Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Motorola DROID review

It sounds like a very nice phone, but not the God-Phone some have made it out to be here in comparing to the Pre.

I wouldn't switch, I'm happy with my Pre, but what really has me drooling is that massive resolution.

But still, it sounds like it adds a lot of the polish Android so desperately needed, in my opinion. I have to agree with the article though that some of the design decisions do sound weird to me (no multi-touch, no weather widget even though the dock does weather, etc.) and it's a shame that apparently they haven't improved the music and phone apps as much as they did everything else.

Sounds like a very competitive phone though, which is good for everyone as far as I'm concerned, and has it's pros and cons just like every other phone out there.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    There is no wow factor. It seems to do what it says and that's it. I'm definitely not interested in the DROID...
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    It's a nice phone, but without multitouch the browser is a bit handicapped.

But don't read the wrong lesson from this. In very short span of time Android is turning into a VERY good platform. They can now support multipl exchange accounts (something only the Pre could before) and have integrated views of messages.

Give it another 6 months and it will be a very powerful platform with plenty of apps and lots of distribution.

It will put lots of pressure on palm to innovate, which is really good for us. Once the Pre/Pixi are liberated from Sprint's shackles I would expect a big pick up in app development too.
    Still one ugly phone.

Yeah, lots of features. Many which most people have no use for. People complain about the pre's lack of memory. But who cares. I use the thing as a communications device first, and everything else can be streamed. My main music device is a rockbox'd sansa, and my main camera is, well, a camera.

That said, palm needs to focus on the communications end of things more. Google contact and calendar sync are unreliable at best (I still lose contacts and calendar entries between online and the pre depending on which way the wind is blowing). If the blackberry can do it with a 3rd party app, why can't WebOS get its built-in, and marketed selling point right? It's frustrating. I don't care about the camera and media players beyond streaming shoutcast and video. This thing is a phone/pim first, so it really needs to be reliable with contacts and calendars first and foremost.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    i love my pre. and if some one asks me what phone comes second to the pre. its not the Droid for sure. it loks so ugly for me. although its windows mobile i like the HD2 for the beast that it is.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    In very short span of time Android is turning into a VERY good platform.
    Sorry, I have to take exception to that. The first Android device was released a year ago, but Android was unveiled two years ago, and the original project was acquired by Google in 2005.

Don't get me wrong, I know webOS has a long background before it was unveiled in January as well. But, I have to agree otherwise, hopefully next June the Pre users here can look back and see as much progress as Google / Android has made in the one year devices have been on the market. I disliked Android on the G1, but it's gotten a lot better, it seems.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/30/2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Straight f'n UGLY!!!
    Man...I agree! That thing is freakin ugly!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    In the review, they commented on how the Pre's browser is still slightly faster than the Droid.
    I like reviews by Josh, and Engadget in general. They don't gloss over the little things like lags, unexpected behaviors and ease of use. Still, I keep in mind that their audience is mostly gadget freaks and it's a bit light on PIM.

I think he put it succinctly when comparing the iPhone and the Droid. The Droid needs to catch up on polish and speed, but the iPhone needs to catch up on contact integration.

Will Google Experience devices ever support multi-touch? It's the same as the G1 from what Josh describes. Even the double tap doesn't quite work, as if they deliberately crippled the algorithm to avoid infringing on Apple's patent. I'm sure custom ROMs will enable multi-touch though.

It will be interesting to see how Apple gets around the contact integration problem. To my mind, this requires a degree of openness and dependence on external services which Apple will be loath to introduce into the iPhone; though, conceivably, they could route all of this through MobileMe.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  11.    #11  
    They've got another post with more impressions from other writers:

More on the DROID: thoughts from the rest of Engadget

Sounds like almost all of them are disappointed in one way or another. And the keyboard sounds pretty similar to the q9c's keyboard (especially with the mushiness) which I hated myself:

I have to lead off with the physical keyboard, which I think is a disaster. The rows aren't offset, the keys are too small and spaced too closely together, and whole thing just feels like one huge mush. Coming from a BlackBerry Curve 8900, I found the DROID's board to be essentially useless -- especially because there's no error correction to help with the inevitable errant keypresses.
    Finally a phone where function wins out over form. Ever since the first iPhone (including the first iPhone), the theme of new smartphones seems to be form first, function last. Droid's focus on function has caught my attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    (no multi-touch, no weather widget even though the dock does weather, etc.).
    Wait a sec, The Droid website says it Does multi-touch, it's not click-able like the others are probably because they're still working on it but the Droid does have it apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They've got another post with more impressions from other writers:

More on the DROID: thoughts from the rest of Engadget

Sounds like almost all of them are disappointed in one way or another. And the keyboard sounds pretty similar to the q9c's keyboard (especially with the mushiness) which I hated myself:
    OTOH There was this in the orignal review:

"The sound on the DROID is second to none -- really. In fact, this is simply one of the best sounding devices we've ever used. Whether it's audio through the loud (but undistorted) earpiece, or a speakerphone call -- even music -- the sound which Motorola's device outputs is crystal clear. Now, obviously Verizon's reception has something to do with our in-call sound, but it's likely Moto put some thought into the aural aspect of the phone. There's not really much to say except that we were more than pleased with the audio fidelity of the DROID, and we can only hope that future phone makers (ahem, Apple) look to this device as a high water mark in this department."

And of course there is that screen:

"a full glass display with a WVGA resolution clocking in at a handsome 480 x 854."

which is going to be a huge advantage for Web browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Finally a phone where function wins out over form. Ever since the first iPhone (including the first iPhone), the theme of new smartphones seems to be form first, function last. Droid's focus on function has caught my attention.
    I'm beginning to agree with you. While I do enjoy my pre, you make a great point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think it has a functional aesthetic, but it actually isn't!
    I'm not sure where the function over form is coming from here. The biggest eye grabber to me is the large high res screen. I'm sure more will have this in 2010 though so its no reason to go nuts over yet.

Other than that, its a similar chip, camera, subpar landscape kb (hate those), etc.

Android 2.0 itself is nothing earth shattering. It still has a ways to go to catch up.

I think it's easy to lose track of what matters. How easy to use? How much tweaking is needed? One handed use? Does it still not have a browser equal to what was on the first iphone? Easy way to manage or acquire media? 3rd party apps that can add functions or features? Easy way to manage these apps?

Apple nails most of what i need though it still lacks in some areas. I expect a higher res screen and some form of coverflow multitasking and better unobtrusive notifications this summer. Their biggest constraint is integrating this while keeping the UI user friendly.

I suspect Apple could've made it happen already, but prior iphones don't have the horses to support it. They had to get the iphone 3GS out first. That and the next new iphone should be fine with multitasking.

Bottom line, a year from now, all this criteria of what makes a good smartphone will have changed. Better resolution will become standard, free google nav, some form of synergy, etc. Multitasking won't even be mentioned because they'll all have it.

It'll boil down to apps, ecosystem, quality of hardware, usability, carrier restrictions & prices.
    according to the podcast josh reiterates unequivicably that the verizon droid Does NOT multitouch. A south american version will.
    There's a lot of complaining in Android forums about ongoing internal storage limits, currently 256m for apps. The Droid does not solve this problem.

This is a curious limitation everywhere except on the iPhone. Some say it's an anti-piracy design. We see this on the Pre as well with the use of a limited hidden partition.

If anti-piracy is indeed the motivation, I think it comes down to having a mountable file system.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $cannot$ $mount$ $an$ $Iphone$ $as$ $a$ $USB$ $drive$. $Is$ $USB$ $mount$ $forcing$ $apps$ $into$ $limited$ $hidden$ $storage$?

Apple's approach of using iTunes to sync everything to the device makes much more sense in this light. Other devices fall back to USB without the use of proprietary software.

We can call it "closed" but I think it's a big driver for developer adoption. Of course, there is still piracy so whether it's all worth it is debatable.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    OTOH There was this in the orignal review:

"The sound on the DROID is second to none -- really. In fact, this is simply one of the best sounding devices we've ever used. Whether it's audio through the loud (but undistorted) earpiece, or a speakerphone call -- even music -- the sound which Motorola's device outputs is crystal clear. Now, obviously Verizon's reception has something to do with our in-call sound, but it's likely Moto put some thought into the aural aspect of the phone. There's not really much to say except that we were more than pleased with the audio fidelity of the DROID, and we can only hope that future phone makers (ahem, Apple) look to this device as a high water mark in this department."

And of course there is that screen:

"a full glass display with a WVGA resolution clocking in at a handsome 480 x 854."

which is going to be a huge advantage for Web browsing.
    Again, not saying that it doesn't have advantages, but they all seem to have at least one disappointment with the thing. Like I said, it sounds like a very good phone, but not nearly as good as the hype (like most products).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast