Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Source: How Google (and Apple) Will Kill Palm Dead - Palm pre - Gizmodo

Don't know if anyone has seen this article on Gizmodo yet, but they have a really good point. And one that seems more and more likely. Which is a shame, because I like my pre, and I do not like square boring Android phones. Android to me feels like I'm down grading from using say Windows 7 or OS X to Ubuntu.

Still an interesting read. One that poses the question, what do you guys think of Palms future?
    I was just getting ready to post this article too. I like to think there is room in the marketplace for Palm to be a player. However; I am starting to worry about Palm's long term future especially with the Android starting to catch its stride. I wonder if Palm's fatal mistake wasn't partnering exclusively with Sprint for so long.
    Interesting article, but only one man's opinion. I think this is a 'possibility', but still WAY too early to make fact. Palm is a scrappy company with some good, strong investors who have some attainable dreams. IMHO, the only way Palm could end up as a ghost from the past would be for them to limit themselves to designing their own equipment. I think that if they were to take the WebOS platform and open it up for other hardware companies to adopt (and not follow Apple), they have a good chande of making it.

I remember when the same things were being said about Apple back in the '80's. Everyone had all but bought the tombstone for them... but they were scrappy too - going against all odds to compete in a market that was supposedly all sewn up. Palm just released this new OS and is learning to walk with it before they can run.

I can see Palm's future going either way. With the right management and some great hardware decisions, they can be a solid, profitable company - and around for many years. But if management tries to use the iPhone as the template for hardware strictness (and keep building their own equipment), don't allow developers to move faster, or even if they keep using marketing companies who think television ads like the "creepy" spots are a good idea... they could very well slowly fade away.

Personally, I've been loyal to Palm for MANY years, and through many products... I'm giving the investors the benefit of a doubt and think they can grow Palm back to being a main-player in the market once they make the final evolutionary move and realize they are now a software company and hardware is best left to others.

/my two cents
    Played with the hero a few times now, and honestly feel palm is much more refined. Droid does look cool and could be nicer...Overall I can see problems for palm getting off the ground b/c of google/apple...it would be really helpful if palm got a little more backing from a bigger company...one that has the resources to push the technology and dying mobile platform (hint hint: microsoft/nokia)...otherwise I can really see palm going the way of betamax...sad, cause I really do think it's a much more polished platform than people realize!
    I think if Palm releases a major OS upgrade (which includes video recording, voice dial, Flash support, and some of the homebrew features) AND comes out with a better SDK and some sort of OpenGL solution, they will be just fine. I doubt they will ever overtake the iPhone as far as market share, but as long as they are making money, they will be OK. Being a niche player is not always a bad thing. Worked for Apple for many years.

If Palm gets the big items fixed before they roll out on the Verizon network, things should be ducky. But if the Pre has to compete with the Droid as it stands today, it may get ugly.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    The article has no point. WebOS has only been in the market for 4 months and has taken off with an OS not even near its full potential. Also Palm has not done a worldwide launch yet and dont forget WiMax. Pre 2 might have it and a lot more which would give it a great leap forward. You shouldnt expect the Pre to be everything you've wanted. Palm gave you just enough to want more and see how the market responded.

The Pre 2 is where Im expecting Palm to bring out the big guns and launch to the rest of the world. Think how far we have came 4 months.....300 app...283 HB app...Hundreds of themes...and so much more already known to be on the way…Now think of where we will be in 8 more months when the pre 2 comes out. Looks like palm might be in a better position than apple or Android after their first year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjay4046 View Post
    The article has no point. WebOS has only been in the market for 4 months and has taken off with an OS not even near its full potential. Also Palm has not done a worldwide launch yet and dont forget WiMax. Pre 2 might have it and a lot more which would give it a great leap forward. You shouldnt expect the Pre to be everything you've wanted. Palm gave you just enough to want more and see how the market responded.

The Pre 2 is where Im expecting Palm to bring out the big guns and launch to the rest of the world. Think how far we have came 4 months.....300 app...283 HB app...Hundreds of themes...and so much more already known to be on the way…Now think of where we will be in 8 more months when the pre 2 comes out. Looks like palm might be in a better position than apple or Android after their first year.
    ((crossing fingers!!!))
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
    Android to me feels like I'm down grading from using say Windows 7 or OS X to Ubuntu.
    Windows 7 or OS X to Ubuntu is a downgrade? You lost me right there....
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Windows 7 or OS X to Ubuntu is a downgrade? You lost me right there....
    ya definately the wrong wording...i think what he is getting at is that windows, and definately mac, are like webos, in that they are simpler, more organized...great for someone who just wants a phone to do the basic things in an organized way. Android can get really complicated, and its cool, but not as smooth or easy to use as webos...but alot more open for develpment...same with ubuntu...
    Well, like the guy says, iPhone isn't going anywhere. So it's really about WebOS and Android. Certainly there's a *lot* of hype going on about Android, it has Google's backing and they have quite a few companies making handsets.

But I think it's just too early to make pronouncements like this. Palm's leaders have repeatedly said they don't have to be the "winner" in the smart phone market, just one of the top 5. And it's easy for folks like us to forget that the whole smart phone market is just in it's infancy ... well maybe like pre-school . Even though iPhone is the big guy on the block, their market share of the overall cell phone market is only like 2 or 3%. WebOS has some clear advantages over either iPhone or Android (and RIM too), and Palm will no doubt try to fill in some of the missing pieces soon.

Honestly, as much as I'd love to see Palm succeed, I'm not that invested in their success. The Pre was absolutely the right phone for me when I bought it a few months ago (and probably would still be today). In another year or two, who knows?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    ya definately the wrong wording...i think what he is getting at is that windows, and definately mac, are like webos, in that they are simpler, more organized...great for someone who just wants a phone to do the basic things in an organized way. Android can get really complicated, and its cool, but not as smooth or easy to use as webos...but alot more open for develpment...same with ubuntu...
    That's what I was getting at, and through in the polish too, win & mac have what I believe are nicer GUI's.

How the hell did this get into Cross-Platform Chat when this really has to do with the Palm Pre and not other devices.
    why do some people think there can be only one or two brands of any tech platform?
    Aside from smartphone freaks like us Pre and Droid dont really compete for the same market...iphone and blackberry have much more to fear than pre...for example Storm2 has to go heads up against droid this christmas who do you think will win?

Pre vs Hero vs Mytouch vs Curve is a much more realistic battle in the marketplace...Palm has not released its top of the line flagship device yet...
    Palm is fighting an uphill, unfair battle - the competition is firmly entrenched (Apple, RIM) or at least incredibly well funded (Google, Nokia) and Palm came out of the gate two years behind.

As a developer, I'm greatly disheartened by the limitations of Palm's platform. As a user, I'm worried that they just won't be able to deliver or compete. As an investor, I don't have enough throw-away money to speculate on a company that is barely above junk status. I'm not alone in any of those categories.

The bright side is that Palm has a vision and a neat prototype. They understand that Apple's success arises out of the "experience" their products create, and so WebOS has been designed to offer a simple, elegant, yet powerful, satisfying user experience. They also understand the need to offer a business platform, but here is where they've really stumbled and the prototype or "Beta" status of WebOS shows.

I'm giving them another three months to demonstrate that they are committed to quickly evolving their nascent platform. Realistically, the market will give them another six months tops. I wish them the best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    why do some people think there can be only one or two brands of any tech platform?
    You're right - it's more like 4 or 5: Blackberry, iPhone, WM, Android, and Symbian.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    They also understand the need to offer a business platform, but here is where they've really stumbled and the prototype or "Beta" status of WebOS shows.
    Palm stumbled BIG by not including a beefed up PIM applications like they had on there other phones. I was all set to purchase the Pre until two days before the release I found out that the PIM applications was missing A LOT of features. Because of the sub-par PIM applications, I did not purchase the Pre. Now I'm glad I did not buy the Pre because of all the reported hardware problems.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Gizmodo is a dreadfully biased Apple ****** site so I don't really pay much attention to to their opinion pieces. After all, this is the site that lumbered malware advertising on its users because they didn't have a single Windows machine in their office to check it with first.

Doh!
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post

History?
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    Gizmodo is a dreadfully biased Apple ****** site so I don't really pay much attention to to their opinion pieces.
    How would you know they were biased if you didn't pay any attention to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    After all, this is the site that lumbered malware advertising on its users because they didn't have a single Windows machine in their office to check it with first.
    Which sounds like a lesson for all the Windows users out there.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    .Palm has not released its top of the line flagship device yet...
    em.. it's called the Pre. I've seen a few people make those "there is a top of the line device coming out" posts. Can anyone supply *any* evidence to support this wishful thinking?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast