Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I sold my pre for a hero about 2 weeks ago, and omg that phone kills me. DONT GET THE HERO. it is so slow and the keyboard sucks and idk how to explain it but the OS just isn't clean! i rebought a pre and i must say i am sooooo happy it feels so good. do not give up this phone honestly palm webOS is so smooth and amazing compared to the other OS's in the market right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdabest9 View Post
    I sold my pre for a hero about 2 weeks ago, and omg that phone kills me. DONT GET THE HERO. it is so slow and the keyboard sucks and idk how to explain it but the OS just isn't clean! i rebought a pre and i must say i am sooooo happy it feels so good. do not give up this phone honestly palm webOS is so smooth and amazing compared to the other OS's in the market right now.
    Your check is in the mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Your check is in the mail.
    Ya dood. Who d'you think you are, coming on to a Pre site and saying you prefer it over the hero.

Way to keep the riff-raff in line!!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    welcome back!!!

and i tell u that i knew people were going to b back to the pre!!!

frankly i thought they will be back after 1.2 update but not so early
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ya dood. Who d'you think you are, coming on to a Pre site and saying you prefer it over the hero.

Way to keep the riff-raff in line!!
    No kidding. Isn't it the function of this forum to provide a medium for disgruntled consumers to vent their spleens? Moderators, please delete this thread. It's way too positive about the Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    It was time for me to get a new phone (previously Instinct...Yuck) and I initially picked and ordered the Hero. The Hero is a very good phone and definitely a great first android phone for Sprint. The phone does just about everything and it does it really well. I have an iPod Touch and think the virtual keyboard on the Hero was pretty close to the iPod in terms of accuracy, but overall beats the iPod keyboard due to the Hero keyboard's extra features (auto complete library, hold to change key value, etc.).

Unfortunately, the Hero is plagued with a few bugs that affect how it sleeps or lack there of. The first one which is pretty much across the board is the default sms app initiates the dialer process and it locks and keeps the phone from sleeping. You really don't even know its happening unless you use some program/battery apps to look at your running programs and which are keeping your device in the "wake" state. Good thing is that there is a work around by installing and using a 3rd party messaging app. However, for me even after implementing this fix a day or two later my device was recording 100% wake state, but this time nothing showed to be the culprit. At first I thought it was a display issue, but the battery drain proved that to be wrong. I then did a factory reset and only added the 3rd party messaging app, thinking that maybe another app i installed was causing it, but I was wrong and the problem re-appeared the next day.

Since I couldn't wait for fix from HTC, I decided to try the Pre. I originally considered the Pre, but picked the Hero for three reasons:

1. App catalog. Android > WebOS
    2. Wasn't sure I would like the physical keyboard. Especially since I like to browse in landscape.
    3. Reported build quality issues.

After owning and using the Pre, only issue number 1 still stands. The keyboard is surprisingly nice and I like it much better than the virtual keyboards on both the Hero and the iPod. The build quality, at least initially seems to be very solid and I love the Pre's look versus the Hero.

Both are great phones, but the Pre is going to be the winner for me. I'm not a hardcore user, and use my phones for talking, messaging, browsing, and pictures and Pre handles all of that really well (especially during the birth of my son yesterday). As for the issue of apps... I still have the iPod Touch and ofcourse the huge app catalog that comes with it and if I need wifi I can always use mytether on the Pre.
    Even the people who went from the iphone to the Hero complain about the Hero's keyboard. Thats how you know just how bad it really is.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Even the people who went from the iphone to the Hero complain about the Hero's keyboard. Thats how you know just how bad it really is.
    Yeah the iphone has a suprisingly good on screen keyboard. The hero uses the same keyboard that they include in their Touchflo software for their Windows Mobile phones. It does a decent job, but definitely not on the same level as an iphone touch screen keyboard.

That being said I still prefer actual buttons to a virtual keyboard.
    Ya I picked up the Hero to and I'm back with the pre. The Hero for me anyway is just to busy and it seems like things are way to hard to find. Can't stand the fact that you can't really close any apps unless you download programs which still sucks even with the programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
    It was time for me to get a new phone (previously Instinct...Yuck) and I initially picked and ordered the Hero. The Hero is a very good phone and definitely a great first android phone for Sprint. The phone does just about everything and it does it really well. I have an iPod Touch and think the virtual keyboard on the Hero was pretty close to the iPod in terms of accuracy, but overall beats the iPod keyboard due to the Hero keyboard's extra features (auto complete library, hold to change key value, etc.).

Unfortunately, the Hero is plagued with a few bugs that affect how it sleeps or lack there of. The first one which is pretty much across the board is the default sms app initiates the dialer process and it locks and keeps the phone from sleeping. You really don't even know its happening unless you use some program/battery apps to look at your running programs and which are keeping your device in the "wake" state. Good thing is that there is a work around by installing and using a 3rd party messaging app. However, for me even after implementing this fix a day or two later my device was recording 100% wake state, but this time nothing showed to be the culprit. At first I thought it was a display issue, but the battery drain proved that to be wrong. I then did a factory reset and only added the 3rd party messaging app, thinking that maybe another app i installed was causing it, but I was wrong and the problem re-appeared the next day.

Since I couldn't wait for fix from HTC, I decided to try the Pre. I originally considered the Pre, but picked the Hero for three reasons:

1. App catalog. Android > WebOS
    2. Wasn't sure I would like the physical keyboard. Especially since I like to browse in landscape.
    3. Reported build quality issues.

After owning and using the Pre, only issue number 1 still stands. The keyboard is surprisingly nice and I like it much better than the virtual keyboards on both the Hero and the iPod. The build quality, at least initially seems to be very solid and I love the Pre's look versus the Hero.

Both are great phones, but the Pre is going to be the winner for me. I'm not a hardcore user, and use my phones for talking, messaging, browsing, and pictures and Pre handles all of that really well (especially during the birth of my son yesterday). As for the issue of apps... I still have the iPod Touch and ofcourse the huge app catalog that comes with it and if I need wifi I can always use mytether on the Pre.
    Congrats on your son! You kind of snuck it in there, almost missed it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ya I picked up the Hero to and I'm back with the pre. The Hero for me anyway is just to busy and it seems like things are way to hard to find. Can't stand the fact that you can't really close any apps unless you download programs which still sucks even with the programs.
    From what I'm seeing, outside of a more touch-friendly UI, Android really reminds me of Windows Mobile in how it handles running apps, config, etc. I could be wrong, but that's my impression so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdabest9 View Post
    Welcome back to the Pre world. People sometimes seem to not realize that every phone has its quirks. The Pre is not perfect and of course it would be nice to have all the best features of every phone built into it. Every little feature is criticized against another phone when we're taking for granted what our phones do well.

I know, I know...text forwarding would be nice. Would you not get a phone for the sole reason of not having it? (BTW, people on this forum are strangely obsessed with forwarding text message)

Did people not buy the Iphone when it didn't have MMS or a video recorder? No, so why should we steer people away from the Pre because it doesn't have a few arguably important features?

The Pre is a cool phone with a cool OS in its early stages.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    which version of android was on your hero
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Did people not buy the Iphone when it didn't have MMS or a video recorder? No, so why should we steer people away from the Pre because it doesn't have a few arguably important features?
    I think you're right that it's easy to be overly critical. I also think you're right that we take for granted what works well, and tend to only focus on what doesn't work well. And I find that the way I compare two pieces of technology is not by what they do well. But instead by how aggravating each is relative to the other.

So the question I have w.r.t. the Hero is: Will I be more aggravated by the Hero's shortcomings or the Pre's? And I find myself very very aggravated by the Pre's shortcomings. (BTW, SMS forwarding isn't one of them. There's a patch for that. It works well.)

Here are my Pre gripes:
    1. Way too slow. The OS can lag so much that I can see the phone is ringing, and I tap the answer button, but the OS is too busy to actually answer the phone and the call goes to voicemail
    2. The Calendar is unusable (see this)
    3. Tasks is bad - no recurring tasks?
    4. Battery life
    5. Can't listen to WMA files/streams

Of that list, #1 & #2 are by far the biggest frustrations for me.

I fully understand that considering the Hero does not mean getting rid of the list. It means swapping in a different set of things. But I won't know if that different set is more or less aggravating to me unless I try. Additionally, it helps a little to read other's experiences. But they may assess different importance to different things. So what is more aggravating to them may not be to me.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    ^^^^
    I use the calendar without issue. This is relative. You should change you statement to it is unusable for you.

WMA? Really?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post

The Pre is a cool phone with a cool OS in its early stages.
    I believe the reason why people complain is because the iPhone came out, what three years ago and this is today. The Pre should compete favorably with current phones, not phones that are three years old. You're right, the Pre is a cool phone and I really like my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    No kidding. Isn't it the function of this forum to provide a medium for disgruntled consumers to vent their spleens? Moderators, please delete this thread. It's way too positive about the Pre.
    holy scrap dat was funny..
    Yeah, my latest Pre broke a week or so ago (power button stopped working) and I was so fed up (I've lost count of how many Pres I've been through) I went out and bought the Hero.

I've used the Hero for a while now and I've got to tell you it destroys the Pre on features and functionality. There's just so much you can do on Android that you can't do on the Pre (and I haven't even gotten around to rooting the Hero yet). The Hero also destroys the Pre on available applications and beats the Pre in battery life and build quality. The Hero's "widgets" are also a very nice way to see at a glance what's going on in your world and allow you set up your own customized "Home" screens. There is no analogue to that on the Pre and it's actually quite nice. Even the apps on the Hero that the Pre also has have way more features on the Hero. For example, Google Maps on the Hero has Lattitude, Street View, walking directions, transit directions and other stuff the is missing on the Pre. Also, the Hero can handle micro-SD cards up to 32MB so as far as capacity the Hero beats the Pre. And there are little things that are nice on the Hero like real LEDs, the video camera and the trackball.

But the Pre beats the Hero hands down when it comes to looks, elegance, simplicity and keyboard. I guess I'm getting old because aesthetics are becoming more and more important to me and the Hero and Android do not compare to the Pre and WebOS when it comes to beauty and elegance. And of course no virtual keyboard can match a physical keyboard so the Pre wins hands down there too. The Pre's screen is also far superior to that on the Hero, the Pre displays video much better and the Pre's 3MP camera beats the Hero's 5MP camera in quality of photos handily. I like the Pre's web browser (with my user agent patch) a little better than the Hero's though they're both good.

Despite what people may say here multitasking on Android is much more pervasive than it is on the Pre. There's always lots of stuff running in the background and it's much more the norm for apps to do things in the background than it is on the Pre. But on Android it's difficult to see what's going on without a third party task manager (fortunately there are many good ones) but the Pre's built in task manager (the card metaphor) is very, very nice from a user perspective. Because of all the apps and widgets the Hero has running there are always a lot of processes running even immediately after startup before you've even done anything! If the Pre ever had as many things running as the Hero when it's doing "nothing" the Pre would be unusably slow, bogged down and running out of memory. So I'd definitely have to say that the Hero beats the Pre when it comes to the ability to smoothly multitask, but the Pre beats the Hero when it comes to giving you a simple and elegant way to control the multitasking.

Both devices are very good as phones when you have good signal (including having decent speakerphones) but the Hero is better at pulling in a signal when you don't have all bars. The Hero's speaker is slightly louder and clearer also. The Pre has a better phone interface in my opinion and is more usable. It's a toss up because they are both very good.

So as others have said both the Pre and the Hero have their pluses and minuses.

The Hero is way better in functionality, applications and customization. If you're someone more interested in getting things done than looks than you're going to like the Hero. The Hero is not a bad looking phone but it's rather generic looking. But because of all the things the Hero does and can do it is far more complex than the Pre and can be very intimidating if you're not ready to dive right in and learn how to wrangle it.

The Pre is way better in aesthetics and the keyboard. If you're interested in doing a few things well and having a device that turns heads and even makes iPhone users jealous with its looks then the Pre is what you want. The Pre's simple yet beautiful interface is very soothing. I know that's a weird thing to say but using the Pre is a pleasure even if its functionality isn't as deep as it could be.
    Last edited by clipcarl; 10/30/2009 at 06:42 PM.
    the pre rocks .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yeah, my latest Pre broke a week or so ago (power button stopped working) and I was so fed up (I've lost count of how many Pres I've been through) I went out and bought the Hero.
    We all feel destroyed.

Does that mean you're finished here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast