Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It's a pretty fair comparison. The Pre wins on Price, loses on Apps, and is about the same everywhere else.

Total Cost of Ownership: Motorola Droid versus iPhone 3GS versus Palm Pre
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I was gonna post this. We are obviously the savvy shoppers in the cell phone service game. Don't be surprised if at&t and Verizon do a price drop. Sprint is obviously the only company with any sense in this recession.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    With the Any Mobile Anytime, I would consider the Everything 450 more "average" than Everything 900. Drops that to $69.99 a month and under $2k over 2 years.
    This is not a fair comparison. Coverage varies between the carriers, and not everyone wants a package with everything included at a relatively high price.

If it were, Sprint would be the #1 carrier instead of being a distant 3.

I am a Pre fan, but not a Sprint one.
    I edited this, post originally it wasn't relevant to discussion

for me, I have a 23% discount through work/school which sprint allows me to apply to my entire family plan, thus saving me and my wife nearly $2500 over the 2 years, compared to the same plan with all the fixin's on big V.

Honestly, I don't care what cool phones come out on other carriers, for 2500 bucks they can cram it with wall-nuts.
    Last edited by windzilla; 10/28/2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: making it actually relevent and not all irrelevent and whatnot
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    This is not a fair comparison. Coverage varies between the carriers, and not everyone wants a package with everything included at a relatively high price.

If it were, Sprint would be the #1 carrier instead of being a distant 3.

I am a Pre fan, but not a Sprint one.
    If you want nationwide 3G data (not including T-mobile's spattering of 3G cities in this) then Sprint is the cheapest, even with if you don't need all the features.

I fully agree that coverage varies but I mean, Verizon's data alone costs almost as much as Sprint's Everything 450 plan.

Anyway, the only thing that I personally could use that's included on that chart is the digital compass that both the 3GS and Droid have. I do use Sprint Nav and Google Maps for walking pretty often, and would love if it told me "start by going left on Main Street" rather than "start by going north on Main Street" and the like.

... Though of course the Pre's 258 apps does look pathetic compared to the thousands on other platforms, that's not really too big a deal to me at this point.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Sprint fan here. I won't even consider switching carriers until the others come down in price. Though I wish Sprint would get a better selection of phones. The only reason I got the Pre for my wife and I is that its the best Sprint has to offer. If they got the Droid I'd be very happy.
    Clearly he was reviewing a new Pre, from the future. Mine doesn't get 300hrs of standby (or 5hrs of talk for that mater).

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/28/2009 at 07:56 PM.
    For some reason he's going by standby as being all radios off. None of the three phones come close to 300 hours otherwise.
    That's like measuring MPG with the automobile engine off. This guy is jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    For some reason he's going by standby as being all radios off. None of the three phones come close to 300 hours otherwise.
    I do miss the widgets on android, that's the only thing i wished they would add for the pre!
    It's a good thing all apps & accessories are free and don't factor at all. Coverage map in your location, any mobile any time, rollover minutes, a-list...not factors either. Resale value, durability, etc..not factors either.

Which basically means, you're buying into a platform. If i switch from iphone to a Droid for instance, i have to (at least in my mind) buy a number of apps just to replace even a third of what i already own right off the bat. Then there's extra chargers and what not. Not that i would do this since Verizon doesn't have 3G in my area. '

At least with the Pre, my wife hasn't bought one app yet. We'd have to sell some touchstones and Pre's themselves, but it'd be relatively cheap for her to get an iphone considering i could simply share all of my apps with her as well as some accessories. But she likes the Pre and its physical kb for now.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The Droid looks like it will give the Pre and iPhone serious competition. I am a Verizon customer (it is the network), Centro user waiting for the Pre, but the Droid sure looks like it could meet my needs. And with Google backing for apps, this could be the phone of the future.

Talk me out of this thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRKayak View Post
    The Droid looks like it will give the Pre and iPhone serious competition. I am a Verizon customer (it is the network), Centro user waiting for the Pre, but the Droid sure looks like it could meet my needs. And with Google backing for apps, this could be the phone of the future.

Talk me out of this thinking.
    If you're already with verizone I see no reason for you to get anything else but teh Droing. I have the Pre and if the Droid came to sprint I would pick it up today. I mean comone better and bigger screen. Way better resolution. 10,000 apps. A awsome google gps with street view. I actually would pick it up over the iphone if they both were available through sprint, but for me I see no reason to shell out double to money to verizone when in my area Sprint has the best reception and 3g speeds.
    I still don't get these numbers for the Iphone. Evryone I know does not pay 149 for their plan, most are around 80-90$ for everything, which brings the iphone much closer to the Pre and Sprint. I always want to use the pricing agurment with Iphone users but they always show me a bill that is under 100$?!
    I have the everything data 450min plan. It comes out to about $87 when all of the fees and Texas taxes are added on. Its the perfect fit for me, as i dont talk as much as i use the web and messaging. plus, with the any mobile anytime, i use about 50 minutes a month now. So i pay about $2100 over 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREvision View Post
    I still don't get these numbers for the Iphone. Evryone I know does not pay 149 for their plan, most are around 80-90$ for everything, which brings the iphone much closer to the Pre and Sprint. I always want to use the pricing agurment with Iphone users but they always show me a bill that is under 100$?!
    BillShrink gives you the averages as well.

Iphone - 2839

Pre - 2309

Droid - 2839

Pre is still 500 bucks cheaper though.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Yeah, their idea of average is unlimited messaging, (at least) 5GB of data and 900 minutes of anytime minutes.

Personally, I think that's a bit high. Most people I know can get by with 450 minutes a month plus a couple hundred text messages ($5-$10 add on, instead of $20 for unlimited).

I think Sprint still wins, but probably only with $10 a month or so.
    I agree with the previous poster. Around $10-20 so I think the savings are not a real deal breaker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast