Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Oh by the way, I figured out why the colors on the T-615 can look odd and "washed-out." There really isn't anything you can do about it but I just figured some of you would be curious.

The screen itself is FINE. The colors are true at the pixel level. It is the backlight that messes up the colors. The backlight is NOT WHITE. It is slightly bluish. This blue tint skews the chroma of the colors on the screen when you have the light on. That is why people's skin tones can look "zombified." ^_^

It shifts all the chroma's of the color spectrum being displayed by the screen down making it look washed out.

This effect can be seen if you look at anything under a bluish light. All the colors seem slightly washed out under blueshift. In any case, if you look at pictures in picture gear that seem washed out, then turn off the backlight and get under a VERY POWERFUL light (halogen preferably) then you will see the picture looks exactly right (and conversely the pics that you have over-saturated that look good under backlight will look weird with it off)

I think what they should have done was use a much lighter colored, or even slightly mirrored reflective backing instead of the almost black one they have - I wonder if there is a way to modify the T-615 to replace the reflective backing?

-Trotsky

ADDED: Look at an m505 and a T-615 side by side with the screen turned off. The m505 has a light grey backing, the T-615 has a dark grey, almost black backing. BAD CHOICE SONY! The backlight for the T-615 is brighter but with the backlights off the m505 is clearly brighter due to its superior backing.
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    . . . Look at an m505 and a T-615 side by side with the screen turned off. The m505 has a light grey backing, the T-615 has a dark grey, almost black backing. BAD CHOICE SONY! The backlight for the T-615 is brighter but with the backlights off the m505 is clearly brighter due to its superior backing.
    I just leave the light on all the time. T-615 screen looks great.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by mikedemo

I just leave the light on all the time. T-615 screen looks great.
    For about 4 hours after which time it is useless. I don't think so Mike.

-Trotsky
    Originally posted by Trotsky

For about 4 hours after which time it is useless. I don't think so Mike.

-Trotsky
    Let me clarify. I don't use my PDA 4 hours straight. I do use it all day and find it is great. (God forbid you see my Datebook and ToDo list) The device is mainly a PDA to me and is used 90% of the time for that. For those who need a much longer life, especially for mp3 playback get a 710/760. Now there are battery saving techniques like

Turning beam recieve off
    Turning off or lowering system sounds
    Lowering game sounds
    Turn off LED alarm (which is almost useless)
    Turning off devices when done (as opposed to letting timer do it for you.)
    Adjust the brightness for power savings (I've actually been able to use it at its lowest setting all every day. If I want to show off photos, thats when i turn it up.)

The beauty of the Clie line is that they truly have a diverse line up with many pros and few cons. Get the Clie that meets your needs. And this T-615 meets it more than any of the others to date. If you have a 760 and are happy stick with it. Over time I realized form factor is very important to me so the 615 won me over.

PS: I think thats why Slotmachine is still on a M505, it met his most important criteria, Form Factor
    -Mikedemo
    Trotsky! You're the Sherlock Holmes of PDAs!

I took my T615C out today in bright sunlight, switched off the backlight and turned on Bejeweled -- and there be Red Reds here!

And after all these complaints of bad screens, no one else looked to check this out! You got the good before PalmInfoCenter!

Actually, I have to suggest that the blue light may enhance readability of black/white text -- so it may be that the choice of a blue backlight was still a good choice for most people.

Anyway, man -- good sleuthing!
    Last edited by bookrats; 02/14/2002 at 01:13 PM.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Trotsky! You're the Sherlock Holmes of PDAs! . . .

ditto
    -Mikedemo
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by mikedemo

Let me clarify. I don't use my PDA 4 hours straight. I do use it all day and find it is great. (God forbid you see my Datebook and ToDo list) The device is mainly a PDA to me and is used 90% of the time for that. For those who need a much longer life, especially for mp3 playback get a 710/760. Now there are battery saving techniques like
    As far are your "techniques," I use all of them: I have all sounds off except alarms, I have beam-receive off, I have the backlight on lowest setting always, etc etc. However there is ONE technique that you did not mention (and with good reason) that I would like to be available - Turning the backlight OFF. The m505 is quite usable with the backlight off - in fact this is the main "battery saving technique" on the m505. However because the T-615 is nearly unusable with the light off, this is not a viable technique for this device.

With all sounds off (and other extras off) and with the light on the lowest setting the T-615 gets about 4-5 hours of solid use (with a 30 minute reserve so that your memory won't die). Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the T-615. It just seems like they made a weird decision to put in a reflective backing that is nearly black.

What I would like to be able to do is use the T-615 without the light sometimes. With the m505 (which has a FAR inferior backlight) I was able to use it with the light off in well lit areas. However because of the light absorbing qualities of the T-615's reflective (I use the term loosely) backing it is almost impossible to find a situation in which I can use the T-615 with the light off.

I am currently emailing back and forth with a couple of Clie tinkerers about the possibility of switching the backing for a whitish or even silvery backing. It may all come to naught - but we'll see! (If the backing is separate from the LCD glass - which it probably is - then it would simply be a matter of opening the case and slipping a piece of glossy white paper between the backing and the LCD glass.)

Also I'd like to find out what kind of led they used and see if I can find a replacement that is optically pure white.

-Trotsky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12