Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Palm will be quietly sticking around. They've got a great OS, some slick hardware, and a loyal user-base, which really can't do anything but expand.

We're good, guys. Don't worry.
    Pretty much sums it up, thumbs up!
    That's funny. I was one of Palm's most loyal customers dating back to the early Palm Pilot days. But I've jumped ship to Android because webOS is a major downgrade from PalmOS when it comes to PIM. And when I've complained about this, I frequently am told on this forum that Palm doesn't care about PIM anymore, and that I'm no longer in Palm's target market. What good is a loyal user-base when the company turns away from the product features that attracted that loyal user-base in the first place?
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Maybe I am misinformed, but the PIM apps on the Pre seem to outclass those of any other platform. Just playing with android devices, I found that their PIM apps looked pretty stale, RIM is the same story. Thats not to say that the execution has been perfect, but as far as design goes, I think WebOS outclasses the rest.

Droid still won't let you have multiple email accounts in one inbox like BB/Palm do. The calendar, while somewhat laggy(I don't notice it TBH) and lacking in features works very well WRT syncing to Google and it looks really nice.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Your competition is always significant. And if you're not concerned you're company is rounding the non existence corner.

Both Apple and Rim care that Palm is costing them market share , very insignificant but still money gone.

IMHO
    Never happened - Palm's US marketshare stuck at 7% after the release of the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Maybe I am misinformed, but the PIM apps on the Pre seem to outclass those of any other platform. Just playing with android devices, I found that their PIM apps looked pretty stale, RIM is the same story. Thats not to say that the execution has been perfect, but as far as design goes, I think WebOS outclasses the rest.
    Sorry, you are quite misinformed. RIM's PIM apps may look a little old fashioned but they are very functional. With the demise of PalmOS. they may well be the best PIM apps of any SmartPhone OS on the Market. I suspect that WM and Nokia's S60 also have better PIM apps.

I agree that Android's PIM apps aren't too impressive, neither are Apple's.
    PIM apps that ship with Android 2.0 are at least the equal of the ones on WebOS, and Maemo 5's PIM blows the Pre out of the water. Competitors are getting into the "synergy" game, and they're doing it far better than Palm.

This leaves the Pre with the distinction of having the least functional PIM applications of any smart phone on the market. They're slick, they're glossy, but if you actually try to use them for any length of time, you learn that they're slow, limited, and annoying.

Agreed that RIM's apps are ugly (like the rest of the platform) but very functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Hanging around, making handsets, and making a profit will not suffice for Palm. Just look at the App Catalog. There are virtually no major technology or non-technology companies represented. And that's with the benefit of Pre-hype since last January. You would have thought that Bank of America or any major bank would have seen fit to throw together some kind of web-app but 7% marketshare (probably 2/3 of that are Treo's and Centros) doesn't cut it.

Existing but insignificant may be charming to some. Hey, I actually saw a couple people using Newtons over the past decade so ther'e's always hope.
    Lexi-comp is releasing their medical software on the pre. For those of us in the medical profession this is big news.
    Go to Amazon.com cell phones bestsellers chart right now....pre is the #2 phone there and its been #1 or 2 for the past week...

Do a twitter search for "palm pre" right now you will see plenty of "I just got the pre" posts...

obviously palm is not dead or insignificant the pre is selling... it will find its audience... the word of mouth in the streets is growing when I take out my pre lately I've been hearing alot of "wow you got a palm pre!!" comments from regular non techy folks...theres plenty of people in this world who are not smartphone freaks like us...we go on the internet to post on a phone forum... most people are not like us...
    Palm for life...I don't care what everyone else does, Palm has always done exactly what I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Go to Amazon.com cell phones bestsellers chart right now....pre is the #2 phone there and its been #1 or 2 for the past week...

Do a twitter search for "palm pre" right now you will see plenty of "I just got the pre" posts...

obviously palm is not dead or insignificant the pre is selling... it will find its audience... the word of mouth in the streets is growing when I take out my pre lately I've been hearing alot of "wow you got a palm pre!!" comments from regular non techy folks...theres plenty of people in this world who are not smartphone freaks like us...we go on the internet to post on a phone forum... most people are not like us...
    Thats the damn truth anyone who knows cell phones wants a palm pre badly. I heard it everywhere.
    What else do you expect from a David Coursey article? He disses the Pre and Palm every chance he gets so much you'd think that Jon Rubinstein slept with Coursey's wife or ****ed in his Cheerios.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Thats the damn truth anyone who knows cell phones wants a palm pre badly. I heard it everywhere.
    So why is the market share flat in an expanding market?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So why is the market share flat in an expanding market?
    four month old platform on a single provider vs. a year plus old platform on multiple providers...still a drop in a bucket and may not show up on a market share graph.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Never happened - Palm's US marketshare stuck at 7% after the release of the pre.
    I strongly disagree. Palm's market share was declining steadily for years. Where did the lost marketshare go? Apple and RIM were the likely benefactors. The Pre brought the slide to an end. By stabilizing the decline, no more lost marketshare went to Apple and RIM. Translation? Apple and RIM lost potential converts = lost revenue.

I'm not saying it was a significant loss of revenue but a loss nonetheless.

Now that the slide is over, Palm needs to gain some traction by spreading out to more carriers.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I moved from a BB to the palm Pre, and will most likely be moving to an Android device.

I realize I am an early adapter and know what that means. But, if they can't get their PIM apps up to par and don't start utilizing their hardware (the new hire from AMD is very exciting) I will be moving on to Android. Also, voice search. Windows Mobile has had Voice Search via their Live Search, Android has it via a google tool, in my eyes this is another necessity. Voice command for the GPS navigation would be awesome as well, not a fan of touching the phone while I am driving.

So, RIM did lose at least a micro fraction of share to Palm....
    palms future is obscure at the moment. yes they need to do things that the previous phones did, and did well. hell my palm tx did many of the things that the pre can not do at this time. I have a few issues with the phone, mainly i need docs to go, and a complete wireless or wired sync. Cloud is fine, if the "cloud" goes down for even an hour, i loose money, big time. I have no problem if it goes down, so long as i can fire up my laptop or my netbook and continue working as if nothing had happened at all. presently its a pain in the *** to sync this stuff, just my two cents worth. o

ohhh ya,, and a paid app store for us canadians would be real nice too..
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I strongly disagree. Palm's market share was declining steadily for years. Where did the lost marketshare go? Apple and RIM were the likely benefactors. The Pre brought the slide to an end. By stabilizing the decline, no more lost marketshare went to Apple and RIM. Translation? Apple and RIM lost potential converts = lost revenue.

I'm not saying it was a significant loss of revenue but a loss nonetheless
    This is like saying that every phone manufacturer is "taking marketshare" from RIM and Apple because they sell more than zero units of their handsets to their customers who might've switched.

Look at the balance sheets of Palm and then look at the balance sheets of RIM or Apple. Which one do you think is "losing" anything?

I mean, seriously...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12