Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For what its worth, they seem pretty skeptical of the Droid too.

Droid: Motorola's Savior Or Google's False Profit? by PC World: Yahoo! Tech
    Just make money. Being profitable and innovation are the keys to long term growth. Let Droid come just as the Hero before it. It shouldn't matter unless the next hardware out of Palm is excactly the same as the hardware before it.
    In terms of the market at large, Palm IS insignificant. Neither iPhone nor Android nor Blackberry is the least bit concerned about them, nor should they be.

That doesn't equal death. Even a successful Pre launch with tons of apps and fully utilized hardware wouldn't change this in four months on one domestic carrier. But WebOS 2.0 and the next model had better be on multiple carriers, and it had better be amazing.

If not, it's a wrap or acquisition.
    Palm will be quietly sticking around. They've got a great OS, some slick hardware, and a loyal user-base, which really can't do anything but expand.

We're good, guys. Don't worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Palm will be quietly sticking around. They've got a great OS, some slick hardware, and a loyal user-base, which really can't do anything but expand.

Uh, that's not what their balance sheet says.

I mean, it's fine to be optimistic about their future, but if you think Palm loyalists can keep the company afloat in its current form...think again.

There's a reason they bet the entire farm on a NEW OS, NEW form factor, and NEW strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post

I was gonna say the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In terms of the market at large, Palm IS insignificant. Neither iPhone nor Android nor Blackberry is the least bit concerned about them, nor should they be.

That doesn't equal death. Even a successful Pre launch with tons of apps and fully utilized hardware wouldn't change this in four months on one domestic carrier. But WebOS 2.0 and the next model had better be on multiple carriers, and it had better be amazing.

If not, it's a wrap or acquisition.
    Your competition is always significant. And if you're not concerned you're company is rounding the non existence corner.

Both Apple and Rim care that Palm is costing them market share , very insignificant but still money gone.

IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Your competition is always significant. And if you're not concerned you're company is rounding the non existence corner.

Both Apple and Rim care that Palm is costing them market share , very insignificant but still money gone.

IMHO
    Palm is costing Apple and RIM marketshare?

Excuse me?
    People have been predicting the death of Palm for 20 years, funny none of them ever revisit their predictions 1, 2 or 5 years later when Palm is still around.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    true
    Last edited by jabou; 10/31/2009 at 10:46 AM.
    The article isn't predicting their death, and neither am I exactly.

As the editors of this very site noted today, the tanking stock price is just making them more attractive for acquisition, and that's the most likely fate for a company with so much product on the market and an OS that's just begging for more development resources.
    I think android and the iPhone will be the big dogs for a long time. Palm has some big catching up to do and it seems their plan to copy the iPhone strategy is not working. Itunes and google maps shows that they are at the mercy of the higher two. Native apps are needed. A lot of piggy backing going on right now. There is nothing unique to palm except web os ability to multi task. Frankly that not gonna be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabou View Post
    in the spring pre had its moment now Android is having their moment in the sun....then iphone will release a new version and it will be the "it" phone again. soon after that pre 2 will come out and everyone will talk about how palm is back again setting a bar higher than android and iphone... then android 3 will come out and everyone will say "wow" this is the killer phone... then iphone will release their next model people will say wow this can't be beat.... then pre will have a new model soon after and every one will say woooh this is amazing then android will release a new version and.... wash rinse repeat....if you're into phones enjoy caise this is a great time to sit back and watch the innovation and how these companies keep moving the bar higher and higher.
    It is indeed a great time, but WebOS on a different form factor isn't going to have the impact of Android 2.0 and the Droid or iPhone 4.0 or whatever.

You have to remember Google and Apple have HUGE teams of development resources adding a lot of features to their major releases. Palm has a sliver of a fraction of the resources. And they're busy with bugs. There is no way they'll be able to make WebOS 2.0 anywhere near as feature rich as their competitors.

Just an unfortunate fact of their current reality.
    The article isn't predicting their death, and neither am I exactly.

As the editors of this very site noted today, the tanking stock price is just making them more attractive for acquisition, and that's the most likely fate for a company with so much product on the market and an OS that's just begging for more development resources.
    You make a good point, and I didn't mean to imply that you were predicting Palm's death. David Coursey is one of many journalists in the trade press that like to garner attention by being anti-anything.

Actually, getting bought out has saved Palm before, and might not be a terrible thing again.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    While palm does not have the same number of people working on the development team, they are acquiring big name people, and condensing a lot of resources. If they can get their GPU up and running, the phone's battery life will increase, it will be smoother, and, big and here, if they produce a better SDK allowing for non-html/css/javascript apps to be run, they will be more than competitive with android, the iphone and rim.

All the pieces are there. They are just not all put into place yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    People have been predicting the death of Palm for 20 years, funny none of them ever revisit their predictions 1, 2 or 5 years later when Palm is still around.
    Palm is still around but really in name only. The current Palm is really an Apple offshoot. OTOH Android is really not in the same league as the iPhone or RIM but they are starting to look like they could grab the number 3 spot. Googles recent problems with Apple may have encouraged them to step up their Android investment but strong multiple carrier support is key to success if you are not Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    strong multiple carrier support is key to success if you are not Apple.
    Exactly what Palm needs to do now. Pre on verizon next Jan will be huge.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Just an unfortunate fact of their current reality.
    true that, great point and i agree. what if the rumors are true and palm sells itself or licenses out it os to nokia? nokia knows how to build hardware but the os is outdated. plus they are super huge everywhere but in the usa. palm can then focus on building upon the webos software backed by the very deep pockets of nokia?
    this way palm can focus on its niche in the middle between the super simple iphone os and android. what do you think?

to clarify my middle remark, my dad is an average cell phone guy looking to upgrade to some bells and whistles. he played around with my pre and got it and thought it felt very fluid while my wife's g1 android was too much headache for him with all the menu buttons, back buttons, holding this button to find apps that were open, figuring out how to close apps etc. (i like the android but like i said he's an average cell guy like the majority of mobile users.perhaps its this middle where palm can find success. idk)
    You have to remember Google and Apple have HUGE teams of development resources adding a lot of features to their major releases.
    I don't have a reference to it, but the teams are actually very small. They just happen to work on mature systems.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabou View Post
    nokia knows how to build hardware but the os is outdated.
    Nokia has Maemo. It's not outdated at all. It's actually the most advanced smartphone OS is some ways (It runs full regular flash right now, no waiting for Adobe to do some magic to get things working on each individual smart-phone OS).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast