example: Your phone goes bonkers. You WebOS Dr it back to factory condition. You log in and voila, it's all back via OTA backup and restore.
    Wow!! I did not know that. That sounds very cool. That seems a good solution (as long as you are in a coverage area).

Thanks for the info.!!!
    LOL. If what you say is true of the Droid, where does that leave the Pre, which is well behind the Droid in terms of features, capabilities, performance, and applications, and also doesn't have a front facing video camera, 4g, or OLED? And is not seen as a "cool hip" phone. The Pre is at the end of the 4-5 month period you give the Droid, so I guess it's already "nothing special."
    Actually you could argue against every one of your points besides applications and MAYBE features. In either case like I said. Yeah it's not going to be anything special in 4-5 months just like the Pre as you pointed out. I never said otherwise.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pvman View Post
    Wow!! I did not know that. That sounds very cool. That seems a good solution (as long as you are in a coverage area).

Thanks for the info.!!!
    I'm in a lot of remote areas, I hike, backpack and climb. But I am rarely in a situation that 1) I have my phone with me out of a service area (say in the mountains) 2) that I can't drive a few miles (even 10-20) to pick up coverage.

I suppose if you are in a non CDMA country you are screwed. But again, this is the exception to the rule.

In reference to another poster: Video isn't a necessity. And I cannot believe so many people use it that often. Actually I can because as photographer I cannot stand bad cell phone photos, and bad video.

You SHOULD NOT be using your phone to capture precious moments. There are MANY MANY MANY limitations to a sensor the size of a sharpie marker tip. And despite how good these cameras might be in perfect conditions, they still are very low quality compared to a nice 6-8MP digitial compact (you know a pocket camera) or a 10-14MP DSLR (still much better). As far as video forget it. A DSLR sized sensor offers some nice advantages to a 3 CCD video camera, such as depth of field reduction for artistic effect, but overall the video of a single CCD/CMOS video recorder isn't quite on par regardless of sensor size.

I had video on my last 3 phones, I used it about 10 times in several years, so I couldn't care less about (crappy) video. Personally, I'd rather see some adjustment settings for the camera. WB, flash compensation, EV comp, and image size. I do use the video to send messages to my wife, friends or family when shopping or I see something interesting. But I never expect these images to be printed or even see the public so I don't need the full 3MP. I'd love a 1MP setting, which is a nice compromise for web use. Big enough to fill a high res screen, small enough to not take up space or take time to upload/download.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    The Droid is a cool phone, a geek's dream. But how many people will want a phone that big? It looks cool as hell, and maybe the photos are misleading, but it looks bigger than first-gen Sidekick.
    That big?

Its only a few millimeters bigger than an iPhone... and last time I checked, people were fine with that phone
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Palm could probably build the WebOS interface, or something close to it, as a skin on top of Android, but then it's just another Andriod device, albeit one with a nice interface. But if Palm is to make it, they need to put serious resources into getting caught up with the feature set of other phones. Taking resources away from that, at this point, to focus on Android would kill them. By the time they got it done, the market would have left them behind. Might happen anyway, but it's way too late for Palm to change direction. MHO.

Yes, If I were PALM, , I keep improvising the WebOS.
    Doing is a skin on Android is waste of time.

But, IMO , Android is going to end up as a confusing platform with different hardwares, screens, keyboards and restricted /inconsistent features ( some allows multi touch ( pinch zoom) some don't)

Have you used browser on HTC Hero ?
    Such a mature platform .
    So much talk about Google power and PALM Obituary.
    so good this phone is. I had a race with a kid who's had his iPhone 3G longer than my Pre. We race to see who could call, take a memo, text and check their email the fastest. The droid will be just the same loss. Seriously, what else do you want out of life? Go play football or something and stop arguing which frickin phone is the best. We were the first touch screen, we were the first multi-tasker, we will always be that...FIRST. WHICH IS WHAT WILL KEEP US ALIVE! Besides, am I not the only one who sees this first pre as a rough draft. All these boards add up to something and it gives Palm the firepower to fight back. Everyphone will hit harder sooner or later so who is your carrier. Until someone defeats Sprint's everything plan, Palm will be in the right direction and don't forget Verizon will be carrying us next. So the story is, go buy a damn ickPhone or Drip. When Palm makes a better Pre, you'll be complaigning again. Good grief...pick up a damn football
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarbirdpmd View Post
    I had a race with a kid who's had his iPhone 3G longer than my Pre. We race to see who could call, take a memo, text and check their email the fastest.
    Really? You raced a kid with your phone? You should go out and play football or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbirdpmd View Post
    We were the first touch screen, we were the first multi-tasker
    Who is "we?" Palm? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Want a Droid for Work E-mail? It'll Cost You Extra (pcworld article, can't post a URL) 15$/mo extra for exchange!?!?
    I know this is more of a carrier thing, but ick.. I'm happily using exchange without a hiccup for $60/mo (15% employee discount). Perhaps it is time to re-run those TCO figures for Droid vs Pre vs iPhone (with gps nav & exchange).
    Sprint + Pre is such a bargain, I only use minutes calling voicemail since any-mobile went into effect.
    Sprint is dead! Long live Sprint!
    I read somewhere that there's a workaround for that.

"You can enable POP3 access on the Exchange server and use the $30 plan, though."

It may not be ideal but it'll save money.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I read somewhere that there's a workaround for that.

"You can enable POP3 access on the Exchange server and use the $30 plan, though."

It may not be ideal but it'll save money.
    That is easier said than done when you are in an enterprise of 5000+ employees. Client/Server department would hear me out since I work at corp-HQ but I doubt they would open that kind of a hole into the enterprise so I could save a buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    I'll take a stab at your questions.

"Was Palm too late?"
    I would say 'No'. The iPhone is at ver 3.x, Android is at ver 2.0, and WinMo... 6.5... webOS? 1.x and despite this it still has all the features found in the more mature platforms and then some. For instance, no phone does multitasking like webOS. It has it's shortcomings now but so did iPhone OS at 1.x and Android at 1.x and certainly WinMo at 1.x... People saying they were "too late" aren't forward thinkers. This platform has a future and it will grow. Look what webOS started with and just imagine what 2.x and even 3.x will have.
    When are people going to stop making this analogy.
    You do not compare Chrome (1.0) to Internet Explorer (1.0).
    You do not compare a 1990 Dodge Caravan to a 2009 Honda Odyssey
    etc...

WebOS is lacking many more features provided by those other OS's than vice versa. WebOS really has not grown very much in 6 months (6 months is a long time in today’s tech world). Nearly all of the applications/tweaks/mods that make the WebOS passable are from the "homebrew" community.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=gbp;2021881]
    But, IMO , Android is going to end up as a confusing platform with different hardwares, screens, keyboards and restricted /inconsistent features ( some allows multi touch ( pinch zoom) some don't)

QUOTE]

There are already compatibility issues with apps working on android ver.2 vs ver 1. This will get even heated when more mfg start tweaking their ver of android.

Side note: not sure why but PC World has a hatred for webOS and Palm in general.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12