Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    How is the Droid a beast? It has a similar chip to the iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre.

From Engadget review:
    "Inside the DROID beats an Arm Cortex A8 CPU (a 600MHz, OMAP3430 chip downclocked to 550MHz), 256MB of RAM, and 512MB of ROM. If that CPU sounds familiar, it should -- it's similar to the chip inside the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre."
    I was just going to post that. The Pre has the same internals using the same OMAP3430 chip.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I was just going to post that. The Pre has the same internals using the same OMAP3430 chip.
    That IS true but from my understanding the Droid has a dedicated GPU clocked at 430mhz which leaves its OMAP3430 to do everything else. This would in turn make it significantly more powerful then the Pre or 3GS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    That IS true but from my understanding the Droid has a dedicated GPU clocked at 430mhz which leaves its OMAP3430 to do everything else. This would in turn make it significantly more powerful then the Pre or 3GS.
    The OMAP3430 chipset includes the GPU. The Pre and iPhone 3GS have the same one. The Pre apparently isn't taking advantage of it yet. Do we know for sure Android is using GPU acceleration?

Also, according the Engadget review of the Droid it is sluggish at times. Sounds like the Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The OMAP3430 chipset includes the GPU. The Pre and iPhone 3GS have the same one. The Pre apparently isn't taking advantage of it yet. Do we know for sure Android is using GPU acceleration?

Also, according the Engadget review of the Droid it is sluggish at times. Sounds like the Pre.

Yeah I AM aware all/most mobile cpu's have on-die GPU's but was reading about the droid having a separate dedicated GPU I know it
    uses the SGX if I'm not mistaken. I may be wrong but I swear I read this somewhere. I'll link it when I come across it again...might be wrong tho.
    I dont think the droid is ugly at all... I think verizons prices are ugly though and it sucks its not multitouch... No pinch zooming or anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Yeah I AM aware all/most mobile cpu's have on-die GPU's but was reading about the droid having a separate dedicated GPU I know it
    uses the SGX if I'm not mistaken. I may be wrong but I swear I read this somewhere. I'll link it when I come across it again...might be wrong tho.
    As far as I can tell from the specs listed for the Droid, it is using the onboard PowerVR GPU.

IMO I think using a separate GPU when you have a perfectly good one onboard is not smart money wise and size wize for the phone.
    Oh, the Droid... there's so much conflict what people want it to be.

There's Moto, who designed it as a hard-edged slate of a phone, and Verizon who asked for it to be softer, giving us the current "almost brick" design. And then there's the goofy extension at the bottom... Why not either get rid of that, or, if it's essential, extend the screen portion down? It looks tacky and like an afterthought. And Android 2.0, upgraded as it may be, is still ugly. WebOS and Mobile OS X have it beat by light years.

So strange.
    Phugly....my thoughts EXACTLY. I wouldnt carry this phone if someone paid me
    I bet 99% of the people saying it looks "cheap and ugly" have never seen one in person. Personally I don't care what my phone looks like. I do care what it FEELS like, and many reviewers say the Droid feels "substantial" and "well-built". It's made out of metal, not plastic like the Pre which many reviewers say feels flimsy and cheap.
    What's nice about Droid is that its the best Android phone out now. It finally caught up spec wise with 3GS and Pre, and it has one feature we now want on our phones (Google Nav).

The problem is when Google drops its next OS update will the droid handle it. Snapdragon and Flapjakes, funnel cake or whatever they call the next Android is like around the corner, and from the Engadget review with Joshua, 2.0 seemed laggy on the Droid, faster than other Android phones but still laggy.

And lastly its big and sideboard keyboards are for geeks and people that treat their phones like laptops. I think if the Droid was all Screen and thinner it would be a real competitor to the iPhone even though Android still feels like a magnificent remake of Winmo me.
    even though Android still feels like a magnificent remake of Winmo me.
    That's pretty much my thought. Though it's got some google that people love, the UI might be a bit too much for the masses. This is something Apple understands and even Palm gets. In fact, Palm needs more credit for making multitasking so user friendly. That alone may be worth acquiring palm.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I think that the pre is under appreciated in that people over look it, I love the keyboard. The droid doesn't look very comfortable to type with like I find the pre to be. I'm a teenager who texts a lot and I find it to be my favorite. I think that besides the nice camera, the droid is over exaggurated, and the pre has way better potential than all other phones because of the way the OS is designed. I think that palm is going to slowly implement features into the pre to keep it alive for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's pretty much my thought. Though it's got some google that people love, the UI might be a bit too much for the masses. This is something Apple understands and even Palm gets. In fact, Palm needs more credit for making multitasking so user friendly. That alone may be worth acquiring palm.
    I'm glad someone agrees...people get hissy fits when I say this. They act like they can't see the similarities between the two (Winmo and Android). Regarding an acquisition, Android and WebOS in one would be unstoppable!
    I think the phone looks awesome as well.

I will be placing my pre-order at Best Buy later today (hopefully).
    double post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    I dont think the droid is ugly at all... I think verizons prices are ugly though and it sucks its not multitouch... No pinch zooming or anything...
    The WALLPAPER used in all the ads are ugly. I've seen one review that used a different wallpaper and the Droid looks REAL GOOD.

Verizon plan prices are the ONLY thing that is keeping me from returning my Hero and getting the Droid.

Edit: I just have to wait for the HTC Dragon or something similar to come to Sprint.
    To me I think the droid looks beautiful. The screen ress and clarity are top notch. Those web pages displayed awesomely.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Anyone aware of the Pixi's specs compared to the Pre's? How it'll handle multitasking, etc.
    Well its slower but I cant imagine it being much different as far as multitasking. Probably near the same.
    its a moto. hahaha Yeah its FUgly IMO
    SCK Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast