1.    #1  
    Sadly, I feel that Web-OS' future is pretty bleak. Not because it's a bad platform or anything. I'm just starting to doubt the ability of the market to fully support 4 or 5 competing smartphone formats.

And what about the developers? It's not fair for users to expect them to churn out 4 or 5 different versions of same app when they can just focus on a couple (yes, iPhone and Android) and make money.

Instead it just occurred to me what if Palm built an Android device with their spin on it; such as Sense by HTC...

Android with Card view???!!! with 10000 apps???

Too fantastic??? Maybe... I just want responsive calendar app, video recording, shazam.... I really thought (or hoped) I would have them by now.... I'm just sad..
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    what are you talking about?

I am sick of these android threads.

edit:

As it has been said before Palm does not need to 'compete' with the other phone developers. There are people (such as myself) that are happy with the phone. If you think Android is so fantastic please switch devices and visit http://www.androidcentral.com/
  3.    #3  
    [QUOTE=MaxLOL;2006042]what are you talking about?

I am sick of these android threads.

edit:

As it has been said before Palm does not need to 'compete' with the other phone developers. There are people (such as myself) that are happy with the phone. If you think Android is so fantastic please switch devices and visit [url]

i'm asking whether palm can survive long term. And I do believe there is a format war in smart phone market and whether palm can survive it with webos alone is questionable. Thus, what if Palm took a different approach?? I didn't say android was better or anything to that effect. It just has better market acceptance. And more people are developing for it.
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    the hero sucks... Palm cannot and will not make an android device. That's htcs job to put out half *** phones every month. Palm are developers more than manufacturers now. They have the fastest progress of any smartphone company, ever. Yes even droid and apple. I had the hero for a week and wanted to snap it over my leg. Droid multitasks but it is sucha pain in the ****.
    you'll be back.
    Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    Sadly, I feel that Web-OS' future is pretty bleak. Not because it's a bad platform or anything. I'm just starting to doubt the ability of the market to fully support 4 or 5 competing smartphone formats.

And what about the developers? It's not fair for users to expect them to churn out 4 or 5 different versions of same app when they can just focus on a couple (yes, iPhone and Android) and make money.

Instead it just occurred to me what if Palm built an Android device with their spin on it; such as Sense by HTC...

Android with Card view???!!! with 10000 apps???

Too fantastic??? Maybe... I just want responsive calendar app, video recording, shazam.... I really thought (or hoped) I would have them by now.... I'm just sad..
    Doubt it. Makes too much sense for Palm to do it.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The problem I potentially see w/ Android is that with nobody owning the OS, nobody except Google has any incentive to make it the best OS out there. And since Google isn't selling Android, nobody will directly profit from it. I see Android evolving into more proprietary flavors over time, not necessarily compatible. This would fracture the app market.

WebOS is what Palm needs to succeed if the company wants to continue as a viable entity. I think they are going to do whatever to make WebOS the best OS. This would go a long way to selling a lot of phones.
    it makes too much sense for palm to abandon its long term plans and lose the millions of dollars its put into R&D as well as its own "brand" in order to adopt an os that is being watered down by every machine shop and "brand" that wants to save the energy of creating a unique os? Cardfan it makes NO SENSE.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Doubt it. Makes too much sense for Palm to do it.
    too much sense? you were the kid that always said "if you can't beat em, join em" weren't you? Lol welcome to earth and the corporate system of greedy ********. Everyone wants to be the best with no ones help. Webos is on the right track.

everyone needs to stop bashing on an OS that's been out for like 4 months and is still considered revolutionary.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I think WebOS is fine and will make its way around... soon enough.

However, I think Palm needs to let somebody else do hardware. =/
    The problem I potentially see w/ Android is that with nobody owning the OS, nobody except Google has any incentive to make it the best OS out there. And since Google isn't selling Android, nobody will directly profit from it.
    HTC and Motorola are using their respective "skins" to differentiate their Android phones from the rest of the flock. Their incentive for doing so is to make their product more attractive. As a side effect, their efforts make Android a better OS. (This is particularly true with SenseUI.) And because using Android doesn't cost the manufacturer any licensing fees, the overall expense to the manufacturer can be less. Using Android, then, can definitely increase profit.