Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #1  
    PowerVR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I found it interesting that the GPU in the iPhone 3gs SGX535 is faster (28 MPolys/s) that the GPU in the Pre's SGX530 (14 MPolys/s). Its incredible how the iPhone 3gs has been out for months and has the best mobile GPU chip on the market compared to alot of the phones barley being released now. I more than likely will buy a Pre but am a bit disappointed at the Pre specs sometimes.
    Last edited by migs; 11/01/2009 at 03:07 PM.
  2. #2  
    I would be more disappointed in the fact that the Pre doesn't even use its GPU. The 28/14 spec doesn't even make a difference right now.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  3. #3  
    Mobile apps won't recieve a huge performance gain on the iPhone 3GS because of this. The Pre's problem is OS optimization so the whole OS runs smoother and more fluid. Plus the fact the the Pre's GPU is NOT in use at all. If we remember back in the day when the Pre first came out the dev who ported Doom to the Pre said he ran at a higher frame rate on the Pre than on the 3GS. So what does that tell you? Palm just needs to optimize their OS and get the GPU to work at all and I think we will be fine. Other than that the specs are identical to the 3GS... TI OMAP 3... same as 3GS.
  4. #4  
    that new AMD guy better get his *** to work.
  5. #5  
    Oh and 1 more side note. the 3GS came out about a week and a half AFTER the Pre. So..... yeah... to your point about how long it was out is irrelevant because the Pre came out before the 3GS.
  6. #6  
    There are many factors that go into what devices get which components. For example, it's entirely possible that when shopping for components, Palm ran into Apple out shopping for the 3GS. Apple might have simply bid higher for a newer or higher-spec'd part, leaving Palm unable to pay a higher price.

    That's complete speculation on my part, of course, but it's one of those things we'll probably never hear about. I'm sure that if Palm could have purchased a better performing part for a profitable cost, that would fit within their power/heat constraints, and that would meet their manufacturing needs, they would have done so.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post
    Mobile apps won't recieve a huge performance gain on the iPhone 3GS because of this. The Pre's problem is OS optimization so the whole OS runs smoother and more fluid. Plus the fact the the Pre's GPU is NOT in use at all. If we remember back in the day when the Pre first came out the dev who ported Doom to the Pre said he ran at a higher frame rate on the Pre than on the 3GS. So what does that tell you? Palm just needs to optimize their OS and get the GPU to work at all and I think we will be fine. Other than that the specs are identical to the 3GS... TI OMAP 3... same as 3GS.
    It may seem irrelevant to you but apparently Palm just hired a leading graphics engineer manager for Linux Core Engineering, Matthew Tippett, so its looks like to me Palm is interested in gaming. I have seen a game on my friends iPhone called Real Racing that rivaled some console game graphics from just a few years ago. So double the polygon count should make a big difference.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's complete speculation on my part, of course, but it's one of those things we'll probably never hear about. I'm sure that if Palm could have purchased a better performing part for a profitable cost, that would fit within their power/heat constraints, and that would meet their manufacturing needs, they would have done so.

    stop being so reasonable, how are people supposed to make wild accusations and unreasonable demands about the pre and webOS when you go around making perfectly sound, well thought out comments like that.

    don't you know you are supposed to take one of two sides

    you should start by stating your opinion as fact and then either

    proclaim doom unless the heavens part,

    or deny anything is wrong, and vehemently defend the notion that everything will be awesome, always.

    common, get a clue!
    There are four lights.
  9. #9  
    probably more like palm 'unwilling' to pay the higher price.

    these newer chips probable been out there for a while and not a last minute dash to get your hands on one.

    i mean look at the pixi with their secretive yet rumored cheaper cpu with no wifi. also look at the pre and limited to 8gb.

    complete speculation on my part... but i think they had choices and knew what they were buying.

    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    There are many factors that go into what devices get which components. For example, it's entirely possible that when shopping for components, Palm ran into Apple out shopping for the 3GS. Apple might have simply bid higher for a newer or higher-spec'd part, leaving Palm unable to pay a higher price.

    That's complete speculation on my part, of course, but it's one of those things we'll probably never hear about. I'm sure that if Palm could have purchased a better performing part for a profitable cost, that would fit within their power/heat constraints, and that would meet their manufacturing needs, they would have done so.
    Last edited by donm527; 11/01/2009 at 06:33 PM.
  10. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #10  
    Why would Palm buy the faster chip if they aren't even planning on using it in the first place? It would just use more power and raise the price of the phone for no reason whatsoever.
  11. #11  
    Pre came out before the 3gs. Wasnt his whole point that the 3gs was older. This thread is a FAIL.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    that new AMD guy better get his *** to work.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Why would Palm buy the faster chip if they aren't even planning on using it in the first place? It would just use more power and raise the price of the phone for no reason whatsoever.
    +1

    Specs mean nothing if you can't use them. Would you really use the power of a Dodge Viper on the street if you had one?

    With the new hire from AMD it might be a sign of things to come but with all the new phones hitting the market now and in the next few mos. Palm had better get moving.

    Time....time.... Wish Palm had some.
  13. #13  
    Who knows what the whole deal is... they have a GPU that is as capable as the 3GS but apples SoC is samsungs which also comes with a 800mhz CPU while the Pre's CPU clocks in at 600mhz.

    So if you look at it at CPU, they didnt buy the fastest chip available. So maybe they werent gonna utilize the GPU 100% but they needed a fast CPU and that's the combo and deal they got and bought the best chipset they could afford. I think their chipset is from TI so again, who knows costs.

    Also you're never gonna get a better deal on parts compared to apple when apple can place orders in the millions.

    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Why would Palm buy the faster chip if they aren't even planning on using it in the first place? It would just use more power and raise the price of the phone for no reason whatsoever.
  14. #14  
    More like Palm used an OMAP system-on-a-chip that included the slower GPU. Apple instead has a relationship with Samsung already, and is therefore using a Samsung system-on-a-chip that has the faster GPU.

    This isn't like a desktop where you can pick and choose which CPU and GPU you want to use, it's all pre-existing systems.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    +1


    +1

    Specs mean nothing if you can't use them. Would you really use the power of a Dodge Viper on the street if you had one?

    With the new hire from AMD it might be a sign of things to come but with all the new phones hitting the market now and in the next few mos. Palm had better get moving.

    Time....time.... Wish Palm had some.
    Dude it only takes 1 gear to use all of a cars power. First gear would use all of the vipers power on the street.
  16. arsenic's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Dude it only takes 1 gear to use all of a cars power. First gear would use all of the vipers power on the street.
    What does this have to do with first gear?
  17. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Who knows what the whole deal is... they have a GPU that is as capable as the 3GS but apples SoC is samsungs which also comes with a 800mhz CPU while the Pre's CPU clocks in at 600mhz.

    So if you look at it at CPU, they didnt buy the fastest chip available. So maybe they werent gonna utilize the GPU 100% but they needed a fast CPU and that's the combo and deal they got and bought the best chipset they could afford. I think their chipset is from TI so again, who knows costs.

    Also you're never gonna get a better deal on parts compared to apple when apple can place orders in the millions.
    I recommend you spend a good 4-5 days reading Wikipedia before commenting again.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    What does this have to do with first gear?
    Well when someone says you arent gonna use all the power in the dodge viper thats BS because how do you think they dyno the car? With only using 1 gear. And usually you can redline supercars and still stay within the speed limit on a bit faster streets. Which in turn means that you're using all of the dodge vipers power.
  19. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Well when someone says you arent gonna use all the power in the dodge viper thats BS because how do you think they dyno the car? With only using 1 gear. And usually you can redline supercars and still stay within the speed limit on a bit faster streets. Which in turn means that you're using all of the dodge vipers power.
    You also would look like an ***** redlining on first gear in the middle of a city.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I recommend you spend a good 4-5 days reading Wikipedia before commenting again.
    lol. why should i? say anything wrong?

    i'm pretty sure on the specs iphone 3gs is using a cpu at around 800 mhz but running i believe around 600. and the pre has a 600mhz cpu and running around 500 or so and similar gpu. if i want exact i can google it but why bother?

    i had given a quick answer that cost may have something to do with their choice but do i think they bought a faster chip then they need? No. Because who said they are not going to utilitize the performance of the GPU.

    You want another explanation? Then maybe they picked the 'faster chip' that you say because they actually have more updates and features planned.

    do you remember video recording? that they will be providing ability to video record? hmm... maybe they'll be utilitizing the that chipset more eh? maybe try to offer video in 720 that it is capable of.

    dude, you asked a question and i gave you a sincere answer. and you come back with something stupid that i don't understand why. did i hurt you feelings in some way or insult you somehow? sorry if i did but if you had something to say about my answer then an intelligent response would have been welcomed.

    oh well. bigwood212 was right anyways... this thread is a fail. lol.
    Last edited by donm527; 11/01/2009 at 06:42 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions