Thanks for the post. Does anyone have any idea when the Zaurus will be released? The info on some of these links suggest February 2000, but the Sharp site only says early 2002. I note there are a couple of the developer models, the 5000, for sale on E-Bay. But these only have half of the memory of what will be released to the public, and presumably the software will be tuned up some before release for sale.
    I still wonder how the Zaurus will do against the competition. The iPAQs can already run Linux, and PPC and PalmOS are already standards. There are only so many of us power users that will switch...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by BillC
    Thanks for the post. Does anyone have any idea when the Zaurus will be released?
    Sharp has not officially announced a release date. Word amongst Zaurus developers is March, but I think it's going to depend on when Sharp decides that the software is finally where they want it to be in terms of features and quality. Also note that Sharp and Trolltech (makers of the Qtopia application framework and most of the built-in apps) are sponsoring a development contest for Zaurus apps that ends March 4. The purpose of the contest is to have a library of third-party apps readily available when the Zaurus is released, so it wouldn't make much sense to release before that date.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    I still wonder how the Zaurus will do against the competition. The iPAQs can already run Linux, and PPC and PalmOS are already standards. There are only so many of us power users that will switch...
    Actually, older iPaqs can run Linux, but the latest (3800) series can't (yet). And Linux on the iPaq won't get you the same set of bundled commercial software (notably Java and Opera and possibly Hancom mobile office) that you get with the Zaurus. Not to mention that from a hardware standpoint, Zaurus integrates more hardware features into a single well designed package than any other PDA I've seen. Well integrated hardware features do sell PDAs - Sony's success in the PalmOS market is proof of that.

Will Zaurus convert many Palm users? Probably not since it doesn't even attempt to target the PalmOS market. The Zaurus is aimed squarely at the top eschelon ($500+) of the PDA market - which is a step above even the top of the line Clies. Zaurus' competition are the high end PocketPCs and possibly ARM based Palm devices (though we still don't have any idea what the specs for those will be or where they'll fit in the market).
    Hey Dave!
    Just got a CF module with your software loaded for my Edge! It works great!

As for the Zaurus, it will have heavy competition in that high-end power user market. It's hard to convert someone whose already bought a $600 machine and accessories, to buy another one. Then again, you never know, guys like that have money to burn. It'll probably come out as a great PDA, but won't sell because of the OS, price, and other factors. *sigh* just like Apple. Better product and OS, but too high price, and no one knows about it.
    nelson.hsieh
    Hey Dave!
    Just got a CF module with your software loaded for my Edge! It works great!
    Cool Be sure to check out the FlashAdapter-forum for tips and tricks and answers to any questions you may have.

As for the Zaurus, it will have heavy competition in that high-end power user market. It's hard to convert someone whose already bought a $600 machine and accessories, to buy another one.
    Actually, the life expectancy for the high end PDAs is probably shorter than the low end stuff. People who buy at the top of the food chain aren't afraid to upgrade. Expecially if their PDA is a business tool that they can write off (or better yet get the company to purchase). Just look at the rapid progression of iPaq, HP, and Casio models.

It'll probably come out as a great PDA, but won't sell because of the OS, price, and other factors. *sigh* just like Apple. Better product and OS, but too high price, and no one knows about it.
    I think the Mac folks might take issue with those statements Actually, Macs do sell ... they always have. They don't sell in anywhere near the numbers that Wintel boxes do, but so what? Success != world_domination (unless your name is Bill Gates).
    Originally posted by dkessler
    I think the Mac folks might take issue with those statements Actually, Macs do sell ... they always have. They don't sell in anywhere near the numbers that Wintel boxes do, but so what? Success != world_domination (unless your name is Bill Gates).
    I'm a Mac user myself, and I love Apple! Macs do sell, but 5% market share is not significant. It's enough for success, but unless Sharp has the brilliance of Jobs, which they don't, they won't stay in for long. It's always nice to have more toys to play with...
    nelson.hsieh
    I'm a Mac user myself, and I love Apple! Macs do sell, but 5% market share is not significant.
    Since when? If the desktop computer market is 100M units per year (probably a conservative estimate), 5% is 5 million Macs. At an average price of $1000 per (also conservative), that's 5 billion dollars in revenue. Maybe the world has changed, but in my book 5 billion dollars is very significant.

It's enough for success, but unless Sharp has the brilliance of Jobs, which they don't, they won't stay in for long. It's always nice to have more toys to play with...
    I don't follow your logic. If a product is successful (i.e. earns a significant profit for the company), why won't it stay? The only reason to kill a product is that the expense of continuing to make and sell it exceeds the revenue from sales of the product. As for the "brilliance" of Jobs, you might want to look up "Apple Lisa" or "Next" (the original - not what it mutated into) as two shining examples of Steve Jobs "brilliance". It isn't "brilliance" that keeps Apple going, it's being smart enough to accept a limited market share and giving those people what they want so they'll keep coming back. Give me one good reason why Sharp (or any other company) shouldn't be able to do the same if they try
  9.    #10  
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6553340334.html
    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/sharpimg.html

Also I read its to be released in March for around $550 for the 64MB consumer version.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Just going thru my mail and saw the Sharp Zaurus SL 5500 listed in the PC Connections catalog for $549.00. Has the consumer version 64 mgs.

Went to the website: www.pcconnection.com but could not find it listed.

the product # listed in print is/was #297630