Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the main reason Android disables multitouch is because Apple has a patent on it.

I remember seeing videos of the G1 (the first android phone), where someone easily found a way to uncomment a block of code (remember, since it is open source you can see it all), and by doing so, it enabled multitouch. I have watched several videos on youtube showing this off.

Still, I wouldn't even go through the trouble. I don't need multitouch. As long as the double tab works well, I rather double tap than pinch my fingers together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the main reason Android disables multitouch is because Apple has a patent on it.
    As long as the double tab works well, I rather double tap than pinch my fingers together.
    Actually the double tap is not the same as on the iPhone or Pre. I'm not sure what it's doing but it's never quite aligned to the column. It's clunky.

But lets look at the big picture. Why can Palm do it and Google can't? I can see two reasons. First, Palm has its own patent portfolio which it can use to counter sue. So you can chalk it up to Palm's historic advantage which Google doesn't have.

Second, Google still depends on Apple's good will and can't get too confrontational. Apple has lots of customers Google wants to reach with its apps and it doesn't want trouble getting apps to the App Store.

Here again, Palm's independent position brings tangible advantages. These need to be accounted for when comparing product lines.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  3.    #23  
    What I've been reading is that "Google Experience" Android devices don't have multitouch, and the rest can if they want.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I would like to say that the Droid doesn't look that great, but my Palm Pre has an annoying oreo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    but my Palm Pre has an annoying oreo.
    just like every slider!

people never complain about their kitchen cabinet drawers having an oreo effect.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I would like to say that the Droid doesn't look that great, but my Palm Pre has an annoying oreo.
    Too bad for you. Mine doesn't have it. =)
    Mine certainly does....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12