Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been trying to like the Droids design. Which is the only thing that it seemingly fails horribly at. The thing just looks so damn cheap and tacky though. It looks like a freaking GPS handheld system. If it was on Sprint this wouldn't stop me from buying it, considering the spec's seem extremely nice but im sure an Android 2.0+ phone for Sprint can't be more then 4-5 months away tops considering the amount of them coming out.

agreed.

iDon't have interest in this phone.
    We'll have to see more pics and how it looks in person.

I thought the first released pics made it look plain but the more pics i see and read more about it... hear it's a heavy phone... metal and glass... and seeing the cool phone stand/dock. might not be a super sexy phone but might be a good looking phone... hopefully a solid and quality feeling phone and the OS is going to be very interesting.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    +1
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought the Droid just didn't do it in the looks department. I'm sure someone will come out with some compelling designs soon.
    I'm sorry but I just don't see this phone's mass appeal. Sure it has great specs but its just running android with no overlay (sense, blur, etc.). I'm not trying to put it down or anything, I guess I've just never really like android. Yes I know its running 2.0 but come one. Android has been out for a little over a year now and it seems like everyone has cut the platform so much slack in comparison to webOS. In my opinion, it has looked unfinished up until 2.0, which adds a lot in terms of UI.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Android has been out for a little over a year now and it seems like everyone has cut the platform so much slack in comparison to webOS. In my opinion, it has looked unfinished up until 2.0, which adds a lot in terms of UI.
    Agree 110% with this statement.
    Agree, features sound hot, phone looks like dog ****
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    It may look ugly but u know that phone is a BEAST !
    yea this phone is ugly....i was checking out Cnet video with Bonnie Cha previewing the thing and man this droid looks huge in her hands...she does have little hands tho...

but its a big phone you might as well get a netbook

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I couldn't care less how ugly it is. The specs are enough to make me fall in love.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Android has been out for a little over a year now and it seems like everyone has cut the platform so much slack in comparison to webOS.
    That's because the original Android OS was more functional than WebOS is now. It's funny how more people are willing to overlook a little form to get function ... while fewer people are willing to overlook function for pretty.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Agreed...love the specs but wow it is ugly as sin. Hopefully Palm will see the specs as a real threat (which they are) and the Pre 2 or whatever they call the next gen device will see some strong spec increases too.
    Does it matter? Half the time, people then throw it in a case so what's the point of how it looks?

I bought the iphone based on what it does. Personally, it's looking a bit dated but it's pretty solid and reliable. Fits well into docks or mounts. Fingerprint magnet though.

The Pre on the other hand fits well on its touchstone which really shouldn't be used in a car. Mounts for it suck. As does the USB door. To me, that's ugly design. For a phone that offers free sprint nav, Palm was and still is nowhere to be found to promote an in-car solution.

This Droid? It looks pretty good to me. Thin, big high res screen, slide out kb, fits well into docks, metal, and even has car mounts designed for it.
  15. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's because the original Android OS was more functional than WebOS is now. It's funny how more people are willing to overlook a little form to get function ... while fewer people are willing to overlook function for pretty.
    I think the iPhone sales figures disprove that! To Joe Public, looks are EVERYTHING...
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    I think the iPhone sales figures disprove that! To Joe Public, looks are EVERYTHING...
    Help clarify please: Are you claiming the iPhone is non-functional or are you saying the iPhone is pretty? It's possible to be functional AND pretty, you know.
  17. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Help clarify please: Are you claiming the iPhone is non-functional or are you saying the iPhone is pretty? It's possible to be functional AND pretty, you know.
    I'm saying that the iPhone is a lot less functional than some phones on the market - certainly in that price range, but this is overlooked by most people as the aesthetics and public perception of the phone are more important. The device lacked many basic features that a phone from the late 1990's had, yet has sold by the million since its launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    I'm saying that the iPhone is a lot less functional than some phones on the market - certainly in that price range, but this is overlooked by most people as the aesthetics and public perception of the phone are more important. The device lacked many basic features that a phone from the late 1990's had, yet has sold by the million since its launch.
    Multitouch browser, high res (for that time) capacitive glass screen that used fingers to navigate, solid quality, ipod functions, all factored into making the first iphone successful. Just one button. (try to keep in mind there was nothing out there like the iphone at the time)

This wasn't about looks and just hype. It wasn't even a smartphone because it lacked apps. But many traded in not having features or apps for the experience. Make no mistake, it was the experience of using the few features done well that won people over.

When 3G hardware and app store hit, the iphone really took off. So much for looks..
    Droid looks like the guys that designed the bottom half measured wrong, the thing just looks ugly with that non-chin chin on the bottom. As far as the OS goes, I've heard for years how WinMo is not as polished but is soo much more powerful, well same goes for Android and I'm sick of it. WebOS is slick and responsive enough to be at the top of my list. Iphone's OS is starting to look very dated quickly tho I have to add.
    How is the Droid a beast? It has a similar chip to the iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre.

From Engadget review:
    "Inside the DROID beats an Arm Cortex A8 CPU (a 600MHz, OMAP3430 chip downclocked to 550MHz), 256MB of RAM, and 512MB of ROM. If that CPU sounds familiar, it should -- it's similar to the chip inside the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre."
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast