Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I think we have a winner here, or at least serious competition for the Pre and iPhone. I am a Centro user on Verizon (it is the network) waiting for the Pre but this phone looks like it could tempt me away from Palm. Especially with Google's muscle backing future apps.

Talk me out of this.
    I took a good look at this phone. It looks like a great device but still doesn't offer the PIM of a Palm and Centro.

It seems like there are some 3rd party solutions coming in 2010 though so I'll keep an eye on it.

Looks like 2010 is gonna be a year of tremendous choices.
    I've been a PalmOS user for over 10 years, and had been thinking I would move to WebOS, but lately I've been leaning more towards Android. If I have to abandon PalmOS anyway, I want to consider all options.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    but still doesn't offer the PIM of a Palm and Centro.
    This is the main reason I'm looking at the Storm2. All PIMs sync with Outlook.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    This is the main reason I'm looking at the Storm2. All PIMs sync with Outlook.

Good Luck
    The RIM PIMs are beyond awful, especially the calendar. I went from DateBk 6 to RIM (at work) and immediately got a Centro for personal use just so I could have a useful calendar app.
    Count me in on this too. I'm a current VZW Centro user and my new every two comes up in Feb. I like the form factor and usability of the Pre better than the Droid. However, the Droid seems to have more potential and the functionality is better than the Pre. My friend just bought one and it's nice. It's not as user friendly as the Pre but definitely tolerable. Looks like the Sling player is going to be out on it too. It should look sweet with the higher resolution screen.

Glad I have until Feb to see how things shake out in the mean time.
    google will own you !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    go for the droid. the price point is too close to decide on the pre. Unless palm steps up and really makes the pre in a different design or steps up manufacturing, I think you'll be happier with the droid. If I had to guess, the pre will probably be 99.00 on verizon.

12000 apps android vs 356 pre currently
    all options out of the box from droid
    better build quality
    bigger screen
    better keyboard with dpad
    higher mp cam
    backed by google
    new google maps
    widgets

I can keep going......
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpuglisi View Post
    The RIM PIMs are beyond awful, especially the calendar. I went from DateBk 6 to RIM (at work) and immediately got a Centro for personal use just so I could have a useful calendar app.
    I know exactly what you're talking about since my wife has a BB. However the direct sync to Outlook is critical for me.

Tks for the input jdpuglisi
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I don't think anyone should try to talk you out of it. Try both phones(go to a Sprint store and try it out, just to say you did), and make your decision based on what you like best, not what company you want to stay loyal to.
    I was at work today and my manager walks by and drops off both a Droid and Eris on my desk and says "check these out." It was really surprising and I was excited because it was my first experience with Android, and it happened to be with the most hyped Android handset to date.

I found the hardware to be extremely durable feeling and well made. The phone is pretty heavy and in fact felt heavier than an iPhone 3G (had a coworker's to compare) and also looked and felt bigger, although the dimensions were about the same. You kind of felt like you had more than a phone in your hand; almost as if this was one of those ultra mobile PCs. However despite the size, it was still pretty pocketable.

The OS is snappy - I didn't notice it lag once. Web browsing was fast (on EVDO only) and the screen really stands out when you're browsing - things are unbelievably crisp and clear. Google maps is great and works well, and the widgets are fun to customize. The camera is terrific - much better than the Pre.

I did have a lot of disappointments, however. The keyboard absolutely sucks. It's pretty much unusable. The on screen keyboard is, well, an on screen keyboard. I felt more comfortable typing with the Eris than the Droid. Probably the biggest issue I have with the phone, however, isnt with the hardware but the software. Android is great, it's nice looking, has a bunch of apps for it, and the widgets are cool. But to do anything is clunky and annoying and never ever straightforward. I sat down with my manager (an iPhone owner) and we tried doing routine tasks and each time it took us minutes (lots of minutes!!) to figure out how to do things like customize screens, add widgets, add accounts, and other pretty basic tasks. He made a comment about my phone and said "you know I picked up your Pre and in 3 seconds knew my way around it, but this just doesnt make sense." Personally, I felt that's a good way to sum things up. Android does not allow you to do things quickly for the most part, and there is never a 1 touch access (that I know of) to things you would use the most. Often time things require you to go to the homescreen and start from scratch. Oh, and there doesnt seem to be a way to kill applications that are running in the background.

In my opinion, Android doesnt beat WebOS when it comes to functionality or ease of use. While the hardware is better than anything Palm puts out and the OS is snappy and has features, it just doesnt make up for lacking the utility that's offered in WebOS. This was my first time using Android, and I may have missed trying a lot of features, but the Droid just isnt in the same league as WebOS when it comes to usability. Still a nice phone though.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mrsyeltzin; 11/11/2009 at 08:14 PM.
    ^^ Having had the Droid for a day now I do agree the OS takes getting used to and right out of the box will not be as intuitive as WebOS. However once you learn the basic layout of Android, it's actually very simple to get to the important settings and to multitask. I had the same thoughts about Android phones in general. Now having one kinda changes my perspective.

I have to disagree with your statement about functionality though. It has all the functionality and then some. IMO, this thing eats the iPhone for lunch in terms of UI sleekness - again, once a little time is spent getting to know it.

WebOS is in a league of its own in terms of interface. It just needs time to mature. I really hope Palm gets that time, because in the end it will be worth it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I've had 'em all. Treo, BB, Centro, Pre, Droid. I am currently using my Pre and my wife a Droid, so I have direct comparisons. The build quality on the Droid is SOLID. That said, it is a bit large and heavy. The Palm feels better in your hand for wise, but the build just isn't as sturdy. The larger screen on the Droid is beautiful.

The Droid OS is just as responsive- I see a bit more lag on my Pre than the Droid. It is not as intuitive as WebOS. The abundance of apps on the droid blows the Pre away. As good as any smartphone is out of the box, we all like our apps that do what we like. There are still just too few out there for the Palm.

Although both physical keyboards leave something to be desired, they both work well. I wish Palm's has been horizontal and given us more room. The virtual keyboard on the Droid is good- not quite as good as the iPhone, but close. No offense, but the one available for the Pre is a hack job and is laggy with no autocorrect. For quick responses, I like not having to slide it open.

Battery life is better on the Droid as well. Not mountains better, but better. This could just be the coverage area I'm in. Verizon's coverage blows Sprint away here and much of the time I roam on Verizon with my Pre.

Voice activation on the Droid is very well done and integrated with web search and navigation. Palm has none.

All of this said, I still like the Pre. It feels good in your hand. If it were a bit more solid, had more diverse apps, and voice recognition there would be no question. WebOS is beautiful. The Droid is going to be the phone that puts Android on the map. Neither the Pre or Pixi will do this for Palm. IF we see an updated and more solid Pre for Verizon SOON, Palm may be able to compete. I hope they do because, although it could be better, I like my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    ^^ Having had the Droid for a day now I do agree the OS takes getting used to and right out of the box will not be as intuitive as WebOS. However once you learn the basic layout of Android, it's actually very simple to get to the important settings and to multitask. I had the same thoughts about Android phones in general. Now having one kinda changes my perspective.

I have to disagree with your statement about functionality though. It has all the functionality and then some. IMO, this thing eats the iPhone for lunch in terms of UI sleekness - again, once a little time is spent getting to know it.

WebOS is in a league of its own in terms of interface. It just needs time to mature. I really hope Palm gets that time, because in the end it will be worth it.
    I'm sure if I were to have it for a week I would get used to the operating system. It was a bit hard because this wasn't my phone and nothing was set up (personal email, work email, calendars, etc) so I couldnt fully test how I would use the phone. I like the OS, and I feel that there is a lot you can do with it, I just felt that it's not as quick to use as WebOS.
    I remember when people used to say that the iPhone was a toy and anyone can use it, making it not a smartphone. I wonder why people are saying the pre is the exact same way. So if the pre is so easy to use. Then is that a smartphone prprpr $a$ $dummy$ $phone$ $like$ $the$ $iPhone$.

Me personally I like a complicated phone. I don't want other people to pick it up and simply learn it in a couple minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I remember when people used to say that the iPhone was a toy and anyone can use it, making it not a smartphone. I wonder why people are saying the pre is the exact same way. So if the pre is so easy to use. Then is that a smartphone prprpr $a$ $dummy$ $phone$ $like$ $the$ $iPhone$.

Me personally I like a complicated phone. I don't want other people to pick it up and simply learn it in a couple minutes.
    there is a pretty large difference between a phone that is intuitive and one that is simplistic. To me, the Pre walks a fine line between the two (but is steadily improving). When it evolves to include features expected of former Palm, Blackberry, and WM power users, it will combine a simple interface much like the iPhone and have the power of a real PDA. I can understand and appreciate where you're coming from, however I feel that Android has some improvements to make before it can be in my pocket full time.
    I do agree the pre is intuitive, but love the customizing that can be done on windows and android. I have a snooping girlfriend and she loves to go through my phone when I'm in the shower. With my current phone, the hero, she is clueless. When I had the pre she would be all over it. Not that there is anything to hide but its annoying. Being too easy to use leaves you vulnerable to private info being accessed pretty easy. Not that I have anything to hide, but I'm just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I do agree the pre is intuitive, but love the customizing that can be done on windows and android. I have a snooping girlfriend and she loves to go through my phone when I'm in the shower. With my current phone, the hero, she is clueless. When I had the pre she would be all over it. Not that there is anything to hide but its annoying. Being too easy to use leaves you vulnerable to private info being accessed pretty easy. Not that I have anything to hide, but I'm just saying.
    I loved how I could customize WM and that is certainly a feature of Android that I enjoyed. There are times that I do miss the customization and total control I used to have over my phone, but day to day I think the feature of quick access to information wins in that regard (I still keep a WM phone to play with though).

As for the girlfriend...well, I'm sorry. Try setting your PIN and make it some other girl's birthdate.
    I saw this phone. 2 of my friends have it. One is a long time customer of Verizon. The other switched to the phone due to AT&T lack of data coverage in our area. Yes he had an iPhone 3GS. I don't like the keyboard on this device. I did how ever LOVE the onscreen keyboard.