Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    You also would look like an ***** redlining on first gear in the middle of a city.
    How the hell would that make anyone look like an *****?
    don't bother... he's just gonna tell ya to read wikipedia for 4-5 days before commenting again.

personally i have no problem in an occasional burn out from a light and letting the the engine breathe and her legs stretch through a few gears.

like my car, redline first gear will take you pretty close if not past 60mph and like i said, no problem if you wanna take it up there. you don't wanna keep it up there cause there is no reason to be letting the engine scream at that rpm and stress it. also, if the horsepower levels are any similar to my z06, you are past peak horsepower anyways near redline and losing horsepower. also if you are just pegging the pedal in first gear, it is kid of silly to be hitting redline cause you'll be hitting the rev limiter and your rpms will be bouncing off that rev limiter not to mention sounding silly.

It is fun though taking it to redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    How the hell would that make anyone look like an *****?
    Last edited by donm527; 11/01/2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    The iPhone and Pre have the exact same CPU. The Pre one runs at 500mhz. The 3GS one probably runs at 600mhz, but we don't know for sure.
    The iPhone and Pre have the exact same CPU. The Pre one runs at 500mhz. The 3GS one probably runs at 600mhz, but we don't know for sure.
    ok mr smarty person... i wikipedia just for you. you should do it sometime too before spouting at the mouth.

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palm Pre...
    OMAP3430 - 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

iPhone...
    3GS: Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8
    833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz
    PowerVR SGX GPU[10][11]

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maybe it would take you 4-5 days... just took me two minutes with google. you do realize you can have the same cortex a8 architecture and have different configurations including CPU speed, right skippy?
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Which, funnily enough, completely contradicts what you said earlier.

View Post
    Who knows what the whole deal is... they have a GPU that is as capable as the 3GS but apples SoC is samsungs which also comes with a 800mhz CPU while the Pre's CPU clocks in at 600mhz.
    The GPU on the Pre is NOT as capable as the one on the 3GS. The 3GS does NOT have a 800mhz CPU and the Pre CPU does NOT clock in at 600mhz.

I'm glad you were able to correct all of your mistakes with only a few hours on wikipedia.
    wow dude. i dont know what to tell you...

look at the wiki info on the TI chips... they basically are in the same family chip with Samsung probably pushing the 800 mhz version to 833 (I missed it by 33 mhz and your crying about it?).

Even though the Pre may be a step down in processor speed, it looks to have the exact GPU... looks just as capable to me.

wow dude, you're really trying to pick a fight with me over 33 mhz and the difference of 100 mhz that the palm runs compared to the 3GS. Do you understand what youre looking at?

ok dude, you are on your own. you're smarter than me.

Which, funnily enough, completely contradicts what you said earlier.

The GPU on the Pre is NOT as capable as the one on the 3GS. The 3GS does NOT have a 800mhz CPU and the Pre CPU does NOT clock in at 600mhz.

I'm glad you were able to correct all of your mistakes with only a few hours on wikipedia.
    I recommend you spend a good 4-5 days reading Wikipedia before commenting again.
    What's with the Sarcasm?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    What's with the Sarcasm?
    Ya, sorry, I just found the whining in the thread as a whole annoying.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    wow dude. i dont know what to tell you...

look at the wiki info on the TI chips... they basically are in the same family chip with Samsung probably pushing the 800 mhz version to 833 (I missed it by 33 mhz and your crying about it?).

Even though the Pre may be a step down in processor speed, it looks to have the exact GPU... looks just as capable to me.

wow dude, you're really trying to pick a fight with me over 33 mhz and the difference of 100 mhz that the palm runs compared to the 3GS. Do you understand what youre looking at?

ok dude, you are on your own. you're smarter than me.
    I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Your post made it sound like the iPhone is significantly faster than the Pre, which it isn't. Both use Cortex A8 CPUs. The iPhone one may be specced for 833mhz, but it is still the same design as the one in the Pre, which is why they are running it at 600mhz.

Cortex A8 CPUs cannot be run at faster than 500-600mhz on smartphones without using tons of power. To actually use it at a faster speed you need to use the 45nm versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    There are many factors that go into what devices get which components. For example, it's entirely possible that when shopping for components, Palm ran into Apple out shopping for the 3GS. Apple might have simply bid higher for a newer or higher-spec'd part, leaving Palm unable to pay a higher price.

That's complete speculation on my part, of course, but it's one of those things we'll probably never hear about. I'm sure that if Palm could have purchased a better performing part for a profitable cost, that would fit within their power/heat constraints, and that would meet their manufacturing needs, they would have done so.
    I doubt it. Wasn't Palm demo'ing the Pre in January at some electronics show? That would mean that the hardware specs would pretty much have to be in place by then. Of course that can be a problem in that it gives your competitors a chance to include better hardware in their upcoming products before your product is finally released. That's one reason Apple tries to keep a lid on any of their product updates.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I doubt it. Wasn't Palm demo'ing the Pre in January at some electronics show? That would mean that the hardware specs would pretty much have to be in place by then. Of course that can be a problem in that it gives your competitors a chance to include better hardware in their upcoming products before your product is finally released. That's one reason Apple tries to keep a lid on any of their product updates.
    It doesn't work that way. It takes years to actually get a phone out the door. Apple was probably already working on the iPhone 4G before Palm even announced the Pre.

Just look at how old their CPU designs are. ARM had developed Cortex A9 way back in 2006, and we only just 4 months ago actually got devices with Cortex A8, and A9 won't be running on actual devices until 2011. It is very different from Desktops and laptops where they can get a new product out the door in a few weeks or months.
    As far as the first gear on the Viper, we are there now on the Pre. We just need the other chip to be opened so we can go to second.

Also as far as the "i" being faster. The Pre would be faster when it's full chipset is utilized since the OS is more streamlined. If you try to run an instruction set on a chip and run one with a slightly slower chip but with more simplified instructions the slower could be faster for the same result. The Pre OS is more simplified and open source. End result is it will just get faster and faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    As far as the first gear on the Viper, we are there now on the Pre. We just need the other chip to be opened so we can go to second.

Also as far as the "i" being faster. The Pre would be faster when it's full chipset is utilized since the OS is more streamlined. If you try to run an instruction set on a chip and run one with a slightly slower chip but with more simplified instructions the slower could be faster for the same result. The Pre OS is more simplified and open source. End result is it will just get faster and faster.
    Um, no? iPhone's OS is PERFECTLY optimized to its hardware down to the most basic levels. WebOS isn't built to take advantage of any hardware in particular, and it's still first-gen and riddled with bugs and unoptimized processes. If and when Palm actually finishes WebOS and begins to use the GPU, Apple will already be on much faster hardware with new OpenGL drivers and an even more optimized OS. Hiring one guy from AMD several months too late will not even begin to come close to matching the hardware acceleration Apple utilizes.

It's not just about speed anyway. Flick scroll a web page on Pre and flick scroll one on iPhone or the HTC Hero. You get checkerboarding galore as the Pre browser struggles to render quick enough, while Safari and the Hero Webkit browser render the page fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's not just about speed anyway. Flick scroll a web page on Pre and flick scroll one on iPhone or the HTC Hero. You get checkerboarding galore as the Pre browser struggles to render quick enough, while Safari and the Hero Webkit browser render the page fully.
    Having spent quite a bit of time with all three phones, I agree with you that the iPhone is the best optimized for its hardware. But I disagree with you re: the checkerboarding. IMHO, the Pre & iPhone perform commensurate with the network that they're on. If you put them both on wifi, they both checkerboard about equally. But both the iPhone and the Pre do a better job of handling this than does the Hero.

Now, I'm not trying to defend the Pre here. Of those 3 phones, my preference order would be
    1. Hero
    2. iPhone
    3. Pre

But that doesn't mean that the Pre is worse in absolutely everything compared to those phones. It does some things better, some things worse, and some things equally. Checkerboarding has not been an issue that I've had with the Pre.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    This simply is not true. I have had 3 Pre phones, all of which checkerboarded even on the MOBILE version of this forum. That is every iteration of WebOS since launch.

My Hero, which I have used identically and am typing this post on, has yet to do it on any web page I have visited. Not once.
    This simply is not true. I have had 3 Pre phones, all of which checkerboarded even on the MOBILE version of this forum. That is every iteration of WebOS since launch.

My Hero, which I have used identically and am typing this post on, has yet to do it on any web page I have visited. Not once.
    The Pre's browser does it by design, to reduce CPU usage.
    Well...we wouldn't want to tax that poor little Cortex A8 processor.
    You are welcome to have a different experience than I've had. What you can't do is tell me that I didn't experience what I did. Because AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $weren$'$t$ $there$. $Frankly$, $I$ $wish$ $that$ $the$ $browser$ $experience$ $I$ $had$ $on$ $the$ $Hero$ $was$ $as$ $good$ $as$ $the$ $experience$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$, $because$ $as$ $I$ $said$, $I$ $prefer$ $the$ $Hero$. $But$ $from$ $my$ $testing$, $the$ $Hero$'$s$ $browser$ $is$ $a$ *$LOT$* $slower$ $than$ $the$ $Pre$'$s$ $browser$.

YMMV.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Well when someone says you arent gonna use all the power in the dodge viper thats BS because how do you think they dyno the car? With only using 1 gear. And usually you can redline supercars and still stay within the speed limit on a bit faster streets. Which in turn means that you're using all of the dodge vipers power.

A dyno pull is performed in 4th gear...so yes, it's done in one gear...you can't redline a super car on the streets. You'll kill someone or yourself. In 1st or 2nd gear it's just going to be a smoke show...if you get into 3rd or 4th and tach it, you'll be going way to fast for the streets...
    Well...we wouldn't want to tax that poor little Cortex A8 processor.
    Considering it's also handling all graphics Wouldn't want to tax your logic too much either.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast