Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I've been a long time developer and user of Palm. I was on my way to IPhone and AT&T change when WebOS came out ... so, I gave 1 last try.

Listen, it has nice form factor (screen is too small), it has a solid keyboard (the sliding mechanism is more wobbly than comfortable), the battery life is atrocious, the screen responsiveness is slow, it lacks the promised video, the speaker is too quiet, software is limited ... and to add the killing touch, the initial developers want $5-$10 for half working fart apps. Palms developed billing has hindered me from entering my products, as I am a single guy with a few products.

I have wanted the webOS to be a raving success ... but my son downloaded "Guitar Hero" on his Itouch. The screen is large and crystal clear (looks like a video game on other platforms), responsiveness was quick and accurate, sound was loud from speaker ... it is honestly no contest. This is more than 3 years head start ... it is a superior OS and Hardware.

BTW, if you are satisfied with saying Apple just has a head start ... get ready for Google Android to hand you your *****.

I'll take some hits from this, but WebOS has disappointed me.
    Thoe I may not be able to agree 100%, the motarola droid seems very much like a better phone in its class. However I think palm is holding on by a thread with its WebOS. I feel the simplicity of design and use is what keeps me.

But palm has been very slow to continue its development, IE; no video, flash (not soooooo bad however), more open sdk (limiting app development).

Ye have little faith left.

Edit; heres one thing I can say with certain. App Development has slowed to a crawl.
    Last edited by Klownicle; 11/02/2009 at 06:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Thoe I may not be able to agree 100%, the motarola droid seems very much like a better phone in its class. However I think palm is holding on by a thread with its WebOS. I feel the simplicity of design and use is what keeps me.

But palm has been very slow to continue its development, IE; no video, flash (not soooooo bad however), more open sdk (limiting app development).

Ye have little faith left.

Edit; heres one thing I can say with certain. App Development has slowed to a crawl.
    This droid you speak of is it the one that verizon will be comming out with.
    The Pre isn't falling behind. The Pre has been behind from the start. Only time will tell if they pull even with other phones. But, with the expanding smart phone market, Palm doesn't have to dominate to be successful.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post

Yes. I had high hopes for the WebOS platform. I was really ready to replace my old P-OS Treo. But the OS had too many bugs, and too many missing features, and the PIM apps were terribly weak in many respects, so I decided to hold off.

So far, Palm has made some reasonable inroads on the bugs, only slight progress on the features, and almost no progress on the PIM apps.

While I understand it's a "version 1" OS, it's got to compete with it's competitors today. Android's hitting version 2, and there's even more innovation by 3rd parties on top of the OS. Even worse for Palm, the number of devices available is increasing by leaps and bounds, on multiple carriers. That makes it seem more successful and desireable to the consumer. (Remember VHS vs. Beta? And Apple doesn't count: they're a special case.)

Oh, and the OP is absolutely right about the app catalog. There are a few useful apps there, but most are trivial, and real business class apps are non-existent. Every week I look at the listing of new apps posted here, and every week I wonder "Where's the beef?" No offense intended for the homebrew developers here. They're doing good stuff. But where are the companies that developed the serious apps for P-OS, WinMob, etc. ? Either developing serious apps for WebOS is harder, or more limiting, than we were led to believe, or they're not interested in the WebOS platform. Whatever the reason, the app catalog is not a plus for the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Article from Wired today comparing Droid and the iPhone: Android Army Pumped for All-Out Attack on iPhone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Despite this being an article comparing the Droid and the iPhone, they had some pretty scathing remarks about Palm at the end. I really love my Pre, and hate to see the negative media recently. I am hoping that Palm can hang on, and has an ace up their sleeve.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    While I agree with some of the OP's points - I'm not sure he will find the battery life on the iPhone any better, I certainly didn't. And as for the speaker on the iPhone - forget about it, the Pre may be low volume relative to other devices (BB Bold for example) but its a bull horn compared to the iPhone, unless of course you jailbreak and get the increase volume patch.

Back to his main point though, I agree - Palm needs to hurry up and open allow more APIs for developers like yesterday. It seems the innovation they had last year in developing WebOS just stopped. Apps are one thing but the OS needs to improve as well - additional features like favorite/integrated contacts would be a good place to start. I'm happy with the OS for my purposes but I can say I wouldn't be if I had work email set up on it - the mail app is too slow for heavy email use. Clearly some folks like the OP aren't at all happy and Palm can't afford to lose those customers.

Hardware wise a better built slide better be in the cards for Pre2.

Even given my issues with the Pre though I can say I'm happier with the Pre than I was with the iPhone, and after playing with a Hero a few weeks back I still feel I have the right device for my needs at this time.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Wow. That wired article has a whole discussion concerning smart phones and Palm isn't even a 1% player, not expected to be alive in 3 years.

That's more brutal that I thought.

Android Army Pumped for All-Out Attack on iPhone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    I have to say that after having a Pre for about 10 days now I do like it alot. I came from the iPhone 3GS of which it was my 3rd iPhone since the original and 3g. The Pre does some things much nicer than the iPhone, but it is missing a lot in terms of developers and apps.

Palm really needs to step up their game and offer updates soon and often. Apple captivates its audience by releasing frequent updates and boasting about them. The Pre needs the video camera app, facbook and some other large apps that make users from other phones want to switch. I know facebook is coming soon, but soon is not good enough. Hopefully 1.3.1 has some huge upgrades and if it doesn't I am afraid I may have to go the way of the Android.

What the Pre does, it does fairly well. It is way ahead of the first iPhone when it was launched, but it is quickly falling behind. With Verizon and the ANdroid phones, and AT&T and iPhone ther eis not a whole lot of room left for Pre.

It took me 4 visits to the Sprint store for a representative to even know about the Pre's capabilities. Before that everyone suggested I wait for the Hero with Android on it. This sort of attitude from Sprint reps is not going to make for favorable inception of the Pre or Pixi.

I have always loved the underdog as it inspires and companies do great things when they are hungry. I just hope Palm can turn it around and be full featured with everything the iPhone and Android phones have. Just give me the video camera and improve battery already.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre may be falling behind as a phone; but I believe Palm's WebOS is doing rather well as a new platform, considering that it's only been approximately 5-6 months.