1.    #1  
    I recently was making sure that I copied all my apps and data to my T-615, when i noticed that there was a missing application. Now I don't know why but "Expense" doesn't come included with the T-615. I was able to copy it of the rom from my 710c. But I am wondering why not incude it. I thought it was a standard part of the Palm OS 3.5 and 4. Could Palm may be pushing Sony to be more recreational so Palm can be aassured dominance in the business/enterprise arena. Or is palm coming out with a professional version of the T-series?
    Last edited by mikedemo; 02/03/2002 at 10:18 AM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Expense is one of the most useless applications you will find in a PalmOS device. There are much better applications that can handle checkbooks and credit cards. I really think they did very well in ereasing that useless applicaitons.

Another useless application is the original DateBook. I reallly don't know why Handspring includes it together with DateBook+. I don't think someone will prefer the old one.

Todo is not bad, but again there are much better applications.

MemoPad is becoming useless, now that WordSmith can handle all.

I guess I'm glad they included newer applications and got rid of some useless ones.

Al
    MD,

Try Spalsh Money, Quick Budget, or BankBook. The only real advantage to expense is the syncronization w/ Excel. The ones I mentioned above have either a one- or two-step synconization with Money and Quicken.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    The exclusion of Expense has been noted before. In fact, it is not included on any of their newer handhelds. The S360 does not have it either.

As for the included apps being useless, I hardly find that true. While all the main PIM applications have more robust third-party solutions, most people purchase a Palm for the apps included. It is usually only after some use and research that a user begins to realize the third-party options that are available. Most first time buyers are way more concerned with what a PDA can do out of the box than what it can do if they spend another $200.00 on software and accessories.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    The exclusion of Expense has been noted before. In fact, it is not included on any of their newer handhelds. The S360 does not have it either.

As for the included apps being useless, I hardly find that true. While all the main PIM applications have more robust third-party solutions, most people purchase a Palm for the apps included. It is usually only after some use and research that a user begins to realize the third-party options that are available. Most first time buyers are way more concerned with what a PDA can do out of the box than what it can do if they spend another $200.00 on software and accessories.
    Very true, the built-in apps are fine. Though I never used Expense or any other money tracking app. As for the FOUR core apps, they're good, but they're are great alternatives out there. It took me sometime to find ActionNames, AddressBookR, Four.Zero, and Wordsmith as their replacements. I had to try a lot, and pick what worked best. You have to do that for a lot of things. And most people don't go through the trouble or have the money to find replacements, so they stick with what they have. Which is a good set of apps .
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the great responses guys. I got some responses at PDABuzz as well. Seems like Palm my have axed "Expense" from their newer devices as well. Expense was an ok app, but could have done more.

As far as Datebook+ goes, Iv'e already put it on my T-615. despite the fact that I get an error prompt warning me to reset, I continue and it still works fine. Minor annoyance to me
    -Mikedemo
    I used Expense a lot when I first got my VDX; it's all I really wanted to do, finance-wise, with my PDA. My only complaint was, no custom categories.

After playing around with a lot of "Expense+" apps, that had a lot more than I wanted, I went and got SplashMoney. True, it also has tons of features that I don't want; but it's basic interface is simple enough to replace Expenese.

It's worked very well for me, and I recommend it highly -- but it's got a lot of capabilities I've never used. (Particularly if you have Quicken.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    As far as Datebook+ goes, Iv'e already put it on my T-615. despite the fact that I get an error prompt warning me to reset, I continue and it still works fine. Minor annoyance to me.
    Hey, mikedemo, how did you manage to get Datebook+ on your T615? I love that app and I would really appreciate if you gave me a hint. Thanks in advance...
    I don't think you can get Datebook+ onto your Clie. You'll have to buy Datebk3 or Datebk4, by the same author.

Datebk4, while complex, really shines on the Clie.

Rolando
    Originally posted by Rolando
    I don't think you can get Datebook+ onto your Clie. You'll have to buy Datebk3 or Datebk4, by the same author.

Datebk4, while complex, really shines on the Clie.

Rolando
    Rolando, you are incorrect. It isn't that hard to get Datebook+ onto another device. I gave it to a friend who had an m500.

The method of copying locked ROM prcs has been known for some time (years?). Please don't state things that you aren't sure of. ^_^

Datebk4 IS of course much better, but then some people do not need the extra functionality (or increased size).

-Trotsky
    Datebook+ is licensed by Handspring. If you want that functionality on another PalmOS device, you should buy Datebk3.

I did know that one is technically capable of beaming it to another device, but rather than state "while you CAN do, you shouldn't," I decided to stay quiet on the subject. I don't want to be accused of advocating something illegal.

Take care,

Roland
    Last edited by Rolando; 02/04/2002 at 09:38 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by dentateck

Hey, mikedemo, how did you manage to get Datebook+ on your T615? I love that app and I would really appreciate if you gave me a hint. Thanks in advance...
    e-mail me and I'll tell ya. VC might not like me posting it here.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by Rolando
    Datebook+ is licensed by Handspring. If you want that functionality on another PalmOS device, you should buy Datebk3.

I did know that one is technically capable of beaming it to another device, but rather than state "while you CAN do, you shouldn't," I decided to stay quiet on the subject. I don't want to be accused of advocating something illegal.
    If you're copying it to YOUR own new upgraded device, then it should be okay. Because you BOUGHT the previous Visor, and that entitles you to ALL the software on it. If you give it to other people, then that's another story...
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    If you're copying it to YOUR own new upgraded device, then it should be okay. Because you BOUGHT the previous Visor, and that entitles you to ALL the software on it. If you give it to other people, then that's another story...
    Well, if the programs are 'locked', then no. You're entitled to all of the software _on_it_. IOW, on that particular Visor and not on any other PalmOS machine. Granted, the chances of your getting prosecuted or sued are probably pretty slim, but I'm sure that the licenses for ROM apps are granted only for use on the Visor with which they were sold.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    Well, if the programs are 'locked', then no. You're entitled to all of the software _on_it_. IOW, on that particular Visor and not on any other PalmOS machine. Granted, the chances of your getting prosecuted or sued are probably pretty slim, but I'm sure that the licenses for ROM apps are granted only for use on the Visor with which they were sold.
    But don't you technically buy the software the hardware comes with? The price of a PDA INCLUDES the price for Sony, Handspring, or Palm to develop the OS and its apps. Like when you buy a PC, some of the money goes to Microsoft and their developers. You're not entitled to use the software for your OWN purposes? I think they lock it so you can't delete it from ROM and screw things up...I dunno, just don't get caught...hehe...
    nelson.hsieh
    But don't you technically buy the software the hardware comes with?
    No, technically, you only buy a license to use that software under certain circumstances (which I'm sure includes it still residing on the hardware it came with).
    The price of a PDA INCLUDES the price for Sony, Handspring, or Palm to develop the OS and its apps.
    Sure, but that doesn't change the terms the software is licensed under.
    Like when you buy a PC, some of the money goes to Microsoft and their developers.
    Yes, and they set the licensing terms for this software differently than the versions they sell over the counter.
    You're not entitled to use the software for your OWN purposes?
    Not if the license isn't set up that way.
    I think they lock it so you can't delete it from ROM and screw things up...I dunno, just don't get caught...hehe...
    That's not it because you can't delete things off the Visor's ROM anyway.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    But don't you technically buy the software the hardware comes with? The price of a PDA INCLUDES the price for Sony, Handspring, or Palm to develop the OS and its apps. Like when you buy a PC, some of the money goes to Microsoft and their developers. You're not entitled to use the software for your OWN purposes? I think they lock it so you can't delete it from ROM and screw things up...I dunno, just don't get caught...hehe...
    You do not own the software, you license it. That is why you must agree to the license agreement in order to legally use the software. That also means that the way you use the software is subject to that license agreement.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2