1.    #1  
    Has anyone dealt with trying to use the 615 with Windows NT OS? I assume that the USB cradle would not work and there doesn't seem to be serial cradle available.

I sent the question to SONY customer service 2-3 weeks ago but they haven't responded.

The salesperson at Comp USA said something about a "Service Pack 6" that could be downloaded from the Microsoft website to make WinNT work with USB but I'm sceptical and also doubt our IT department would start customizing my secretary's computer.
    WinNT does not (and will never) support USB, SP6a or no. I think I've heard that a serial cradle from the S320 will work with the N610C.

Or you can do what I do: I IR sync to a laptop and have it forward (network hotsync) to my NT machine. Kinda jiggy but it works. Of course, I guess you could get and IR port (serial I guess) for the NT machine. IR is very slow but it works.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by Jupe
    WinNT does not (and will never) support USB, SP6a or no.
    Yup.

However, someone over on ClieSource just mailed away for a serial hotsync cable for the T-series Clies from Japan. He (or she) (or it)) has promised to post about whether the cable works or not.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Brando makes a serial cable for the Clie. $22 plus $3 shipping, I believe. It appears to be one cable that will work for all Clies.

As to a cradle, I think any Clie cradle will work. They just don't match the look. Try one at a local store and see.

Rolando
    Originally posted by Rolando
    It appears to be one cable that will work for all Clies.

As to a cradle, I think any Clie cradle will work. They just don't match the look. Try one at a local store and see.
    Actually, you are incorrect. The new T-615 and T-415 use a totally different hotsync interface than all previous Clies. They cannot use cables, cradles, keyboards, or ANY accessories that connect to the hotsync point that was from any previous model Clie.

In other words: the N710, N760, N610, S300, S320, and S360 can share usb/serial cables, keyboards, and cradles since they have the SAME hotsync interface, BUT the T-415 and T-615 must have their own since they have a newer, different interface.

I know you meant well, but please don't give advice if you aren't sure of the information - it could cause someone to spend money needlessly. ^_^

-Trotsky
    Sorry. I was told so by the guy at the store (CompUSA).

Since I don't have one to test, I can only choose to believe or disbelieve. He sounded very technically savy on the issue.

Plus, I said "think" and "test" in my post.

Also, another look at the Brando one DOES show that they only work for N and S models.

Sorry for any confusion.

Rolando
    Sorry. I was told so by the guy at the store (CompUSA).
    Never believe what the sales associates at CompUSA or BestBuy tell you. Really.

Just one example: When I was considering buying a CLIE N710C (this is before the 760, before SONY offered an upgrade, and before the 'illegal' upgrade was available) a BestBuy sales associate told me that I could just apply the Palm, Inc OS4 upgrade. I told him I didn't think that would work because the hardware was so different (hires screen, jogdial) but he insisted!
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    In other words: the N710, N760, N610, S300, S320, and S360 can share usb/serial cables, keyboards, and cradles since they have the SAME hotsync interface, BUT the T-415 and T-615 must have their own since they have a newer, different interface.
    Exactly. (Same reason the Stowaway Keyboard for the N/S-series Clies won't work with the T-series Clies.)

However, it's possible that the new serial hotsync cable being discussed over on ClieSource, which is built specifically for the T-series, was from Brando. I believe it was imported from Japan, not China, but I wasn't paying a lot of attention.

I'll see if I can find a URL to the rumored T-series serial hotsync cable off of ClieSource, and post it here.
    Jeff Meyer

First, there's a japanese company, pocketgames, that is selling a serial Hotsync cable for the T-series here -- but the web page is in Japanese. I believe this is the one that someone on ClieSource is ordering to try out.

Also, there was a note on ClieSource that the Brando site was going to have a T-Series serial hotsync cable by Feb. 1st -- but as you can see, they haven't started selling it yet.
    Jeff Meyer

10.    #10  
    Finally received this reply from Sony:

"Thank you for contacting SONY.

SONY does not support the Windows NT operating system for any of our CLIE
    Handheld models. This Windows NT limitation is not due to the USB connection
    requirement (Windows NT does not provide USB support). SONY product testing has
    indicated that using the optional serial cradle connection will not permit
    functionality under the Windows NT platform. At this time SONY has not announced
    plans to develop support for the Windows NT environment for the CLIE. The serial
    cradle will only work on the S300 and S320.

NOTE: CLIE models featuring Audio Software (OpenMG, RJB and
    Audio Player 2.0) and Image Software (PictureGear Lite 4.3
    and gMovie) support USB only and can not be supported via a
    serial port connection regardless of the cradle or Windows
    Operating System used.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance."

So despite previous suggestions about possible serial cable connections, it looks like a resounding "NO" to using the 615 with Win NT.
    Originally posted by BobK
    So despite previous suggestions about possible serial cable connections, it looks like a resounding "NO" to using the 615 with Win NT.
    Well, I was pretty sure programs like MS Import/Export wouldn't work for a serial connection; but from reports over on ClieSource and elsewhere, I had understood that standard hotsyncing would work, despite what Sony had to say. (Standard hotsyncing definitely works with NT and a serial cradle with the N-series Clies).

However, I have no direct knowledge of serial/T-Series hotsyncing, and don't want to mislead anyone. But I would recommend a bit more research before completely counting it out. Sony said the same thing about the N-Series and the serial cradle.
    Jeff Meyer

ClieSource has a number of people reporting that they're synching their T615Cs with NT via a serial hotsync cable from www.pocketgames.jp. Here's a link to the product.

And here are a couple of links to the ClieSource threads discussing this:

One
    Two
    Three

There are others, but those were the major ones. However, I still have not tried this myself (don't need to these days -- new computer), so I can't speak from actual experience.
    Last edited by bookrats; 03/14/2002 at 10:31 AM.
    Jeff Meyer

I sync with NT via IR every day. Obviously, the hotsync portion works fine. I can even use the new "install directly to Memory Stick" feature.

I can't mount the MS as a drive, etc. Those advanced features, require USB, apparently.

Serial should work fine for hotsyncing, as well. My IR port shows up as a serial port on my laptop, so I'm guessing that there's some sort of emulation going on behind the scenes.

Rolando
  14.    #14  
    Appreciate all the responses and links...knowing others can make it work is reassuring.

Curious that Sony seems clueless about availability of serial cables, guess they're selling so many 615s that they don't need to do a little homework to help people using NT.

When I finally give up on HS joining the hi-res color world, or my Deluxe case finally cracks all the way through, I'll join the Clie crowd.
    They are not clueless about serial, they just want to elinate the calls associated with saying that they support it.

The extra features don't work with serial or IR, so rather than continue to field calls about them, they simply say that they don't support it.

Rolando
    The extra features don't work with serial or IR, so rather than continue to field calls about them, they simply say that they don't support it.
    Exactly. While more advanced users, like the folks who frequent VC, would understand something along the lines of "you can hotsync but not do X, Y or Z with a serial port, on NT", it would probably lead to a lot of explanation for Sony support, and a lot of footnotes on the Clie product sheet regarding which OS's they support.

And since the serial sync cables that allow this to work aren't even made by Sony, they turn a blind eye to it. Frankly, I don't blame them.

Perhaps a better response from Sony would be, "We've heard of 3rd party serial cables that only allow hotsyncing, but we haven't investigated whether they work or not."
    Jeff Meyer